Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Otacon wrote: »
    According to a comment by the Gamestop VP, it will be launching globally in 2013.

Most of the rumour that it'll slip to 2014 for any region is down to forum users like here making jumps, comparing it to the PS3 which had manufacturing problems and to the PS2 which was from a completely different time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I would really like to see it in 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Bit of outrage over the possibility of a "always online" next gen xbox that would require an internet connection to do anything.

And really bad Communication from a high roller in Microsoft

PS4 is looking better every day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,162 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The new XBox is expected to be announced this month isn't it? Probably be best to do it now since we are only 2 months from E3(Wow, time flies).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i hope the new killzone game shadowfall is more like killzone 2 than 3. also infamous second son is a worthy purchase for me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

RedXIV wrote: »
    Bit of outrage over the possibility of a "always online" next gen xbox that would require an internet connection to do anything.

And really bad Communication from a high roller in Microsoft

PS4 is looking better every day :)

Well, I agree with him actually. My PC is always on, as are everybodys laptops and tablets (that I know of) and everybody with a smart phone seems have a constant internet connection. Losing internet connection these days seems to be much rarer than say 3-4 years ago, broadband services are much improved (I know we're not there yet!)

So yeah, I dont really see it as an issue to have an always on console!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

CastorTroy wrote: »
    The new XBox is expected to be announced this month isn't it? Probably be best to do it now since we are only 2 months from E3(Wow, time flies).

Those in the know are now saying MS will show it or officially announce it in May and not this month as expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Well, I agree with him actually. My PC is always on, as are everybodys laptops and tablets (that I know of) and everybody with a smart phone seems have a constant internet connection. Losing internet connection these days seems to be much rarer than say 3-4 years ago, broadband services are much improved (I know we're not there yet!)

I get drop outs fairly regularly, about 10 a week on average and sometimes up to 5 times a day on UPC. If the next box is always online then I will not be buying something that needs a constant internet connection to work.

I can play my games on Steam offline so nothing needs to be online all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

You don't see it as an issue?

Since you have brought up examples, What if you couldn't use your phone since you had no internet connection. Actually imagine you ran out of credit (if you are PAYG) so your phone couldn't work anymore due to this.

Same with laptops, while the majority of things we do are online, there are still things that aren't.

I pretty much live in 2 places, place i'm renting in a city and the family house in a rural area. My internet is miles better in the city but even with that, it still drops. If I was playing a single player game and suddenly it stops because the internet cut, I'm going to be annoyed.

This isn't a rant about xbox either as it's still only rumours, but I don't want always online with anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Do you mind me asking where you live? Is it a big town or a very rural area? For myself anyway I live in a village with very unreliable internet.We used to have Eircom and it was a trend for years that the internet dropped at least 2-3 times a day. We changed to Vodafone and there are less drops but it isn't perfect.

I cannot even fathom how they think this is a good idea. Why should people need internet to play a single player game? The amount of money they'll lose from people not buying the console will hugely outweigh the money they'll save from people not pirating games. You must be in the .01% who think this is a good idea because everywhere I've looked people have said that Microsoft are committing gaming suicide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Chavways wrote: »
    I cannot even fathom how they think this is a good idea. Why should people need internet to play a single player game? The amount of money they'll lose from people not buying the console will hugely outweigh the money they'll save from people not pirating games. You must be in the .01% who think this is a good idea because everywhere I've looked people have said that Microsoft are committing gaming suicide.

I highly doubt MS think its a good idea to go always online. its more likely that the dev kits are always online for security purposes/Telemetry. MS dont want the latest sets of dev kits to be sold like the 2012 kit. there is also the possibility that the gaming press are simply spreading rumors for views (more than likely)

if there is even a whiff of this on the new console i wont touch it with a barge pole as even though i have a good connection its not what i want in a console at all. a console for me is used to play the 2/3 games i cant get on PC online requirements are just a waste of my bandwidth

I get drop outs fairly regularly, about 10 a week on average and sometimes up to 5 times a day on UPC. If the next box is always online then I will not be buying something that needs a constant internet connection to work.

I can play my games on Steam offline so nothing needs to be online all the time.

Sounds to me like this is more of an issue with your broadband provider than with the (hypothetical) always on nextbox.

tok9 wrote: »
    You don't see it as an issue?

Since you have brought up examples, What if you couldn't use your phone since you had no internet connection. Actually imagine you ran out of credit (if you are PAYG) so your phone couldn't work anymore due to this.

If I couldnt use my phone since I had no internet connection...... then I just couldnt use my phone and thats that. But you could ask what if I couldnt use my PC because I had no internet connection? It dosent happen anymore! Internet is there for me when I need it, (M.E). I sit down at my PC to check my emails, and it works, all the time! Its not 2005 anymore, our broadband sevice providers are massively improved.
    I just feel like, yes, its time for consoles to move forward and to take that bold next step. And if microsoft has the guts to do it, then I think they deserve to be supported.

Do you mind me asking where you live? Is it a big town or a very rural area? For myself anyway I live in a village with very unreliable internet.We used to have Eircom and it was a trend for years that the internet dropped at least 2-3 times a day. We changed to Vodafone and there are less drops but it isn't perfect.

I'm living in Clonmel and using Vodafone broadband for online PS3, I dont have any issues with dropouts or my internet being unavailable. Also, I have my PC out in my parents house, which is in a much more remote area. They have three broadband, which is always available when I visit (maybe once a week)

I think if they do announce an always on console, we should embrace it, rather than be afraid of it. It could be a massive game changer for the industry (for the better) You never know, it could be the best thing ever to happen to games.

I guess we will know everything in June!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I'm living in Clonmel and using Vodafone broadband for online PS3, I dont have any issues with dropouts or my internet being unavailable. Also, I have my PC out in my parents house, which is in a much more remote area. They have three broadband, which is always available when I visit (maybe once a week)

I think if they do announce an always on console, we should embrace it, rather than be afraid of it. It could be a massive game changer for the industry (for the better) You never know, it could be the best thing ever to happen to games.

I guess we will know everything in June!

But I actually don't see any advantages to them making an always online console. There's no point embracing it if they're going to be alienating a pretty big % of their current users. Its too early for them to be presuming that internet service is at a reasonably consistent level because it just isn't.The major cities and towns will be ready for an always no console.Everywhere else most likely will not.

In my opinion it will be another 10 years before we have a 100% reliable internet network here that will be accessible by everyone but even then an always online console will be an extremely stupid idea.

If I couldnt use my phone since I had no internet connection...... then I just couldnt use my phone and thats that. But you could ask what if I couldnt use my PC because I had no internet connection? It dosent happen anymore! Internet is there for me when I need it, (M.E). I sit down at my PC to check my emails, and it works, all the time! Its not 2005 anymore, our broadband sevice providers are massively improved.
    I just feel like, yes, its time for consoles to move forward and to take that bold next step. And if microsoft has the guts to do it, then I think they deserve to be supported.

You seem to be missing my point with the phone. I'm saying it couldn't be used at all, that you wouldn't be able to receive any calls or do anything with it until you can get an internet connection or top up.

You sound really selfish in this, I'm glad that you don't have any issues with your internet and I'm not the worst off myself but the broadband service is still a joke here. I agree it's improved since 2005 but it'd be a disgrace if it hadn't.

I know a lot of people who don't even have there xbox/PS3 connected to the internet never mind being always online.

How is this a bold step? It doesn't help us in anyway. I can't think of one advantage of it and I definitely won't be supporting it. Just look at the games which have always online functionality, all had issues.

Why are you for it? What benefit is there to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I have been with lots of phone companies and they all drop internet connections. UPC, Eircom, Sky, NET 1, o2 all of them have. I wouldn't like to get a machine requiring Internet connection to be perfect. I will be sticking to the PS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Same here. If it is the case it's somewhat arrogant. I think there should always be an option. I rarely connect to the net with my PS3. Usually play single player games so there's no need.

There is a drive towards this though. If you look at recently successful games like Far Cry 3 and Sleeping Dogs, they expect that you are connected when you play. I didn't connect while playing either but, particularly with Sleeping Dogs, you're regularly reminded that you're not connected (still my favourite game last year though). With Far Cry 3 too, when you select "Story" you are prompted to log in. Personally, I've no need to see how badly my scores etc. stack up against the world's finest twitch junkies and I like playing in private.

Anyway, with the talk of the new XBox being always online, I imagine (might be completely wrong) it'd provide them with a lot of valuable data. They could tell when you had your XBox on, what you did on it, how long you used it for, what games you play, how long you play each for, who you play them with. Seems like it's a way for them to get and use consumer data like how supermarkets use clubcards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i live in dublin and my internet drops from time to time. like **** would i but an xbox when i know my internet drops the odd time. what about the people who dont give a **** about online gaming? the only games i regulary play online are call of duty and fifa

You seem to be missing my point with the phone.

You sound really selfish in this,

How is this a bold step? It doesn't help us in anyway. I can't think of one advantage of it and I definitely won't be supporting it. Just look at the games which have always online functionality, all had issues.

Why are you for it? What benefit is there to you?

I got your point with the phone and I gave you an appropriate answer.

I'm selfish because I want something different than what you want? Ok.. :rolleyes:

Releasing the first always on console? Ah, thats a pretty freakin bold step whatever way you look at it. You might not agree with it, but you cant tell me that it is not, indeed, a very bold step.

Look at steam, I speak from my own experiance, but when I boot up my PC Steam starts automatically, and my PC is always connected to the net. Therefore, Steam is an always on platform. And guess what? Steam works great! When I want to play Left4dead online, I can, because everything works.

BTW, L4D is essentially an always on game and I'v never had any issue with it. And yes, I'm aware Steam has an offline mode.

• Advertisement

But I actually don't see any advantages to them making an always online console. There's no point embracing it if they're going to be alienating a pretty big % of their current users. Its too early for them to be presuming that internet service is at a reasonably consistent level because it just isn't.The major cities and towns will be ready for an always no console.Everywhere else most likely will not.

In my opinion it will be another 10 years before we have a 100% reliable internet network here that will be accessible by everyone but even then an always online console will be an extremely stupid idea.

Well I guess it just wouldnt be for everyone. And microsoft could end up Dreamcasting themselves, which would be a shame. I'd just like to hope that MS are thinking big, an always on console would really set them apart from the competition, for better or worse (probably worse) but hey, no guts no glory!
    None of our favorite games, films, music, books or artists are safe and predictable, so why do we want the same thing from a console? What is safe and predictable is nobodys favorite anything!

I'm hoping MS take a chance!

Well I guess it just wouldnt be for everyone. And microsoft could end up Dreamcasting themselves, which would be a shame. I'd just like to hope that MS are thinking big, an always on console would really set them apart from the competition, for better or worse (probably worse) but hey, no guts no glory!
    None of our favorite games, films, music, books or artists are safe and predictable, so why do we want the same thing from a console? What is safe and predictable is nobodys favorite anything!

I'm hoping MS take a chance!

what advantages are there of an always on system to a system that has both modes?

theres taking Gambles and being edgy and then theirs throwing yourself under a bus.

always online consoles are the latter as guess what will happen when launch day arrives and the servers on ms' end **** themselves and the console is useless

I'm selfish because I want something different than what you want? Ok.. :rolleyes:

No not because you want something different but because you don't seem to be considering other people who have a far worse internet connection than you.
    Releasing the first always on console? Ah, thats a pretty freakin bold step whatever way you look at it. You might not agree with it, but you cant tell me that it is not, indeed, a very bold step.

It's not bold. Bold is releasing a console with a second screen (Wii U) or a back touchpad (PS vita) or even a motion device like Kinect. These are far closer to bold decisions, some bad, some good that add something to a console but are not essential to running a console.
    Look at steam, I speak from my own experiance, but when I boot up my PC Steam starts automatically, and my PC is always connected to the net. Therefore, Steam is an always on platform. And guess what? Steam works great! When I want to play Left4dead online, I can, because everything works.

BTW, L4D is essentially an always on game and I'v never had any issue with it. And yes, I'm aware Steam has an offline mode.

I'm not even sure what you are saying here. Just because you are always connected online doesn't mean the software needs to be. As you said Steam has an offline mode.

I've never played L4D but i'm assuming it's similar to Dead Island in how it works and while yes it's primarily an online game, you can play single player.

That said I've no issue if someone wants to buy a game that only has online functionality, therefore you'd need to be online to play it.

Why should a single player game have to suffer when it might have no online functionality?

Seriously it says a lot when you can't think of an advantage for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

People that play call of duty,fighting games etc online will get fast broadband
    ,if its avaidable ,
    BUT a console that needs constant online connection is ridiculous.Look what happened to the record companys, when you treat all your customers as pirates , it just,s puts people off buying.

LOOK at bioshock infinite , a great single player game, an online connection would not add any signicant improvement to it,
    even dlc can be released on disc.
    Most games on tablets,phones dont need a net connection ,
    once they are downloaded, installed on the device.

Theres no reason why diablo single player needed a online connection,
    they just programmed it to login to a server, probably for drm reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I got your point with the phone and I gave you an appropriate answer.

Steam is not always on. If your connection drops, Steam doesn't kick you out and tell you to come back when you have a network connection. It tries to fail gracefully if it can.

If your in Single player game on Steam and your connection drops, you lose access to your friends but the game still works (assuming it isn't programmed to kick you but I don't know of any that do this).

Personally I wouldn't buy a game that required online to play at all. I wouldn't buy a console that required online to be functional.

It just doesn't make any sense to put in an unrequired dependency like that on something that people may not have and that many don't want.

I imagine it is just poor communication on Ms part or pitching the idea through leaks to see how negative the response is.

I don't expect them to go ahead with the idea though they've done crazier things. I guess it depends on how much influence the business people had, how far "the cloud" will be integrated to the console.

No not because you want something different but because you don't seem to be considering other people who have a far worse internet connection than you.

It's not bold.

I'm not even sure what you are saying here. Just because you are always connected online doesn't mean the software needs to be. As you said Steam has an offline mode.

Seriously it says a lot when you can't think of an advantage for it.

There is nothing I can do about other peoples internet. Nothing. It dosent make me selfish to have a good connection and want to use it.

It would be the single boldest move of this console generation.

You seem to be under the impression that I have all the answers, and I'm here to sell you an always on console. I dont, and I'm not. I am just of the opinion that it could work if done right.

I think you might be here for an argument rather than a discussion. I'm not so good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

There is nothing I can do about other peoples internet. Nothing. It dosent make me selfish to have a good connection and want to use it.

It would be the single boldest move of this console generation.

You seem to be under the impression that I have all the answers, and I'm here to sell you an always on console. I dont, and I'm not. I am just of the opinion that it could work if done right.

I think you might be here for an argument rather than a discussion. I'm not so good luck.

But what benefits are there to the gamer of an always on console? I can think of benefits for Microsoft but none for the gamer.

thebman wrote: »
    Steam is not always on. If your connection drops, Steam doesn't kick you out and tell you to come back when you have a network connection. It tries to fail gracefully if it can.

If your in Single player game on Steam and your connection drops, you lose access to your friends but the game still works (assuming it isn't programmed to kick you but I don't know of any that do this).

Personally I wouldn't buy a game that required online to play at all. I wouldn't buy a console that required online to be functional.

It just doesn't make any sense to put in an unrequired dependency like that on something that people may not have and that many don't want.

I imagine it is just poor communication on Ms part or pitching the idea through leaks to see how negative the response is.

I don't expect them to go ahead with the idea though they've done crazier things. I guess it depends on how much influence the business people had, how far "the cloud" will be integrated to the console.

I dont really expect them to go through with it either, it is extremly risky.
    BUT, one of the biggest games of recent was Battlefield 3, and that game was only played online. It worked just fine, for me on PS3 and PC anyway. I pumped over 125 hours in total into it.

I think maybe people are just scared of the unknown, that their new console wont work. I say give ms a chance to show us what they can do before we damn them.

I think maybe people are just scared of the unknown, that their new console wont work. I say give ms a chance to show us what they can do before we damn them.

not the unknown its very much known what will happen when Blizzard (the most competent MMO publisher) and EA (the largest games publisher) both couldnt do it

There are zero positives for such a system for the consumer and i sincerely hope its the Death of any console manufacturer that implements it

• Advertisement

Deano7788 wrote: »
    But what benefits are there to the gamer of an always on console? I can think of benefits for Microsoft but none for the gamer.

It would mean less (no?) piracy for MS, which means bigger profits for MS, bigger profits means bigger budgets for games. Games are very expensive to make, apparently, especially those AAA titles we all like so much.

Benefit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement