Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mansfield Town v Liverpool FC - the Romance of the Cup at 4 pm ESPN

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

nice to see the mansfield manager not rising to the ESPN bait...

They wont let it lie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

RasTa wrote: »
    When's the draw?

was 3.30 today. Pool got Oldham away.

United or Hammers get Fulham or Blackpool at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Brilliant interview from Mansfield manager on ESPN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Did John Barnes just say nobody accused Henry of cheating? Or did I hear it wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

seriously classy response from Mr Mansfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

John Barnes just said no one accused Henry of cheating when he handled against Ireland? Was he on a bender that week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

rossie1977 wrote: »
    liverpool were awful, completely outplayed for the last 60mins of that game, the most worrying thing is that liverpool were the team to get tired and mansfield were still going all out with 94 mins gone

next week isn't going to be pretty for rodgers

Ah cmon cup games against lower teams arent always champagne stuff and poor results happen, united needed a replay against conference exeter in 05 i think and arsenal got turfed out by league 2 bradford in the league cup this year.

murpho999 wrote: »
    John Barnes just said no one accused Henry of cheating when he handled against Ireland? Was he on a bender that week?

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

Looking at replay there, Suarez tried to move hand away and thought he was about to have whistle blown IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Liverpool won. Why should they feel embarrassed?

In fairness its hard to raise your game for teams like this. They avoid replay and have easy(enough) next round.

Sure they can be happy to have qualified but there can't be too many satisfied with the level of the performance ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Glad someone else heard it. I tried rewinding but my state of the art UPC box is in a mood today. 1st world probs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Tough result for Mansfield - they were unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

cambo2008 wrote: »
    It was cheating but it was so obvious I would put the full blame on officials.

That's exactly what i was going to say. I'd be fuming with the officials more than Suarez. That was an obvious one to spot.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    liverpool were awful, completely outplayed for the last 60mins of that game, the most worrying thing is that liverpool were the team to get tired and mansfield were still going all out with 94 mins gone

next week isn't going to be pretty for rodgers

So you think LFC will win ugly next week. No problem with that!

greendom wrote: »
    Sure they can be happy to have qualified but there can't be too many satisfied with the level of the performance ?

True, but they won thats main thing. They avoid replay and can concentrate on 4th round tie which they should win again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That story was nowhere near as big or as long lived elsewhere as it was in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Mansfield manager certainly talks sense. Surely he'll be number 1 choice to replace b-rod down the line :pac:

Kess73 wrote: »
    That story was nowhere near as big or as long lived elsewhere as it was in Ireland.

Not the full aftermath but it was still a big news story in the football world.

My in-laws family in Holland for example knew all about it and sent me texts etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Mansfield manager showing a lot more class than the same old anti-suarez mob on here

saying it's not cheating, instinctive, 99 out of 100 players would do the same, just cos it's him people will get into a frenzy, it's up to the officials to make the calls etc etc

pity that even though the manager of the team at the wrong end of the decision can be that dignified that "neutrals" on here can't show the same decency instead of frothing at the mouth every time Suarez breathes some air

oh and jon champion saying "that is the work of a cheat" is probably the most clearly partizan hate-filled and subjective pieces of commentary I have ever heard and there should be consequences for espn and him for that

You be wrong. That story made main sports pages as far away as South America.

One of Oz best selling newspaper had Henry on front page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Why would Barnes make that point so? Of course its going be bigger news in the country whom it affected, why would England be outraged?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

donfers wrote: »
    Mansfield manager showing a lot more class than the same old anti-suarez mob on here

saying it's not cheating, instinctive, 99 out of 100 players would do the same, just cos it's him people will get into a frenzy, it's up to the officials to make the calls etc etc

pity that even though the manager of the team at the wrong end of the decision can be that dignified that "neutrals" on here can't show the same decency instead of frothing at the mouth every time Suarez breathes some air

oh and jon champion saying "that is the work of a cheat" is probably the most clearly partizan hate-filled and subjective pieces of commentary I have ever heard and there should be consequences for espn and him for that

Post of the week for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Corholio wrote: »
    Why would Barnes make that point so? Of course its going be bigger news in the country whom it affected, why would England be outraged?

It was huge news. It made the papers in virtually every country. The comparison is stupid and Barnes made it to deflect attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah people over here in Canada have asked me how much do I hate Henry.

Also are some Liverpool fans saying it wasn't a handball? lol

Not the full aftermath but but it was still a big news story in the football world.

My in-laws family in Holland for example knew all about it and sent me texts etc.

Yeah but it did not stick to Henry and see him turned into a hate figure for years to come (outside of Irish folk of course:)) for the most part.

You talk to someone from the UK nowadays about what Henry was like, and chances are it will be his goals or skill that get mentioned.

Here's just one example from Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Ah cmon cup games against lower teams arent always champagne stuff and poor results happen, united needed a replay against conference exeter in 05 i think and arsenal got turfed out by league 2 bradford in the league cup this year.

Sure didn't Utd struggle to beat some small north east club over the holiers :rolleyes:

And were lucky to get a draw against the 'ammers yesterday as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Well done Suarez , bring on the Mancs!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Are they?

Corholio wrote: »

Well going by that logic, why would supporters of any club bar Mansfield be outraged by what happened today?

• Advertisement

Yeah but it did not stick to Henry and see him turned into a hate figure for years to come (outside of Irish folk of course:)) for the most part.

You talk to someone from the UK nowadays about what Henry was like, and chances are it will be his goals or skill that get mentioned.

Yes and rightly so.

He should be remembered for that as he was a great player.

Barnes was still wrong in what he said. I remember being headlines on Sky News the next day. It was definitely big news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think you two are missing the point Kess made.

Livepool's routine win over Sunderland mid-week probably made the newspapers in alot of countries the next day - that does not mean they had the same song and dance for the next month tha we had here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

And rightly so

noodler wrote: »

Livepool's routine win over Sunderland mid-week probably made the newspapers in alot of countries the next day - that does not mean they had the same song and dance for the next month tha we had here.

No I knew what he meant and yes it was a big story around the globe.

It was embarrassing though in lot of ways and I was there to make it worse.

No: Barnes said that Henry was not accused of cheating. He was wrong and the story went around the world at the time.

It carried on in Ireland as would be expected.

No I knew what he meant and yes it was a big story around the globe.

It was embarrassing though in lot of ways and I was there to make it worse.

So it is fair to say it was nowhere near as big a deal in other countries as it was here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

All Liverpool fans are saying it because it wasn't handball. That should be obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

donfers wrote: »

BBC Sport live update wrote that he 'cheekily kisses his hand in front of the away fans' after the goal.

The implication here is clear and proves that the writer has either never watched Suarez play (as he celebrates like this for every goal) or is deliberately trying to whip up a frenzy ala John Champion and the rest of the media. It's getting tiresome at this stage.

I only caught the last 10 minutes but it looked like Mansfield were really unlucky to not get at least a replay. Fair play to them, and kudos to their manager for telling it like it is and not jumping on the bandwagon, despite ESPN's best efforts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Nice bird bit mouthy though!!

• Advertisement

No: Barnes said that Henry was not accused of cheating. He was wrong and the story went around the world at the time.

It carried on in Ireland as would be expected.

Kess said something quite specific that you disagreed with, namely that the incident was nowhere near as big internationally as it was here.

He was right.

Yes but it was still not the kind of huge story that keeps getting mentioned in lots of countries for years after it happened. My point is that it did not taint Henry long term, and it certainly did not have most people outside of Irish folk thinking "Cheat" years later when Henry's name gets mentioned.

When Henry came back to Arsenal for a spell it was not the kind of thing that the media mentioned or that commentators spoke of during games.

He cheated in the game against Ireland, but he did not become Henry the cheat in the eyes of the media or public whenever he played years later.

Basically the mud did not stick long term to any great degree is what I am saying.Imo of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I don't think the magnificent Messi was ever remembered for this one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Poor Suarez :(

So it is fair to say it was nowhere near as big a deal in other countries as it was here.

eh? of course.

That's not the point though.

Not sure what your trying turn this into.

Yes and rightly so.

He should be remembered for that as he was a great player.

Barnes was still wrong in what he said. I remember being headlines on Sky News the next day. It was definitely big news.

I am not saying Barnes was right, but I am saying that the idea of Henry being a cheat just did not stick long term and as such it is probably easier to forget the headlines that came out just after that handball happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

decies wrote: »
    Nice bird bit mouthy though!!

Woman involved in football club... Best stick her in front of the camera despite her having nothing new or interesting to say. Why not chat with the groundsman? At least he had some influence on that game.

Yes but it was still not the kind of huge story that keeps getting mentioned in lots of countries for years after it happened. My point is that it did not taint Henry long term, and it certainly did not have most people outside of Irish folk thinking "Cheat" years later when Henry's name gets mentioned.

When Henry came back to Arsenal for a spell it was not the kind of thing that the media mentioned or that commentators spoke of during games.

He cheated in the game against Ireland, but he did not become Henry the cheat in the eyes of the media or public whenever he played years later.

Basically the mud did not stick long term to any great degree is what I am saying.Imo of course.

Agreed, as it's normal to be forgotten in other countries.

However I still think that Barnes was wrong to say that Henry was not accused of cheating at the time.

So let's call this a draw!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'll take your silence as confirmation you were talking bullsh*t......LOL.

eh? of course.

That's not the point though.

Not sure what your trying turn this into.

?

Kess said something, you disagreed with it, I agreed with it.

I am not turning into anything - chill out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Woman involved in football club... Best stick her in front of the camera despite her having nothing new or interesting to say. Why not chat with the groundsman? At least he had some influence on that game.
    They have a groundsman?

• Advertisement
Advertisement