Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School acceptance rules

Options
  • 06-01-2013 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how many buses go to Callan taking boys to the secondary scholl and how many buses take kids into Kilkenny for secondary school.

Seems a stupid rule that anyone regardless of your parish can apply for schools in another area. I am lucky that all my kids have gotten into schools here in the city but I know many that have to send their kids out the country to shools but yet from those towns they are sending kids into Kilkenny. If a child has to go to Callan and all his friends from his hurling/football/sports are here in Kilkenny then they may miss training sessions etc. They loose contact with the community as are else where. From an environmental view how much fuel is polluting the environment from these bus trips. I was talking to a taxi driver last night who had to send his child t Kilkenny College because he got no offer of a local school.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If parents want to send their kids to school in another town or city its their decision, ultimately they are adults and if they don't understand any benefits/drawbacks then thats their loss and a loss to their kids.

Kids have been coming from Kilkenny out to Callan for decades, on the other side of things very few went the other way around (atleast during my time in secondary).

Sure its wasteful when it comes to bus fuel etc, but then so is
    - parents driving kids to school when they are only 1-2mile down the road from the school,
    - parents who won't let their kids cycle to cycle
    - people that drive to work in a car in their own and don't carpool
    - People that drive to the local shop just down the road
    - people that leave lights on in rooms they are not in
    etc :pac:

Lots of things waste resources but yet we do these things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Cabaal wrote: »
    If parents want to send their kids to school in another town or city its their decision, ultimately they are adults and if they don't understand any benefits/drawbacks then thats their loss and a loss to their kids.

They don't want to send their kids to Callan or elsewhere, they have no choice. My sons best friend want to go to the CBS here in Kikenny with all his friends and didn't get into their or Kierans so the parents have to pay over €4,000 for him to go to KK College or send him him to school in a different town!

That is not fair to the parents who have to pay for the bus (€600/year) or to the child. The child could have walked to school and all the parents where I live are in a run, I have the car full anytime I collect or bring and we have a rota.

Advertisement