Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Soups123 wrote: »
    I'm not a gamer in any way but my 12 year old is. Going to pre order this in Smyths for Xmas. quick question though what does you it mean by it can plan second hand games or am I reading that wrong?

It means that there will be no restriction on second-hand gaming, like the current system with PS3/360 games.

The reason this is a big deal is Sony's main competitor is going to use a system whereby if you purchase a second-hand game, you may need to pay another fee to play it - or at least pay more to cover the licence fee also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Soups123

Otacon wrote: »
    It means that there will be no restriction on second-hand gaming, like the current system with PS3/360 games.

The reason this is a big deal is Sony's main competitor is going to use a system whereby if you purchase a second-hand game, you may need to pay another fee to play it - or at least pay more to cover the licence fee also.

Thanks that makes sense!

I was going to preorder to have for Xmas and I right in assuming it will be comfortably out in time, I know sometimes the actual release dates can be 6 months or more away?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭klose

Like a few others i will be making the switch to ps4, now subbed to the forum :) it is unbelievable how bad Microsoft messed up here and sony capitalised excellently. Looking forward to it, may be a day one purchase and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Microsoft completely shot themselves in the foot. I've been an Xbox fan since the first release, but they've effectively chased me, and plenty others, away from the Xb1 towards the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Mars Bar wrote: »
    So if you have a PS3, you're gonna have to pay for PSN too?

The PS4 looks amazing!

No. PSN is free for both PS3 and Vita.
    It'll only be required for PS4.

• Advertisement

A lad here mentioned that the PS4 is only really better that PS3 if I have a smart TV?

Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm not a gamer at all but am going to pre order 2 at lunch time for the xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

A lad here mentioned that the PS4 is only really better that PS3 if I have a smart TV?

Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm not a gamer at all but am going to pre order 2 at lunch time for the xmas

NO

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I've never pre-ordered a console before. Until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Lads, there's a good chance that the amount of European ps4s (especially at that price) will be limited stock.

Amazon is the UK price so its like 410 euro and Smyths seem to be doing less game stuff by the day - is it worth buying from them if they won't be doing games in a few years if you've warranty problems?

HMV gone, Sony stores gone, game gone, GameStop probably expensive?

What's the best way to preorder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

I've never pre-ordered a console before. Until now.

Where did you pre-order from? Gamstop had a 20euro deposit on the site this morning but are now looking for 399:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Again, have they actually, specifically said that this is the case or just implied it because they're not mandating it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

aindriu80 wrote: »

The PS4's Game Swapping, Share Button, Menu & Chat In Action

Gimmicky is all I can say about this.

Varik wrote: »
    There's a 1 month (new), 90 days, and 1 year.

The US price for the new 1 month plan is $10, while the current in the US are $6 and $4.

Thanks guys, thats a bit of a pain really.

€399 for machine plus €80 for a controller and 5 years PSN = €850

What kinda PC would you get for that to play BF4? (thats the only game I play)

No problem.

The PS4 is a vastly more powerful machine than the PS3. It is also more powerful than its closest competitor, the Xbox One. It includes a number of features that are a big step up from the PS3, like playing games when you only have some of it downloaded or playing games over the cloud. If you have a TV capable of HD, the PS4 will beat the PS3 with its visuals.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Nothing more annoying when you find someone that plays the same game as you and you want to play them online, but they play it on a different platform. The sony landslide should at least cut out most of that, because everyone will have a PS4.
    There's very little reason to buy an xbox over a playstation now. If you prefer their exclusives, that's the only reason.
    But I can imagine next year the FIFA and COD threads will all have little red [Playstation] signs in front of them.

Explain?

One of the reason I have a PS3 over 360 is because I didn't want to pay monthly charges. No both have monthly charges I am struggling to see why everyone will have a PS4 and not an XBox 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

mozattack wrote: »
    Explain?

One of the reason I have a PS3 over 360 is because I didn't want to pay monthly charges. No both have monthly charges I am struggling to see why everyone will have a PS4 and not an XBox 1?

Did you see the Sony conference?

€399 for machine plus €80 for a controller and 5 years PSN = €850

The controller will cost less than €80 and there will be promotions for PS+ subs that will knock that price down significantly (and they stack up too so you can buy multiples).

Not only that, but you will get a lot of discounts as a PS+ member, as well as free games every month.

The controller will cost less than €80 and there will be promotions for PS+ subs that will knock that price down significantly (and they stack up too so you can buy multiples).

Not only that, but you will get a lot of discounts as a PS+ member, as well as free games every month.

Otacon, thanks, but you'd be surprised how many people use their console for one game, especially those in their 30s with kids etc. I am one of those, have only played the Battlefield series for 4 years now so other games dont interest me. This applies to some for Fifa, COD etc.

In other words, PS+ could give me 100 games a year and I'd ignore em.

No problem.

The PS4 is a vastly more powerful machine than the PS3. It is also more powerful than its closest competitor, the Xbox One. It includes a number of features that are a big step up from the PS3, like playing games when you only have some of it downloaded or playing games over the cloud. If you have a TV capable of HD, the PS4 will beat the PS3 with its visuals.

Thanks Otacon all my questions answered, appreciate your help here.

off to order 2 in Smyths.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

FYI the cost of pre-ordering the PS4 on amazon.co.uk is actually £357.72 which works out at about €418 with todays exchange rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Otacon, thanks, but you'd be surprised how many people use their console for one game, especially those in their 30s with kids etc. I am one of those, have only played the Battlefield series for 4 years now so other games dont interest me. This applies to some for Fifa, COD etc.

Just keep your PS3 then. BF4 will be released on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

From what I can remember there is some free games when you (pre?) order a PS4 namely drive club.

Does anyone know if you have to pre order the PS4 or can you just purchase the PS4 the day it becomes available on amazon or local shop ? I can't remember the exact details. I would rather not pre order this early and just order maybe a day or week before it goes on sale.

From what I can remember there is some free games when you (pre?) order a PS4 namely drive club.

Does anyone know if you have to pre order the PS4 or can you just purchase the PS4 the day it becomes available on amazon or local shop ? I can't remember the exact details. I would rather not pre order this early and just order maybe a day or week before it goes on sale.

Its not for pre-ordering. Its for getting PS+ which is required to play multiplayer games on PS4.
    Well worth the value imo, I'd get PS+ even if it wasn't required to play MP.

Fair enough. A PC may be more worthwhile for you then. If I were you though, I would wait to see if the reviews of the PCs being made with AMD's new CPU/GPU chips are good. They are similar to the ones in the Xbone and PS4 and may work out to be the best value for you.

Stolen from neogaf:
    XB1: 34.3 x 26.3 x 8

PS4: 30.5 x 27.5 x 5.3
    For reference:

PS3 Slim: 29 x 29 x 6.5
    XBONE 7,200 cm cube
    PS4 4,400 cm cube

XBONE in total volume is ~63% larger than PS4.

Its not for pre-ordering. Its for getting PS+ which is required to play multiplayer games on PS4.
    Well worth the value imo, I'd get PS+ even if it wasn't required to play MP.

I already have a PS3 and PS+. I hope I don't have to do something else in order to get the new games. I will be getting a PS4 of course.

I already have a PS3 and PS+. I hope I don't have to do something else in order to get the new games. I will be getting a PS4 of course.

Nothing. Like the Vita, your PS+ membership crosses over with no additional cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

+1 on recommendations on where to pre-order? I would certainly like to avoid queuing.

+1 on recommendations on where to pre-order? I would certainly like to avoid queuing.

The only place I could recommend to pre order and get the correct price is amazon.co.uk. You could always go to XtraVision but they were in examinership recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

so its launching at 399 dollars and 399 euro. HOW? xe.com says that 399 dollars = 301 euro..where is this extra 98 euro coming from? does this mean if i order from amazon for 399 dollars ill actually be paying 301 euro instead of 399 in the shops?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement