Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There are ways to avoid the irish VAT and customs duty, if you know someone who lives in the US you can get it delivered to them and then have them post it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

will be locked to the US PSN and American servers as standard unless you go in and change the IP address and proxys.

Where are you getting that from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

MadYaker wrote: »
    There are ways to avoid the irish VAT and customs duty, if you know someone who lives in the US you can get it delivered to them and then have them post it to you.

Doesn't always work. Revenue are cracking down on that now. Where I work there are a good few foreign nationals and they regularly get items post to them at work from home and the amount of times I see UPS, DHL etc waiting for C.O.D payments at reception has gone up big time.

The price limit for sending personal gifts that are not liable to import duty and VAT is €42 if I recall correctly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Customs check those packages too and gifts aren't exempt from vat and customs duty.

Varik wrote: »
    Where are you getting that from.

I read that before somewhere. I got an imported version of Killzone 3 from Canada and every time I went online it was to US servers. Had to buy a copy here to play online with decent pings on UK servers.

• Advertisement

I read that before somewhere. I got an imported version of Killzone 3 from Canada and every time I went online it was to US servers. Had to buy a copy here to play online with decent pings on UK servers.

That's the first time I've every heard that, the worst is that a game may only be compatible with DLC off it's own regions store.

From memory you could choose which servers to play on in Killzone, I jumped onto a few US and Japanese games when I play that game before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

I'd advise against getting a US PS4. It has region free games yes but not bluray movies, will be locked to the US PSN and American servers as standard unless you go in and change the IP address and proxys. It will be hit with EU VAT by customs on the way in too and a customs handling fee. It would end up costing more than if you get on here and then the hassle of changing settings and making sure content will work on it here. Just seems to be too much time and trouble doing it that way to me..

If its the same as the PS3 the game region will be what locks it to particular servers if they enforce it. I have both a US and Irish PS3 and its game dependent which servers it goes to. Sometimes it's not even that transparent I played BLOPS2 last month in the US and with a US copy and I'm pretty sure that I was on a server somewhere in Europe with the lag that I had.

W

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Gamestop are robbers!...i tried tp trade in some PS3 hardware, they offered me an INSULTING 3 quid for a PS3 remote, the feckin thing costs 23 new ffs!....and get this, you know the PS3 keyboard....costs 63 Euro, 19 Euro is all you get.

To add injury they are reselling those remotes for 15 Euro....wtf kind of a profit margin/markup is that?

They offer pittance for games too, like new AAA games get like 5 quid and they resell them for 35, its an utter scandal!

One reason i'd love for the next gen to wipeout Gamestop....they rip off customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Gamestop are robbers!...i tried tp trade in some PS3 hardware, they offered me an INSULTING 3 quid for a PS3 remote, the feckin thing costs 23 new ffs!....and get this, you know the PS3 keyboard....costs 63 Euro, 19 Euro is all you get.

To add injury they are reselling those remotes for 15 Euro....wtf kind of a profit margin/markup is that?

They offer pittance for games too, like new AAA games get like 5 quid and they resell them for 35, its an utter scandal!

One reason i'd love for the next gen to wipeout Gamestop....they rip off customers.

Then sell them yourself? Gamestop aren't forcing you to trade in your games there. They are a business, they want money. They can't guarantee that they'll be able to sell the items you trade in so they don't offer a lot.
    Everybody will be trading in PS3s and 360 and accessories now so the demand has gone down, so they won't offer much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Well i wont sell my PS3 until closer to launch and with Arkham Origins...might wait longer, no PS4 version yet. I now they'll be flooded with Ps3 hadware and they are a business....that not the point.

the point is they are ripping people off making making huge profits. Eg. a 320Gb Ps3 second hand, you get 110 credit....they resell for 230!!

How is that not ripping people?

• Advertisement

They've no guarantee that they'll sell the stock. As for the Keyboards, and any keyboard will work even new sub €20 ones and I don't see those selling well.

Again they've no guarantee to sell the games, some games hold up and continue to sell while others drop off very quickly.

Who the f*ck is going to buy a second hand PS3 a few months before the PS4 comes out?? The reason they are offering f*ck all is because they have a very slim chance of selling them and making back any of the money they give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Well i wont sell my PS3 until closer to launch and with Arkham Origins...might wait longer, no PS4 version yet. I now they'll be flooded with Ps3 hadware and they are a business....that not the point.

the point is they are ripping people off making making huge profits. Eg. a 320Gb Ps3 second hand, you get 110 credit....they resell for 230!!

How is that not ripping people?

They're a business, they're in existence to make money.

When you take 23% VAT off the €230, they're only making about 70 odd quid. It would take alot of these 70 bucks to pay their operating costs every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Who the f*ck is going to buy a second hand PS3 a few months before the PS4 comes out?? The reason they are offering f*ck all is because they have a very slim chance of selling them and making back any of the money they give you.

I don't understand everyone trading in their ps3s. There will be loads more games offered on plus which I am assuming everyone will have for multi player. So why not keep both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm definitely keeping my PS3. Still gonna be supported if you include plus, handy blu ray player. And the fact its worth a pittance :pac:

padair wrote: »
    I don't understand everyone trading in their ps3s. There will be loads more games offered on plus which I am assuming everyone will have for multi player. So why not keep both.

Because some people are skint and can't afford the full price. You are right though, it makes more sense to wait a while, save up some cash and keep your PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Will you be able to play ps2 and ps3 games on the ps4 and can it be used as a blue ray player also when it comes out what price are we talking about

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Will you be able to play ps2 and ps3 games on the ps4 and can it be used as a blue ray player also when it comes out what price are we talking about

Not directly no, but they are adding a streaming service for you to stream all playstation games from PS1, 2 and 3 on your PS4.
    It will play blu-ray, and its priced at 399.

Lots of information on other sites, best to inform yourself about both consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

im almost sure ill sell my ps3 when the ps4 comes out. ive no reason to keep it. ive sold most my games today on adverts.ie. im finished with this generation of gaming once i buy the 'the last of us' only other big game coming out is the new GTA and ive no interest in it..

that said, what reasons are there to keep my ps3?

(i know most people still have ps3 games they want to play and stuff so i understand why alot of you are keeping the ps3)

There is Beyond Two Souls coming in October, that's the last big one for me on PS3. Never getting rid of my PS3 as it can play PS2 games, still have all my old Ace Combats.

• Advertisement

There is Beyond Two Souls coming in October, that's the last big one for me on PS3. Never getting rid of my PS3 as it can play PS2 games, still have all my old Ace Combats.

will the price of ps3 games take a big drop once ps4 is out? that might be a reason to keep it for another year or so for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

I preordered PS4 from amazon,

just before it will be dispatched to me should I buy game or will it be possible once I get it to buy game online and just download it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I have a 640GB PS3 with around 30 games. I don't know what it would get me and I was thinking of keeping it but if the PS4 was really good I might want to get rid of it ? Would you go back to it with a new PS4 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I have a 640GB PS3 with around 30 games. I don't know what it would get me and I was thinking of keeping it but if the PS4 was really good I might want to get rid of it ? Would you go back to it with a new PS4 ?

The problem is that most (if not all) games won't compatible with the PS4 unless you went to the playstation store to buy a software to play PS3 games, that is the only problem with the PS4 I have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Not directly no, but they are adding a streaming service for you to stream all playstation games from PS1, 2 and 3 on your PS4.
    May seem a bit stupid but can you expand on this if possible? I still have a load of PS2 games, are you saying that they are worth keeping since the ps4 had dvd support? Thanks!

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »
    May seem a bit stupid but can you expand on this if possible? I still have a load of PS2 games, are you saying that they are worth keeping since the ps4 had dvd support? Thanks!

We don't know exactly how it'll work yet, I doubt it'll be able to read your discs to check if you happen but nobody knows.
    Basically whats going to happen is if you're internet is good enough, they are going to have the PS2/PS3 game playing on servers elsewhere in the world, your PS4 will send your controller inputs to that server, and the server will send the video output back to your PS4. So there may be latency issues, we don't know yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

nucker wrote: »
    The problem is that most (if not all) games won't compatible with the PS4 unless you went to the playstation store to buy a software to play PS3 games, that is the only problem with the PS4 I have

I'm not sure if I would play them again. Would you really start up a PS3 if you had a PS4 ?

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I would play them again. Would you really start up a PS3 if you had a PS4 ?

Me, yes. I get nostalgic about some old games and like to fire them up now and again. Some PS1 titles I still play the odd time, brings back good memories and I laugh at how some of them were ground breaking at the time.

198321 wrote: »
    I preordered PS4 from amazon,

just before it will be dispatched to me should I buy game or will it be possible once I get it to buy game online and just download it?

Yes, not sure how altering an order effects you position and if altering it will put you back at the bottom, the PS4 will be day and date for any retail games so you can download them straight away and even start the games before they finish.

• Advertisement

anyone now if xtravision will be doing midnight release? i guess it depends on each branch huh? my local xtravision do midnight release of call of duty and fifa every year so im hoping so

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement