Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Examiner Article
    ‘Killzone Shadow Fall’ PS4 graphic engine details

New information concerning Guerrilla Games’ upcoming PS4 exclusive, “Killzone Shadow Fall,” surfaced on May 14 as the company released a 100 page PDF document detailing the development of “Killzone Shadow Fall” for PS4.

During the PS4 unveiling, Sony showcased “Killzone Shadow Fall” as a premiere title for their next-generation home console. Found within the 100 page technical breakdown, Guerrilla shares that “Killzone” used just 3GB of the system’s 8GB of RAM.

Only 3GB??!??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Otacon wrote: »
    Only 3GB??!??

The initial rumours had the PS4 having only 4GB of RAM, with some reserved for the OS. This looks like the designed and built the game with that spec in mind and then Sony later decided to go with the 8GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

More power for the OS so hopefully. It's badly needed anyway as I'm sure they don't want as slow a OS as the XMB is on the PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I'd say that devs will be limited to ~4GB of ram for a while as Sony build onto the OS for some time after release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

They confirmed that 7GB of the RAM is available to developers, and 1GB will be used on the OS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I dont really see an issue in that at all. Most demanding ( non mod ) games on PC still take about 2gb ram + GPU memory. PS4 did not show anything that would be better then PC quality. so 3gb shared ram usage sounds right. It will be a while till we see some proper games, that will find the limits on ps4 hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

They confirmed that 7GB of the RAM is available to developers, and 1GB will be used on the OS.

Who, When and Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

But that link, as well as the others I found online discussing the 7GB figure, refer to it as a rumour based on anonymous conversations with a dev.

It may very well be true but using the word 'confirmed' is incorrect at the moment.

It seems pretty believable though. A PC with 1GB of RAM could easily manage Windows 8, a browser with a couple of tabs open, a chat program or two, and play music and video all at the same time. That's including all the background services, anti-virus etc that goes along with running Windows. The PS4 OS, being specifically designed for the hardware it runs on, should be significantly more efficient.

The only reason I can think of that they would need to reserve more for is for the PS Eye, which could be a bit of a RAM hog if it includes the rumoured Kinect like functionality. That may be optional for developers though, so they might have a choice between no/limited Eye functionality and 7GB of RAM to use, or lots of Eye functionality and say 6GB of RAM to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

While I do believe that 1GB will be reserved for the OS, rumour =/= confirmed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,539 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

stevenmu wrote: »
    It seems pretty believable though. A PC with 1GB of RAM could easily manage Windows 8, a browser with a couple of tabs open, a chat program or two, and play music and video all at the same time. That's including all the background services, anti-virus etc that goes along with running Windows. The PS4 OS, being specifically designed for the hardware it runs on, should be significantly more efficient.

The only reason I can think of that they would need to reserve more for is for the PS Eye, which could be a bit of a RAM hog if it includes the rumoured Kinect like functionality. That may be optional for developers though, so they might have a choice between no/limited Eye functionality and 7GB of RAM to use, or lots of Eye functionality and say 6GB of RAM to use.

The video recording stuff I could see being a major resource hog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »

From what they've shown previously there was dedicated hardware for the encoding/decoding and uploading/downloading.

Don't know what is or isn't shared, I think there's a few articles that have gone into detail.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Possibly. I don't know a huge amount about it tbh, but I would guess that with dedicated encoding hardware it shouldn't be too bad. If you think about it, your average digital camera wouldn't have a huge amount of RAM available, and doesn't need it because it has dedicated circuitry to encode video and send it straight to disk. I'd imagine the PS4 would be a bit more complicated and would need to dedicate some resources to buffering outgoing streams etc, but that shouldn't be more than a few MB unless it's very high quality. That's just un-educated guess work though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Teaser trailer:

Reveal is june 11th at 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

F1ngers wrote: »
    Teaser trailer:

You beat me to it F1ngers :D

Didn't think Sony had it in them to release something like this a day before the Xbox reveal.
    It didn't show much, but it'll still build a good bit of hype for the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Queue the frame by frame breakdown analysis that will probably start all over the web. I wonder if there's enough info for someone out there to piece together the snippets based on the blurred outline of the box to give a detailed pic of what it will look like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Didn't think Sony had it in them to release something like this a day before the Xbox reveal.

The gloves are off now and Sony have MS against the ropes. It's up to MS to duck and swing back tomorrow by actually showing off the console tomorrow and they claim to have a load of exclusives to show off at E3. We'll see. Good times ahead.

I just hope its a matte finish and not a gloss one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I just hope its a matte finish and not a gloss one.
    I actually liked the gloss far better than the cheap matte of the slims. The old ps3 looks far better than my slim.

If they had a matte finish like that of the black 360 then I'd have no problems though. That seemed far less textured and was smoother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

F1ngers wrote: »
    Teaser trailer:

It's kinda hard to see but think this is what it looks like

original.jpg

:pac:

Stills of the console from the trailer;
    http://postimg.org/gallery/7vcp0qm4/0b4ebf5d/

Is that built in PS Eye in the fourth shot?
    The fifth image is interesting too, looks like physical buttons rather than touch, hope it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Stills of the console from the trailer;
    http://postimg.org/gallery/7vcp0qm4/0b4ebf5d/

Is that built in PS Eye in the fourth shot?
    The fifth image is interesting too, looks like physical buttons rather than touch, hope it is.

It's the PS Eye, but it's not built in. The fifth image is from the controller. It's a close up of the d-pad and the share button.

Imagine if Sony released another teaser on Wednesday. Really stick it to MS :p

http://www.robleydesign.com/misc/MI3-Kazification.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 29,857 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

k-bigpic.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Imagine if Sony released another teaser on Wednesday. Really stick it to MS :p

Gonna need a bit more than a teaser for anyone other than a total fanboy to think that would be sticking it to MS :pac:

As someone firmly on the fence, this little glimpse from sony couldn't be more insignificant.

Gonna need a bit more than a teaser for anyone other than a total fanboy to think that would be sticking it to MS :pac:

As someone firmly on the fence, this little glimpse from sony couldn't be more insignificant.

By stick it to them, I meant as in just really try and steal their thunder. No need to get abusive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

By stick it to them, I meant as in just really try and steal their thunder. No need to get abusive.

What? I wasn't abusive, maybe be less sensitive as I was not referring to you, goodness grief!

• Advertisement

What? I wasn't abusive, maybe be less sensitive as I was not referring to you, goodness grief!

The wording of your post made it sound like you were calling me a total fanboy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement