Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

Hopefully along with ps4 info they will announce firmware updates to ps3 allowing ps3 and ps4 to use the vita as a fancy controller :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

phill106 wrote: »
    Hopefully along with ps4 info they will announce firmware updates to ps3 allowing ps3 and ps4 to use the vita as a fancy controller :)

Would it improve gameplay ? I don't think it would. Nice feature though !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Would it improve gameplay ? I don't think it would. Nice feature though !

wouldnt know till it happened would we!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

shuffles03 wrote: »
    To be expected I suppose. There's no way Sony would include the Cell in each PS4. It would cost too much. They took the Emotion Engine out of the PS3 shortly after launch.

While I do not think it will be available at launch, they could possibly use Gaikai tech to allow you to play PS2 and PS3 games. You would probably need to re-purchase them or they could do a subscription service that would allow you unlimited access to that library - maybe an additional PS+ feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Otacon wrote: »
    While I do not think it will be available at launch, they could possibly using Gaikai tech to allow you to play PS2 and PS3 games. You would probably need to re-purchase them or they could do a subscription service that would allow you unlimited access to that library - maybe an additional PS+ feature.

I think if they were to allow you to play PS3 games by alternate methods, they should at least give you free access to any games purchased via PSN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

While I do not think it will be available at launch, they could possibly using Gaikai tech to allow you to play PS2 and PS3 games. You would probably need to re-purchase them or they could do a subscription service that would allow you unlimited access to that library - maybe an additional PS+ feature.

This would be awesome but would it kill the sale of any future PS3s? Sony like their 10 year life cycles so I'm not sure if they'd do that. It would be brilliant though.

This would be awesome but would it kill the sale of any future PS3s? Sony like their 10 year life cycles so I'm not sure if they'd do that. It would be brilliant though.

That's why I don't think it will be available for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'd guess we'll see a repeat of what we've seen with the PS3 with software BC for PS1, and maybe PS2 out of the box and then PS3 games start to get converted over a few years down the line.

phill106 wrote: »
    wouldnt know till it happened would we!

The games on the PS3 don't allow PC style movement. In essence using a Vita on a PS3 would be a very expensive controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

While I do not think it will be available at launch, they could possibly use Gaikai tech to allow you to play PS2 and PS3 games.

That's precisely what they will be doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The games on the PS3 don't allow PC style movement. In essence using a Vita on a PS3 would be a very expensive controller.

PC style what?

The PS3 can use a mouse and keyboards and there's a good few games that support it.

The touch controlls and second screen could be used to everything that the wii U screen could do and for multi-platform it's likely mean that a Dev would add it to the PS4 version as well.

Article
    Halo Developer’s Next Game Reveal Coincides With Sony’s PS4 Event
    Bungie, the Halo creator and developer that’s now a freelance gun in the employ of mega-publisher Activision, is teasing a new product. It’ll be the Destiny game that’s been leaked endlessly over recent months. Only… the teaser coincides with Sony’s supposed PS4 launch date of February 20th.

Could this mean Destiny is a PS4 launch title or exclusive? I doubt it but interesting nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Exclusive I doubt as I think the reason they left microsoft is so they could build on more platforms but it wouldn't surprise me if it was shown at the ps4 event too. Maybe even just to annoy microsoft :p

tok9 wrote: »
    Exclusive I doubt as I think the reason they left microsoft is so they could build on more platforms but it wouldn't surprise me if it was shown at the ps4 event too. Maybe even just to annoy microsoft :p

If Sony fling enough money at them, I think Activision would be partial to maybe a timed exclusivity deal, but yeah, I agree, full exclusivity is highly doubtful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Article

Could this mean Destiny is a PS4 launch title or exclusive? I doubt it but interesting nonetheless.

They are revealing Destiny this Sunday so erm it doesn't coincide but it will be on the PS4 for sure.

Varik wrote: »
    PC style what?

The PS3 can use a mouse and keyboards and there's a good few games that support it.

The touch controlls and second screen could be used to everything that the wii U screen could do and for multi-platform it's likely mean that a Dev would add it to the PS4 version as well.

Well I can only go whats on the market today. Maybe they will change things for the remainder of the PS3 lifecycle. It still makes the Vita an expensive version of the WII U controller.

At the moment the controls on the actual PS3 game are limited. If you want the character to perform a certain kind of movement it just doesn't work out. If the Vita solves this then excellent.

GTR63 wrote: »
    They are revealing Destiny this Sunday so erm it doesn't coincide but it will be on the PS4 for sure.

Sorry, don't have access to the Bungie link or the CVG link [from the article] at work so I could not corroborate the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

itd be handy if on the ps4 when doing a firmware update or a game/app update, they actually tell you WTF they updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Seriously this is great news no matter what it comes out on.

I've been looking forward to it for too long and knowing that it is still being developed is great to hear.

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    Seriously this is great news no matter what it comes out on.

I've been looking forward to it for too long and knowing that it is still being developed is great to hear.

Indeed it is great news. Although I wonder if it could be a late PS3 release just like Shadow Of the Colossus was on the PS2

More PS4 rumours

They reckon there won't be a dedicated Share button just the small touch pad. The L2 and R2 are remodelled.

Sounds logical enough. The L2 and R2 are too awkward in games. Pity they wouldn't do something with the analogy sticks, they are kinda showing their age.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

More PS4 rumours

They reckon there won't be a dedicated Share button just the small touch pad. The L2 and R2 are remodelled.

Sounds logical enough. The L2 and R2 are too awkward in games. Pity they wouldn't do something with the analogy sticks, they are kinda showing their age.

The L2 and R2 buttons should go back the way they were and turn them into convex instead of the dumb concave trigger shape.

The analogue sticks need to be staggered like every other controller out there from the Dreamcast onwards has them like this.

The dualshock controller overall needs to upscale in size a bit as it is too tiny imo. Even when I was 12 with the first dualshock on the PS1 I got thumb cramps after an hour or so. The only controller that does that to me or ever has.

The L2 and R2 buttons should go back the way they were and turn them into convex instead of the dumb concave trigger shape.

The analogue sticks need to be staggered like every other controller out there from the Dreamcast onwards has them like this.

The dualshock controller overall needs to upscale in size a bit as it is too tiny imo. Even when I was 12 with the first dualshock on the PS1 I got thumb cramps after an hour or so. The only controller that does that to me or ever has.

Do you mean something like this ?

controller2.jpg

The L2R2 buttons look instant compared to the current triggers. Tapping them would prove a lot more rewarding than trying to get a trigger in a middle of a shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Something like that would be a massive improvement, maybe even with triggers like the Gioteck clip on ones. I can't live without them.

Something close to the 360 pad (minus the D pad) without being sued.

What about a digital controller ? I guess it would cost a lot more but sometimes it feels like there is two rubber bands in the dualshock making it all work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The L2R2 buttons look instant compared to the current triggers. Tapping them would prove a lot more rewarding than trying to get a trigger in a middle of a shooter.

They have triggers so that you can control the input more so than a digital input which is on or off.

Varik wrote: »
    They have triggers so that you can control the input more so than a digital input which is on or off.

Personally I would rather have function like buttons which carry out a function and wait for an action to carry it out. They don't do it for me themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Personally I would rather have function like buttons which carry out a function and wait for an action to carry it out. They don't do it for me themselves.

Take driving games or even sandbox games that you drive in. Without them you're talking full or no throttle. The sticks aren't really used for both though I think you could in GT5.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement