Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I'd say its less likely Sony will have a DRM, as their console isn't always online which means there isn't anyway for them to monitor someones account if they just disconnect from the internet and play the games without an online connection.

Just as a matter of interest, if Sony were to implement some sort of DRM similar to Microsoft, how many people would change their minds about getting a PS4?

Sony have the same/similar DRM, they are leaving it up to the publishers to decide if they want to use it or not.

What Sony do with Sony games remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

F1ngers wrote: »
    Sony have the same/similar DRM, they are leaving it up to the publishers to decide if they want to use it or not.

What Sony do with Sony games remains to be seen.

Sony may leave the whole DRM/Always online idea where it is. Microsoft is totally about getting every buck they can legitimately get their hands on but its predominantly Microsoft pushing the whole idea.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Sony may leave the whole DRM/Always online idea where it is. Microsoft is totally about getting every buck they can legitimately get their hands on but its predominantly Microsoft pushing the whole idea.

Being devil's advocate, I'm not sure if it is MS pushing DRM, they may well be fully on board with the plan as they get a cut of the profits but I'm not 100% gonna place the blame on them until I know 100% that sony isn't going to do it too. Doesn't nintendo already have some rather pesky restrictions associated with it's wiiU console too? (not sure as I'm not digging that console at all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Surely with signs up at the Champions League Final (in Wembley) stating "PS4 coming 2013" we'll be getting a Christmas release in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Vyse wrote: »
    Surely with signs up at the Champions League Final (in Wembley) stating "PS4 coming 2013" we'll be getting a Christmas release in Europe.

Flatmates there right now, doubt he's even going to notice it but still was a good sign when I saw it.

• Advertisement

I posted this in the xbox forum in their next gen reveal thread.

This is the url of the xbox one reveal on the official xbox you tube channel, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0HgsIf-ps4

I got a little giggle out of it anyway.

This is the url of the xbox one reveal on the official xbox you tube channel, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0HgsIf-ps4

After years of disappointing E3 conferences I thought "Yes, this is going to be exciting". How wrong I was:(

At least E3 can't be any worse:eek::eek:

I was a bit confused as its the actual legit Xbox reveal. I laughed anyway as the combination of U.S styled living with a new multimedia box had me laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I was a bit confused as its the actual legit Xbox reveal. I laughed anyway as the combination of U.S styled living with a new multimedia box had me laughing.

Look at the last 3 digits of the url, I think that's what he's referring to.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Look at the last 3 digits of the url, I think that's what he's referring to.

It is indeed.

• Advertisement

It is indeed.

; ) ok.

I thought it was the whole thing was a joke : D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I thought it was just referring the the number of dislikes.

Latest rumour online is that Sony is listening to the backlash Micro$oft is getting about DRM and may cancel its own plans to introduce it. Twitter has been pretty vocal of late about the whole DRM thing MS is bringing through and quite a few people used the #ps4NoDRM tag to voice their opposition.

http://www.gamernewzdaily.com/p/youtube-5.html

If you have a twitter account voice your opposition to the PS4 having any restrictions on used games/additional charges. #ps4NoDRM

Latest rumour online is that Sony is listening to the backlash Micro$oft is getting about DRM and may cancel its own plans to introduce it. Twitter has been pretty vocal of late about the whole DRM thing MS is bringing through and quite a few people used the #ps4NoDRM tag to voice their opposition.

If you have a twitter account voice your opposition to the PS4 having any restrictions on used games/additional charges. #ps4NoDRM

No one is cancelling anything, if it's already in place and agreed with the publishers then it's staying in. They've previously said that they have a system in place that is likely similar but it's left up to the publisher for each game. The only thing this may do is press Sony to not introduce it for their own games.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'll do my bit, and at least this gives them a chance to get my cash rather than get none of it :cool:

I must admit, the whole second hand game thing doesn't bother me at all. I don't trade in any games and the only second hand game I bought this generation was Killzone 2 (that's 1 out of 100+ games).

Where the concern lies for me is the price of games after release. At the moment publishers are slashing the price of their games a couple of months post release. One of the main reasons is to try and combat second hand sales. With this obstacle overcome games are likely to remain at full price for a lot longer as there will be no real incentive to cut the price.

I fear the number of bargains I will be picking up next gen may be severly cut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Same here. The last game I traded was in order to buy San Andreas the first time round and I can only think of Arkham Asylum that I bought pre-owned but with the lack of downward pressure on prices caused by the second-hand market coupled with the death of the high street I'm expecting prices of next-gen games to start high and stay high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

But havent Sony always had an Essentials range for like €20? I would imagine they will still continue this tradition. There will still be bargins, I'd imagine most of them will just be online now.

I got the excellent Mortal Kombat for a measly €10 from PS Store this week, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

The remote playable with the Vita and the PS4 is done for almost all games, the Wii U can't even do this.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    The remote playable with the Vita and the PS4 is done for almost all games, the Wii U can't even do this.

True, but how many years did it take Playstation to get to that point? Wii U is only a few months old, all good things come in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

True, but how many years did it take Playstation to get to that point? Wii U is only a few months old, all good things come in time.

I don't understand what you mean here? How is the PS4 older than the Wii U?

Newaglish wrote: »
    I don't understand what you mean here? How is the PS4 older than the Wii U?

Nevermind, I read PS4 as PS3! :P

Nevermind, I read PS4 as PS3! :P

What I mean is that the PS4 which does not come with a vita or have it as a required part of the system has better a second screen set-up compared to the Wii U where it was part of the focus.

Varik wrote: »
    What I mean is that the PS4 which does not come with a vita or have it as a required part of the system has better a second screen set-up compared to the Wii U where it was part of the focus.

Oh yeah, PS4 is knockin it outta the park with that, no doubt. But Wii U will catch up.

I dont have a Vita though, dont know anyone that does either. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I was wondering about what they said about PS+. They said it carries over onto the PS4, but since it's not backwards compatible with any of the previous gen games, what are you going to be getting?

I'm on PS+ now and it's a great service, but I imagine it'd slow down a lot on the PS4, at least until a year or two goes by and until more games out.

I wonder will it be as good a value as it is now on the PS4 initially, or will they offer up their game streaming service to access some select older games like they were talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Hopefully the gaikai service will work well and they'll put the PS back catalog up there.

Though when I tried onlive it was so blurry it looked awful, no way would I have paid to play a game like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I just pre-ordered a PS4 on Amazon.co.uk earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I just pre-ordered a PS4 on Amazon.co.uk earlier today.

I hope the £599 they have it at is waaaaaaaaaaaay off the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

maximoose wrote: »
    I hope the £599 they have it at is waaaaaaaaaaaay off the mark.

Place holder price after they under valued the WiiU pre orders and got stung big time with the pre order price guarantee.

Can't see the PS4 costing more than the PS3 at launch which was €629 for the 60Gb unless it includes a Vita in the box.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement