Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭.skid

Does anyone have any idea on the price and whether or not you'll have party chat on it like you have on xbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

.skid wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea on the price and whether or not you'll have party chat on it like you have on xbox?

The price for the PS4 is €399. And yes, there will be cross game/ party chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Total noob when it comes to ordering things like the PS4 on the Gamestop site. Can someone tell me do they take the full 400 Euro from the credit card now, or is it a deposit? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

nocoverart wrote: »
    Total noob when it comes to ordering things like the PS4 on the Gamestop site. Can someone tell me do they take the full 400 Euro from the credit card now, or is it a deposit? Thanks!

Almost all places (online wise) will pre-authorise your card for the money, but they won't actually take it until the unit has shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

nocoverart wrote: »

They don't take the full amount until the order is dispatched.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Sorry it's off topic..but I couldn't resist myself..

994296_443360165762588_2025267709_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

MarkY91 wrote: »
    anyone now if xtravision will be doing midnight release? i guess it depends on each branch huh? my local xtravision do midnight release of call of duty and fifa every year so im hoping so

Looks like there are up to 90 Xtra vision stores closing so I have to hang on for a bit before I place an order with them.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/one-in-three-xtravision-outlets-set-to-close-29347930.html

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Anyone up for a size comparison?

image_304219_fit_940.jpg

The PS4 is about the size of the first PS3 slim. I'm really surprised by how massive the X1 is!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Looks like there are up to 90 Xtra vision stores closing so I have to hang on for a bit before I place an order with them.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/one-in-three-xtravision-outlets-set-to-close-29347930.html

I would not go near Xtravision, the one in Castlebar is closing, they are having a liquidation sale this week.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

TNT2k_ wrote: »

picsnip

The PS4 is about the size of the first PS3 slim. I'm really surprised by how massive the X1 is!

MS claim the X1 is going to be extremely quiet, perhaps that has a little to do with is bulk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

MS claim the X1 is going to be extremely quiet, perhaps that has a little to do with is bulk?

Possibly, but I still don't see how it could be so big. Even if it was a small bit bigger than the PS4 and extremely quiet, as they put it, I wouldn't raise an eyebrow, but it's absolutely massive. Maybe the design could've been more efficient?

It'll be interesting to see the outcome of how quiet both are given the PS4 is more powerful and in a smaller form factor. One thing Sony is very good at is designing and engineering good products.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It has one big fan for cooling instead of the two smaller ones in the 360. Bigger fans can spin slower while moving more air and so produce less noise. The XBO has alot of empty space inside it behind the bluray drive though, just a laptop format HDD mounted to the back wall behind it. The cooling fan and heatsinks takes up half the space mounted over the GPU and RAM chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

aindriu80 wrote: »

my local xtravision is taking preorders..why take preorders if theyre planning on closing though?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

my local xtravision is taking preorders..why take preorders if theyre planning on closing though?

They'll operate business as usual until they no longer can do so.

They'll operate business as usual until they no longer can do so.

so if my local xtravision does end up closing, will me and others get our money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

so if my local xtravision does end up closing, will me and others get our money back?

Probably not. Remember the HMV voucher fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

TNT2k_ wrote: »

Either my eyes have gone funny or that PS3 has been flipped.

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    Either my eyes have gone funny or that PS3 has been flipped.

Yeah, it's a mirror image of a PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

EGriff wrote: »
    Probably not. Remember the HMV voucher fiasco.
    Dont remind me of hmv the robbing bucking bastards

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

Gamestop are robbers!...i tried tp trade in some PS3 hardware, they offered me an INSULTING 3 quid for a PS3 remote, the feckin thing costs 23 new ffs!....and get this, you know the PS3 keyboard....costs 63 Euro, 19 Euro is all you get.

To add injury they are reselling those remotes for 15 Euro....wtf kind of a profit margin/markup is that?

They offer pittance for games too, like new AAA games get like 5 quid and they resell them for 35, its an utter scandal!

One reason i'd love for the next gen to wipeout Gamestop....they rip off customers.

€15 - Price they sell it at.
    €12.19 - after they pay vat.
    €7.69 - take 30% off the sale price to cover rent, light, insurance, etc. *
    €4.69 - take off the three euro they pay you.

So, for €4.69, they still have to cover having money tied up in this as opposed to something else for however long it takes to sell it, staff costs and the fact that they use things like this to subsidise our cheaper than RRP games.

So in answer to your question of what kind of a margin is that, I would say it's high but not really unreasonable.

*this figure is based on a different retail industry but is a vague estimate. I'm not saying Gamestop pay that much for rent, light, insurance, etc. but they don't pay 3% and they don't pay 80%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

6F2vzMV.jpg

Links to more colors
    http://i.imgur.com/DMURyJw.jpg Gold
    http://i.imgur.com/FuGkEoV.jpg Red
    http://i.imgur.com/2hsfUkJ.jpg Blue
    http://i.imgur.com/eRtuaCM.jpg Different Gold
    http://i.imgur.com/0J751ov.jpg Sliver
    http://i.imgur.com/H1ThBvJ.jpg Purple
    http://i.imgur.com/oGgVowl.jpg Darker Purple
    Credit to Christiankid7 and GameFaqs
    Found these on Neogaf
    That White and Sliver :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

White looks amazing :)

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    White looks amazing :)

Amazingly like a wii :P

But yes, pretty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

white looks awesome !! I would totally buy one if I could.

I love the ps4 already.

IGN has a list of launch games for the PS4.
    Confirmed Day One
    Game Developer Info
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Ubisoft Wiki
    Battlefield 4 DICE Wiki
    Call of Duty: Ghosts Infinity Ward Wiki
    DC Universe Online Sony Online Entertainment Wiki
    DriveClub Evolution Studios Wiki
    FIFA 14 EA Sports Wiki
    Just Dance 2014 Ubisoft Wiki
    Killzone Shadow Fall Guerilla Games Wiki
    Knack SCE Japan Studio Wiki
    LEGO Marvel Super Heroes TT Games Wiki
    Madden NFL 25 EA Sports Wiki
    NBA 2K14 Visual Concepts Wiki
    NBA Live 14 EA Sports Wiki
    PlanetSide 2 Sony Online Entertainment Wiki
    Skylanders: Swap Force Vicarious Visions Wiki
    Warframe Digital Extremes Wiki
    Watch Dogs Ubisoft Montreal Wiki

These are launch window games between day one and March 2014
    Blacklight Retribution Zombie Studios Wiki
    Diablo 3 Blizzard Wiki
    inFamous Second Son Sucker Punch Wiki
    Need for Speed: Rivals Ghost, Criterion Wiki
    The Crew Ivory Towers and Reflections Wiki
    The Order: 1886 Ready At Dawn Studios - SCE Santa Monica Studio Wiki
    The Witness Thekla Inc. Wiki
    Wolfenstein: The New Order Machine Games Wiki
    WarThunder

IGN has a list of launch games for the PS4.

watchdogs, fifa, cod:ghosts, assassins creed = my launch buys:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I would love if they released the above in silver...

I'd take just the controller. Looks very nice in silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Varik

tok9 wrote: »
    I would love if they released the above in silver...

I'd take just the controller. Looks very nice in silver.

The silver controller wears badly, they're just painted white plastic and the paint will come off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hmmm . so far launch titles are defenetly not great for me :(. Its not that they are bad, its just I will be getting main ones on PC anyway.

So looks like knack and kill zone going to be my day one purchases. Maybe bf4 too if my buddy will buy ps4 instead of xbox

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement