Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

In the Gamestop I was in today the pre orders were 10:1 granted E3 is not even 24hrs over yet. There is Gamescom in Germany in two months time and more will be known then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

The amazon facebook page has a poll and PS4 is winning with over 18:1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm definitely gonna move my pre order to HMV once they're back. Bound to get a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

DayZ set to arrive on PS4, but could skip Xbox One

Dean Hall has suggested that his standalone version of Arma 2 mod DayZ, intended for PC and next gen consoles, might not be released on Xbox One due to publishing and patching restrictions.

Microsoft does not allow indies to self publish and charges for patches, while on PS4, issuing a patch is free, and indies can publish titles themselves, says Hall.

“We’re happy to see DayZ on any console but there is a… I guess one problem,” Hall told us. “The console needs to not charge for us to do updates and it needs to be indie title friendly.”

When asked whether Microsoft and Sony are still charging for patches, Hall replied: “As far as I’m aware, Microsoft is, Sony’s not. And Sony allows you to self-publish. But who knows? Maybe Microsoft will change. From our perspective, we need self-publishing because DayZ would be a great digital download title.”

Hall added that Sony’s free patching policy is preferable because there are a lot of bugs in DayZ. “It’s gonna take a long time for us to be able to iron this out and we don’t wanna have to be paying ten, twenty thousand dollars – whatever it is – every time we wanna do an update.”

Hall’s remarks here echo Phil Fish’s decision not to patch Fez last year, as it would cost his studio “tens of thousands of dollars.”
    http://www.edge-online.com/news/dayz-set-to-arrive-on-ps4-but-could-skip-xbox-one/

Possible console exclusive :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

dont think i can pre-order until mid august. will i still get a launch day console?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Preordered mine from gamestop over here $100 deposit and can pay off pieces once I get money together. Roll on launch day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Ten thousand dollars to patch your game? Jesus, what are MS playing at. I know there's costs involved but they already got a nice slice of the purchase price every time the game was downloaded.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

MarkY91 wrote: »
    dont think i can pre-order until mid august. will i still get a launch day console?

I ordered mie today and I'm not confident of getting one - If I ordered in august, I would be assuming I'm on a list for a later batch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

To people who pre-order online with xtravision..

I went through the pure order process on my tablet,

It seems like they take the money up front. Is this the case? I saw no mention of a deposit.

Too lazy to turn on laptop.. Don't want to be charged full whack.

They just pre authorise €400 off the card to make sure it's there but they won't take it till it ships. It's the way all online shops work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

hi lads I am an xbox refugee... looking forward to ps4 now preordered and paid mine off in full today.. gamestop are all saying once they get the numbers they will get the stock.. gamestop Hq will be advising them when day one console preorders are to stop...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

F1ngers wrote: »
    I ordered mie today and I'm not confident of getting one - If I ordered in august, I would be assuming I'm on a list for a later batch.
    hi lads I am an xbox refugee... looking forward to ps4 now preordered and paid mine off in full today.. gamestop are all saying once they get the numbers they will get the stock.. gamestop Hq will be advising them when day one console preorders are to stop...

A little bit more confident that I'll get mine - still have a feeling EU will get shafted if there is a big shortage.

The interesting thing here I think that is being overlooked is, what about the Japanese launch, Sony's home market. Nothing has been said about it, launch windows and prices for them. Every other PS launch, there was always the Japanese take on things somewhere but not this time. Very odd. The PS3 launch in Japan was huge and covered by the gaming media of the western world in great detail in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭circadian

I guess it's because Sony are pushing the region free global launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

The interesting thing here I think that is being overlooked is, what about the Japanese launch, Sony's home market. Nothing has been said about it, launch windows and prices for them. Every other PS launch, there was always the Japanese take on things somewhere but not this time. Very odd. The PS3 launch in Japan was huge and covered by the gaming media of the western world in great detail in 2006.

The Japanese will buy the ps4 regardless. It just shows how agressive they're willing to be, to win this generation.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

F1ngers wrote: »
    A little bit more confident that I'll get mine - still have a feeling EU will get shafted if there is a big shortage.

Sony had a massive ad at Wembley during the champions league final saying "ps4 coming 2013" so I doubt the EU is gonna get shafted

Sony had a massive ad at Wembley during the champions league final saying "ps4 coming 2013" so I doubt the EU is gonna get shafted

Right now the Sony marketing bosses are saying there is a possibility of stock shortages and are warning it could now happen. They have revised their sales projections after the E3 response and the pre order trend in the US so far.

In 2006 all shops here had posters for PS3 coming Xmas '06 after E3 '06. There was a stock shortage in the US, Sony pulled the stock manufactured for the EU and sent it to the US leaving us to wait till March '07.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

circadian wrote: »
    I guess it's because Sony are pushing the region free global launch.

It's not global, it's out in the US and EU for now for 2013 but they've not set a release window for the rest of the world just yet.

Varik wrote: »
    It's not global, it's out in the US and EU for now for 2013 but they've not set a release window for the rest of the world just yet.

So they are more or less following MS's release plan of XBO? It won't be in Asia till 2014. Strange for us in the EU to get a PS release before Japan as we were always 6-12 months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shreddy Krueger

So they are more or less following MS's release plan of XBO? It won't be in Asia till 2014. Strange for us in the EU to get a PS release before Japan as we were always 6-12 months later.

Sony know they will destroy Microsoft in Asia no matter what. That's a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Europe is the #1 territory for playstation so we should be getting a good deal instead of getting shafted and left last for nearly every major console and game release. Bout time we had a bit of luck for once!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    Europe is the #1 territory for playstation so we should be getting a good deal instead of getting shafted and left last for nearly every major console and game release. Bout time we had a bit of luck for once!

Sony knows they'll win in both Europe, and Asia so the market they should be trying hardest to win is the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Can i ask what are the main differences between ps3 and ps4 why would i upgrade in other words i dont know much about these things i just play whats in front of me

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Can i ask what are the main differences between ps3 and ps4 why would i upgrade in other words i dont know much about these things i just play whats in front of me

The PS3 is ancient now in technology terms and you can see it aging in the latest games like Far Cry 3, while it looks great you can see where corners had to be cut in the detail, effects and draw distance to get it running at a good framerate for consoles. Time has caught up with it. Games are looking better every year and they is only so much power in the PS3, so the PS4 is much more powerful and can run games that look far better with dynamic lighting effects and shadows, have larger open worlds, less or no loading screens, more processing power so developers can program better AI and all new physics engines like what is standard in PC games. If you see the The Division gameplay demo you can see amazing modeling of bullet penetration going through a police crusier being used as cover for example.

It's like buying a new car every few years, still gets you from A to B but will look nicer and have extra and newer features over the old one.

While there are still some top end titles coming to the PS3 this year it won't be the case for next year and the big titles will come out on PS4 instead. This year you will have Assassins Creed 4, Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4 and COD Ghosts released on the PS3 and PS4 side by side. An overlap like that won't happen at the end of 2014. Eventually decent titles for the PS3 will stop and if you want to carry on playin the latest and greatest will need to get a PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

The PS3 is ancient now in technology terms and you can see it aging in the latest games like Far Cry 3, while it looks great you can see where corners had to be cut in the detail, effects and draw distance to get it running at a good framerate for consoles. Time has caught up with it. Games are looking better every year and they is only so much power in the PS3, so the PS4 is much more powerful and can run games that look far better with dynamic lighting effects and shadows, have larger open worlds, less or no loading screens, more processing power so developers can program better AI and all new physics engines like what is standard in PC games. If you see the The Division gameplay demo you can see amazing modeling of bullet penetration going through a police crusier being used as cover for example.

It's like buying a new car every few years, still gets you from A to B but will look nicer and have extra and newer features over the old one.

While there are still some top end titles coming to the PS3 this year it won't be the case for next year and the big titles will come out on PS4 instead. This year you will have Assassins Creed 4, Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4 and COD Ghosts released on the PS3 and PS4 side by side. An overlap like that won't happen at the end of 2014. Eventually decent titles for the PS3 will stop and if you want to carry on playin the latest and greatest will need to get a PS4.

If games are gonna be coming out on both for a while, wouldn't it make sense to just wait until a price drop for the PS4?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

is ps4 backwards compatible??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

No its not backwards compatible. It seems to me it might be a better idea to order a PS4 from an American website and use parcel motel if it looks like Sony are going to divert stock from the EU market to the US market.

If games are gonna be coming out on both for a while, wouldn't it make sense to just wait until a price drop for the PS4?

They won't be out on both for a while, very few will be.

Take Battlefield 4 for example. The PS4 version will have better graphics and 64 players online. The PS3 version will not look as good and have a quarter of the amount of players online in one game. That, and the big one for me, I hate the dual shock 3 controller and 4 is reportedly an improvement in every way.

You actually get more value for money if you buy a console day one if you are a big gamer. Spread €400 out over the PS4's 6 year life cycle. There are PS3s on the shelves now for €250 and it's being replaced in 6 months.

PS4 will only play PS4 games. Sony are working with Gaikai for a streaming system for PS1/2 and 3 games in the future.

MadYaker wrote: »
    No its not backwards compatible. It seems to me it might be a better idea to order a PS4 from an American website and use parcel motel if it looks like Sony are going to divert stock from the EU market to the US market.

I'd advise against getting a US PS4. It has region free games yes but not bluray movies, will be locked to the US PSN and American servers as standard unless you go in and change the IP address and proxys. It will be hit with EU VAT by customs on the way in too and a customs handling fee. It would end up costing more than if you get on here and then the hassle of changing settings and making sure content will work on it here. Just seems to be too much time and trouble doing it that way to me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'd advise against getting a US PS4. It has region free games yes but not bluray movies, will be locked to the US PSN and American servers as standard unless you go in and change the IP address and proxys. It will be hit with EU VAT by customs on the way in too and a customs handling fee. It would end up costing more than if you get on here and then the hassle of changing settings and making sure content will work on it here. Just seems to be too much time and trouble doing it that way to me..

thanks for posting that. i was contemplating ordering one from an american website also. not a chance now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement