Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mansfield Town v Liverpool FC - the Romance of the Cup at 4 pm ESPN

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

rarnes1 wrote: »

I see you're on a mission this evening!

Hey you just keep following me chief x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Why dont you just put me on ignore list.

Good lad.

Why would I.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He tried to get his hand out of the way then only scored because he believed he was going to be penalised?

When's his canonisation?

What are you on about? What I said was fairly simple. I could very easily be wrong about the kick, it's very possible he was just playing to the whistle as he was trained to do.

Fairly sure about him trying to move his hand out of the way.

Don't really know why you're asking about his canonisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

yesno1234 wrote: »
    On the chanting I know a Mansfield suppporter on facebook and when this was brought up he said it was the Mansfield support chanting it to the pool fans. This was his comment, he was at the match I should add:
    "We were singing it to Liverpool!
    They were quiet the whole 90 minutes other than about 50 of them singing "Justice for the 96"
    When Ebbsfleet brought along 11 away fans they made more noise."

well if that is the case I make full apology to all Liverpool supporters if I accused them of something they did not do.

The world keeps turning and people can breath again.

well if that is the case I make full apology to all Liverpool supporters if I accused them of something they did not do.

The world keeps turning and people can breath again.

who cares about fans chanting "your support is ****"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I never said that:(. Funny how people have been picking on my posts in here when I have been one of the few supporting Suarez.

Read back on what I said about Suarez if ye like

Plus I thought by the smilies that I was only having small bit of banter.:o

But hey if im easy target work away.

I know you defended Suarez but thought your post was about the chanting. but if it was just meant as a joke then fair enough, that part went over my head. Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

budgemook wrote: »
    What are you on about? What I said was fairly simple. I could very easily be wrong about the kick, it's very possible he was just playing to the whistle as he was trained to do.

Simple - he can't do anything wrong in the eyes of some so a sainthood is due.

Absolutely smashing player, which he proves week in, week out, but he has a nasty streak which even the most blinkered should be able to acknowledge.

Yet even when he does something wrong and it's clear as day you'll get some window lickers defending it and then getting touchy when others point out the obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I know you defended Suarez but thought your post was about the chanting. but if it was just meant as a joke then fair enough, that part went over my head. Apologies.

That's not a problem Chucky.

Been honest the last place I should get stuff from is twitter so its my own fault.(saw it on few and not all United ones)

again I apologise if I caused any offense.

Anyway im out not fair on people who want chat about the game.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Absolutely smashing player, which he proves week in, week out, but he has a nasty streak which even the most blinkered should be able to acknowledge.

Yet even when he does something wrong and it's clear as day you'll get some window lickers defending it and then getting touchy when others point out the obvious.
    Find me one poster that thinks Suarez is a saint?

He isn't. He's done some things that have been nasty and stupid.

However, not everything he does is evil or cheating or racist.

However if you were to believe a lot of posters here, every time he does anything (good or bad), he is always trying to cheat in some way.

Every time he is fouled, you'll have posters on trying to say he dived.

Every time he makes a tackle, he's trying to break their ankles, and its "typical Suarez".

He handled the ball. Was it intentional? I don't know, only he can tell you. You can make anything look intentional using a slow motion replay. Looking at most angles I don't think it was, but it doesn't mean I think Suarez is a saint. I think if there was an opportunity for him to do it intentionally, then he would do it, and I have no problem with that, because ANY professional football player would do the same.

The reason people get touchy is beacuse of the amount of trolls that come in looking for a reaction, calling Suarez everything under the sun and making a huge deal out of every little thing he does.

who cares about fans chanting "your support is ****"?

I don't get it either?

I think Kew took it up wrong

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Find me one poster that thinks Suarez is a saint?

He isn't. He's done some things that have been nasty and stupid.

However, not everything he does is evil or cheating or racist.

However if you were to believe a lot of posters here, every time he does anything (good or bad), he is always trying to cheat in some way.

Every time he is fouled, you'll have posters on trying to say he dived.

Every time he makes a tackle, he's trying to break their ankles, and its "typical Suarez".

He handled the ball. Was it intentional? I don't know, only he can tell you. You can make anything look intentional using a slow motion replay. Looking at most angles I don't think it was, but it doesn't mean I think Suarez is a saint. I think if there was an opportunity for him to do it intentionally, then he would do it, and I have no problem with that, because ANY professional football player would do the same.

The reason people get touchy is beacuse of the amount of trolls that come in looking for a reaction, calling Suarez everything under the sun and making a huge deal out of every little thing he does.

Excellent post

Can't do any wrong? Biting another player was wrong (even though it was on shoulder and not face as many say it was), the handball against Ghana, IMO, was wrong, The dive in the box against Stoke, again IMO, was wrong.

So he can do things that are wrong, no need for a sainthood.

Now that the stupid stuff is out of the way what's this wrongdoing that was clear as day you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I trust you were in the Newcastle thread on your high horse when Demba Ba did the same thing earlier in the season ???

Because otherwise the words "axe" "to" and "Grind" come to mind.

Even the Mansfield manager gives him the benefit of the doubt

MANSFIELD manager Paul Cox:
    "I would like to give Luis Suarez the benefit of the doubt and it was a reaction. Just because it's Suárez, a bigger deal is being made. 99 out of 100 players would do the same. Its FA cup football. If it went in at our end we'd take it. Just because it's Suarez and his reputation a bigger deal is being made"

Should have been disallowed mind you and if Mansfield had of equalized that would have been fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Can't do any wrong? Biting another player was wrong (even though it was on shoulder and not face as many say it was), the handball against Ghana, IMO, was wrong, The dive in the box against Stoke, again IMO, was wrong.

Now that the stupid stuff is out of the way what's this wrongdoing that was clear as day you speak of?

Plenty of players have handled the ball on the line and have not had the same level of hate that Suarez has had for doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Plenty of players have handled the ball on the line and have not had the same level of hate that Suarez has had for doing it

I can't believe when that one is thrown in every time. Be it as a fan, or a manager, or a teammate, I would want my player to do that every time. No question.

Same as everything perceived as wrong he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Suarez and John Terry should join forces.

They tried to merge once. Suarez came out on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The blind defence of Suarez by Pool fans in any situation where he does something dodgy is as bad as the hyperbole they whinge about from other fans.

Not defending him per se, I just don't care. Stuff like that is part and parcel of football, even more so modern football and its the kind of thing that happens throughout every season. There is much more hyperbole and hysteria when Suarez is involved however.

Same as everything perceived as wrong he does.

and everyone seems to forget about the number 4 who also tried to stop the ball going into the net just in front of Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What a ridiculous booking for Sturridge. Never a yellow card!

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    What a ridiculous booking for Sturridge. Never a yellow card!

I said that at the time too

i wonder if this guy will get the same treatment as the Man City fan

386658_515729445125991_910366740_n.jpg

I trust you were in the Newcastle thread on your high horse when Demba Ba did the same thing earlier in the season ???

Because otherwise the words "axe" "to" and "Grind" come to mind.

:confused: Axe to grind over what exactly? Suarez hasn't done anything remotely controversial against my team so I'm speaking as someone who watches him regularly and also posts frequently here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The blind defence of Suarez by Pool fans in any situation where he does something dodgy is as bad as the hyperbole they whinge about from other fans.

No doubt some of those saying he did nothing wrong had a cry when Henry did it.

You are talking some sh1te.

Your post is way to general anyway:

"Pool fans", "in the eyes of some", "window lickers" etc.

Quote a post and work from there, as it is it reads like you are reading from a script.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

:confused: Axe to grind over what exactly? Suarez hasn't done anything remotely controversial against my team so I'm speaking as someone who watches him regularly and also posts frequently here.
    The very fact you've taken the time to post on the subject in the match thread of two teams neither of which you support speaks volumes about the axe you're toting mate.

If you don't have an axe and you are merely aghast at the unfairness of it all then I trust you were equally aghast at Ba's hand assisted goal and gave your views voice in the Newcastle thread/match thread.

The very fact you've taken the time to post on the subject in the match thread of two teams neither of which you support speaks volumes about the axe you're toting mate.

So this thread is just for Liverpool and Mansfield fans?

If you want your circle jerk head over to RAWK.

Xavi6 is just talking crap and then not replying to posts pulling him up on it. This is fine. Point proven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Have you been on any other teams' threads moaning about their players too? Or was this the first handball goal since you started watchign football?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Xavi6 is just talking crap and then not replying to posts pulling him up on it. This is fine. Point proven.
    Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

Have you been on any other teams' threads moaning about their players too? Or was this the first handball goal since you started watchign football?

Yeah you've got me, the only thing I hate in football is Luis Suarez :rolleyes:

I'll leave yis to be precious amongst yourselves, enjoy.

• Advertisement

lol, talk about putting words in mouths! I only asked what was this wrong doing the window lickers are defending.

You go, you go right ahead and take the moral high ground. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I could have dreamt this but weren't you a mod of this forum once?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

anyone else ever think of the theory behind all this...

Suarez goal disallowed = COMPLETELY DIFFERENT REALITY = LFC stay attacking and never concede the third goal anyway...

just a technicality that really annoys me about people whatiffing all over the shop :D

mike65 wrote: »

I could have dreamt this but weren't you a mod of this forum once?

Relevance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Relevance?

Calling people window lickers? As an ex-mod a bit of cop on regarding insulting
    language would be nice to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I see persepctive has gone out the window along with the modship....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

Calling people window lickers? As an ex-mod a bit of cop on regarding insulting
    language would be nice to see.

As an ex-Soccer mod and current other forum mod I know the rules and presume you do too given you're part of furniture.

Go right ahead and report the post if you haven't already.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

As an ex-Soccer mod and current other forum mod I know the rules and presume you do too given you're part of furniture.

Go right ahead and report the post if you haven't already.

So it's just deliberate borderline ignorant posting trying to get a response but staying on the right side of the line by just using generalised abuse at a whole fanbase? classy.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

I see persepctive has gone out the window along with the modship....

Go personal if you like, I commented on the football so would prefer to stick with that. Cheers.

copacetic wrote: »

So it's just deliberate borderline ignorant posting trying to get a response but staying on the right side of the line by just using generalised abuse at a whole fanbase? classy.

No because if you read the original post you'd see I never said 'all' or generalised.

Swing and a miss.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Go personal if you like, I commented on the football so would prefer to stick with that. Cheers.

You didnt comment on the football, nearly all your posts on this thread are attacking other fans/posters. Mostly for things no-one ever said, but you conviently failed to respond to posts pointing this out to you, while getting more ignorant and abusive.

That's usually the actions of a certain type of poster.

• Advertisement

No because if you read the original post you'd see I never said 'all' or generalised.

Swing and a miss.

Man you only reply when you see an easy opportunity to throw in a cheap shot. How anyone takes you seriously I'll never know.

Man you only reply when you see an easy opportunity to throw in a cheap shot. How anyone takes you seriously I'll never know.

Incorrect, I've posted here for more than ten years on all sorts of topics so your sweeping generalisation is just as bad as anything you're accusing me of.

What would you like me to reply to so you're appeased?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

The sad thing is Suarez fair enough handled deliberately but that's all well and good but Mansfield getting a replay would be major for them financially even though pool would obviously beat them it cost Mansfield so much.

copacetic wrote: »
    You didnt comment on the football,nearly all your posts on this thread are attacking other fans/posters. Mostly for things no-one ever said, but you conviently failed to respond to posts pointing this out to you, while getting more ignorant and abusive.

I did comment on the football considering it was an incident relevant to today, can't see what else it could have been tbh.
    That's usually the actions of a certain type of poster.

What type of poster would that be now? Presumably you've no problem saying it rather than just inferring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The sad thing is Suarez fair enough handled deliberately but that's all well and good but Mansfield getting a replay would be major for them financially even though pool would obviously beat them it cost Mansfield so much.

Liverpool were winning at the time though, the conceded a sloppy goal when they were 2 nil up. Its doubtfull it would have been conceded if there was only one gaol in the difference. Its not as if it was a draw and Suarez scored a last minute winner to put liverpool through.

I've no idea of your posting history over the last 10 years nor do I care about it. I was speaking in terms of this thread. The question I asked which you ignored can be seen below. To speed things up, if the clear as day wrong doing is the handball my reply is that I believe it was unintentional. I've looked at it a good few times now and he is moving his hand behind his back when it strikes suggesting to me he was trying to avoid handballing. You can disagree with me and that's fine but will you at least agree that it is not certain that it was intentional. If you can then defending Suarez tonight is not a case of some window lickers defending Suarez doing something clearly wrong as you so eloquently put it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Many teams can claim to lose fortunes because of bad decisions that ultimately might cost them relegation, a title, a CL spot etc. It's always sad, but until they introduce technology or other help for the officials, it'll keep on happening, and will even happen when they do introduce it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I liked today a lot as an occasion. Mansfield showed a lot of spirit in the second half despite being overwhelmingly poor in the first half. A great result for them and fair play for still being in the game up to the final minute. Better team went through. Glad to see they filled the house and unbelievable considering it's going to be their highest gate of the season, that they left 96 seats empty. Major kudos.

I'm going to keep a friendly eye-out for Mansfield Town scores from here on.

I've no idea of your posting history over the last 10 years nor do I care about it. I was speaking in terms of this thread. The question I asked which you ignored can be seen below. To speed things up, if the clear as day wrong doing is the handball my reply is that I believe it was unintentional. I've looked at it a good few times now and he is moving his hand behind his back when it strikes suggesting to me he was trying to avoid handballing. You can disagree with me and that's fine but will you at least agree that it is not certain that it was intentional. If you can then defending Suarez tonight is not a case of some window lickers defending Suarez as you so eloquently put it.

I didn't say defending him tonight was as clear as day, my comment was a general one regarding any incident involving Suarez. No matter the clarity then some people on this forum, or in general day to day life, will try to defend him. It's understandable to an extent if he plays for your club and is by far and away the best player but at some point common sense has to come into it. Some of the tackles this season have been terrible and he's been very lucky to get away with them, others have been sent off for less.

Now of course he isn't the only one, Scholes is a good example of a player who got away with plenty in his day, but we're talking about Suarez today so anything else brought up is just a deflection.

As far as I'm concerned he handled the ball deliberately today, your suggestion that he kicked the ball into the net afterwards in anticipation of a free out backs up the presence of wrongdoing. So essentially we're on the same wavelength here.

Yet you've gone to the point of saying I've an axe to grind but I still don't know what that could be over as you've not clarified. I don't go out of my way to troll anyone around here but I give opinions, take them at face value if you want. If not then just stick me on ignore or don't reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I know Lfc were winning and they deserved either way to go through as better team by far but this will have costansfield a huge amount..

Nice gesture with the 96 seats, Suarez should have owned up plain and simple

• Advertisement
Advertisement