Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

The golden era of consoles has not come to an end... it probably has just matured.

interesting interview with Mark Cerny about the PS4 architecture The x86 architecture is grown up a lot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,539 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd don't see any point in pre-ordering the PS4. The first year is inevitably going to be awful, it is with every console. I find it's best to get a console in the second year since the library is at least built up and there's usually a price drop. Although when I got the PS3 it was another year again before there was anything of worth on it.
    MarkY91 wrote: »
    i meant that kids prefare call of duty type games over mario games that belong in the 90s

Yeah we all laughed at Nintendo when they said New Super Mario Bros Wii would sell more than Modern Warfare 2.

Unfortunately for you Nintendo were right by about 5 million copies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

DUALSHOCK 4. Looking good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd don't see any point in pre-ordering the PS4. The first year is inevitably going to be awful, it is with every console. I find it's best to get a console in the second year since the library is at least built up and there's usually a price drop. Although when I got the PS3 it was another year again before there was anything of worth on it.
    QUOTE]

I agree 100% but I'l still be pre-ordering. Why? That new hardware rush! Also, because I have six months from now to pay it off, coupled with vouchers I already have. Really looking forward to it, even though there proabably wont be any exclusive worth noting until the 2nd year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 EmmyOk

I am not sure about the PS4 selling out or not, but I do remember some guy claiming that it would be impossible to find a PS3 in stores they'd sell out so quickly. Penny-Arcade took up his challenge. My main concern for PS4 is how the PSN accounts will work, will I still have my old account on the new console? And will my PSN purchases transfer across to the new console?

i-HJGMj2f.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

EmmyOk wrote: »
    My main concern for PS4 is how the PSN accounts will work, will I still have my old account on the new console?

Yes, it will.
    And will my PSN purchases transfer across to the new console?

No, they won't.

My main concern for PS4 is how the PSN accounts will work, will I still have my old account on the new console? And will my PSN purchases transfer across to the new console?

You still have the content on the account but only the stuff that's still usable will work, the content is still there but can't run on the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

sining into ps4 with our current accounts. will it show up having no friends? will current friends who also get a ps4 show up? kinda confused about that

MarkY91 wrote: »
    sining into ps4 with our current accounts. will it show up having no friends? will current friends who also get a ps4 show up? kinda confused about that

You'll still have all your old friends the same way as it does with the Vita ( there was some issues at the start), the problem is that you're going to have a lot more friends with some being real names and some being PSN id so how will those transfer or show up on the PS3/Vita.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Enjoy

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php

Just reading through it now.

Edit: This is technical enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭RedXIV

tok9 wrote: »
    Enjoy

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php

Yeah I'm not pretending to understand it 100% but from what I'm seeing, its a good indication that PS4 shouldn't suffer the very slow start that the PS3 did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

RedXIV wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not pretending to understand it 100% but from what I'm seeing, its a good indication that PS4 shouldn't suffer the very slow start that the PS3 did.

I think as both systems are using similar architecture then they will be easy to port games that are in development for xbox or PC at the moment. This is an underrated step forward for the Playstation in particular. The PS3 was a ball ache to develop for cross platform games. Look at all the issues with BF3, COD and Skyrim.

Exclusives will play an even more important part of the next gen. This is were I think there is more creativity coming from the playstation camp from what I can see.

So far it is PS4 for me. If the 720 is much more powerful or there is something else that I have not thought of then I might rethink. I could not give a toss about social media integration and sharing videos. I know it is important to some people but for me its all about the games, controller and online network quality.

Microsoft is also the spawn of the Devil. If one is 350 and another is 550 then that will have a huge impact.

tok9 wrote: »
    Enjoy

I just posted that a few days ago. Yeah its comprehensive but sounds like they got the architecture just right to get the most out of what hardware they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I just posted that a few days ago. Yeah its comprehensive but sounds like they got the architecture just right to get the most out of what hardware they have.

Only checked this page and posted it. Wouldn't have if I'd seen it was posted.

If the PS4 came with an Xbox controller I'd probably have my mind made up already.

I put down a deposit for my PS4 yesterday, 35 preorders have been placed in our local gamestop so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I put down a deposit for my PS4 yesterday, 35 preorders have been placed in our local gamestop so far.

Where's that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

aindriu80 wrote: »
    The golden era of consoles has not come to an end... it probably has just matured.

interesting interview with Mark Cerny about the PS4 architecture The x86 architecture is grown up a lot.

Great read for a tech-head like me, but the gist is they admit that out of the gate developers will use all of the PS4 resources, but in 2-5 years time they'll have to approach things like they currently do with the CELL chip.

Meaning lots of tweaking and resource management and as future SDK are released and they "learn" the PS4 as they have the PS3 they'll be forced to tweak to keep pace.

He admits there is a dedicated audio chip, i assume Realtek HD audio, a media encoder/decoder chip...and a secondary background chip for background downloading or low power mode/standby downloads.

I'm sure we'll see some Broadcom chips, a few SoC and combo chips for wireless/bluetooth and Ethernet etc.

It does seem it is a custom APU tweaked by Sony though....so its not an off-the-shelf unit :)

Where's that?

Clonmel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

It does seem it is a custom APU tweaked by Sony though....so its not an off-the-shelf unit :)

the apu contains a slightly neutured 7970M based of the given specs so it is a lot more powerful than a standard APU which typically uses a low-mid end mobile gpu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Perhaps they might build in a better online service like xbox live,
    with headphones included in the box to improve multiplayer gaming.
    Maybe they could put in a hdmi port,or av in to make it possible to record tv programs on it.
    Probably 1 per cent of users will share videos, or upload videos to ustream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

riclad wrote: »
    Perhaps they might build in a better online service like xbox live,
    with headphones included in the box to improve multiplayer gaming.
    Maybe they could put in a hdmi port,or av in to make it possible to record tv programs on it.
    Probably 1 per cent of users will share videos, or upload videos to ustream.

did you know whats funny :P
    in black ops 2
    to stream your content online to twitch.tv
    or youtube
    ( this is through the black ops game, not through normal internet )
    you need at least 5mb uploading to do it

theirs no such thing as 5mb uploading in ireland :pac: most i can get is .5 if im lucky and im on 50mb broadband haha

we'd need to update irish connections before we expect anything better from sony

like streaming ps3 games ,eg onlive streaming ,its not practical for most people.
    it would put you over the download cap,eg playing ps3 games on a ps4. its very ineffecient in terms of bandwidth use ,
    if you want to play ps3 games , just hold onto your ps3.
    They are assuming everyone has very fast broadband,
    That,s why onlive was a failure ,most people who used it were probably testers ,or people who got free accounts.
    i presume you can upload youtube videos, without a 5meg upload connection,
    if you are patient.
    AND THE average irish person has better broadband than an american user.
    Many apps like ustream will never be used by most users.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

like streaming ps3 games ,eg onlive streaming ,its not practical for most people.
    it would put you over the download cap,eg playing ps3 games on a ps4. its very ineffecient in terms of bandwidth use ,
    if you want to play ps3 games , just hold onto your ps3.
    They are assuming everyone has very fast broadband,
    That,s why onlive was a failure ,most people who used it were probably testers ,or people who got free accounts.
    i presume you can upload youtube videos, without a 5meg upload connection,
    if you are patient.
    AND THE average irish person has better broadband than an american user.
    Many apps like ustream will never be used by most users.

So what you're saying is because you don't have the internet to use certain features, they shouldn't give other people the ability to use these features?
    Seems pretty selfish to me, and I say this as a user with <1mb wireless internet.

Sony isn't going to limit a consoles features just to please people with **** internet.

Also work on your post format, that was an incredibly difficult read.

I really don't understand all the hate towards the share button. Its really a brilliant feature, if you don't like it don't use it.
    We've all had those moments gaming where we did something really awesome and we want to show other people or even just watch it again yourself.

NO i like the share button, i like ustream uploading,
    I,M just saying most people will not have a fast enough connection to use all the ps4 apps .
    I,M glad they are ready to include apps to allow people with a fast connection to share videos,and upload videos, without connecting to a video capture unit.
    ITS possible in 3 years time ,we,ll have much faster broadband,
    I,M impressed they are designing this console to last at least 5 years.

This will encourage microsoft to make a console ,with apps for video sharing, uploading ,and other internet applications.
    MAYBE i could plug in a usb key,into the ps4, and copy a video of the last level of metal gear ,and play the video on a pc.
    or upload it from the pc to youtube.

The no of people who would want to livestream a game is limited
    anyway,
    regardless of the speed of their connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

NO i like the share button, i like ustream uploading,
    I,M just saying most people will not have a fast enough connection to use all the ps4 apps .
    I,M glad they are ready to include apps to allow people with a fast connection to share videos,and upload videos, without connecting to a video capture unit.
    ITS possible in 3 years time ,we,ll have much faster broadband,
    I,M impressed they are designing this console to last at least 5 years.

This will encourage microsoft to make a console ,with apps for video sharing, uploading ,and other internet applications.
    MAYBE i could plug in a usb key,into the ps4, and copy a video of the last level of metal gear ,and play the video on a pc.
    or upload it from the pc to youtube.

The no of people who would want to livestream a game is limited
    anyway,
    regardless of the speed of their connection.

Seriously though, why can't you type coherent paragraphs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Careful with your deposits !

Xtra vision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Careful with your deposits !

Xtra vision

and there goes the last of the places where ive bought a console :(

• Advertisement

NTMK wrote: »
    and there goes the last of the places where ive bought a console :(

I'm pretty sure Gamestop should be good for another console generation, so 8-10 years at least. After that, we'l all be streaming our games with PS5's and Xbox 1440's. With no physical media Gamestops buisness model will collapse in on itself.

So, good for another decade I predict :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement