Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Sony’s 4K Movie Streaming Will Work on PS4—At 100GB a Pop
    Ashley Feinberg
    While there's still little known about Sony's efforts to pioneer the first 4K movie download service, one thing we can say almost definitely now is that the service will in fact be compatible with its (supposedly) upcoming PS4. In an interview with The Verge, Sony President and COO Phil Molyneux almost sort of definitely confirmed that the service would be compatible with the ethereal console by promising that we "will not be disappointed." Oh, and by the way, a typical 4K movie download will chew up more than 100 GB of bandwidth.

So when the PS4 actually does take shape, and if Sony's service actually is compatible, there's still the small problem of these downloads being wholly impractical for the average user, especially in the age of data caps. Apparently Molyneux is looking on the bright side of things, as he's called these excruciatingly long download times "a journey." There is some relatively legitimate good news, though, as Sony announced plans to roll out a lot more movies for the service in time for summer. And you should have them downloaded and ready to watch just in time for fall. [The Verge]

How much does the new blu ray on the PS4 hold ? I thought 4k would be via blu ray only.

I can't myself getting a 4k TV ever and recently saw a scientific test showing the marginal difference over 1080p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I can't myself getting a 4k TV ever

sticking with 1080p for the rest of your life?

COYVB wrote: »
    sticking with 1080p for the rest of your life?

Well maybe not never. But the difference over 1080p is marginal. I couldn't believe it. Maybe if I had a house at some point I would have somewhere to put it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

How much does the new blu ray on the PS4 hold ? I thought 4k would be via blu ray only.

I can't myself getting a 4k TV ever and recently saw a scientific test showing the marginal difference over 1080p.

the max on a BR-dl disc is 50gb you need a triple/quad layer disc to fit 100gb+. They're well off mass production atm as the bluray partnership is only looking into extending BR into 4k

the ps4 br drive wont accept these discs because hitachi have been trying to get triple layer discs to work with normal drives for 6 years and little to no success

what size 4k was it though there is a considerable difference between 1080p and 4K above 30" imo

I play 90% of my games now at 2560x1440 and i could never go back to 1080p and i know quiet a few who would agree

NTMK wrote: »
    the max on a BR-dl disc is 50gb you need a triple/quad layer disc to fit 100gb+. They're well off mass production atm as the bluray partnership is only looking into extending BR into 4k

the ps4 br drive wont accept these discs because hitachi have been trying to get triple layer discs to work with normal drives for 6 years and little to no success

what size 4k was it though there is a considerable difference between 1080p and 4K above 30" imo

I play 90% of my games now at 2560x1440 and i could never go back to 1080p and i know quiet a few who would agree

I know the new blu ray drives on the PS4 are better than the PS3 but it must be speed only and not volume.

I have never seen anything above 1080p as I use my PS3 for gaming and my laptop for non gaming. I did check out a few articles though and I wasn't sold on the whole 4k idea. I guess it might be different for PC gaming though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

mdwexford wrote: »
    All the video uploading and sharing and streaming and friend tripe looks so stupid.

Might as well call it Playstation Facebook, and thats not a good thing.

I completly agree with this... it all smacks of "Hey everyone come play playstation with your friends, upload videos of you scoring a header in Fifa"

Its just like that Playstation HOME boll1x!

It's another way of Sony trying to get money out of people, through the selling of avatars and other imaginarey possessions such as that shiny couch that your virtual player sits on...

I'd rather they spend the time fixing the various issues with the system itself, there were so many flaws with the PS3, using websites is a pain, inability to stream stuff and access web pages, even though when the PS3 was first released, they tried to flog it off as a PC, to avoid the higher tax rates around the world.

Naturally its differnet from gamer to gamer, I used to play the Fifa tournaments with people on Boards, and that was 90% of my friends list.

I stopped playing that tournament, and deleted all those boardies (sorry) and now I have 3 friends, 2 of which havnt logged in since 2011.

I'm all up for social gaming, however the majority done is a few online games against mates in COD or Fifa, but we dont talk, or radio chat or whatever...

99% of my social gaming is sitting beside my mate, playing split screen or playing Fifa together against an online opponent, or versus each other.

I've played games all my life Commador 64 > Sega Mega Drive > PS1/2/3 And no doubt PS4.

I understand there are plenty of gamers out there who play against each other and together, mainly Xbox gamers if im honest, and they only play COD/Fifa, and don't buy into any other "social aspects" of playing online.

For example Hideo Kojima is more excited about the social aspect of the PS4 rather than the increased hardware/GFX etc.
    But what I'm really more interested in is other ways of expanding into the next generation - a more horizontal expansion, where you're going to be doing things online, more of a social aspect. People will be able to interact with the game through various devices, through various media - such as tablets, smart phones, etc.

Games on media devices such as above have very short life spans, and even then they are played on the bus or the airplane or on the toilet, and none of them are social places to play.

How popular are these social hotspots that Sony said would take over the world with the handheld playstations... I don't know anyone that uses a handheld device anymore, maybe the odd NDS user.

How many people that you are friends with use the Throphy option for Facebook? Its pointless... just like this social PS4...

They should pump the millions they will spend on Advertising and Development of the social aspect, and spend it on more reliable consoles, better hardware/memory etc.

I'm really looking forward to the PS4, but I'm looking forward to the PS4 for Games/Home entertainment system.

/rant

Ps: I understand there is a great market there for uploading videos(i watch alot of COD vidoes online but all of them are probably top 1000 players in the world who can teach me something new), but honestly do you see yourself sitting down to watch your mate complete a level of Uncharted, something that you can do yourself, or the ability to see the goal your mate scored (which can be done already, although poorly, through EA) I just think this aspect of the PS4 is aimed at small target audience. I have no problem with other users loving this aspect of the game, however I don't believe a console as powerful as this should be designed with a small minority in mind.

I know the new blu ray drives on the PS4 are better than the PS3 but it must be speed only and not volume.
    its speed and reliability (I hope) they've improved volume they're at the limit with dual layer. triple layer drives cost ~$200 dollars last time i checked. theres also problems with the discs stability atm and the get wrecked easily
    I have never seen anything above 1080p as I use my PS3 for gaming and my laptop for non gaming. I did check out a few articles though and I wasn't sold on the whole 4k idea. I guess it might be different for PC gaming though.

4K atm and probably for the next 3 years is stupid as we have little to no sources of 4k footage and the tvs cost more than a car but when the price gets sub €1000 it will make sense

image clarity is so much better far more detail but the size of the screen is important most wont see the difference below 50" i noticed it on a 42" but im a resolution snob. also 3D is very nice on it but 3d is effectively dead for another 30 years

as for streaming 100gb movies HA unless you live in Kansas City or sweden you probably wont have the bandwidth cap. Heres and example UPC's best consumer package is 150Mb/s down with a 500gb soft cap watching all 3 LotR films would burn most if not all that cap and that cap is probably one of the most generous caps in the world

they would need to compress that down to about 10gb to be usable and thats some intense compression

The statement from sony is merely saying it can handle 4k as its the in thing atm i dont see this service working until PS5 unless they discover a good compression method

Well maybe not never. But the difference over 1080p is marginal. I couldn't believe it. Maybe if I had a house at some point I would have somewhere to put it.
    The difference us higher than marginal... and that's for up scaled stuff, never mind native

its speed and reliability (I hope) they've improved volume they're at the limit with dual layer. triple layer drives cost ~$200 dollars last time i checked. theres also problems with the discs stability atm and the get wrecked easily

The statement from sony is merely saying it can handle 4k as its the in thing atm i dont see this service working until PS5 unless they discover a good compression method

I think thats where things are at the moment and for the foreseeable future. Its nice to include 4k but not really a cornerstone.
    COYVB wrote: »
    The difference us higher than marginal... and that's for up scaled stuff, never mind native

there is one picture on the web for a close up picture about 1/2 an inch away on a 1080p and 4k. It was fuzzy on the 1080p but readable on a 4k. But because of the scale involved it means neither one thing or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

• Advertisement

I think thats where things are at the moment and for the foreseeable future. Its nice to include 4k but not really a cornerstone.

there is one picture on the web for a close up picture about 1/2 an inch away on a 1080p and 4k. It was fuzzy on the 1080p but readable on a 4k. But because of the scale involved it means neither one thing or another.
    Having seen many 4k TVs up close at ces and other events, I can confirm 4k is pretty damn good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Don't know about you but I've never seen a drive capable of reading them that wasn't a burner, and those were around the 200 mark.

Varik wrote: »
    Don't know about you but I've never seen a drive capable of reading them that wasn't a burner, and those were around the 200 mark.

They're all burners atm because they're not used for consumer goods (players etc) they are coming down in price you can get one now for $70-100 in the US (I just looked at current prices) but a disc costs about 80
    :pac:

a read only drive would be that much cheaper anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

its 50GB dual layer and 6x CAV, 8x DVD....slimline drive. A 100/128GB drive would need new lasers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They're all burners atm because they're not used for consumer goods (players etc) they are coming down in price you can get one now for $70-100 in the US (I just looked at current prices) but a disc costs about 80
    :pac:

I was referring to just the internal PC drives, there's been a load of players.

I don't think the disc price matters yet.

its 50GB dual layer and 6x CAV, 8x DVD....slimline drive. A 100/128GB drive would need new lasers.

The PS3 blu-ray is 2X speed. Hopefully the new machine will install etc a lot quicker.

Possible Silver; gold; Platinum membership structures:

http://www.videogamer.com/news/sony_considering_gold_silver_and_platinum_memberships_for_ps4s_online_services.html

Care to speculate on prices?...Gold 49.99; Platinum 69.99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I just drank a pint of coffee. PS4 excitedness has now reached an unsustainable all time high. And yes, I know excitedness is not a proper word. But what do I care. I'm invincible. Invincible I tells you. Long live COFFEE!!

No it wouldn't. BDXL uses the same 405nm laser as Bluray.

A BDXL shares most components with regular Bluray drive, its really just a 4 layer variant with slightly closer pits. So you need a new pickup unit, but technically they share most components. Its not like the leap from DVD to Bluray.

That's reflected in the price, BDXL drives are not much more expensive.
    The PS3 blu-ray is 2X speed. Hopefully the new machine will install etc a lot quicker.

The drive gets faster but naturally the assets you need to load (textures, models etc) get bigger. Its been normal from one gen to the next for the drive to get faster but that rarely correlates to noticeably faster loading.

The drive gets faster but naturally the assets you need to load (textures, models etc) get bigger. Its been normal from one gen to the next for the drive to get faster but that rarely correlates to noticeably faster loading.

They made a big thing in the Sony presentation about getting into the game quickly and taking the redundancy out of gaming. Too much dead time at the moment. Hopefully they can cut it all back. You are paying after all !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Any news on whether the drive is replaceable or it's possible to have two? With the price of ssds these days I'm definitely going to put a 256 GB one into the ps4.

Any news on whether the drive is replaceable or it's possible to have two? With the price of ssds these days I'm definitely going to put a 256 GB one into the ps4.
    It'll 100% be replaceable

Wouldn't be surprised if 2 is am options, but you'll be looking at an external usb 3 drive for that

earlier in the thread I noted that they could not tell the difference between 4k and 1080p but I couldn't remember where I got it... well it is from CNET
    How much does 4K improve picture quality?
    From what we saw, not much. We can't yet fully answer that question, of course, but in limited experience with the Sony, Ty and I can come closer than we have before. In the demos we were shown and the material we chose to watch ourselves, the benefits of 4K on the XBR-84X900 ranged from extremely subtle to nonexistent to our eyes.

I'm checking out SSD at the moment too, hopefully the PS4 will support removable HD if not SSD

Apparently the Xbox720 has a non replacable HDD......lol!, I can hear the M$ fanboys squealing already :-)

earlier in the thread I noted that they could not tell the difference between 4k and 1080p but I couldn't remember where I got it... well it is from CNET

I'm checking out SSD at the moment too, hopefully the PS4 will support removable HD if not SSD

I'm adopting a wait and see stance, I wanna see benchmarks first....if an SSD is much faster and the PC tech benefits SSD over a mechanical drive it might be worth the upgrade.

But realistically, SSD is still too small....you need a 500GB or more...big money!

Maybe the WD hybrid solution could be a winner!, it has a 24GB SSD [they plan a 32GB version] and a 1TB HDD in 7,200 RPM with a 7mm form factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭trev179

I'd like to know a month or so in advance which drive the ps4 will be using , fingers crossed for ssd but hybrid hdd seems a more practical choice at the moment price wise. Though I will more than likely replace it with a bigger one anyway.

Have a look at the sony kdl55-hx853 tv because sony always design the playstation to compliment there current flagship tv :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

what performance increase will happen with an SSD over HDD? all i know is that SSD is faster. will loading screens load faster? all that type of stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭trev179

MarkY91 wrote: »
    what performance increase will happen with an SSD over HDD? all i know is that SSD is faster. will loading screens load faster? all that type of stuff?

I'm not quite sure to tell the truth as I don't have an ssd in my computer but I would say boot times and everything will be sped up a good bit , though I'm not quite sure will it speed up games too much as there mostly run off the disc but I'm open to correction on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

My ssd in my htpc boots it up in 25 seconds from cold.

Not sure how that would relate in a playstation though which is pretty fast to boot up already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Nige93

what will be the main differences betweeen the playstation 3 and the playstation 4. Also will it be worth getting the Playstation 4?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement