Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Nige93 wrote: »
    what will be the main differences betweeen the playstation 3 and the playstation 4. Also will it be worth getting the Playstation 4?

1) A lot

2) Yes

3) Read the rest of the thread loads of info

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭trev179

what will be the main differences betweeen the playstation 3 and the playstation 4. Also will it be worth getting the Playstation 4?

I've heard from a reliable source that the ps4 will be able to boil an egg just by looking at it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

trev179 wrote: »
    I've heard from a reliable source that the ps4 will be able to boil an egg just by looking at it ;)

I've heard this too but don't tell the chickens or the saucepans. They'll be furious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah, in fairness at first I didn't think there was enough of a leap, but since the official announcement I've been impressed with the hardware specs. Here's a basic comparison.
    Part | Playstation 3 | Playstion 4
    CPU | 3.2GHz Micro PPE - 6 active core | x84-64 AMD Jaguar - 8 active cores
    GPU | NV47 550mhz - 256mb GDDR RAM | AMD next gen single core 1.84 TFLOP
    RAM | N/A, GPU RAM used | 8GB GDDR5
    HDD | Yes | Yes

There's also talk on the PS4 having a dedicated cell for movie, this will make pre-loading video possible, which will come into play on the new network or if you wish to see 'live' footage from a mate playing on another server etc., etc.

All in all, it'll demolish the PS3. But for that money, you could probably put together a better PC.

Still, there's always something great about buying a new playstation, hooking it up to your big screen/projector/whatever, and instantly being entertained. It's a different world to building your own rigs, where things often go wrong and never work out the way you want them to.

So yeah, defo buy one.

All in all I expect the ps4 to be what we have wanted and all that the ps3 has been lacking in its age , sony have turned there fortunes around somewhat and are cannot afford to make the same mistakes that they made with the ps3 its kind of make or break for them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm not quite sure to tell the truth as I don't have an ssd in my computer but I would say boot times and everything will be sped up a good bit , though I'm not quite sure will it speed up games too much as there mostly run off the disc but I'm open to correction on that.

apparently digital downloads will be more common on PS4 so im guessing we will have a fair amount of digital downloads on our PS4s so maybe it will improve some stuff. theyre pretty pricey so i doubt id be getting one :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

MarkY91 wrote: »
    apparently digital downloads will be more common on PS4 so im guessing we will have a fair amount of digital downloads on our PS4s so maybe it will improve some stuff. theyre pretty pricey so i doubt id be getting one :P

Sony have said that every game released for the PS4 will be digital download as well as Bluray unless they are PSN only games.

But if the downloads are priced at €60-€70 the way current PS3 games are, I will still get them from amazon for €35 a week after release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

All in all I expect the ps4 to be what we have wanted and all that the ps3 has been lacking in its age , sony have turned there fortunes around somewhat and are cannot afford to make the same mistakes that they made with the ps3 its kind of make or break for them :)

The only mistakes with the PS3 was the high price and that was because of Bluray and Cell. They have fought back and took the fight to Microsoft. They had a very slow start and were late to the party but they made up for it.

With the range of exclusives it has now and the value of PSN plus service, Microsoft have alot to be concerned about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Sony have said that every game released for the PS4 will be digital download as well as Bluray unless they are PSN only games.

But if the downloads are priced at €60-€70 the way current PS3 games are, I will still get them from amazon for €35 a week after release.

me too. ive wanted to buy fifa12 one year on the store.. was around 60-70. xtravision 5 minutes down the road were selling it for like 50 :S how can they expect to outdoo hard copies with them prices :S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

put 20 notes down as a deposit earlier today..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

ziggyman17 wrote: »

where

Tempted to do that as well, but I've no idea where I'll be later in the year and I'm too old to be lining up for crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Varik wrote: »
    where

Tempted to do that as well, but I've no idea where I'll be later in the year and I'm too old to be lining up for crap.

Would Amazon not be your best bet when they start taking pre-orders?

I'm gonna hold off until its up on amazon they are usually competitively priced and I can cancel at anytime before delivery , the delivery time is the only drawback though if amazon are within €20 of gamestop ill go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

MarkY91 wrote: »

me too. ive wanted to buy fifa12 one year on the store.. was around 60-70. xtravision 5 minutes down the road were selling it for like 50 :S how can they expect to outdoo hard copies with them prices :S
    They sell at RRP online

In Canada it's cheaper to buy online as, for some reason, the prices are all ex tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Would Amazon not be your best bet when they start taking pre-orders?

I probably will but I was talking about pre-ordering in a brick and mortar, would like to get it straight away and the midnight openings are a laugh but not sure if it's worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I might go amazon but as noted the postal delivery is the only draw back. If some people were queuing overnight for it and I had to wait for a few days with an post I might be a bit frustrated but if the price is cheaper then it might just be worth it to hold out for the few extra days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Varik wrote: »
    where

gamestop.. I know they are a bit dearer, but Ill want a ps4 on launch day and with hmv and game gone there does'nt leave much choice.. If it is launched in time for christmas then I'd say they will be in short supply..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Xbox720 won't have a Blu-Ray drive.........:eek:

http://www.gamingcapacity.com/xbox-720-info-revealed-by-inside-source/

madness!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Xbox720 won't have a Blu-Ray drive.........:eek:

http://www.gamingcapacity.com/xbox-720-info-revealed-by-inside-source/

madness!

I'd say it will have blu-ray for games.
    Probably a separate license to play blu-ray movies - cuts down costs.

Just guessing about licenses, but it would be madness not to have blu-ray for games.

It'll have blu-ray, it'll be the same as the Wii U in that it's a "high capacity proprietary drive" which is blu-ray with a couple of tweaks, unable to play movies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

its bound to have blu ray !!

aindriu80 wrote: »
    its bound to have blu ray !!

It won't play blu-ray movies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

COYVB wrote: »
    It won't play blu-ray movies

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Source?

It's just speculation at this point but I believe people are suggesting that the next Xbox will indeed have a Blu-Ray drive, however to avoid additional licencing costs, it will use a proprietary disk similar to the Wii U. This will mean it will not be able to play Blu-Ray movies without an update [or possibly at all, I'm not sure].

Anyway, PlayStation 4... :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Otacon wrote: »

It's just speculation at this point but I believe people are suggesting that the next Xbox will indeed have a Blu-Ray drive, however to avoid additional licencing costs, it will use a proprietary disk similar to the Wii U. This will mean it will not be able to play Blu-Ray movies without an update [or possibly at all, I'm not sure].

Anyway, PlayStation 4... :pac:

They can avoid the licencing costs required to play a bluray while still using a standard bluray disc. They just won't include the software necessary to decode bluray movies. This won't affect its use for data storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

They can avoid the licencing costs required to play a bluray while still using a standard bluray disc. They just won't include the software necessary to decode bluray movies. This won't affect its use for data storage.

I don't know the ins and outs of it so I will take your word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

No way will Sony NOT include Blu Ray. No way. Video playback has been a huge factor for 2 and 3, no way are they going to confuse the long term market place.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

For what?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

FreezeUp wrote: »
    No way will Sony NOT include Blu Ray. No way. Video playback has been a huge factor for 2 and 3, no way are they going to confuse the long term market place.

I know this is a PS4 thread, however the last few posts were in relation to the next xbox console allegedly not having a blu-ray drive.
    FreezeUp wrote: »
    For what?

A PS4.

• Advertisement

All in all it seems the ps4 will be a gaming console first and foremost and a media/sharing device second where as the xbox 720 will be the opposite , but we will have to wait for e3 to find out more but that's what it looks like to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement