Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Otacon wrote: »
    What about the ability to say 'Na na na-na na!' to your friends?

I think paying €400/€500 for that privilege, they'd be the ones laughing :D
    Varik wrote: »
    That's not a guarantee, a console could have a good launch lineup.

If past trends continue as they have done since the PS2 era, the launch lineup will not justify buying early. The N64, PS2, Xbox, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, 3DS, & Vita all had launches that show its worth waiting about a year to adopt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

I managed to get a PS2 on launch day from my uncle, was working with Sony at the time and the only game I remember was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bouncer#Reception

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

EnterNow wrote: »
    I think paying €400/€500 for that privilege, they'd be the ones laughing :D

If past trends continue as they have done since the PS2 era, the launch lineup will not justify buying early. The N64, PS2, Xbox, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, 3DS, & Vita all had launches that show its worth waiting about a year to adopt.

In fairness the 360 had a good launch line up. PGR3, CoD2, Kameo, Condemned. All strong titles there at the time. (PDZ was muck) But there was a little lull after but for me it was far stronger then the PS3 line up at launch. It took a while before the PS3 grew it's legs.

Looking back, I'd still get the 360 at launch and hold off 12 months on the PS3. This gen of consoles coming, I can see myself being day one for both of them. Really excited for what Sony have to offer this time more so than MS.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Was very late to the PS1, maybe a year late to the PS2, and PS3 was a Day 1 purchase. PS4 will be a day one purchase too.

I probably will get the 360-2 at some point, but wouldn't be Day 1.

In fairness the 360 had a good launch line up. PGR3, CoD2, Kameo, Condemned. All strong titles there at the time

A fair point. Though 360 aside, there hasn't been a console or handheld with a lineup that screams 'must-have' for a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

A fair point. Though 360 aside, there hasn't been a console or handheld with a lineup that screams 'must-have' for a long time

Agree about the PS3 and the 360 launch(PS3 bad, 360 good) but the Vita for me was great, it's not had a great first year on releases but the initial window was great; Uncharted, Unit 13, and Wipout to name a few were must-haves for me.

With the fact that most of Sony's big studioes have not released a game in a long while and with some of the others being well over staffed for them to only be working on 1 project I think the PS4 will have a huge luanch line-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Otacon wrote: »
    Tretton has improved greatly over the last few years. At least it's better than the number-regurgitating Powerpoint presentations we got before. As Kaz is now head of Sony, I doubt it will be him.

Reason I think it could be Kaz is because playstation is a big deal at Sony, he was former head of Playstation and it's not just America that's getting it. Though I guess they could do like Nintendo when they have Reggie and Iwata.
    I guess Shuhei is a more likely appearance.

As for early adoption, launch line ups can look appealing but things tend to dry up quickly for a time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

With the fact that most of Sony's big studioes have not released a game in a long while and with some of the others being well over staffed for them to only be working on 1 project I think the PS4 will have a huge luanch line-up.

Guerrilla
    Polyphony
    Ready At Dawn
    Naughty Dog [a lot of that team isn't working on TLOU]
    Media Molecule [again, a small team working on Tearaway]
    Sucker Punch

...this could be the makings of a fantastic launch-day/launch-window line-up.

Well here's hoping anyway, it'd be a nice surprise thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

& Vita all had launches that show its worth waiting about a year to adopt.

Personally I loved the Vita launch lineup. Uncharted was absolutely epic. Think I've played through the entire game over 5 times now. It was my first platinum. Doesn't get old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Wonder what the warranty will be on the ps4, for the next gen ylod.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Wonder what the warranty will be on the ps4, for the next gen ylod.

Standard is 2 years for all electronic goods sold in the EU or you can take them to the small claims court. That's why MS had to make good and offer a 3 year one for the RRoD.

My launch day 60Gb console is still going strong, if a little on the loud side lately. Hope I get lucky again with the PS4.

On my third 360. My launch console RROD just before it's 3 years was gone thankfully, second lasted 9 months, got that replaced and stored it while a bought a 360S.

Standard is 2 years for all electronic goods sold in the EU or you can take them to the small claims court. That's why MS had to make good and offer a 3 year one for the RRoD.

It's 1 year in Ireland still, the Directive was never implemented here as it was not necessary with the current consumer law here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

In fairness the 360 had a good launch line up. PGR3, CoD2, Kameo, Condemned. All strong titles there at the time. (PDZ was muck) But there was a little lull after but for me it was far stronger then the PS3 line up at launch. It took a while before the PS3 grew it's legs.

Looking back, I'd still get the 360 at launch and hold off 12 months on the PS3. This gen of consoles coming, I can see myself being day one for both of them. Really excited for what Sony have to offer this time more so than MS.

could you please explain to me why youre buying both? i find that to be very very retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

MarkY91 wrote: »
    could you please explain to me why youre buying both? i find that to be very very retarded.

What is so retarded about it?

I have an Xbox 360 & a PS3....

On my Xbox I play Battlefield 3, Halo, Gears Of War 3 etc

On my PS3 I play LBP, Wipeout, Uncharted and hopefully soon TLOU

Exclusives is what will probably keep me buying consoles, even in the next generation - if Uncharted 4 is a PS4 launch title, I will buy one eventually....

Same goes for im sure Halo 5 being a 720 (if you wanna call it that) launch title....

I really do not get the fanboyism that attracts people to argue over which brand is better than the other.....

I will also pick up a Wii U when the right game comes out for it.... :D

I'm still waiting.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Just wondering with the most popular feature of the ps vita being its cross play mechanic and with articles like this from a while a go (http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/20/vita-ps3-crossover/?
    http://www.destructoid.com/sony-touts-vita-ps3-cross-play-but-is-it-a-wet-dream--240745.phtml) not to mention the vita's less then steller sale records alone.

Could you imagine if the ps4 ships with a streamlined vita instead of a controller as standard? and the ps4 itself is mostly just an internal update on hardware then anything else in design. there has already been that touchpad ps4 dualshock set up going around with the dev kits, perhaps its just playing surrogate for the role the vita would fill instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I hope the old PS3 remote works with the PS4...but knowing Sony it wont, different IR codes and a new design. I expect a full lineup og accessories for the PS4....incl the €30 HDMI cable.....lol

I hope the old PS3 remote works with the PS4...but knowing Sony it wont, different IR codes and a new design. I expect a full lineup og accessories for the PS4....incl the €30 HDMI cable.....lol

The remotes bluetooth isn't it.

Any third party stuff may not work but the the rumour that the PS eye will be updated but still work with the older Move controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I got a move controller and eye and the other controller that goes with them. I hope they do work with the PS4.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I got a move controller and eye and the other controller that goes with them. I hope they do work with the PS4.

Personally I think we'll see Move 2.0.........

• Advertisement

Personally I think we'll see Move 2.0.........

doubt it, the days of motion controllers seems to be coming to an end. Unless sony make the move a cornerstone of their ps4 none of the 3rd party developers will give it a second look.

NOOOOOOOOO!!...if this news holds true for the 720 you can bet it'll be the same for the PS4, sad face: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Xbox-720-Games-Require-Online-Activation-Eliminate-Used-Games-Situation-327337.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

NOOOOOOOOO!!...if this news holds true for the 720 you can bet it'll be the same for the PS4, sad face: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Xbox-720-Games-Require-Online-Activation-Eliminate-Used-Games-Situation-327337.shtml

I can see Microsoft doing it but I can also see Sony not doing it.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I can see Microsoft doing it but I can also see Sony not doing it.

Microsoft wont do it if they are the only ones, if sony wont do it, I'd guarantee neither will Microsoft. More so with the very credible threat Microsoft are facing if the steambox becomes a reality.

Most talks of copy protection in the next generation is unfounded rumours, nothing is confirmed yet.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Microsoft wont do it if they are the only ones, if sony wont do it, I'd guarantee neither will Microsoft.

While they may not need to push as much having it over the competitor is in their best interest.

I like Light gun games and the current PS4 rumour is a new camera and backwards comparability with the Move controllers. While I'm not playing only with the sharpshooter it's fun now and again.
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    More so with the very credible threat Microsoft are facing if the steambox becomes a reality.

People are vastly overestimating the impact it'll have, Apple are a bigger threat to consoles that Valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Fieldog wrote: »
    What is so retarded about it?

I have an Xbox 360 & a PS3....

On my Xbox I play Battlefield 3, Halo, Gears Of War 3 etc

On my PS3 I play LBP, Wipeout, Uncharted and hopefully soon TLOU

Exclusives is what will probably keep me buying consoles, even in the next generation - if Uncharted 4 is a PS4 launch title, I will buy one eventually....

Same goes for im sure Halo 5 being a 720 (if you wanna call it that) launch title....

I really do not get the fanboyism that attracts people to argue over which brand is better than the other.....

I will also pick up a Wii U when the right game comes out for it.... :D

I'm still waiting.... :)

im not a fanboy at all. you have your points for wanting both of them. i guess i personally just have no reason for both consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

MarkY91 wrote: »
    im not a fanboy at all. you have your points for wanting both of them. i guess i personally just have no reason for both consoles.

I have both the 360 and PS3 myself but I actually see your point.

Unless something changes, I am probably just going to get the PS4. If I do get another console, it will probably be the Wii U.

There is just too much cross-over between the Sony and Microsoft consoles and exclusives are becoming more and more sparse on Microsoft's side. Also, most XBOX exclusives end up on PC anyway so there is even less reason to go with the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

http://bit.ly/XpWwC0

This morning, Japan's Asahi News ran a story on the PS4. It included several things we've heard before, such as how the PS4 will allow you to share things with friends while playing (more here in a previous story) and that it will come with a DualShock 3 shaped controller—which Kotaku previously reported.

(Meanwhile, the Nikkei ran its own story on the PS4, saying what we've previously heard: that it's ditching the Cell processor and is using processors from another company. The Nikkei also added that the PS4 will use the Gaikai cloud service, which shouldn't come as a surprise.)

The original Asahi story goes on to say that the PS4 will launch for the end of year sales war in Japan and the US, and that it looks to be priced over ¥40,000. (That's US$427, but assume it would translate to US$400.) There was no specific US pricing in the original article. The original Japanese text in the Asahi piece (価格は4万円を超えるとみられる) is rather vague, as "to mirareru" (とみられる) can mean "is believed", "is expected" or even "is considered to be". In short, this seems like speculation. Yet, this is the bit of news everyone is latching on to.

When major Japanese newspapers like Asahi or Nikkei run rumors, they are usually pretty solid. Thing is, there's not much here that hasn't already been leaked before. And like I previously said, the price point doesn't seem rock solid. Remember how much the original PS3 cost? The 20GB version was US$499, while the 60GB version was $599. Now the Asahi News is saying PS4 will cost over $400. That's not only kind of vague, but rather obvious!

This afternoon, Sony commented to Famitsu on the Asahi story, saying, "SCE has nothing to announce regarding this matter. No comment even on whether this story is true or false."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The online activation thing isn't a good move imho. I know a good few people that don't have their consoles online. Mostly people renting in houses, and people who live in rural areas.
    jaxdasher wrote: »
    As people already said over and over
    There is no benefits to being an early adopter. Though I am excited to see cos I might get it later on. Very later on.

I agree, but the one thing that would swing it for me would be if they had same PS account on the PS4 and I could download any games in my download list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I can't help but feel that the power of the PS Vita will become even more apparent once the Playstation 4 (or whatever they decide to call it) is announced. It was clearly designed with the next generation in mind so I'm really looking forward to seeing what the integration is like. Without a doubt it has to be the best piece of tech I've bought since the PS3 launched. PERIOD!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement