Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

It seems as though most of the media is going for PS4 €425 price point for Europe.
    http://tinyurl.com/aq36r6t

Of course everyone would want a cheaper machine but would a cheaper price result in hardware being cut back ? I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Though at that price, is it the basic model, best model or only model?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

CastorTroy wrote: »

I'd say basic....probably a premium model for 499 and then special editions with games or an extra controller or something for 550.

I think 430 is about what i'd expect for the hardware, cant wait to it and the specs.

Is anyone gonna stay up and watch the live stream! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Is anyone gonna stay up and watch the live stream! :)

It's on at 23:00 GMT. I think I will stay up a few minutes past my bedtime for it.

CastorTroy wrote: »

No mention of any hard disk size yet. The only mention was 120GB the dev kits had.

The hardware will have to be sold at a lost with the games making up the profit. I'm just not sure what kind of a machine you could get for €425. I would really expect to pay twice that for a good laptop. But that would really be too much to ask for some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Otacon wrote: »
    It's on at 23:00 GMT. I think I will stay up a few minutes past my bedtime for it.

I'll get the Mars bars

aindriu80 wrote: »
    No mention of any hard disk size yet. The only mention was 120GB the dev kits had.

HDD space will probably be the last thing that's decided as it can be changed easily without impacting the systems performance. It can also be changed to allow them to meet a certain price point - for instance, if they want to hit at just under €400, they may choose a smaller HDD. Then, having the same non-proprietary HDD installed, consumers can easily upgrade it if they so wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Will they be SSD's?

srumball wrote: »
    Will they be SSD's?

To keep costs down, I doubt it. However, like the PS3, I think the PS4 will support SSD HDDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

To keep costs down, I doubt it. However, like the PS3, I think the PS4 will support SSD HDDs.

Don't think there'll be much point in one for the PS4, the PS3's Optical drive was a 2X speed Blu-ray drive and had a slow read speed but any new console (Xbox or PS4) could have a much faster one removing some of the need for installs to the HDD and the bottleneck that the Optical drive presented at times.
    HDD space will probably be the last thing that's decided as it can be changed easily without impacting the systems performance. It can also be changed to allow them to meet a certain price point - for instance, if they want to hit at just under €400, they may choose a smaller HDD. Then, having the same non-proprietary HDD installed, consumers can easily upgrade it if they so wish.

HDD don't tend to get any cheaper, they increase in capacity and spec but the price points tend to remain constant. This means that you can't really use them to reduce the overall price by much.

The largest drives cost X

The average cost Y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Best iPad friendly site to watch the media event on the 20th?

Varik wrote: »
    Don't think there'll be much point in one for the PS4, the PS3's drive was a 2X and had a slow read speed but any new console (Xbox or PS4) could have a much faster one removing some of the need for installs and the bottleneck that the drive presented at times.

I think you are mixing up the HDD with the Blu-Ray drive there. Check here for some comparisons between different HDDs.
    HDD don't tend to get any cheaper, they increase in capacity and spec but the price points tend to remain constant. This means that you can't really use them to reduce the overall price by much.

The largest drives cost X

The average cost Y

But if MS announce that the new Xbox will have a XGB HDD and cost €Y, Sony have the freedom to decide to reduce their own HDD space to try to match the Y figure or chanrge a bit more but have a higher figure than X. The HDD size won't affect the overall cost too much but gives them some leeway in trying to match or beat the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

But if it was an SSD it would drive the price up but also increase performance

After the PS3 launch, I can see Sony doing everything in their power to be within touching distance of next Xbox's price. If they can add it in and still stay close, I'm sure they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The hardware will have to be sold at a lost with the games making up the profit. I'm just not sure what kind of a machine you could get for €425. I would really expect to pay twice that for a good laptop. But that would really be too much to ask for some.

This is the thing. Modern consoles are underpriced for what they are. We accuse them of ripping us off as consumer if they charge a price even remotely close to what the machine has actually cost to make and then we moan when they sacrifice some of the build quality or remove expensive luxuries like hardware-based BC or extra USB ports.

I paid £375 I think for my first PS3 and £230 for the second one. I'd have rather paid £550 initially for a machine which lasted until today.

I think you are mixing up the HDD with the Blu-Ray drive there. Check here for some comparisons between different HDDs.

When I said drive I meant optical drive, The PS3's blu-ray drive was 2x which is slower than a 12x DVD in the 360. A newer Blu-ray drive for the PS4 could be like the rumours say a 6X or higher.

The slow speed of the optical drive was one of the reasons that PS3 games required an install (as well as the fact that the ps3 had a guaranteed HDD), and the reason that SDD could provide a large improvement for some games was that they were being bottlenecked by the HDD (faster than any optical drive but still limiting in some cases) where it was being utilized greatly and the game was not optimised much (Skyrim Fox Nutritious Pest it's FPS with an SDD early on and after patching is was much closer)
    But if MS announce that the new Xbox will have a XGB HDD and cost €Y, Sony have the freedom to decide to reduce their own HDD space to try to match the Y figure or chanrge a bit more but have a higher figure than X. The HDD size won't affect the overall cost too much but gives them some leeway in trying to match or beat the competition.

Reading that's making me think of my old maths teacher explaining variables/unknowns, X will always be 5 and Y will always be 10.......at least for the next 5 minutes.

SSD is quick but do you really need it ? They did some tests and there was almost zero performance gain between a 7200 rpm and a 5000rpm Hard disk on the PS3.

I can wait on a PS3 game loading up as the whole thing is deliberate and I am not in a major panic. The thing I can't put up with is the slow speed of the Operating System (if you can call it that). That should be stored on flash memory or something. You should be able to check trophies, reply to messages, change settings very quickly.

SSD is quick but do you really need it ? They did some tests and there was almost zero performance gain between a 7200 rpm and a 5000rpm Hard disk on the PS3.

That's because the PS3 only runs at 5400PRM. If the PS4 has an SSD and is designed to utilise it properly, it could dramatically improved boot-up times and loading in general.
    I can wait on a PS3 game loading up as the whole thing is deliberate and I am not in a major panic. The thing I can't put up with is the slow speed of the Operating System (if you can call it that). That should be stored on flash memory or something. You should be able to check trophies, reply to messages, change settings very quickly.

With more RAM available, this shouldn't be a problem. TBH I hope the PS4's interface is as close as possible, functionally, to the XMB. Their recent store re-design doesn't inspire confidence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'd be pretty surprised if they put an SSD in. If they were going to, 120GB would probably be the max size due to the current price. With the rise of digital media and the ps3 being known as a media server, that's no where near big enough.

But If it does utilise it correctly and the prices of SSDs comes down, I'll definitely get one.

I'd imagine there will be 2, maybe 3 models. I think a hard drive of 250GB and 500GB are certainties. The 3rd model may be 120GB.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    This is the thing. Modern consoles are underpriced for what they are. We accuse them of ripping us off as consumer if they charge a price even remotely close to what the machine has actually cost to make and then we moan when they sacrifice some of the build quality or remove expensive luxuries like hardware-based BC or extra USB ports.

I paid £375 I think for my first PS3 and £230 for the second one. I'd have rather paid £550 initially for a machine which lasted until today.

Agreed with all above. I guess it really depends on the market and what Sony thinks people will buy. Personally I would spend more on a console and get one that was the business.

• Advertisement

That's because the PS3 only runs at 5400PRM. If the PS4 has an SSD and is designed to utilise it properly, it could dramatically improved boot-up times and loading in general.

With more RAM available, this shouldn't be a problem. TBH I hope the PS4's interface is as close as possible, functionally, to the XMB. Their recent store re-design doesn't inspire confidence though.

My sentiments. I don't want to get too hung up over the PS4 specs but I really do hope Sony pushes the boat out and give us a super fast machine.

'Dual Camera' said to support head and hand tracking as game inputs
    Share +
    Comments 12
    By Tom Ivan for CVG UK

Sony is "almost sure" to bundle a next generation PlayStation Eye device with every PlayStation 4.

That's according to a new rumour published on VGLeaks, which backs up a recent Edge report claiming that Sony is developing an improved iteration of the PS Eye peripheral that will be compatible with the Move controller.
    Referred to as 'Dual Camera', the device is said to contain a pair of wide-angle cameras, each offering a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels, while sound is processed by a four microphone array working at 48 Khz,

The site claims the device supports head and hand tracking as new game inputs, adding that it's unclear if it'll support body tracking in the future.

On the non-gaming side of things, the Dual Camera is said to be capable of supporting video chat, and recognising and signing users into PS4.

Sony is expected to reveal PlayStation 4 at an event taking place in New York on February 20.

The next generation console will launch in Japan and the US by the end of 2013 but will not be released in Europe until "early 2014", Edge recently reported.

Looks like they are including it with the PS4 and it will work with the existing PlayStation Move.

So new rumour out from a source meant to be someone in Guerrilla that there's a 2013 Killzone 4.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/killzone_3/news/killzone_4_launching_on_playstation_4_releasing_in_2013.html

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Just for a laugh Sony should show a target render of Killzone 4 on PS4 in 8bit graphics.

Morpork wrote: »
    Just for a laugh Sony should show a target render of Killzone 4 on PS4 in 8bit graphics.

Just some live action with a good filter and some of the Sony execs playing the parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

They should do another redone clip of the opening of Final Fantasy 7(with PS4 graphics) just to set the speculation off :pac:

cloud493 wrote: »
    They should do another redone clip of the opening of Final Fantasy 7(with PS4 graphics) just to set the speculation off :pac:

I don't think that would start any speculation, just an angry mob looking for Squares heads on spikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i know what and SSD but does the average gamer? 90% of people i know with a ps3 dont understand what a HDD is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

MarkY91 wrote: »
    i know what and SSD but does the average gamer? 90% of people i know with a ps3 dont understand what a HDD is

I'd be surprised if it was that high, we're at the stage now where we're getting close to 40 years of games in the world and a full generation of people who are not afraid to get to grips with technology. While I wouldn't necessarily expect all gamers to understand exactly what the anagrams mean and how an SSD drive is faster than your average harddrive, I would expect the vast majority to be aware of the importance of the hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

RedXIV wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if it was that high, we're at the stage now where we're getting close to 40 years of games in the world and a full generation of people who are not afraid to get to grips with technology. While I wouldn't necessarily expect all gamers to understand exactly what the anagrams mean and how an SSD drive is faster than your average harddrive, I would expect the vast majority to be aware of the importance of the hard drive.

You'd be surprised, Only recently I worked with a friend I went to college with. We both did a IT degree and he wasn't really aware of an SSD.

So I'd be shocked if the average consumer knew. All most people look for is the size of a hard drive, never the speed of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement