Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I dont care if someone is out there ,with a pc with i7 cpu,
    16gig ram,
    2gig graphics card,etc.IF theres good games released on the next generation consoles ,that are better than the present console releases,
    with good gameplay, I,LL buy a new console.
    I,M presuming they,ll be less than 500 euros.
    I may wait 6 or 12 months, to see what games are released.
    I hope at least most fps,action games will run at 60 frames per second,
    in 720p, or 1080 p mode.That would be a significant improvement
    over the ps3,or 360 consoles.
    And you can set the console to display in 720 p, mode ,
    depending on what tv,or monitor ,you are using,
    IT would be nice if there was a dvi out,or vga port on the console ,
    for easy connection to pc monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

"PS4 will out-power most PCs for years to come."

Considering the PS4 will be less than €500 it's not a fair comparison to a several thousand Euro PC. The majority of PC's are also not gaming PC's, they are regular PC's so the statement about out-powering is probably going to be true. PS4 is 8GB RAM, my laptop is 2, my brothers is 4, my PC is 6, my PC in work is 4, any PC in collage is between 2 and 4. Unless you have a PC that is custom built or cost several thousand Euro, it is better than the majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am happy that ps4 will be quite powerfull. ( still I want to see it with my own eyes ) though why people are pulling numbers out of the arse with 2000-3000 marks?
    I haven't seen in the last 2 years a gaming PC built for more then 1300eu and be completely overkill. I don't even know who would build a PC for 2000!!! I know you say dollars, but when we come to Europe it's the same as putting eu instead of $.
    I personally see a 1200eu PC as being a very high end machine.

So ps4 is competing not with 3000eu/$ machine, but with 1200eu/$ machine maybe?

I really they would just hurry up with damn next gen! All this speculation starting to get annoying. I am already looking at wii u as I would love to play some monster hunter 3 ultimate! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I am happy that ps4 will be quite powerfull. ( still I want to see it with my own eyes ) though why people are pulling numbers out of the arse with 2000-3000 marks?
    I haven't seen in the last 2 years a gaming PC built for more then 1300eu and be completely overkill. I don't even know who would build a PC for 2000!!! I know you say dollars, but when we come to Europe it's the same as putting eu instead of $.

I really they would just hurry up with damn next gen! All this speculation starting to get annoying. I am already looking at wii u as I would love to play some monster hunter 3 ultimate! :D

Not sure if you meant me pulling those numbers out of nowhere, or the Crytek guys. But I was quoting the Crytek guys on that part.

I built an 800euro gaming rig last year, I think I'd rather spend the 400euro on a new graphics card rather than a full new console.
    The only thing that tempts me towards getting a PS4 is the exclusive games, Sony really do a good job at bagging themselves good exclusive games.

Anybody heard the rumour that Microsoft are planning on doing the same tactic Apple does. Announcing the Xbox 720 and releasing it immediately.
    Not sure how true this is, sounds like a poor marketing strategy imo, Sony has done a great job of getting people hyped about their console, but perhaps people will just buy whatever one comes out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yerli seems to have been just making the point that a "console" can never be more powerful than a "PC" because one can actually spend that much extra on the latter while the former is restricted to a single SKU at an affordable price point.

Either way, it's not exactly something to shout about if a $1200 machine can outpower a $400 console. Call me in a two years or so when a $400 PC can outpower a $400 console and we can revisit the comments from the Avalanche guy. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »
    Yerli seems to have been just making the point that a "console" can never be more powerful than a "PC" because one can actually spend that much extra on the latter while the former is restricted to a single SKU at an affordable price point.

Either way, it's not exactly something to shout about if a $1200 machine can outpower a $400 console. Call me in a two years or so when a $400 PC can outpower a $400 console and we can revisit the comments from the Avalanche guy. :P

Aye, i know. 1200eu pc compared to console, that we still dont have price on! ;)

I agree though, I did say it is 1200eu, but just to put to rest the stupid myth of 2000-3000eu PCs out there, because it looks like it is still a hard FACT in some circles!
    As a PC gamer i am very excited about PS4. If they can manage to pull out that much of performance out of that hardware then i tip my hat. It is good news for PC gamers too as we will get more optimisation due to very similar architecture.

All we do now is speculate. We still don't even know how the damn thing looks or what is the price.

Aye, i know. 1200eu pc compared to console, that we still dont have price on! ;)

I agree though, I did say it is 1200eu, but just to put to rest the stupid myth of 2000-3000eu PCs out there, because it looks like it is still a hard FACT in some circles!
    Oh aye, but when Yerli said $2000 I'd take it to mean the actual conversion to €1500 rather than conversation plus VAT for the parts over here. It is somewhat baffling that even now there are still people who think you need a ~$1000 PC to match the current gen of consoles. :o
    As a PC gamer i am very excited about PS4. If they can manage to pull out that much of performance out of that hardware then i tip my hat. It is good news for PC gamers too as we will get more optimisation due to very similar architecture.
    Well yes and no, I'm not precisely sure what we'll see on the console side but even with the more PC-like architecture it won't mean the PC versions will be more optimised, it simply can't, it'll just mean that when it comes to the multiplatform development we'll hopefully see less concessions needed when it comes to the PC side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Well yes and no, I'm not precisely sure what we'll see on the console side but even with the more PC-like architecture it won't mean the PC versions will be more optimised, it simply can't, it'll just mean that when it comes to the multiplatform development we'll hopefully see less concessions needed when it comes to the PC side of things.

Could mean more worse ports, the PC-like architecture of the consoles lowers the bar on how much effort a PC port needs so if a developer wants to then they could just half ass it a lot more easily now.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭trev179

Speculation speculation speculation :) just relax if you like pc gaming and you want to build a €1200 rig then do so , if you like console gaming and want to spend €400 - €500 console go right ahead.
    I personally have a ps3 (mgs4 , god of war), xbox 360 (halo , gears of war)and a pc rig (€800 , command and conquer , warhammer) no need to bitch and moan about consoles/rigs because if you want to play certain games you will buy what you need to play them , nuff said.

Varik wrote: »
    Could mean more worse ports, the PC-like architecture of the consoles lowers the bar on how much effort a PC port needs so if a developer wants to then they could just half ass it a lot more easily now.
    That's not really how it works. Generally speaking, if you were to remove the platform specific optimisations then you're left with a more platform agnostic codebase which would be able to take advantage of the raw performance increase that comes with more powerful rigs. In terms of assets, the consoles are also aiming for 1080p which, when combined with the dramatically increased VRAM will mean a higher base standard for visual quality so we won't need to put up with lower quality texture work (for instance) which is just being upscaled on PCs as we saw so often this gen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

All we do now is speculate. We still don't even know how the damn thing looks or what is the price.

Yeah

PC isn't a really gaming machine, but can do better than consoles.Simply because of finances and peoples refusal to go over a certain point money wise.

Still alot of inefficiencies in pc architecture as a gaming machine.

Console's are only affected by economics, they don't have those inefficiencies.

In an ideal world with no global recession and demand for high end specific hardware in abundance, it would be a very different playing field.

Imagine if Sony or MS could sell console hardware at 1200 euro and consumer demand was massive.

I can't even fathom what kind of specs they could put together with that kind of budget.

That's not really how it works. Generally speaking, if you were to remove the platform specific optimisations then you're left with a more platform agnostic codebase which would be able to take advantage of the raw performance increase that comes with more powerful rigs.

I was agreeing with what you said, and adding that simplifying the process by removing some platform specific development then still leave PC specific compatibility issue. Most games have a lead platform and it tends to be easy to guess which one it was on release, you'd get a 360 game running great and a PS3 & PC version suffering from any number of issues. Even wholly PC developed and exclusive games require high compatibility testing even when going between hardware/software developers/manufacturers with compatible API implementation.

The ps4 is basically a custom built pc, designed to be easy to develop for ,
    its well known the cell cpu was more complex,difficult to program for than the 360 ,which is just based on pc cpu,s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

riclad wrote: »
    The ps4 is basically a custom built pc, designed to be easy to develop for ,
    its well known the cell cpu was more complex,difficult to program for than the 360 ,which is just based on pc cpu,s.

The 360 wasn't based on Pc CPU's, it used Power Pc CPU architecture for the processor.

The reason 360 games were ported so easy to Pc was Direct X support and Ms being in control of both platforms with the same graphics libraries allowed them to develop tools to make porting 360 games to pc fast and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

The only thing that tempts me towards getting a PS4 is the exclusive games,

The biggest thing is the controller and game play.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    The biggest thing is the controller and game play.

I like the streaming and video capture, the real name/social, and the second screen stuff.

I like the streaming and video capture, the real name/social, and the second screen stuff.

Do you think you will use the video capture much ? Apart from trophies or game guides ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I actually really like the idea of the real name/social aspect too. The only problem is that none of my friends play video games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

A lot on the Japanese side of the internet are rather opposed to the real name thing, personally I like it.

greaterinternettheory.jpg

Nothing makes people polite and well mannered than the chance that if they do step out of line they'll be hunted down and beaten.

• Advertisement

If Sony can get out some other good F2P games like Blacklight then that will do wonders for them.

New PS4 details - raises friend limit, headset included, 'very large' HDD
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/398287/new-ps4-details-raises-friend-limit-headset-included-very-large-hdd/

Sony has just wrapped up its PS4-centric presentation at GDC in San Francisco during which it shared new information on the high-end console.

First up, multiplayer gamers will be pleased to know that Sony will include a mono microphone/headset with every PS4, reports CVG's Andy Robinson, who was in attendance, via Twitter.
    The firm also said that a split/screen multiplayer game could use the PS4 Eye to identify where players are sat and move the windows around to be suit each player's location in front of the TV.

The DualShock 4's lightbar - the illuminated panel across the top of the controller - will assist player recognition by shining a different colour on each controller in use. The lightbar, Sony said, can also be used for in-game effects such as gun muzzle flash health bars.

Sony showed off cute augmented reality demo featuring little robots living inside the controller. The could player shake the pad and press buttons to interact with the robots.

Sony also confirmed during the presentation that it will raise the PSN friend limit on PS4, according to IGN. It didn't specify what the new limit will be, but currently the PS3 enforces a 100-friend limit.

It also promised that every PS4 will come with a "very large hard drive", but again held off confirming capacities.

IGN also reports that the DualShock 4 controller will come with an extension port on it - likely to provide the possibility for add-ons in future. It will also revert back to regular digital buttons, doing away with the pressure-sensitive buttons on the PS2 and PS3 controllers due to the fact that no one used them on PS3.

THe PS4 will also charge the DualShock 4 (via a USB cable) even when on standby, unlike the PS3, which has to be fully switched on to provide power to drained controllers.

Sony has pencilled in a "holiday 2013" PS4 release date for the machine.
    Dual shock controller with what future extensions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,162 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe similar to Nintendo's Wiimote when you wanted to use the classic controller, you had to plug into the wiimote. Maybe a lightgun or some other peripheral. Though think this generation had enough peripherals to last a long time.
    Or may just be one of those "just in case" ports like Nintendo usually have or like the interactive card slot on Sky boxes.

I do wonder what the real power of the PS4 is. I was reading through an article on the PS4 and it was going through what Norden said at the Sony briefing. There is GDDR RAM but the CPU seems to be limited to a lot less.
    The PlayStation 4's monstrous memory set-up was also touched upon briefly in the presentation.

"The cool thing about GDDR5 is that it's extremely fast. There's crazy high bandwidth. We have 176GB/s of total bandwidth across the system. This is from GPU, CPU everything... It's a fully unified address space, unified memory. Everything can access everything," Norden said. "If you're coming from PS3 you're used to the split memory architecture, you can't quite use all of it, the speeds are really wacky on some of it. We don't have that. It's eight gigs, it's there, it's easy."

We have heard that the bandwidth levels of certain components vary though. While the GPU has full access to 176GB/s, one source tells us that the CPU is more constrained at around 20GB/s - still pretty good at around two-thirds the level of bandwidth available to Intel's Ivy Bridge. However, depending on how you interpret what Chris Norden said, you could either view PS4 as having unified bandwidth levels across all components or simply that 176GB/s is the maximum level of bandwidth across the entire system. For what it's worth, leaked Durango white papers also seem to suggest that the CPU there has lower levels of bandwidth than its graphics core - and there are many, many similarities between the two next-gen consoles.

I would like to see the PS4 picked apart a lot more from an architecture point of view.

WE ,ll see when games are released,
    is there a big difference, between ps4 and 720 consoles.
    The only difference i saw in the ps3 vs 360, was ps3 had blueray,
    more storage space ,for video ,image files.
    I presume the 720 will use blue ray ,or some other disc format
    to store games on .ie non dvd disk format.
    I never saw a game that looked significantly better than the 360 version.
    I don,t think mgs4 would fit on a dvd disk ,with all those long cutscenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭RedXIV

RedXIV wrote: »

I read something similar that it was almost certain to be a worldwide debut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I read something similar that it was almost certain to be a worldwide debut.

According to a comment by the Gamestop VP, it will be launching globally in 2013.
    The company's vice president of strategy business and brand development said in a conference call with financial investors: "We know that Sony will introduce the PlayStation 4 globally in 2013, but we are still waiting to see what Microsoft's final plans are."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement