Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAS info

• 06-01-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the Rental Accomadation scheme is still ongoing. Someone told me a year ago that SDCC weren't taking any new applicants. I've been on the list for 7 years with no offer of housing and am in my current place with my family for nearly 3 years. The landlord said he'd be willing to enter into it and my wife recently pointed out that the SDCC website still has it listed as operational.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

First of all you must be aware that if you go on the RAS scheme you are immediately removed from the Housing List. Bear this in mind before you do anything..do you want to give up your years of waiting for this?

Are you married? Got kids?

I would strongly recommend you contact the council and find out your position on the list....What are you looking for? A house? Apartment?
    The council don't really contact people on the list to keep them updated on their status, so I would really suggest you ask them where you are on the list and find out if you're near the top.

I was extremely close to going on the RAS scheme myself but I contacted the council a few times to ask where I was.

They suddenly offered me a council property after 10 years of waiting.
    You're waiting 7 years..definitely do your research first before taking on the RAS scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Also, the landlord only has to enter the scheme for 5 years, if they decide to leave, your back to square one.

You may have to move house also if the land lord decides they want to sell after their first contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Also, the landlord only has to enter the scheme for 5 years, if they decide to leave, your back to square one.

You may have to move house also if the land lord decides they want to sell after their first contract.

You're bang on there...you're stuck if the Landlord decides he doesn't want to continue with the lease after five years and then you're going to have to start all over again.

I'm not trying to slate the RAS scheme-it's worked for thousands of people and I myself was interested in it.

But because you've been waiting a long time, I would be inclined to hang on until you're offered a council property.

If you were only on the list a year or two, I'd be recommending you take up the RAS but definitely try and find out where you stand with the council.
    Whatever happens, let us know what happens...best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Married with two kids. Were at number 300 and something but that list is not moving fast. We're down under my wifes name so we're under the foriegners pile, the one thats not moving (thats another story). The 5 year deal is fine with me as we do hope to buy our own home after or around that time. The issue I have at the moment is that were currently in a nice little 3 bed house (which is fine under the rent allowance) but we can only be housed in a 2 bed as we've 2 daughters. This would mean squeezing into a smaller house or apartment. Does anyone know if the RAS scheme would only allow for a 2 bed or would we be able to stay where we are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

My house is under the RAS scheme it was just me and my daughter and we have a 3 bed house. They didn't seem to take rooms into consideration when they came out to inspect it. They got my landlady to do some minor work to bring house up to standard that was it.

I was assured by the council that it doesn't overly affect your place on the housing list and I am still on the list it just comes down to if there is me at the top of this list and someone else behind me who is deemed more in need of housing they will be given a house first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Kaylami wrote: »
    My house is under the RAS scheme it was just me and my daughter and we have a 3 bed house. They didn't seem to take rooms into consideration when they came out to inspect it. They got my landlady to do some minor work to bring house up to standard that was it.

I was assured by the council that it doesn't overly affect your place on the housing list and I am still on the list it just comes down to if there is me at the top of this list and someone else behind me who is deemed more in need of housing they will be given a house first.

That settles it I'll have to start appying. I have a friend who works in the council and he told me 2 years ago that the council had cancelled the RAS scheme. I'll keep this post updated with what happens.

Thanks for the help.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nix1

Hi guys,

I am having real trouble finding a landlord who will accept RAS.

I am working 30 hrs a week(paid), and 15 hrs interning(unpaid) (and doing a night course), i'm not entitled to rent allowance now since I started the paid job so I was told I could go onto the RAS, however SDCC have told me I cant go on it in my current accommodation as its a 3 bed and there's only myself and my daughter living here, so we have to find a 2 bed. Its really frustrating as we are happy here and my landlords are interested in the scheme, its just that the council wont allow it.

Im starting to panic a bit now as the council gave me 3 months to find a 2 bed that accepts RAS, if I dont in that time then i'm on my own, but cant afford the rent and childcare from my own resources.

Any advice, or anyone who knows or is a landlord with a 2 bed willing to go on the RAS please get in touch.

I have excellent references, i'm a hard worker and a good tenant.....I just happen to find myself in a tricky situation!!

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

The house im in at the moment is great, and the landlord has agreed to talk to the council, but is afraid they want to reduce the rent by so much that it wont pay him to go for the contract.

Anyone know how that works?

mumof2 wrote: »
    The house im in at the moment is great, and the landlord has agreed to talk to the council, but is afraid they want to reduce the rent by so much that it wont pay him to go for the contract.

Anyone know how that works?

The council pay the landlord the full amount.

In my case 550 a month and I pay the council 50 a week.

Kaylami wrote: »
    The council pay the landlord the full amount.

In my case 550 a month and I pay the council 50 a week.

Thank you for your reply, but does this apply to all Counties? Im in County Cork (West Cork). I pay E650.00 per month for a 4 bed property. Im a single parent with a boy and a girl so need minimum of 3 rooms.

• Advertisement

Well you will be means tested to assess how much you can afford to pay.

It really depends on the local council what there guidelines are as regards minimum rent etc.

Thanks for the info, must ring them again to see where Im at on the application status, as I've been told to keep ringing them:D

Advertisement