Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I expect the announcement to be along the lines of "So yeah, you've all already guessed why we're here. We'd like to announce the new Playstation is coming. So thanks everyone for coming and have a safe trip home"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

tok9 wrote: »
    So I'd be shocked if the average consumer knew. All most people look for is the size of a hard drive, never the speed of it.

I'm going to take one for the thread and have a stab at it.

Mortimer, hold my coat.

Good dog.

(Clears throat)

A hard drive....."To journey solidly in an extremely firm object, most commonly by brick".

I apologise. I found a bag of Chupa Chups in the cupboard and consumed nearly a dozen. I'm not myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

RedXIV wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if it was that high, we're at the stage now where we're getting close to 40 years of games in the world and a full generation of people who are not afraid to get to grips with technology. While I wouldn't necessarily expect all gamers to understand exactly what the anagrams mean and how an SSD drive is faster than your average harddrive, I would expect the vast majority to be aware of the importance of the hard drive.

i think the vast majority only know and care about what GB a HDD is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

MarkY91 wrote: »
    i think the vast majority only know and care about what GB a HDD is

Most people still struggle with the concept of disk space from my time in IT.

Having met sales people, they really don't know how to turn things on, even the younger sales people.

Some people just don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

aindriu80 wrote: »
    They did some tests and there was almost zero performance gain between a 7200 rpm and a 5000rpm Hard disk on the PS3.

These tests would indicate otherwise - http://www.tomshardware.com/news/playstation-ps3-ssd-upgrade-loading,11811.html

A bit of nostalgia from the launch of the PS3. I for one hope to see more ads like this when the Playstation 4 comes around:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkNPcUMffU

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=psd8oVToS8k

Damn the general consumer to hell for not getting and understanding these pieces of theatrical art. That's what a generation of COD games does I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

EnterNow wrote: »

are you sure that is 7200 vs 5200 ? I was talking about HDD only. SSD is a lot quicker.

One thing is the game and the other is the O.S. Pressing the PS button on the controller is a slow affair and I wish they had the O.S on flash memory or something if SSD is too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

aindriu80 wrote: »
    are you sure that is 7200 vs 5200 ? I was talking about HDD only. SSD is a lot quicker.

My bad, I read your post wrong good sir :o

A good article comparing the proposed specs for Orbis and Durango:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-spec-analysis-durango-vs-orbis

I have a question. Visually, the Uncharted and God Of War titles this gen were absolutely spectacular, the best I've ever seen. They pushed Sony's hardware to the limit and seeing as the PS3's tech is over 7 years old, how much better could they actually get on the new system? To me Uncharted 3 looks flawless. What can we expect from Uncharted 4? How can it actually look better?

I ask because I'm genuinely excited about Feb 20th.

• Advertisement

shuffles03 wrote: »
    A good article comparing the proposed specs for Orbis and Durango:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-spec-analysis-durango-vs-orbis

I have a question. Visually, the Uncharted and God Of War titles this gen were absolutely spectacular, the best I've ever seen. They pushed Sony's hardware to the limit and seeing as the PS3's tech is over 7 years old, how much better could they actually get on the new system? To me Uncharted 3 looks flawless. What can we expect from Uncharted 4? How can it actually look better?

I ask because I'm genuinely excited about Feb 20th.

Agreed but the games can be way better. They can play better, behave better and act more intuitive. There are some things on the PC that don't exist on a console.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Another rumour
    PlayStation 4 'dual camera' bundle rumoured

Sony's rumoured PlayStation 4 will come bundled with a next-generation version of the PlayStation Eye camera.

VGLeaks refers to the peripheral as a "Dual Camera" and describes it as an "evolutionised" HD version of the EyeToy.

Using a pair of wide-angle cameras with 720p resolution, the so-called Dual Camera will allegedly feature advanced facial recognition technology and will be able to identify the user when they power up the console.

It will also feature a four-microphone array working at 48khz for improved video chat and be able to track head and hand movements with great accuracy.

http://www.digitalspy.ie/gaming/news/a457593/playstation-4-dual-camera-bundle-rumoured.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Actually like the idea of the EYE coming with the PS4, for the voice commands at least. While I'm not a fan of being forced to do use it, there are times where voice commands are a lot simpler than menus and the like.

There's limited inputs on a controller and they tend to require context sensitive controls which don't always work so adding voice controls in a limited fashion is a good idea.

would this new 4k resolution look better on a 1080p tv than 1080p resolution on the same tv? or will it make no difference?

dont think many people will be buying 4k tv's for many a year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

A 1080p TV can't display 4K... so 4K on a 1080p TV would look pretty bad :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

would this new 4k resolution look better on a 1080p tv than 1080p resolution on the same tv? or will it make no difference?

dont think many people will be buying 4k tv's for many a year..
    COYVB wrote: »
    A 1080p TV can't display 4K... so 4K on a 1080p TV would look pretty bad :P

Like your PS3, if your TV can only handle 720p, it outputs in 720p. The same would happen with 4K.

Otacon wrote: »
    Like your PS3, if your TV can only handle 720p, it outputs in 720p. The same would happen with 4K.

but a quick google search and i saw that 4k tvs cost over 10 thousand euro...who are they expecting will make use of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

but a quick google search and i saw that 4k tvs cost over 10 thousand euro...who are they expecting will make use of that?

Right now they cost big bucks. But in a few years they'll become more affordable.

Sony is probably just planning ahead.

Otacon wrote: »

I know that, but that's not what he asked. He asked what 4K would look like on a 1080p TV. Short answer is it would look like a blank screen

• Advertisement

That's what a big screen HDTV cost at the start of that technology too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Has anyone seen a 4k tv up close?

How impressed were you?

What are we 5 years away from them been common in every house?

Has anyone seen a 4k tv up close?

How impressed were you?

What are we 5 years away from them been common in every house?

Yes (I've also seen an 8K one up close)

Quite, but without the proper source material it's impossible to make a judgement.

Try 7-10 maybe - they'll be positioned as the only sensible choice to replace current gen TVs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

COYVB wrote: »
    That's what a big screen HDTV cost at the start of that technology too

I remember the sony store had a PS3 hooked up to one of those TV's that had the projector behind the screen.

They were about 2 foot wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I remember the sony store had a PS3 hooked up to one of those TV's that had the projector behind the screen.

They were about 2 foot wide.

Got one of those the christmas before the PS3 (after for the US and JP) came out, it's 55" and still going.

so its like when HDTV came in. nobody could afford it until a good few years. id love to see a 4k tv up close and working. is there any in dublin on show?

so its like when HDTV came in. nobody could afford it until a good few years. id love to see a 4k tv up close and working. is there any in dublin on show?

You should see plenty of popping up at bigger electronics stores them towards the end of the summer I'd say, definitely by October

Japan is going ahead with 4K TV (national TV) pretty soon..maybe this or next year. It has plans to go ahead with 8K T.V. I guess the 4K support is future proofing.

• Advertisement

"Next Gen Will Most Likely Not Be Backwards Compatible' - EA

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-13-ea-next-gen-consoles-will-most-likely-not-be-backwards-compatible

To be expected I suppose. There's no way Sony would include the Cell in each PS4. It would cost too much. They took the Emotion Engine out of the PS3 shortly after launch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement