Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

trev179 wrote: »
    All in all it seems the ps4 will be a gaming console first and foremost and a media/sharing device second where as the xbox 720 will be the opposite

That's EXACTLY what Sony told me yesterday, funnily enough

FreezeUp wrote: »
    No way will Sony NOT include Blu Ray. No way. Video playback has been a huge factor for 2 and 3, no way are they going to confuse the long term market place.

Sony IS using Blu-ray, people were talking about Xbox

Source?

A very reliable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Is it plausible to pay bit by bit if you put down a desposit somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Luap wrote: »
    I would say so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'd wait and see what you are actually getting first.

It is almost 100% that there won't be just one PS4 pack when it comes out. There will be 2 versions, if you pre-order now how do you know what you are pre-ordering and that the shop won't mess you around with the lower end pack if they run out or over order the premium version if you are not there to specify?

Just a thought. Besides wait for the details at E3, still gives you a least a 6 months of a pre order for around a €450-€500 console. Very doable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭Damien360

Considering the amount of high street stores shutting down due to high rents, I would not be putting large amounts of cash on as a deposit in any store.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Considering the amount of high street stores shutting down due to high rents, I would not be putting large amounts of cash on as a deposit in any store.

Exactly, with the PS4 not likely due here for another 12 months. A lot can happen in that time and this recession has not hit the bottom yet despite what the politicians say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I honestly never understood preordering ~12 months in advance for a game/console.

What are you going to gain exactly by doing that, versus pre ordering a month or two before release? Just imagine if HMV had closed a month later than they did, a lot of people would have gotten burned on PS4 pre orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,163 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think it's so they're further up the list to secure one on release day. Though like I said before, I don't see the point of getting a new console on launch day. But then, that's just me. Think only way I would get one at launch is if there was a once off low price that wouldn't be repeated for at least 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭trev179

COYVB wrote: »
    That's EXACTLY what Sony told me yesterday, funnily enough

Sony told you personally?? Is that after you got off the phone to ronald mcdonald when ye were chatting about what new toy to put in the happy meal lol

Sony told you personally?? Is that after you got off the phone to ronald mcdonald when ye were chatting about what new toy to put in the happy meal lol

It's my understanding from previous posts that he's a games journalist so he would probably have Sony contacts or receive info from them.

Yes. I work in the gaming industry. A Sony marketing director told me personally at a God of War Ascension event, if that's okay?

It's not uncommon to find people who work in the industry posting about the industry you know

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

As long as I can get Netflix I'll be happy, and a Blu Ray will free up a HDMI slot on my TV too.

COYVB wrote: »
    Yes. I work in the gaming industry. A Sony marketing director told me personally at a God of War Ascension event, if that's okay?

It's not uncommon to find people who work in the industry posting about the industry you know

Okay my bad :(

Wow, that's a strange one considering that the PS4 has a AMD/ATi GPU based on the Raedon family and not an nVidia GPU like the PS3 has.

Great to hear though.

Wow, that's a strange one considering that the PS4 has a AMD/ATi GPU based on the Raedon family and not an nVidia GPU like the PS3 has.

Great to hear though.

Is physx on an ati card even possible? Great if it can mind you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is physx on an ati card even possible? Great if it can mind you.

If Amd choose to implement it, it is. To date they haven't but maybe that has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Gentlemen, they said they were supporting the SDK, they didn't say anything about it being hardware accelerated. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

gizmo wrote: »
    Gentlemen, they said they were supporting the SDK, they didn't say anything about it being hardware accelerated. :)

Physx GPU acceleration is limited to a handful of admittedly pretty, but ultimately fairly useless fluff like fabric movement, debris and smoke effects that don't (and can't) affect gameplay at all. Most games that use the Physx engine don't even support those GPU accelerated features. Its no coincidence that those few games that do were heavily backed by Nvidia, because otherwise it wouldn't be worth the effort for developers.

At least now with Physx 3, Nvidia have finally gotten around to giving the important stuff that actually has an affect on game-play (collisions etc) the ability to use more than one CPU core. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ I was thinking the secondary background CPU might be Tegra based...so would that then allow hardware based physics?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭RedXIV

They really do seem to be hitting all the right buttons with developers these days anyway. The only thing that worries me about the above though is are we going to see less variation if one engine has a distinct advantage over others?

^ I was thinking the secondary background CPU might be Tegra based...so would that then allow hardware based physics?
    It could, but there's not a hope in hell of this being included. PhysX, in this case, is just the SDK, no different than Havok officially supporting the PS4. Well there is a difference actually, Havok can be hardware accelerated via OpenCL which AMD hardware does support.
    Bit of a nonsense article to be honest, the only optimisation will occur on Epic's side as part of the UE4 pipeline.

So, in the words of Denzel Washington "Explain this to me like an 8 year old..." What advantages does the PS4(and I guess the new XBox) have over the PS3 that the average gamer can see, apart from improved graphics(Graphics aren't usually the big selling point to me)?

I mean from what I've seen the graphics aren't that big of a jump. Particle effects aren't exactly cause for me to run out and buy a brand new console. So I guess what I mean is what can they do with games that they can't do this generation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So, in the words of Denzel Washington "Explain this to me like an 8 year old..." What advantages does the PS4(and I guess the new XBox) have over the PS3 that the average gamer can see, apart from improved graphics(Graphics aren't usually the big selling point to me)?

I mean from what I've seen the graphics aren't that big of a jump. Particle effects aren't exactly cause for me to run out and buy a brand new console. So I guess what I mean is what can they do with games that they can't do this generation?

Much larger environments with much larger number of elements in them (think hundreds of NPC's, items, environmental destruction) all of these will add to game play possibilities.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

gizmo wrote: »
    It could, but there's not a hope in hell of this being included. PhysX, in this case, is just the SDK, no different than Havok officially supporting the PS4. Well there is a difference actually, Havok can be hardware accelerated via OpenCL which AMD hardware does support.

Bit of a nonsense article to be honest, the only optimisation will occur on Epic's side as part of the UE4 pipeline.

Might we even see Physx optimized to run on an AMD APU as a result of the PS4, I must admit this would amuse me greatly :pac:

CastorTroy wrote: »

I think the Killzone demo actually demonstrated one of the major benefits of the new console, more memory. My memory of the previous games were far tighter environments with less interactable characters on-screen while the demo showed what can be accomplished when this limit is increased.

One of the Dishonored level designers touched on this today actually.
    marco_polo wrote: »
    Might we even see Physx optimized to run on an AMD APU as a result of the PS4, I must admit this would amuse me greatly :pac:
    The only movement on this could come from nVidia themselves and I highly doubt they'd be willing to allow non-Geforce powered cards to accelerate PhysX via OpenCL.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not much new info, but Jonathan Blow on the move to PS4: http://www.edge-online.com/news/why-the-witness-is-coming-to-ps4-first/

It's funny: when the current generation consoles started XBLA was way, way ahead in terms of quality and selection. They really did pave the way for independent games on consoles - and Braid would have been a big, big part of that. Suddenly these small, strange titles were almost killer apps for consoles. But man Microsoft has ****ed it up something fierce (baffling that the indie game channel still isn't even available in Ireland, although we probably can do without the hundreds of bland clones), and Sony to their credit seem to have taken up the slack with plenty of offbeat and innovative titles in the making. Curious if MS will launch a counter-offensive. As I'm growing more and more bored of AAA releases, the catalogue of more niche & smaller will be a big selling point for me anyway come time to buy into the next-gen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement