Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

shuffles03 wrote: »

That's good. It's been a long while since I sold my ps3, do they offer games on demand like that currently? If so, how do the prices compare to b&m shops and online retailers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

maximoose wrote: »

That's good. It's been a long while since I sold my ps3, do they offer games on demand like that currently? If so, how do the prices compare to b&m shops and online retailers?

They don't set prices, some games would be 49 or 59 and if it's a EA game it'll be something stupid like 70.

Those would be the highest none sale prices, I got far cry 3 for 25 shortly after launch during the Christmas sale which was cheaper that the 50 and 55 most shops were looking for at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

With the potential behind the Gaikai technology, Sony could position themselves really well next gen. Imagine PS Plus offering instant access to PS1, 2 and possibly 3 games. Brilliant.

In order to do that, I'd imagine there would be different tiers for Plus. An entry level price versus a premium level. Fine by me if we get loads of content in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Varik wrote: »
    They don't set prices, some games would be 49 or 59 and if it's a EA game it'll be something stupid like 70.

Those would be the highest none sale prices, I got far cry 3 for 25 shortly after launch during the Christmas sale which was cheaper that the 50 and 55 most shops were looking for at the time.

In NA the games are cheaper online than they are in retail

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

MarkY91 wrote: »
    how long into 2014 are we talking? 2 weeks is hardly the end of the world. anything more than its a joke

Mid-Feb like the Vita

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

battlefield 4 is coming to PS4. Great news ! I am going to wait until PS4 arrives in Europe and get battlefield 4 on the PS4 even if its next February.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Sony's big PS4 announcement event claimed the machine will see a launch at the end of 2013. But where? Here? Japan? Somewhere in Europe? Even Sony doesn't seem to know the answer to that one yet.

Speaking to Digital Spy, Sony's European gaming MD Fergal Gara said: "We will launch it this year. Exactly what regions, what timing, is being worked through. Which regions in 2013 - is it all of them, is it some of them? Is there some degree of phasing? We'll reveal that in more detail later, but we can't yet."

He then went on to say that PS4 should launch in "at least" one country. Which is more than zero countries and technically could be as many as two countries or infinite countries. We, and probably he, just don't have a clue yet.

We suspect the boring eventual answer will be that PlayStation4 will hit US first, Japan second then Europe some time in early 2014, should Sony decide to copy the launch of the PS3. Not that you'd really want to emulate the dismal launch of the PS3 in any way, mind.

Source

I bet that 1 country will be Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Hogzy wrote: »
    Source

I bet that 1 country will be Japan.

With the possible launch titles including Killzone, inFamous and Watch Dogs, and a much bigger emphasis on social gaming, if they only release in one country, it will be America IMO. It just seems to be geared much more at a western audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Otacon wrote: »
    With the possible launch titles including Killzone, inFamous and Watch Dogs, and a much bigger emphasis on social gaming, if they only release in one country, it will be America IMO. It just seems to be geared much more at a western audience.

Im fairly sure the same thing happened with the PS3 though and Japan was the first market to get the PS3 albeit only a week or so before the USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Why wouldn't hey do a worldwide launch? The ps3 launch was a joke.

Do you think it's lack of hardware? Or a staggered release for another reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,163 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So if Wii U was considered a rushed launch but was able to launch everywhere more or less within a month, does that mean the PS4 is even more of a rushed launch?

And if you don't mind me asking, why does people want to get it on launch day? Why not wait to see if any problems arise and bugs need ironed out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,540 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

List of confirmed PS4 developers shrinks to 30 as a few took hissy fits seeing their names in the original announcement then they confirmed nothing.

No Falcom, there goes my hopes of a HD Ys or Legend of Heroes games :(

http://www.thegamingliberty.com/2013/02/sony-revises-list-of-confirmed-playstation-4-developers/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

srumball wrote: »
    Why wouldn't hey do a worldwide launch? The ps3 launch was a joke.

Do you think it's lack of hardware? Or a staggered release for another reason?

there may be a limit on components but usually what happens is that they wont start final manufacture until august-september once all components in stock they then work out how many units they can build.

Theres then 2 options

1)a global release where stock in all regions will be severely limited. This can hurt hype sales (week 1) and its harder on logistics and new batch allocations

I cant remember exactly but it was nearly march before there was a decent supply of 360's in shops after release

2) they prioritize regions (in sonys case 1)Japan, 2)NA, 3)EU) this allows them to place that million or so consoles not sold in europe into japan and NA and making sure there isnt a 2-3 month shortage

It also factors in the break foundries take over Christmas and that extra 2 months of manufacturing ensures EU have a healthy stock

Its easier on the companies to stagger releases from a manufacturing pov

the 360 had 350,000 units for sale in NA and 300,000 in EU and 100,000 in japan

if sonys launch stock was 350,000 300,000 200,000 then pushing eu out to 2014 would then NA would have 550,000 and japan would have 300,000 and Europe would probably get 5/600,000 at launch 2 months later

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    List of confirmed PS4 developers shrinks to 30 as a few took hissy fits seeing their names in the original announcement then they confirmed nothing.

http://www.thegamingliberty.com/2013/02/sony-revises-list-of-confirmed-playstation-4-developers/

A good few devs who were on the original list also came out to say that they're making something even though the new list didn't have their name on it.

Think it was eurogamer that had some quotes from devs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

On the + side, a March 2014 release wi;; give time for the firmware/software to mature a little bit. I read articles that said updates will take place in the background, you can play a game while updating.

Stock availability will be another issue for a phased release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

On the + side, a March 2014 release wi;; give time for the firmware/software to mature a little bit. I read articles that said updates will take place in the background, you can play a game while updating.

Well holy cow, welcome to the future, Sony.

Turn on PS3 to watch something on netflix. There's an update and Netflix won't load without it. Download update, unpackage it then install it as you leave people sitting there.

Why was the 360 so much faster at installing updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Pre-ordered mine, the girl in there said I can come back to change the order to my preferred SKU once made available!

I paid €20 on it, my friend has a €100 credit voucher for Gamestop, he said he'd give it to me for €70, does anyone know can I use this on my pre-order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,163 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As far as I know, the 360 downloaded and installed updates while PS3 downloads and reinstalls the entire firmware. So imagine if every time there was an update to Windows instead of just downloading the update, it downloaded the entire OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

iDann wrote: »
    I paid €20 on it, my friend has a €100 credit voucher for Gamestop, he said he'd give it to me for €70, does anyone know can I use this on my pre-order?

yep shouldn't be a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Retr0gamer wrote: »

They did say that the new list was only a confirmed list of who is actually working on a PS4 title. Still 30 games from the get go is not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Can't wait for the new version of Lee Carvello's Putting Challenge in HD graphics!

CastorTroy wrote: »
    As far as I know, the 360 downloaded and installed updates while PS3 downloads and reinstalls the entire firmware. So imagine if every time there was an update to Windows instead of just downloading the update, it downloaded the entire OS.

It's used delta updates since 3.41.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Skerries wrote: »
    Can't wait for the new version of Lee Carvello's Putting Challenge in HD graphics!

"May I suggest Putter!" "You have selected, 3 Wood"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i see SKU mentioned alot here. what does it stand for?

Stock keeping unit, basically any product on a shop shelf, or in this instance different model playstations etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Can't understand people paying money at this stage to pre order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

SKU sounds more like an STD than anyting to do with gaming TBF

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hopefully they'll give us a release date soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I have to say it killed a lot of hype in me, when I found it might be delayed till march for us peasants in Europe. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement