Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very pale foundations / alternative to Bobbi Brown Alabaster suggestions

• 06-01-2013 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Currently looking for a new foundation and I'm not having much luck. The one I'm using now is La Roche Posay Mineral and it's a tiny bit too dark and I feel it's noticeable now that it's winter and I'm at my palest.

Saw Bobbi Brown in Alabaster being recommended online but now that I want to buy it I find that it's discontinued except in the US and the US website won't ship here. Anyone know any reputable websites where I could get it?

Any alternatives that anyone uses and finds them pale enough also very welcome especially if I can just walk in and buy it. I have a normal to slightly oily T zone and tops of my cheeks are dry. I have redness from old acne but only in a few areas so I prefer to use concealer on that and not be heavy allover. Concealer recommendations also welcome because the Vichy dermablend is now also too dark and the collection 2000 one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I use Clinique Anti-Blemish Solutions. Medium enough coverage. In the lightest colour! Fresh Alabaster I think it's called. I'm very pale and it's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭LadyBetty

I'm very pale too & use MAC face & body foundation in N1 (lightest shade). You can only get it from Brown Thomas, BT2 don't sell it, neither does MAC at the airport. I use SmashBox primer underneath for a smooth complexion, as you have a mix of t-zone and dry skin it might be a good idea to use a primer too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Revlon Colorstay in Ivory, also Makeup Forever on Claredon Street in Dublin do very pale shades. Would you consider buying a white foundation to mix in with foundations you already have which are too dark?

Like this one from Face Attelier, In the shade Zero Minus
    http://www.cloud10beauty.com/makeup/ultra-foundation-pro-html.html

or there's the Mac Face and Body in white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

I'm very pale, n1 in f&b is too dark for me, i'm currently using chantecaille, matches me perfectly and is amazing!!! but other ones i suit colour wise are make up forever, i might try the nw10 in studio fix though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

LadyBetty wrote: »
    I'm very pale too & use MAC face & body foundation in N1 (lightest shade). You can only get it from Brown Thomas, BT2 don't sell it, neither does MAC at the airport. I use SmashBox primer underneath for a smooth complexion, as you have a mix of t-zone and dry skin it might be a good idea to use a primer too?

MAC Henry Street sell it too. I use N1, I'm quite pale and it's not a perfect match, but it actually looks better and more warming and natural than trying to go as pale as possible. I use NC5 powder over it, and it works fine.

Another option if you find the perfect foundation which is too dark for you is to mix it with a white foundation- Illamasqua do one and plenty of very pale people do this. Illamasqua WERE in Bt2 Grafton street, not sure if they still are.

I'd try Nw/C 5 and 10 foundations in MAC as well. They weren't sold here a few years back when NW15 was too dark for me, but they do some great foundations and the paler shades would be worth trying out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

slowmoe wrote: »
    I'm very pale, n1 in f&b is too dark for me, i'm currently using chantecaille, matches me perfectly and is amazing!!! but other ones i suit colour wise are make up forever, i might try the nw10 in studio fix though

NW10 gets a huge shout out from me. It's the closest thing to my own skin I've ever found. I'd advise asking for a sample anyway!

Estee Lauder Double Wear in shell is meant to be great too. It was discontinued but is being relaunched soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Can you get NW/NC 10 at MAC counters here? I've never seen it on the displays, but I suppose that doesn't mean it's not available.

Illamasqua's lightest shades are very pale. I use 02 in Skin Base and it's perfect for me. I think 115 is the lightest in their other foundation types. You can get it on Debenhams website or in the Debenhams in Belfast, but it's not available anywhere in shops down here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Have a look at Bobbi Brown counters anyway, if it's being discontinued they might still have some in stock.

As a fellow paley I have used and would recommend the following: BB in Alabaster (different formulations to choose from), MAC Studio Sculpt in NC15 and Yves St Laurent Touch Eclat foundation in B20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm incredibly pale too and I found that one shade up from Bobbi Brown Alabaster (Porcelain) worked for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Victoria. wrote: »
    Saw Bobbi Brown in Alabaster being recommended online but now that I want to buy it I find that it's discontinued except in the US and the US website won't ship here. Anyone know any reputable websites where I could get it?

http://www.bobbibrown.co.uk/products/search/esearch.tmpl?search=alabastor

Seems to be on sale here ... (and on the House of Fraser website too)

You might be able to stock up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

No7 has good pale ones - I used to use Alabaster, they've since rebooted them and made them less yellow-toned so my new shade is Calico, they have paler shade(s) as well though. I use Stay Perfect foundation, it's a good all-rounder and suits my combination skin perfectly.

Seren_ wrote: »
    Can you get NW/NC 10 at MAC counters here?

Yep! Got it in Brown Thomas last week, the girl said it was recently launched here following so many requests.

Seren_ wrote: »
    Can you get NW/NC 10 at MAC counters here? I've never seen it on the displays, but I suppose that doesn't mean it's not available.

Yes, and 5. It's definitely a new thing. 5 looks kinda funny it's so much paler than what I'm used to seeing from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

So happy to hear that.

NC15 was still to dark for me.

I'll be popping into BT's to get a sample if I can. Found a girl there that is possibly the nicest Mac girl I've ever come across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Would defo like to try a sample too!

Max Factor have a nice light toned foundation but I'd also highly recommend Illamasqua or Face Atelier for their white foundations to lighten any existing ones you have!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Estee Lauder Double Wear in shell is meant to be great too. It was discontinued but is being relaunched soon!

Just a tip about this one. It is indeed good, it is almost a bit too pale for me and I am incredibly light skinned. However, if you don't like your make up to feel heavy I'd stay away from it. I have double wear in shell and I only ever use it if I have a colossal break out which is never more than 2/3 times a year. It is very, very heavy.

I use Micabella mineral foundation in Godiva and find it to be a great match for my skin. It suits me too coz it's really light.

So happy to hear that.

NC15 was still to dark for me.

I'll be popping into BT's to get a sample if I can. Found a girl there that is possibly the nicest Mac girl I've ever come across.

Not sure they have samples, this might be just an American thing but it seems to be the done thing to bring your own little pots, like the travel ones. There's also the MAC store on Henry Street though that can get very busy at peak times to be dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I use Clinique Anti-Blemish Solutions. Medium enough coverage. In the lightest colour! Fresh Alabaster I think it's called. I'm very pale and it's great!

Thanks Lia I got this one before and it was a pretty good match but my cheeks didn't like the salicylic acid it really dried them out.
    LadyBetty wrote: »

Thanks Betty I saw people using face and body on YouTube but when I was in secondary school loads of the girls were using MAC and they looked orange so I've always been put off by that so never gave them a try. Also heard that their foundations aren't great for your skin at all but again this could be just rumors. If they do paler than NC15 in the face and body it could be worth a look! I have a sample of that Smashbox primer might re-try it :)

gillapino wrote: »
    Revlon Colorstay in Ivory, also Makeup Forever on Claredon Street in Dublin do very pale shades. Would you consider buying a white foundation to mix in with foundations you already have which are too dark?

Like this one from Face Attelier, In the shade Zero Minus
    http://www.cloud10beauty.com/makeup/ultra-foundation-pro-html.html

or there's the Mac Face and Body in white.

I saw Lisa Eldridge with that white foundation, even if I can find one pale enough from all the suggestions here I might just get that anyway and go through all the wrong foundations I have already as well.
    Twee. wrote: »
    Have a look at Bobbi Brown counters anyway, if it's being discontinued they might still have some in stock.

As a fellow paley I have used and would recommend the following: BB in Alabaster (different formulations to choose from), MAC Studio Sculpt in NC15 and Yves St Laurent Touch Eclat foundation in B20.

Thanks Twee I went to Bobbi Brown in Dundrum yesterday and they still had foundations that looked pale and I got some samples to try :) The foundation stick still comes in alabaster anyway which is great.
    Orlee wrote: »
    http://www.bobbibrown.co.uk/products/search/esearch.tmpl?search=alabastor

Seems to be on sale here ... (and on the House of Fraser website too)

You might be able to stock up!

Great thanks Orlee :) I managed to get some porcelain yesterday but if it's too dark I might buy alabaster on here.
    The Cool wrote: »
    No7 has good pale ones - I used to use Alabaster, they've since rebooted them and made them less yellow-toned so my new shade is Calico, they have paler shade(s) as well though. I use Stay Perfect foundation, it's a good all-rounder and suits my combination skin perfectly.

I was so disappointed that they didn't have a good match for me in this because it seemed like a foolproof option you're really lucky that you did :) I got a sample thank goodness so I didn't trust the machine because it wasn't a perfect match. Thought they'd go really pale considering Lisa Eldridge is the creative director and she knows there's a market for very pale shades. Glad it worked for you though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

I'm really pale too and I find Bare Minerals matte foundation in Fair brill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

slowmoe wrote: »

Just wondering has this a matt or dewy finish?

What is the coverage like?

Thanks

• Advertisement

molly09 wrote: »

Just wondering has this a matt or dewy finish?

What is the coverage like?

Thanks

Studio fix is quite full coverage, matt finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Glowla

I've struggled to find a foundation that suited my pale complexion and one which also didn't wreak havoc with my skin (it breaks out around chin/jaw area, dry patches on cheeks and oily t-zone).

I went into Boots and tried No. 7 Stay Perfect in 'Cool Vanilla' and I must say I'm very happy so far. I barely feel it on yet it provides medium coverage which can be built on and it has a semi-matt finish. It gives a smooth appearance to (a very unsmooth appearance in real-life!) my skin and stays on for hours! There's also a moisturising aspect to it and if you pair it with primer its even better.

Their blemish concealer is also very very good, I got the medium tone and I'm very impressed with it. The girl who was working did a skin test which showed the most appropriate tone for me and its the closest match I've ever had to my skin. I just hope it won't create breakouts since my skin is soo temperamental.

Hope you find something that works :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

I've had the very same experience as Glowla. Finding a foundation has always been a pain for me as I'm very pale. I went into Boots no7 after Christmas to try out that foundation match service.

I was very sceptical up until she put the foundation on one half of my face and the match was great! It just looked like my own skin with more even colour. No tide marks at all. :D

My shade is also Cool Vanlla. I think she told me that's their second lightest shade. I bought Stay Perfect in Cool Vanilla. I'm really liking it and I'm thinking of buying the same shade in NO7 Instant Radiance (more dewy).

I have never really liked no7 up until now but I'm really happy with this foundation. I'd reccommend you go into no7 and get them to use the machine on you and you could ask for a sample of what they match you with to see if you like it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

I'm v pale, and always found that maybelline dream matte mousse is a great cheaper alternative for day time make-up, their pale shades are really good too, I've never found them too dark on my skin.

Advertisement