Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Just switching to faster RAM wouldn't effect the developers that much. They wouldn't have to recode their games at all, as long as nothing was removed (even if it was they could possibly handle that through the SDK).

Really all that would happen for existing code is that it would run a little quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

stevenmu wrote: »
    Just switching to faster RAM wouldn't effect the developers that much. They wouldn't have to recode their games at all, as long as nothing was removed (even if it was they could possibly handle that through the SDK).

Really all that would happen for existing code is that it would run a little quicker.

Everything I've been reading on NeoGaf has been suggesting the opposite :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Everything I've been reading on NeoGaf has been suggesting the opposite :confused:

gddr5 is high bandwidth ddr3 its not that different and wont affect launch games

upping the ram now would make sfa difference to development as they're not at optimizing stage and MS did a complete overhaul the 360 spec in May 2005 which had little effect on launch games

as long as the cpu/gpu stay amd the spec of those components changing wont affect development

NTMK wrote: »
    gddr5 is high bandwidth ddr3 its not that different and wont affect launch games

upping the ram now would make sfa difference to development as they're not at optimizing stage and MS did a complete overhaul the 360 spec in May 2005 which had little effect on launch games

as long as the cpu/gpu stay amd the spec of those components changing wont affect development

My understanding of it was that it was a different sort of RAM all together, your not just upping the bandwidth. So either people in here are wrong or the guys on GAF are wrong :/

My understanding of it was that it was a different sort of RAM all together, your not just upping the bandwidth. So either people in here are wrong or the guys on GAF are wrong :/

their based of the same design essential except ddr3 is slower with super low latency designed for CPUs

gddr is required for high memory use where latency isnt a issue

Its all to do with memory controllers (ddr3 uses one memory controller per channel gddr5 uses 2)

so they're different but not different enough to cause problems and i think MS' ddr3 design had a memory controller that would negate the difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I thought it was faster,
    eg say playing cod5
    ,images,3d assets,will load faster on a ddr5 pc, than on a pc with ddr3.
    eg less chance of Image pop up, ddr5 = faster loading .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

riclad wrote: »
    I thought it was faster,
    eg say playing cod5
    ,images,3d assets,will load faster on a ddr5 pc, than on a pc with ddr3.
    eg less chance of Image pop up, ddr5 = faster loading .

It is faster but it has a higher latency, the extra speed nullifies the increased latency so the overall effect is faster ram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

CastorTroy wrote: »
    But wasn't there an interview with a Sony exec after the conference where he implied there could be something happening regarding used games? Or he made some statement which wasn't too clear

He said "used games will work on PS4", but apparently it's been intentionally left open to the fact that there may be caveats there. For example, it might turn out to be "used games will work on PS4 when the new owner buys a license from PSN"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

COYVB wrote: »
    He said "used games will work on PS4", but apparently it's been intentionally left open to the fact that there may be caveats there. For example, it might turn out to be "used games will work on PS4 when the new owner buys a license from PSN"

It'll be the same as with online passes, Sony won't enforce any standard and just leave it up to the publishers; while they do it themselves they don't currently force online passes on 3rd parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

EA Sports makes you pay additional money to play second hand games online. This is why I will not buy ANY EA product, brand new / second hand whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

FreezeUp wrote: »
    EA Sports makes you pay additional money to play second hand games online. This is why I will not buy ANY EA product, brand new / second hand whatever.

The online pass system is not exclusive to EA.

Also, expect to see a lot more of this occur next gen, as Varik mentions above, and not just to unlock the multiplayer sections of games either.

FreezeUp wrote: »

Yeah, imagine the cheek of them, wanting to get some form of remuneration from second hand sales that allow people to play using their servers. What a pack of complete bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭trev179

Yeah, imagine the cheek of them, wanting to get some form of remuneration from second hand sales that allow people to play using their servers. What a pack of complete bastards

While I agree totally I think sony , microsoft and nintendos remuneration should come from the likes of gamestop since they are the ones making all the profit off used games , though it would probably take a big court case that would include those 3 and some developers and a whole lot of laws I wouldn't begin to be able to follow.

trev179 wrote: »
    While I agree totally I think sony , microsoft and nintendos remuneration should come from the likes of gamestop since they are the ones making all the profit off used games , though it would probably take a big court case that would include those 3 and some developers and a whole lot of laws I wouldn't begin to be able to follow.

It should, and they've tried to do it before, but GameStop point blank refused, so they were left with no other option really

It should, and they've tried to do it before, but GameStop point blank refused, so they were left with no other option really

So is there some sort of legal case ongoing? This might be why sony took out the patent for stopping second hand games to show gamestop that they can be cut out of the picture?? Or is that just speculation on my part?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

When you put it like that it is difficult to argue against online passes. EA are providing their servers, they're a business and they deserve to be paid.

trev179 wrote: »
    So is there some sort of legal case ongoing? This might be why sony took out the patent for stopping second hand games to show gamestop that they can be cut out of the picture?? Or is that just speculation on my part?

No legal case that I'm aware of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

“I’m glad Sony decided to go with 8GB RAM because it means that the PS4 will out-power most PCs for years to come.”

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/03/ps4_will_out_power_most_pcs_for_years_to_come_says_just_cause_developer

Very interesting. We had Crytek say: " it will be very low spec device" and here we have other developer say that ps4 will outperform most power PCs out there now and in the future.
    Now i am PC gamer and this statement is interesting. I really want to know how they will pull this off.
    Do you think developer full of shiet, or we really looking at very interesting new architecture console. I am honestly getting more interested in next gen now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

“I’m glad Sony decided to go with 8GB RAM because it means that the PS4 will out-power most PCs for years to come.”

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/03/ps4_will_out_power_most_pcs_for_years_to_come_says_just_cause_developer

Very interesting. We had Crytek say: " it will be very low spec device" and here we have other developer say that ps4 will outperform most power PCs out there now and in the future.
    Now i am PC gamer and this statement is interesting. I really want to know how they will pull this off.
    Do you think developer full of shiet, or we really looking at very interesting new architecture console. I am honestly getting more interested in next gen now.
    Well it depends on what he means by "most PCs". If you take it to mean reasonably priced machines which are currently more powerful than the current generation of consoles for roughly the same price, then he's probably correct. He's obviously not referring to higher end, ~$1000 and upwards machines.

Really though, one needs to only look at the current generation to see how much juice you can squeeze out of a closed-platform even when dealing with hardware that is considerably dated by current standards. Now combine that with an architecture that is easier to get to grips with given it's more PC-lke architecture and you can see where he's coming from. I imagine that's what he's referring to anyway and he's the CTO of the company, I'm quite sure he knows what he's talking about. :)

he is accurate atm according to steams hardware survey most pcs are running 4gb (51%)

on the graphics and processor side it still is more powerful its got a decent processor and its graphics are fairly decent so they will beat most pcs

• Advertisement

Very interesting. We had Crytek say: " it will be very low spec device"

Have you a link to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

There is always a dev that comes out with stuff like this and it is always nonsense.

What will stop PC massively surpassing consoles in graphics is the fact that devs will just lazy port them as they have this gen as it is cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I think the Crtek guys are right, but remember that they are promoting Crysis 3 which is being pimped at very high end rigs. We're taling a GTX Titan or 690 or a 680in SLI and Icore 7's overclocked to 4.5Ghz etc.

Technically the PS4 is at the high end of a mid range gaming PC, a HTPC if you will. Crytek see the future as in 2-3 years with DDR4 and GDDR6, new CPU and GPU's.

In 2-3 years the PS4 *will* be obsolete and Crysis 4 would run on a PS4 at medium settings, whereas a 2-3 year time gaming rig would allow ultra settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I assume this is the article you're referring too?

Crysis 3 developer Crytek on why it's impossible for next-gen consoles to match the power of gaming PCs
    Crytek boss Cevat Yerli, restricted by non-disclosure agreements with both Microsoft and Sony, told Eurogamer Crysis 3 running on a powerful PC looks better than next-generation games due to be announced. Indeed, he said it is "impossible" for consoles to match gaming PCs.

The chief reason behind this, Yerli said, is cost.

"Without breaking NDAs that are in place, realistically, from purely a price point perspective, it is impossible.

"It's impossible to package $2000-3000 into a mainstream, let's say $500 console. I'm not saying they are $500 consoles. They may launch a console at $2000, but the consumer pricing is usually much lower than that.
    Again, Yerli is most certainly correct here. As with above though, we're talking about a $400 console being matched against "most PCs" which could mean absolutely anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

gizmo wrote: »
    I assume this is the article you're referring too?

Crysis 3 developer Crytek on why it's impossible for next-gen consoles to match the power of gaming PCs

Again, Yerli is most certainly correct here. As with above though, we're talking about a $400 console being matched against "most PCs" which could mean absolutely anything.

Thinly veiled.

Crysis 3 looks better than Killzone :P

It doesn't.

Crytek are a little worried.

I don't really care anyway, I like playing pc games but I sit infront of a computer all day at work and much prefer my 50" TV and six-speaker surround setup :D

Looking forward to the new playstation and xbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IN a few years there,ll be 6 core cpu pcs,more powerful than any console
    i dont care .I just think the ps4 is a very powerful console, well designed ,lots of memory ,looking at the game demos,it has the power to run games
    with complex,lighting ,shadows, way beyond the ps3 console.

ITS good news for pc gamers as games developed on ps3 will be easily ported to pc.I prefer to play console games, on a 32inch tv ,even if i had a pc thats more powerful than a console.
    I HOPE they design games with better ai, more complex enemy behavior,
    ie not just killzone,uncharted 4 with more advanced graphics.
    PC makers can bring out new motherboard, cpu designs,
    as amd ,and intel design new cpus ,every one or 2 years,
    A console designer has to decide on a design that,ll last for 5 to 7 tears.
    8gig ddr5 gives the programmers plenty of space to work in.

I think we,ll get more free to play,games, maybe even mmos, eg star wars the old republic,
    on the ps4 as its as powerful as most pcs on the market now.
    IF sony allows games to be controlled using a usb mouse,
    instead of just the controller.

MOST pc games have to be designed to work on a range of pcs,
    not just the latest super fast cpu,and graphics card ,otherwise the sales would be low,
    most people wont spend 1000 euros on a gaming pc.

MW3 runs on a pc dual core cpu, 2gig ram.

I think the ps4 design is as fast with 8 gig ram,
    as it could be, in terms of being economically viable,to make or sell in 2013.
    Although they have not announced the price yet.
    I Can,t think of a better looking game than the killzone demo , thats released now,on the pc.
    it looks as good as crysis 3,to me.
    Super fast pcs,tend to be loud,need alot of cooling,
    not exactly ideal for plugging into the tv in the front room ,for most people.

Many companys get patents they never use,
    as a defensive measure , just in case,
    i don,t think they,ll try and stop secondhand games being used,
    you may may to pay a few euro,s to play a game online, if the disc is bought secondhand,
    and you dont have an online code card.

It's like reading a poem but I can't find the rhyming structure...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

There is high end PC gaming rigs but so what ? If the games made for the PS4 are enjoyable it would really negate the need for a high performance rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Did the Crytek guy really expect the console to compete with a 2000-3000$ PC anyway?
    Seriously.. if you put your expectations that high then of course you're going to be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

Did the Crytek guy really expect the console to compete with a 2000-3000$ PC anyway?
    Seriously.. if you put your expectations that high then of course you're going to be disappointed.

THIS. PC will always be ahead, always, just by the nature of the beast, and the custimisation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement