Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

"Xbox executive Don Mattrick told Spike TV, "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360.
    "If you have zero access to the internet, that is an offline device.""

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/no-internet-for-xbox-one-microsoft-says-stop-whining-and-play-your-360-1158405

• Registered Users Posts: 29,856 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Woofstuff wrote: »
    "Xbox executive Don Mattrick told Spike TV, "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360.
    "If you have zero access to the internet, that is an offline device.""

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/no-internet-for-xbox-one-microsoft-says-stop-whining-and-play-your-360-1158405

Yupp. I was without an Internet connection for the last 4 months, just got sorted last week so to hear him say that is a right kick in the balls. Never had any intention of getting an xbox but if Sony went bankrupt tomorrow and MS ran the nex gen market, I would still be sticking with this gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

A PS4 console doesn't exist yet. All games at E3 are running on debug PC's with hardware equivalent to what will be in a PS4. When you're running unfinished code on devkits live you run the risk of something going wrong, thats why most live demos are faked recordings.

They have the dev kits out quite a while now and they have been working on the PS4 for several years so its not really a last minute thing.
    He was hardly going to sit down with a keyboard and mouse to play it :rolleyes:

Well they are hardly going to use a mouse and keyboard on a PS4 machine (which was noted as a PS4 machine) :rolleyes:
    I doubt the PS4 firmware is anything close to ready yet...even after launch you can expect multiple updates in the first few months.

They have the operating system finished. They did demo it and it ran fine. The only thing that comes up unknown is the amount of memory the OS will be using (the finalised value) and how exactly the video capture will work (they mentioned writing to RAM instead of going to the HD).

Maybe its early days and they just have some bugs to iron out but I hope its all smoothed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

aindriu80 wrote: »
    They have the dev kits out quite a while now and they have been working on the PS4 for several years so its not really a last minute thing.

Well they are hardly going to use a mouse and keyboard on a PS4 machine (which was noted as a PS4 machine) :rolleyes:

They have the operating system finished. They did demo it and it ran fine. The only thing that comes up unknown is the amount of memory the OS will be using (the finalised value) and how exactly the video capture will work (they mentioned writing to RAM instead of going to the HD).

Maybe its early days and they just have some bugs to iron out but I hope its all smoothed out.

I don't think you understand how all this works.

I don't think you understand how all this works.

I read a lot on the PS4 and do have a degree in Computer Science so I do think I understand where things are at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Yupp. I was without an Internet connection for the last 4 months, just got sorted last week so to hear him say that is a right kick in the balls. Never had any intention of getting an xbox but if Sony went bankrupt tomorrow and MS ran the nex gen market, I would still be sticking with this gen.

He sounds like a right auld knob head tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

gizmo wrote: »
    Probably worth pointing out that Dark Sorcerer isn't a game, Deep Down wasn't actually confirmed as an exclusive and Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Mad Max are confirmed as not being exclusives.

Well we can't all be perfect, not that it bothers me since I didn't make it. Hopefully the creator or some other kind soul makes an updated and thoroughly correct version.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Well we can't all be perfect, not that it bothers me since I didn't make it. Hopefully the creator or some other kind soul makes an updated and thoroughly correct version.
    Oh aye, it was probably put together before some of the above was announced. As I said, just worth noting since there seems to be quite a few people considering placing a preorder on the console so having a better idea of the launch line up would probably help that decision somewhat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

While they may have dev kits, up until a few months ago, they only had 4GB of RAM - illustrating that nothing has been finalised yet. Even so, there is still no reason the demo could not have been running on target hardware (a PC with similar specs to the PS4).

Where was it noted that it was a PS4? They said that many of their demos were running in-engine, not necessarily on the console hardware though.

They may have a working version of the OS but that is no guarantee that it is finished.

As the architecture is more PC-like, there should be less of a learning curve with the hardware this generation. This should lead to better quality games in a shorter period of time. As mentioned already, there is still months to go before the launch of these games so there is plenty of time for polishing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I wonder how large the firmware file is.....1GB?, redownload 1GB for every firmware update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I wonder how large the firmware file is.....1GB?, redownload 1GB for every firmware update?

They have already done away with re-downloading the entire firmware during this generation so no, you won't have to next generation either.

Otacon wrote: »
    While they may have dev kits, up until a few months ago, they only had 4GB of RAM - illustrating that nothing has been finalised yet. Even so, there is still no reason the demo could not have been running on target hardware (a PC with similar specs to the PS4).

Dev kits of 4GB have been around for quite a while so thats what the developers were aiming for (killzone etc). They wrote quite a bit about how much memory they were using and what the OS was going to take up, new techniques they used etc. With 8GB DDR5 coming along I would have expected things to nip along without any problems. Maybe its still early days where bugs/frames/lag have to be ironed out but there are some parts of the demo's that I hmm'd at.
    Where was it noted that it was a PS4? They said that many of their demos were running in-engine, not necessarily on the console hardware though.

I think at the Sony expo. Of course I'm not expecting a PS4 box but did expect the components reflecting a PS4 when they referred to their machine running it.
    They may have a working version of the OS but that is no guarantee that it is finished.

In working order is good enough.
    As the architecture is more PC-like, there should be less of a learning curve with the hardware this generation. This should lead to better quality games in a shorter period of time. As mentioned already, there is still months to go before the launch of these games so there is plenty of time for polishing.

They have been looking at the X86 architecture for several years and decided to move over to it as it offers better capability which can be well suited to gaming with some tweaks. X86 is easy to learn, logical and easy to port. When you see problems on a PC you don't think there are errors you think lack of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Anyone else hoping for a Vita/PS4 bundle at launch? I have the intention of buying a Vita mainly due to Vita games being added to PS+

The talk of integrating PS4 with Vita is also intriguing and may make sense for Sony to bundle them together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

They'll be delta updates I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

So do you think I should preorder now to guarantee a launch day purchase? Where's best? Offline or on?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,856 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, where are people preordering. I'm sure I read on some thread that someone pre-ordered it in smyths and was told smyths were allowed 250 pre-orders and 180 already used.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Yeah, where are people preordering. I'm sure I read on some thread that someone pre-ordered it in smyths and was told smyths were allowed 250 pre-orders and 180 already used.

I'll probably pre-order in Gamestop. Asked about bundles and they've said that pre-orders will include a bundle when they're announced.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Did they give any release date yet no?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Did they give any release date yet no?

Holiday 2013 for the US was all Sony officially said. But there are large banners in the UK advertising the PS4 as coming in 2013 so should be here for Christmas all going to plan.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Holiday 2013 for the US was all Sony officially said. But there are large banners in the UK advertising the PS4 as coming in 2013 so should be here for Christmas all going to plan.

A Sony exec has confirmed it will be out before Christmas in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

They said it'll be out in Europe and US in 2013, not just the UK, so expect Irish release before the end of the year too.

Hopefully now it will be november.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

SSDs are more expensive. A 500Gb SSD is about €300 whole sale price alone. PS4 might not even take full advantage of the speeds they offer either.

You don't need 500gb of storage (unless that is your main computer)

Also, I'm glad that the playstation doesn't come with the cable box.

Just imagine if it did, and for example either the games part of it went faulty or the cable receiver went faulty, I would be without either until I got the xbox one repaired or replaced, a bit of a silly idea by Microsoft

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

November 5th, same day as Call Of Duty: Ghosts....makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

nucker wrote: »
    You dont need 500gb of storage (unless that is your main computer)

Also, I'm glad that the playstation doesn't come with the cable box.

Just imagine if it did, and for example either the games part of it went faulty or the cable receiver went faulty, I would be without either until I got the xbox one repaired or replaced, a bit of a silly idea by Microsoft

If it comes as a basic size I wouldn't be surprised that the games take more space then the ones on PS3. 30gb+ wouldn't be a surprise, add to that older games via gakai plus some other stuff and 500gb makes sense. Its always better to have more space then having to install new hdd later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

They should really have it out before COD, the amount of people who have Playstations solely for COD is ridiculous. Anyway what happens when a game is both on PS3 and PS4, can they play eachother in multiplayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

Just preordered mine in Gamestop. €20 deposit if you do it in-store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

I was in smiths (city center) earlier and the lad in there was saying that since the launch there have been loads of people pre-ordering. I was asking him if he knew how many there were on the list and he said that he didn't. He was instructed to keep taking preorders until told otherwise.

preorder price was €20

nucker wrote: »
    You don't need 500gb of storage (unless that is your main computer)

I have a 1TB HDD in my PS3 and its half full with PS1,PS2,PS3,PSP and PS Vita games plus games installs and loads of DLC. There is no movies or music there and I have 400Gb of gaming material. 500gb is not enough for next gen. PSN+ is the "problem":D

• Advertisement

Aspiring wrote: »
    They should really have it out before COD, the amount of people who have Playstations solely for COD is ridiculous. Anyway what happens when a game is both on PS3 and PS4, can they play eachother in multiplayer?

No, no cross gen multiplayer for any game in development right now. Same with Xbox.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement