Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Sony have BS the gaming world in the past. Remember the HD dual screen support? Multi aplplication support? How brilliant Killzone looked and then was largely poor in comparison. Accompany this with the fact that Sony have failed to launch hardware properly for well over 15 years now. The PS3 was a bit lonely for a while.

Sony have won nothing yet. If MS start announcing lots of impressive exclusives and content then the balance will shift right back but at the minute the PS4 could destroy the Xbox One. All it needs to do is not include always online(once every 24 hours or whatever) not mess with second hand games, get some decent games, not leaving PS4 users waiting months for content, and finally don't make the PS4 so ugly.

As someone who ported from PS3 to 360 this Gen I have an inherent untrust of Sony but I hope they get it right now becuase the Xbox One looks wholly in impressive at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

The rumour mill is turning about a possible 2013 release for Europe after an ad appeared in Britain's Metro newspaper;

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I was expecting 2013 :P later would be no good...they're gonna want to cash in on that xmas market after all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

the ps3 will be launched in Europe and the rest of the world 2013 full stop. No rumour.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    the ps3 will be launched in Europe and the rest of the world 2013 full stop. No rumour.

Well the fact that no release date has been officially confirmed by Sony for Europe surely makes everything rumour doesn't it?
    PS4: Release date

The PS4’s European release date is unknown, however, reports claim the console will arrive on UK shores early next year. Stock shortfalls are likely to be the reason for this. When the PS3 first went on sale back in 2006 it was exclusive to US and Japanese customers – we European were forced to wait until March the following year to get our mucky paws on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

mozattack wrote: »
    When will they get it; you buy a console for games. We have SKY and Chorus for TV. Wish they'd focus on that instead of adding crap to it that no one wants.

Also what is the buzz with the Blue Ray disk drive? Muck is what I say.

What is really ironic, that all that shiet and even more you can get from smart tv's, which little by little becoming a standard.
    What is even more stupid, that you will still need a cable box connected to Xbox anyway. So why on earth would I want to **** around and be connecting it to decking Xbox. Specially for the features that are only available in US!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Well the fact that no release date has been officially confirmed by Sony for Europe surely makes everything rumour doesn't it?

You can believe it to be 100% true. You saw the ad they published in the Metro newspaper, they're not idiots, it wasn't a mistake.

So PS4 global release in 2013. Confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Saw this on reddit, a list of exclusives either confirmed for the PS4, or studios that are confirmed to be working on a PS4 exclusive:

Confirmed exclusives:

inFamous: Second Son
    Killzone: Shadow Fall
    Knack
    DriveClub
    Doki-Doki Universe (on Vita)
    Hohokum (on Vita)
    Diablo III (on PS3 and PC)
    The Witness (possibly a timed exclusive)
    War Thunder: Ground Forces (on PC)
    Blacklight Retribution (on PC)

Studios working on unannounced PS4 exclusives:
    Naughty Dog
    Sony Santa Monica
    Polyphony
    Sony San Diego
    SCE London
    Sony Bend (personally I doubt this)
    Sony Online Entertainment
    Media Molecule
    Housemarque (two exclusives)

PS4 Price Could Be 400 Euros
    Leaked information suggests Sony could be looking to sell the PS4 for around 400 Euros.

Sony hasn't yet revealed what it might expect to release the PS4 at - likely to wait for Microsoft to make its move on the next Xbox - but a recent mishap on Sony's official site could suggest it'll be 400 Euros.

Link

Is it me or 250gb sounds like a VERY small HDD for a platform that most likely have hdd instalation for games?
    I know for sure that I will try to get at least 500gb version or 1tb ( if there will be one )

• Advertisement

Yeah, 250GB seems small. Though as a cheap model it would sell a lot as I would imagine a lot of people will think 250GB is a lot.
    At their reveal they just said it would have a very large hard drive, so I'm expecting something around 750GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is it me or 250gb sounds like a VERY small HDD for a platform that most likely have hdd installation for games?
    I know for sure that I will try to get at least 500gb version or 1tb ( if there will be one )

Not much point spending extra now when you won't be needing that much space until much later. Would rather buy the cheaper 250 now and put a 1.5/2TB in it in a year+.

There's also the notion that a Xbox One 500GB is better than a PS4 250GB, the HDD space might be the least important (in PS4 case as the Xbox is fixed and proprietary so it is important) spec but it is easy to use in separating skus and products.

€399.99 and £349.99, likely price points but works out at a bit more for those who'll get it from any UK site(+tax).

Varik wrote: »
    Not much point spending extra now when you won't be needing that much space until much later. Would rather buy the cheaper 250 now and put a 1.5/2TB in it in a year+.

There's also the notion that a Xbox One 500GB is better than a PS4 250GB, the HDD space might be the least important (in PS4 case as the Xbox is fixed and proprietary so it is important) spec but it is easy to use in separating skus and products.

€399.99 and £349.99, likely price points but works out at a bit more for those who'll get it from any UK site(+tax).

I wonder if you will be able to switch hdds like you could with ps3?
    I doubt ps4 games will fully work of disc. Some bigger games on ps3 already need to be installed on hdd. So ps4 most likely will need installing too.

Anyway, we need to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I doubt ps4 games will fully work of disc. Some bigger games on ps3 already need to be installed on hdd. So ps4 most likely will need installing too.

You only install a small portion of the game, not the full disc, so I can't imagine they'll do it like Microsoft and make a full disc install mandatory.

The PS3 games are running off a 2X Blu-ray drive, the PS4 has a 6X drive.

Complete assumption below.

The PS4 can play downloaded games before they finish and continue to download during gameplay, this was a required feature of the games and could mean that some of this ability would be possible on disc games; installing a core portion of the game and running the rest from disc when need and during gameplay.

Varik wrote: »
    The PS3 games are running off a 2X Blu-ray drive, the PS4 has a 6X drive.

Complete assumption below.

The PS4 can play downloaded games before they finish and continue to download during gameplay, this was a required feature of the games and could mean that some of this ability would be possible on disc games; installing a core portion of the game and running the rest from disc when need and during gameplay.

I thought the whole "play, while downloading" was some what connected with gaikai and online streaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

I thought the whole "play, while downloading" was some what connected with gaikai and online streaming.

You can or will be able to steam the game a la Gaikai/Onlive but from the start you'll be able to play partially downloaded games with the remainder downloading as needed or when possible.

Edit:

The first Playstation game to do this is actually a PS3 game.

The last of us can be started and played at 50% and as long as you're not using any network functionality at the time (online multiplayer) it'll continue to download, now on the PS3 it'll be limited compared to the PS4 and it's dedicated hardware for the job but this will be the fisrt instance of what they've planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

NUTZZ wrote: »
    It looks like we've won this year! :p

Xbox One thrashed by PS4 in GameSpot's global Twitter poll

xbox-one-ps4-gs-poll.jpg

Link

you can gladly have all the 12-13 year old squeeky kids :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

Hardly anyone on playstation uses a headset, so they can squeak away.

MOD: When quoting articles, only quote a small portion of the article - include a link so they get a "hit".

• Advertisement

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

If Sony gets all the 12-13 year olds, who'll be left for the Xbox One?

F1ngers wrote: »
    Hardly anyone on playstation uses a headset, so they can squeak away.

Won't be the case this gen as Sony are providing a headset with every console. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Am I right in thinking all the ps1 games I brought off the us psn store won't work on the ps4?

Am I right in thinking all the ps1 games I brought off the pan store won't work on the ps4?

Not so far, but having them on you account rather than on disc means that Sony know you have it so if anything does happen with Gaikai then it may work in the future.

Same goes for PS2/3 having the digital PS3 version from PSN is the best bet for having the streaming access later (but they don't know yet).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I hope so I brought a load of RPGs off the us psn store :pac:

Will you be able to have multiple psn accounts like on the ps3 do ye think?or have they said anything about that yet?

This is how Sony would win E3:
    Tretton welcomes everyone then welcome Andy House on stage.

Andy: No DRM.
    Kaz comes up right after him: 399.
    Cerny walks up: Here's the console.
    Tretton: Thanks for joining us, enjoy the rest of the show. Here are gameplay videos of 30 games in development for the PS4.

Tretton the drops the microphone and leaves the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

really considering jumping ship from microsoft now... apparently they will be monitoring what gamers are doing etc so ie collecting marketing data for all the stupid ads they have for xbox live.....

jesus christ AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

if ps4 is gonna be solely a gaming console i am sold...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

really considering jumping ship from microsoft now... apparently they will be monitoring what gamers are doing etc so ie collecting marketing data for all the stupid ads they have for xbox live.....

jesus christ AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

if ps4 is gonna be solely a gaming console i am sold...

Do you know is sony will be doing something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Do you know is sony will be doing something similar?

To be honest I don't but its advantage Sony now they can put gamers first win E3 and overtake ms as main players IMO

same as, I have an inherent distrust of sony through my many dealings with them (consoles, phones, audio gear, visual gear)...however, its been 5 years since I last bought a sony product and they've gone through a real rough time so maybe they've re-evaluated and changed their practices, maybe they no longer think only about the bottom line, maybe their attitude of sticking their heads in the sand when something goes wrong has changed, I sure hope so.

• Advertisement

I'd say its less likely Sony will have a DRM, as their console isn't always online which means there isn't anyway for them to monitor someones account if they just disconnect from the internet and play the games without an online connection.

Just as a matter of interest, if Sony were to implement some sort of DRM similar to Microsoft, how many people would change their minds about getting a PS4?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement