Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Every day there's another few articles posted that make me think I'm going to go PS4 over 720 next gen, and I say that as someone who massively prefers 360 to PS3.

Pressure is on MS, roll on E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/139706-microsofts-new-kinect-patent-goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa

If this is implemented on the next Xbox its pretty much game over for Microsoft.
    The abstract describes a camera-based system that would monitor the number of viewers in a room and check to see if the number of occupants exceeded a certain threshold set by the content provider. If there are too many warm bodies present, the device owner would be prompted to purchase a license for a greater number of viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭RedXIV

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/139706-microsofts-new-kinect-patent-goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa

If this is implemented on the next Xbox its pretty much game over for Microsoft.

This would surely be suicide?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Sounds made up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

gizmo wrote: »

The only movement on this could come from nVidia themselves and I highly doubt they'd be willing to allow non-Geforce powered cards to accelerate PhysX via OpenCL.

I know that is mainly why it would amuse me if it were to ever happen :).

But is is likely that at some point competing physics engines will go down the DirectCompute/OpenCl route as openCl solutions can run on both hardware. So at some point they may well have to decide if the want Physx to become a genuine top class physics engine, or if are content for it to remain primary a marketing tool for their desktop GPUs.

Anyway I'm probably dragging this thing a bit off topic so I'd better leave it there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

That can not be real. Unless MS are out to kill themselves?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's just a patent. Big companies like Microsoft patent all sorts of stuff that never get implemented. Even if they did bring it in you could just cover yourself in cold mud like Arnie did in Predator so it's not really a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

sonyeyepad.png

Sony's patented and internally named EyePad.

Companies patent everything they can and try to make them as broad as they can without risking having them invalidated later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    That can not be real. Unless MS are out to kill themselves?

Ouch. If this was being released, I would never buy another MS product again. Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

People are forgetting the possibility that MS has patented this technology to ensure it's never used by the MPAA. They know how damaging it would be, so if they figured out how to do it and patented it, they could stop the MPAA from implementing it down the line - unless the MPAA can find another way to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

COYVB wrote: »
    People are forgetting the possibility that MS has patented this technology to ensure it's never used by the MPAA. They know how damaging it would be, so if they figured out how to do it and patented it, they could stop the MPAA from implementing it down the line - unless the MPAA can find another way to do it
    It would still look very bad on their part though, it basically gives consumers a right to question their motives on it. I'd be surprised if that's even the case though, could be bull.

As said before, companies patent loads of stuff. In a lot of cases it's to stop other people getting there before them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Don't forget that Sony patented a mechanism for blocking 2nd hand games, but have now said that they won't implement it (for the PS4 at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

stevenmu wrote: »
    Don't forget that Sony patented a mechanism for blocking 2nd hand games, but have now said that they won't implement it (for the PS4 at least).

The gaming industry would be ****ed if that ever happens anyway

FreezeUp wrote: »
    The gaming industry would be ****ed if that ever happens anyway

The sensible midway point for the second hand games market is to allow private selling/license transfer ok, but ban commercial retailers from doing it. Not only would it stop them making a fortune through legitimised piracy, but it'd ensure punters don't get continually ripped off by being offered a pittance for a game that'll be marked up 500% when it goes back on the shelf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The sensible midway point for the second hand games market is to allow private selling/license transfer ok, but ban commercial retailers from doing it. Not only would it stop them making a fortune through legitimised piracy, but it'd ensure punters don't get continually ripped off by being offered a pittance for a game that'll be marked up 500% when it goes back on the shelf

There's nothing sensible about that nor is it even possible, there's nothing Sony or MS could do to ban anyone doing it. The only way used game could be stopped is by extending the current online pass systems to restrict full access to the game like most PC games already do or moving to fully digital distribution.

There's nothing sensible about letting punters sell their games privately but preventing gamestop from making billions a year from it? Are you for real?

And there's no reason it's not possible, doesn't need technology to work at all. It can be done through retail licenses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

There's nothing sensible about letting punters sell their games privately but preventing gamestop from making billions a year from it? Are you for real?

And there's no reason it's not possible, doesn't need technology to work at all. It can be done through retail licenses

I'm sure they've considered it but they still need bricks and mortar shops to move the consoles in the first place.

If they said no second hand games on PS4 through Gamestop but private users can then there is less incentive for Gamestop to stock the consoles when they could just keep flog PS3 games second hand.

thebman wrote: »
    I'm sure they've considered it but they still need bricks and mortar shops to move the consoles in the first place.

If they said no second hand games on PS4 through Gamestop but private users can then there is less incentive for Gamestop to stock the consoles when they could just keep flog PS3 games second hand.

I don't think the industry would shed a tear if that happened to be honest. There'll always be places more than happy to stock consoles that aren't GameStop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,163 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But wasn't there an interview with a Sony exec after the conference where he implied there could be something happening regarding used games? Or he made some statement which wasn't too clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

anyone know the name of the song ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

anyone know the name of the song ?

And for future reference: http://www.shazam.com/ ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

thanks a million :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

did anyone see the claim that future PS4 and next Xbox games would be $70 USD ? That is after Sony reckoned they would cost around $60.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

aindriu80 wrote: »
    did anyone see the claim that future PS4 and next Xbox games would be $70 USD ? That is after Sony reckoned they would cost around $60.

There is bound to be an increase in the price of games. The thing is, the current RRP over in America is $60 anyway so a ten dollar difference isn't much. In actual terms you will probably see games being about a fiver more expensive at launch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Games are always more expensive at the launch of a console. You would have been paying 59.99 or higher at the start of this gen, no question, bar maybe some online price cutting. They've just decreased over the course of the last seven years or so (HMV had a big part in that, and you've probably have noticed games have crept up by another fiver or tenner in shops since they departed).

We pay no more for games than we used to, actually, indeed we might even be paying considerably less when inflation is taken into account. Games that cost £40-50 plus were very common back in the SNES and PS1 days (Street Fighter II is one infamously expensive example). WiiU games are retailing for 54.99-60.00 in a lot of places. It will happen with the PS4 and 720 too, although the RRP will grow more competitive as the generation wears on and the 'prestige' associated with the ownership of a new console decreases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,539 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Games cost 70 euros at the start of this gen. Prices will fall as the market increases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I hope ps4,pushes microsoft to bring out console,at least 6gig ddr5,
    with 500gig hd,
    with at least 2 av, hdmi out ports,
    And a button for ustream, youtube video upload/sharing.
    I Know the ps4 has 8gig ddr5,but 720 console will have kinect built in.
    They may opt for a more powerful graphics card with more video ram, than the ps4.
    IT would be nice if it had a user upgradeable hd drive, like the ps3 has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

riclad wrote: »
    I hope ps4,pushes microsoft to bring out console,at least 6gig ddr5,
    with 500gig hd,
    with at least 2 av, hdmi out ports,
    And a button for ustream, youtube video upload/sharing.
    I Know the ps4 has 8gig ddr5,but 720 console will have kinect built in.
    They may opt for a more powerful graphics card with more video ram, than the ps4.
    IT would be nice if it had a user upgradeable hd drive, like the ps3 has.

The Next Box specs are more or less nailed down now. Changing from GDDR3 ram to GDDR5 is pretty much impossible unless they want all devs who have been working on games for the last year to recode their games for the holiday launch. The same goes for GPU and CPU.

What was reported in the last few months will basically be what the final specs will be with a few minor touches.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement