Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They would probably be €100 more if they were to come with decent sized SSDs as standard.

Edit: Ninja'd by Captian Chaos, €300? really? I paid €140 for a 250gb SSD, 500gb ones around €280 retail, dunno about wholesale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

No, the touch pad is just that. But the bottom edge of it functions as a click button while the top edge is rigid. I think it would be great in RPG menues and weapon selections in FPS games.

but how are you to know what youre choosing if nothing is on the touchpad? i was hoping they would show the touchpad in use during E3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

MarkY91 wrote: »
    but how are you to know what youre choosing if nothing is on the touchpad? i was hoping they would show the touchpad in use during E3

Similar to a trackpad on a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

i was hoping they would show the touchpad in use during E3

There are indie games on the show floor of E3 using it now. There are Live feeds showing it in action.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-playstation-4-dualshock-4-controller-hands-on

so moving your hand around the touchpad will like have a cursor on the screen? i get it now. seems cool. i wonder what games will do to take advantage of it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

so moving your hand around the touchpad will like have a cursor on the screen? i get it now. seems cool. i wonder what games will do to take advantage of it

It will make the browser usable on the thing at least. I don't see many games making too much use of it, it would be awkward as hell to use in game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

MadYaker wrote: »
    They would probably be €100 more if they were to come with decent sized SSDs as standard.

Edit: Ninja'd by Captian Chaos, €300? really? I paid €140 for a 250gb SSD, 500gb ones around €280 retail, dunno about wholesale.

Thought they were more, haven't looked at SSD prices in a few months. Clearly dropped a good bit. Last time I was looking at buying one they were averaging €1 per Gb. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

It'd be good for games like Heavy Rain. The fighting in that game would be awesome with only touchpad movements.

It will make the browser usable on the thing at least. I don't see many games making too much use of it, it would be awkward as hell to use in game.

i bet they will make use of it outside of the browser though. maybe gimmick use.

really liking everything about PS4 right now. i expected online fees so that isnt bothering me much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Speaking of the browser is there any word on whether there will be a decent one this time around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The full version of The Dark Sorcerer tech demo is up on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqeuHGESZBA

Quantic Dream say everything is rendered in real time on the PS4.

Check out the direct feed screenshots. :eek:

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0002.jpg
    http://images.gamersyde.com/image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0012.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Speaking of the browser is there any word on whether there will be a decent one this time around?

They'd want to. The PS3 having a crap browser was kinda understandable and was more of a tickbox exercise. Given it has a standard X86 processor, bucket loads of RAM and that there are good open source rendering engines already out there minimising the workload there really should be a decent browser for it. Same with the XBoner or whatever its called.

The full version of The Dark Sorcerer tech demo is up on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqeuHGESZBA

Quantic Dream say everything is rendered in real time on the PS4.

Check out the direct feed screenshots. :eek:

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0002.jpg
    http://images.gamersyde.com/image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0012.jpg

I'm gonna say it now. Star Wars would have been way better with black Yoda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

A tad risky maybe?

What way to amazon deliver pre-ordered items, say would you receive the console on the day of release?

Sign up for a months free trial of Amazon prime. This means you can get free one-day-delivery, have it delivered to parcelmotel.com via northern Ireland (you'll pay a few quid less)

They say you'll get it release day but have doubts!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭klose

Just seen theres a hd remake of abes odysee on it and it looks remade down to the finest details.

God is good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

5E5mMB.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Beefy78 wrote: »

And something with Flash support!

There is also a "click" like the touchpad also, you can press the trackpad on the PS4 just like a laptop, not sure if there is a one click or a left/right button feature like a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I wonder will they try to use the trackpad as a keyboard also. If they use the same technique behind something like Swype, you could make shapes on your pad that would spell out words, then maybe use L1 to switch between multiple predictions. It might take a few tries to get used to it but I already use a similar system on my Android phone and it is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

<Giant image>
    Probably worth pointing out that Dark Sorcerer isn't a game, Deep Down wasn't actually confirmed as an exclusive and Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Mad Max are confirmed as not being exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Did anyone notice the amount of dropped frames and lag there was in the PS4 game demos ? I noticed Assassins Creed Black Flag stalled a few times on Sony and there were a few other games that did the same.

Is the PS4 powerful enough to run games smoothly ? The PS3 has lots of lag all over the place (like loading up XMB, reading a message, loading a game or in game lag) and was wondering if the PS4 will a seamless experience or will you get something thats hit and miss ?

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the amount of dropped frames and lag there was in the PS4 game demos ? I noticed Assassins Creed Black Flag stalled a few times on Sony and there were a few other games that did the same.

Is the PS4 powerful enough to run games smoothly ? The PS3 has lots of lag all over the place (like loading up XMB, reading a message, loading a game or in game lag) and was wondering if the PS4 will a seamless experience or will you get something thats hit and miss ?
    Well for starters, most of those games would have been running on PCs, not devkits. On top of that, they're also a good few months away from release so sketchy performance is to be expected at this stage. As someone said earlier, I'd take a jerky real time presentation over a fancy CGI sequence any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

gizmo wrote: »
    Well for starters, most of those games would have been running on PCs, not devkits. On top of that, they're also a good few months away from release so sketchy performance is to be expected at this stage. As someone said earlier, I'd take a jerky real time presentation over a fancy CGI sequence any day of the week.

I remember seeing the guy on a dualshock 4 and throwing his hands up at the lag/broken frames/stalls. It was the PS4. Its a big part of the gaming experience but easily brushed over in the presentations.

I remember seeing the guy on a dualshock 4 and throwing his hands up at the lag/broken frames/stalls. It was the PS4. Its a big part of the gaming experience but easily brushed over in the presentations.
    Or it was a PS4 controller plugged into a PC.

Again though, these games are months away from release, it's absolutely zero surprise that such issues are present at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A PS4 console doesn't exist yet. All games at E3 are running on debug PC's with hardware equivalent to what will be in a PS4. When you're running unfinished code on devkits live you run the risk of something going wrong, thats why most live demos are faked recordings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I'm an Xbox 360 Person.. but after seen E3, i will be going down the road of PS4,, I can't buy Used Games for the Xbox nor can i share my games to my friends that the hole point. you share you games and if you or they like the game you go away and buy it.

and this bull with the Xbox needs to be online once every 24 hours, what happens if i go to a holiday home with no WiFi for a week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,856 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sorry if posted already but did anyone find all 35 easter egss in the Greatness Awaits ad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

He was hardly going to sit down with a keyboard and mouse to play it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I doubt the PS4 firmware is anything close to ready yet...even after launch you can expect multiple updates in the first few months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement