Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

But presumably Sony cannot afford to take huge early strategic losses on the PS4 the same way it did with the PS3?

It's hemorrhaging cash
    Sony shares dropped the most in four years after reporting an eighth consecutive quarter of losses, an unpleasant surprise for investors who borrowed money to buy the stock on bets the weaker yen would help turn around Japan’s biggest exporter of consumer electronics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm not sure why people are worried about the new game price point. As others have said, it's the same price that the RRP for new games is today.

Games will definitely be more expensive in a year or two's time because of the failure of the main two places to buy games on the high street and the closing of the tax loop-hole that several websites exploited. It's not a PS3/X720 thing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Vyse wrote: »
    Why? There's a reason PC games are cheaper than console games, the publisher doesn't have to pay a licence fee to Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo.

You expected the games to rise to €70 a pop, I know Sony takes a cut of the spoils but I pointed out that because the ps4 is now basically a pc it should cost the companies far less to program for, which would if anything cause the price of games to drop rather than rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Just rewatched the intro video to the conference, forgot how awesome it is. Sony can really play the nostalgia card, the last 40 seconds are epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Just rewatched the intro video to the conference, forgot how awesome it is. Sony can really play the nostalgia card, the last 40 seconds are epic.

Couldn't agree more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You expected the games to rise to €70 a pop, I know Sony takes a cut of the spoils but I pointed out that because the ps4 is now basically a pc it should cost the companies far less to program for, which would if anything cause the price of games to drop rather than rise.

If they raise the price it won't be down to development costs, it'll be because they think they can get that price. What something costs to manufacture does not dictate the prices, what does is how much customers are willing to pay for it and the profits from it. The development/manufacturing cost are used to decide if you should go ahead with a project at all.

sony1.jpg

sony2.jpg

sony3.jpg

sony4.jpg

sony5.jpg

sony6.jpg

sony7.jpg

sony8.jpg

engadget

The new interface looks nice. I guess it really depends on how it responds to users than what it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

aindriu80 wrote: »
    sony2.jpg

The new interface looks nice. I guess it really depends on how it responds to users than what it looks like.

I'm not sure I like the main UI. It seems like a cross between the Metro UI and Facebook's timeline stuff. Depends on how it works though.

Otacon wrote: »
    I'm not sure I like the main UI. It seems like a cross between the Metro UI and Facebook's timeline stuff. Depends on how it works though.

I couldn't put my finger on it but it seems to shape up a bit like what the new store is like. If you like the new store then fine. I think its a bit clunky and maybe the new interface is awkward ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Otacon wrote: »

If it was just the analogue sticks and D-pad then this would suck but with a touch pad it should be good.

I can't wait for some of these great exclusive.....like
    Combat Plane 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Varik wrote: »
    I can't wait for some of these great exclusive.....like
    Combat Plane 2

Or Racing Star. Looks sweet!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,163 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

220 trophies in Knack? Think that's taking the p!ss. "You have moved an inch" "You have moved to a new room".

Curious now if Killzone and Infamous were in that when it flashed on screen before their announcements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Varik wrote: »
    If they raise the price it won't be down to development costs, it'll be because they think they can get that price. What something costs to manufacture does not dictate the prices, what does is how much customers are willing to pay for it and the profits from it. The development/manufacturing cost are used to decide if you should go ahead with a project at all.

Look i'm trying to make the point that logically prices should drop rather than rise, I know realistically speaking that they'll charge whatever to get as much profit as possible. Stop reading between the lines.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

engadget

The blue is way too over powering on it.

The blue is way too over powering on it.

It's a bit better to the colour they use on the new store.

I can't call it an operating system, its more of a series of tiles showing a preset gamer information. No sign of apps or browser. It might be a bit boring but I guess its really about the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

It's a bit better to the colour they use on the new store.

I can't call it an operating system, its more of a series of tiles showing a preset gamer information. No sign of apps or browser. It might be a bit boring but I guess its really about the games.

Looks a bit cluttered. I like my XMB.
    Except for you Singstar. You and I will never be friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,163 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

sin0city wrote: »
    Looks a bit cluttered. I like my XMB.
    Except for you Singstar. You and I will never be friends.

Singstar, the Kip Drordy of PS3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

As long as it's responsive I'll be happy. The ps store is an absolute pain to deal with, takes ages to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

That video pretty much summed up my last 15 years of gaming. I still remember getting enough money for my confirmation all those years ago to buy a console. I nearly bought a Sega Saturn but the guy in Game convinced me to get a Playstation. Bravo sir. Bravo to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

[sarcasm] Yeah, imagine being stuck with Marvel Vs Capcom, Burning Rangers, Nights, Sega Rally, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Daytona, Xmen Children of the Atom and Radiant Silvergun... the horror the horror.... [/sarcasm]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I don't know why, but the way that video has

PUSH THE
    BOUNDARIES
    OF
    PLAY

instead of

PUSH
    THE
    ..etc

annoys me.

Great video otherwise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

All the video uploading and sharing and streaming and friend tripe looks so stupid.

Might as well call it Playstation Facebook, and thats not a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

mdwexford wrote: »
    All the video uploading and sharing and streaming and friend tripe looks so stupid.

everyone likes to share everything these days. theyre only giving what the average gamer would want. some of it would be handy. but others would be useless sharing stuff like with facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Streaming and uploading is massive at the moment, so there are many people who would disagree with you.

For me, it's one of the more exciting aspects of the hardware. I've always wished I had capture hardware while playing games to upload some great moments or full playthroughs.
    Also, since local multi-player is basically in the past, it's a great way for me to share my experiences with my friends and get involved with theirs.

And of course, it seems that this side of the Playstation can be totally avoided if you want it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Morpork wrote: »
    Streaming and uploading is massive at the moment, so there are many people who would disagree with you.

For me, it's one of the more exciting aspects of the hardware. I've always wished I had capture hardware while playing games to upload some great moments or full playthroughs.
    Also, since local multi-player is basically in the past, it's a great way for me to share my experiences with my friends and get involved with theirs.

And of course, it seems that this side of the Playstation can be totally avoided if you want it that way.

i know you can stream your gameplay to your psn account for people to wathc on their ps4. but can it be streamed online for people to watch on pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I really don't understand why people have a problem with this.. if you don't want to use the social features, its simple... don't.
    Sony have said they will respect people's privacy and won't force anybody to use the social features.

Morpork wrote: »

Uploading funny videos or stuff to Youtube or Facebook maybe but I wont have any interest in some goal one of my mates scored in Fifa or something. Maybe thats just me.

Personally I miss local multiplayer and found it much more fun than playing online. I guess im just an old dinosaur. :)
    I really don't understand why people have a problem with this.. if you don't want to use the social features, its simple... don't.
    Sony have said they will respect people's privacy and won't force anybody to use the social features.

I dont have a problem and realise I can ignore these features to some degree.

Guess I would just rather they focused their efforts elsewhere rather than stuff im not interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Guess I would just rather they focused their efforts elsewhere rather than stuff im not interested in.

Thats not selfish at all...

Thats not selfish at all...

Yeah I guess I should think of all the poor little teenagers who want to send each other gold coins and clips of them clearing parts of games.

GTFO

• Advertisement

one thing i do like is being able to see the actual game before i jump into a game. There has been a fair few times when the round is nearly over and I wished I could have known that before I joined. Sometimes it would take a fair few attempts to get a good multiplayer game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement