Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

“Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.”

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Yes.
    And most places will allow you to change your order to a bundle, but check with the store beforehand.

Someone should update the OP with all this information.

You put any good, well informed, accurate information (preferably backed up with links) into a post and I will edit OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

F1ngers wrote: »
    You put any good, well informed, accurate information (preferably backed up with links) into a post and I will edit OP.

Perhaps just link to this:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1g4hh1/rps4_system_faq_updated_61113/

Probably too much work to format it for boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Im sorry but people posting things like

"Its a great day to be a PS gamer"

"RIP Xbox One"

"Sony has won the console war"

sound nothing more than desperate and delusional fanboys.

Based on what exactly??? .... the xbox being 100euro more expensive?

The xbox comes pre-packed with Kinect, the PS4 doesnt come with a pre-packed eye-toy, if it did im sure prices would be on par.

I'm not a huge "motion camera" fan tbh but it seems like it will be a neccessity for the next gen as opposed to a just gimmick so PS4 gamers will have to shell out for one sooner or later (i'd bet the majority will)

the PS4 doesnt need to be validated once every 24hrs with an internet connection? Come on, its 2013 for gods sake. Ive had my consoles permanently hooked up to my NTL router (100mbs) for the past few years, so as much as people are making a big deal about it now, in reality (presuming youre not living under a rock somewhere with the worlds worst internet connection) its a bit of a non-issue (for me anyway)

Cant lend games, or buy used on the Xbox one? ... Again, any game ive wanted, ive simply bought from a shop, new! ... no big deal really.
    If youre that much of a cheap skate that you cant afford a new copy of a game, you can still buy second hand xbone games as long as they are deleted off the previous owners Live account.

Ive never had to Borrow a game either :rolleyes:

Also, ps4 has now also got paid subscription, so they are even on that front.

Ultimately, Im paying 100 more (hardly breaking the bank) for an xbox, which will give me an added motion camera (meh), better online services, and what looks like a much better control pad.

All the other "always on" , "cant lend games" are moot issues to me.

I have both a PS4 (as of last month) and an Xbox One (as of today) on pre-order .. but i reckon ill stick with the Xbox.

Im not saying it will be superior to PS4, at the end of the day, its down to personal preference ... but I cant stand fanboys cries of victory and ecstasy and already proclaiming victory of one console over another based on what to me are irrelevant, trivial issues

ION08 wrote: »
    Im not saying it will be superior to PS4, at the end of the day, its down to personal preference ... but I cant stand fanboys cries of victory and ecstasy and already proclaiming victory of one console over another based on what to me are irrelevant, trivial issues

I'm not bothered to reply to each of those points. But you're making too many excuses and when you have to do that, you should know that its a bad thing.
    Instead of making excuses, ask yourself how does it benefit you. None of it does, it only benefits MS and publishers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

You've never once borrowed a game from someone?

I'm playing a borrowed copy of bioshock infinite now, its nice not to have to drop €50 on every single game I want to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The xbox comes pre-packed with Kinect,

You say it like it's a good thing.
    Why should consumers be forced to use this camera equipment when it has sweet FA to do with controlling your actions in a good computer game? How exactly is it a necessity?

Why dont MS offer consumers a choice and provide a Kinect bundle & a barebones XBone bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Im sorry but people posting things like

"Its a great day to be a PS gamer"

"RIP Xbox One"

"Sony has won the console war"

sound nothing more than desperate and delusional fanboys.

Based on what exactly??? .... the xbox being 100euro more expensive?

The xbox comes pre-packed with Kinect, the PS4 doesnt come with a pre-packed eye-toy, if it did im sure prices would be on par.

I'm not a huge "motion camera" fan tbh but it seems like it will be a neccessity for the next gen as opposed to a just gimmick so PS4 gamers will have to shell out for one sooner or later (i'd bet the majority will)

the PS4 doesnt need to be validated once every 24hrs with an internet connection? Come on, its 2013 for gods sake. Ive had my consoles permanently hooked up to my NTL router (100mbs) for the past few years, so as much as people are making a big deal about it now, in reality (presuming youre not living under a rock somewhere with the worlds worst internet connection) its a bit of a non-issue (for me anyway)

Cant lend games, or buy used on the Xbox one? ... Again, any game ive wanted, ive simply bought from a shop, new! ... no big deal really.
    If youre that much of a cheap skate that you cant afford a new copy of a game, you can still buy second hand xbone games as long as they are deleted off the previous owners Live account.

Ive never had to Borrow a game either :rolleyes:

Also, ps4 has now also got paid subscription, so they are even on that front.

Ultimately, Im paying 100 more (hardly breaking the bank) for an xbox, which will give me an added motion camera (meh), better online services, and what looks like a much better control pad.

All the other "always on" , "cant lend games" are moot issues to me.

I have both a PS4 (as of last month) and an Xbox One (as of today) on pre-order .. but i reckon ill stick with the Xbox.

Lol get back to the xbox thread fanboy, honestly I mean go now, your a bigger fanboy for defending the xbox in a PS4 thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I wouldn't say I'm a fanboy (PC maybe), had a PS1 and PS2, moved to the 360 for this one due to the high price of the PS3 and games I wanted on 360, but there's no way I'd buy an Xbox One due to the needing to be online. Sony are winning atm, they'll need to deliver on the games front before I buy one, but the lack of jumping through hoops bull**** that they have is a big deal.

I'm not bothered to reply to each of those points. But you're making too many excuses and when you have to do that, you should know that its a bad thing.
    Instead of making excuses, ask yourself how does it benefit you. None of it does, it only benefits MS and publishers.

It doesnt benefit me, but it doesn't inconvenience me either. Its a non issue to me, Thats my point.

Like I said im getting both,

Ive had PS1, PS2, Xbox360 so I have no loyalties really, I just go with whichever machine takes my preference really for playing the games I want online.

So for me, the online experience, controller ergonomics and games are what I base my choice on, not some that I cant play offline or lend out games

Its just annoying hearing arrogant screams of victory from PS4 Fanboys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 foody6545

Everyone cant afford to fork out €50 for a new game or an internet connection chief !

Its just annoying hearing arrogant screams of victory from PS4 Fanboys.

Its not just from PS4 fans. Xbox forums and Xbox subreddit is all talking about jumping ship to PS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I liked the bit where he calls other people fanboys and then follows up with all that :pac:

Seriously, im not a fanboy, im getting both ... I may well end up prefering the PS4 , in which case ill then sell the Xbone.

But if I PREFER the PS4 , its definitely not gonna be because internet , validation reason, and restriction of used games/lending.

Ill just prefer it because , I might like the online service better, or who knows, I might prefer the PS4's controller over the Xbox's.

Proclaiming victory based on issues that SHOULDNT be a big deal and screaming about it on the internet motnhs before youve even gotten to try the consoles is what im finding stupid.

Sorry if ive hit a nerve but im being genuine here in my opinion.

Again, I may well end up keeping the ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've no loyalty with any company. I own a PS3 and an Xbox and feel fortunate enough to do so.

I enjoyed Microsoft's conference but Sony will have my money for a launch day PS4. Price is pretty much the main factor here.

Sony really did shít all over Microsoft in their wrap up and are receiving huge plaudits and rightly so. They did exactly what Microsoft failed to do and that's clear up the confusion about 2nd hand games. I do believe that MS will turn around and do what Sony are doing but it's such a missed opportunity on their part given they went first and had everybody's full attention.

Seriously, im not a fanboy, im getting both ... I may well end up prefering the PS4 , in which case ill then sell the Xbone.

But if I PREFER the PS4 , its definitely not gonna be because internet , validation reason, and restriction of used games/lending.

Ill just prefer it because , I might like the online service better, or who knows, I might prefer the PS4's controller over the Xbox's.

Proclaiming victory based on issues that SHOULDNT be a big deal and screaming about it on the internet motnhs before youve even gotten to try the consoles is what im finding stupid.

You haven't hit a nerve with anyone here, we're all in a good position right now. But seems people have definitely hit a nerve with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Just preordered in xtravision(taken over today so hopefully will be safe) €50 guatentees me a console on release and i can choose a bundle closer to release! happy days

You haven't hit a nerve with anyone here, we're all in a good position right now. But seems people have definitely hit a nerve with you.

Yeah, they have.

the guy who posted "RIP Xbox one" and other people posting other such nonsensical claims of victory of one console over another, before even getting to try both.

It is a big deal to people though. If my router is out of commission due to a fault with my ISP for more than 24 hours, it means I can't play my games offline. It's such a flawed system.

I'm not huge into multiplayer and being told I can't play a single player campaign offline because I haven't logged on to the internet for a certain period of time, is absurd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I've no loyalty to either. I've got both but only use Xbox for the exclusives. If Microsoft blew Sony out of the water I'd go with them.

I can understand anybody's happiness at how bad Microsoft came out of this because of their policies. Whether they directly affect you or not, it's pretty shìtty practice in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

That_Guy wrote: »
    It is a big deal to people though. If my router is out of commission due to a fault with my ISP for more than 24 hours, it means I can't play my games offline. It's such a flawed system.

I'm not huge into multiplayer and being told I can't play a single player campaign offline because I haven't logged on to the internet for a certain period of time, is absurd.
    Also having the kinect camera always on to me is just over the top, you cannot cover it or unplug it so god only knows who could be watching...... defo not for me!

That_Guy wrote: »

Yeah thats a fair enough point, I had my UPC internet go for a while .. but was more pissed off that I couldnt watch telly than that I wasnt able to play any games :P

I suppose what Im trying to say is, that people buy different consoles for different reasons.

I buy them to play a few good games online (this year ive been playing COD , need for speed and forza) ... I just go straight into online with any game I get, I never do the campaigns as I find them boring.

So I would priortise the online experience, when choosing a system ... and obviosuly controller ergonomics as thats what ill be holding!

Again, different people have different priorities; offline/online, mutliplayer/single player ..... but proclaiming victory and writing-off another console entirely months before release of EITHER system is just Daft IMO

That was my main point :)

cadete wrote: »
    Also having the kinect camera always on to me is just over the top, you cannot cover it or unplug it so god only knows who could be watching...... defo not for me!

I don't like that idea at all. I have zero interest in motion control but the fact that Kinect seems to always has to be on is slightly worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

I dont give a rats who plays what, or who sells more, im just dying to murder a few heads on the ps4!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It doesnt benefit me, but it doesn't inconvenience me either. Its a non issue to me, Thats my point.

It clearly is an inconvenience to other people though. It is to me, I couldn't play it for most of the summer if I wanted to, as I'm stuck using mobile internet and a 500mb a day cap. Whilst most days it might just be a check, if it needs to download an update either to games or to the system itself, I'm fcuked. Also, if I change places due to work or anything, probably be without internet for a while and not being able to play a console and games you've bought would be sh1t. Not a big deal for you, but a big deal for a lot of people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

mdwexford wrote: »
    This is not true.

I bought a Crucial S4 SSD from Amazon and got it delivered over here last year.

Unless they have changed their policies since then.

It states on their website that they only ship blank media to UK addresses. Amazon wouldn't ship a hard drive to me a couple of months ago because I wasn't in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

foody6545 wrote: »
    Everyone cant afford to fork out €50 for a new game or an internet connection chief !

[ ] Worth waiting four years for

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

cadete wrote: »

The kinect does not have to be always on, you can turn it on and off independently of the console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

stevenmu wrote: »
    The kinect does not have to be always on, you can turn it on and off independently of the console.

if it doesn't have to be on, why must it be plugged into the console?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement