Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another thread about running tournaments

Options
  • 06-01-2013 1:24pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, few things from yesterday.

We need to get organised about tournaments. I don't mean running more, per se, but they need to be done better and we need more people to help

Problem one: Chopper, Nutrient, and possibly others have community funds. We need to have one person who knows where all the money is, how much there is etc. I think we need to have 4 lag free monitors,4 xboxes and all the patches ideally. We need to be working towards that and it'll remove the pressure off all the pople who have to constantly bring gear.

Problem two: This is a serious one. We need someone to take responsibility for looking after the gear.

Back at SF25, an adapter for HDMI to DVI for one of our monitors went missing. I personally used 15 quid of my own money to buy one on the day and THAT had gone missing by yesterday. I think I have a right to be a bit pissed off about that. This isn't the only bit of equipment to vanish.

We need a proper manifest of our gear, and someone to look after it.

Problem three. We still need more people to help running tournaments. I personally think there should be 2 teams of people running tournaments 1 on 1 off.

To be honest, I think we need to bring back the idea of the committee, and get new people to do it. I don't want to do it myself, really I just want to make videos and play at this point. I think we do need 3 or 4 people willing to put a bit more effort into making tournaments work.

If a few people were working together to make the tournament scene work, I think it'd really make it all easier.

Thoughts plzkthanxbai.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

There should be a stickied thread on boards called "community fund" to keep a clear visible and updatable sum of community money.

I have no idea if the community fund is a tenner or 300 ATM.

This thread can just be a simple tool to keep a tab and that way after casuals, tournaments ect, anyone holding cash can just comment with something like
    "20 euro left over from today, pot was 100 & now it's 120."

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

I think that's a good idea Doyler.

Maybe also have the list of community equipment in the post too so as to let everyone know where we're at with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Right, few things from yesterday.

We need to get organised about tournaments. I don't mean running more, per se, but they need to be done better and we need more people to help

Problem one: Chopper, Nutrient, and possibly others have community funds. We need to have one person who knows where all the money is, how much there is etc. I think we need to have 4 lag free monitors,4 xboxes and all the patches ideally. We need to be working towards that and it'll remove the pressure off all the pople who have to constantly bring gear.

Problem two: This is a serious one. We need someone to take responsibility for looking after the gear.

Back at SF25, an adapter for HDMI to DVI for one of our monitors went missing. I personally used 15 quid of my own money to buy one on the day and THAT had gone missing by yesterday. I think I have a right to be a bit pissed off about that. This isn't the only bit of equipment to vanish.

We need a proper manifest of our gear, and someone to look after it.

Problem three. We still need more people to help running tournaments. I personally think there should be 2 teams of people running tournaments 1 on 1 off.

To be honest, I think we need to bring back the idea of the committee, and get new people to do it. I don't want to do it myself, really I just want to make videos and play at this point. I think we do need 3 or 4 people willing to put a bit more effort into making tournaments work.

If a few people were working together to make the tournament scene work, I think it'd really make it all easier.

Thoughts plzkthanxbai.
    i remember seeing that converter in a monitor, black 1 in a TV

I understand the frustration of buying parts because of old ones going missing, spending 10 euro on the 2 couplers out of my pocket was a needless expenditure, the old ones should have been looked after better

As for the Cp having a thread I think its a great idea

I've currently 94.50 belonging to it currently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I'm all for spending cash on community consoles, as per Doom's suggestion.

Until we reach that point, while we're still bringing gear from home, I'd like if we were specifically better at something organisational: Inventory

There were a few points yesterday where Paul and I kicked people off of casuals to run an ST or Marvel tourney match, to find the console didn't have HDR or up-to-date Marvel patches.

I suggest something like this (post-it-note or A4 sheet, I doesn't matter) is handed out to people who bring gear, and they fill it out at the sign up desk. Then they put it on top of the consoles for the rest of the day.

Consolepost-it_zps56d85f2a.png

Then the TO would have a mastersheet based off of this, like:

Consoles patched for AE: 1#, 3#, 4#
    Consoles with HDR: 1#, 2#
    etc

This would mean people "in the field" know what machines can/can't be used for various things, and also as one tournament wraps up and another needs to be started, it's easier for TOs to make the call on which to switch over.

Everyone should also say when they show up what disks they have, and this should also be documented by the TO.

It might sound small but this would have helped a lot yesterday.

Erm I think Kuro and I might have found that yesterday when cleaning up; it was in the back of one of the community monitors.

We asked around but nobody knew what it was, so we just left it plugged into the back of the monitor; which was then brought back to storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I have €140 that I forgot to give to Nutrient yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ixayek_usurper

If you guys will teach me i will gladly help out.
    And that goes for SF/Marvel/Mk/whatever tournament is on.

I have a lot of interest in it, and would love the opportunity to learn more.

My work schedule varies weekly, but, if I know a month/few weeks in advance, i can book the day off to help with whatever tournament is on.

If ever any tournie is short an x-box, feel free to msg me.
    I don't mind being without it for a day, however, if ya want ya have to come get it! :P
    I live in maynooth. 45mins by bus from city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Committee. Position Mandates. Deliverable responsibilities. Monthly or 1/4erly meetings. Basically it needs to be run like a soc. With that in place, things have the medium with which to get done imho. It must be active etc and each 'area' or 'dept' can have a pool of people..... So lets say Doom is on the committee (for example) and is responsible for video stuff, channel & Streaming when possible. he would then have 3/4 people to call up to do the **** should there be a need. Fully trained etc. Then it would be the responsibility of each committee member to do their area. It is the same people over and over again who end up doing everything. Its just getting old at this point.

... oh and congrats on winning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

I'm the same with Usurper I would love to help out more. Even though I am one of the newer guys I really want to get more involved with the scene.

At DoC I felt fairly useless just standing around and waiting to be told what to do or what to carry. I never have a busy schedule so going to tourneys or even staying late to clean up is no problem for me. So at future tourneys I will try my best to help out with as much I can but I can't promise that I am going to be the biggest help. :)

I have €140 that I forgot to give to Nutrient yesterday.

230 quid seems like a start for a new lagless monitor

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005MHMEF0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Same one we have is going for €185 with free shipping and if they won't ship to Ireland I'm sure one of our northern friends can have it delivered to them instead.

We need to sort what we're doing storage wise first though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Is there a particular reason to go for that one? I'm sure there are cheaper low-lag monitors. Sure the lagless one ladnopoka and I have is 24" and cost us about €150.

Apart from uniformity, no.

I just happened to know the exact model number so searched for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

We need to sort what we're doing storage wise first though.

I can store one monitor at my flat if needed.

Like the last round of monitors I can take initial delivery at my work address if needed; then drop them down to the Exchange.
    As long as communication is good around the time of ordering.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Erm I think Kuro and I might have found that yesterday when cleaning up; it was in the back of one of the community monitors.

We asked around but nobody knew what it was, so we just left it plugged into the back of the monitor; which was then brought back to storage.

That's great but there's supposed to be 2 of them!

Doyler01 wrote: »
    There should be a stickied thread on boards called "community fund" to keep a clear visible and updatable sum of community money.

This thread can just be a simple tool to keep a tab and that way after casuals, tournaments ect, anyone holding cash can just comment with something like

Yeah I don't mind doing this. Maybe Nutrient would be ok taking responsibility for the cash seeing as he's doing it anyway currently?

Doyler01 wrote: »

An under-looked and sensible idea
    Yeah I don't mind doing this. Maybe Nutrient would be ok taking responsibility for the cash seeing as he's doing it anyway currently?

I'd be happy to continue looking after the CP ofc.

It's a no brainer that the CP should be easy access to any and all people of the community to view, having something as incomplex as a thread is reasonable for piece of mind for guys that wish to know what the expenses are going towards/total.

Azza ran Inferno pretty much by himself for a very long time Aileen, just to point that out - he definitely knows the stress of the whole thing pretty well.

Cooler head prevailing.

I've indeed removed a load of posts, lets try and make this productive.

Anyone have a problem with it you know where my pm is.

Okay, so has anyone the time to go to the Exchange and try to find our missing equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Force_Edge

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Is there a particular reason to go for that one? I'm sure there are cheaper low-lag monitors. Sure the lagless one ladnopoka and I have is 24" and cost us about €150.

http://www.dabs.ie/category/computing,desktops-and-monitors,monitors/11109-52980000-44600000

Here's a list of monitors with a response time of less that 4 milliseconds. For 'true' lagless monitors i'd recommend a 2-3ms R-time.

example. http://www.dabs.ie/products/edge10-21-5--widescreen-1920-x-1080-2ms-vga-dvi-full-hd-speaker-led-829K.html?refs=52980000-44600000&src=3
    Literally second on the list.

2ms R-time with speakers, 21.5 inch display for 115e.
    They're also based in Ireland so delivery is less than 10e for that particular monitor.

Also just make sure all monitors run at their native resolution. Going down in resolution makes lag worse.

• Advertisement

Okay, so has anyone the time to go to the Exchange and try to find our missing equipment?

I'm stuck in Kildare for 2 weeks...

Force_Edge wrote: »
    http://www.dabs.ie/category/computing,desktops-and-monitors,monitors/11109-52980000-44600000

Here's a list of monitors with a response time of less that 4 milliseconds. For 'true' lagless monitors i'd recommend a 2-3ms R-time.

example. http://www.dabs.ie/products/edge10-21-5--widescreen-1920-x-1080-2ms-vga-dvi-full-hd-speaker-led-829K.html?refs=52980000-44600000&src=3
    Literally second on the list.

2ms R-time with speakers, 21.5 inch display for 115e.
    They're also based in Ireland so delivery is less than 10e for that particular monitor.

Also just make sure all monitors run at their native resolution. Going down in resolution makes lag worse.

It has nothing to do with response time, there are a bunch of other factors involved in determining lag.

I reckon the one you have dreddy is a good bet, it has the analog audio out for HDMI, that's really handy.

Yeah it's good, only thing is I think they're a bit big for tournaments, might be better to go for the 22" version (mine is G2420HD, presume the 22 is G2220HD or something).

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Yeah it's good, only thing is I think they're a bit big for tournaments, might be better to go for the 22" version (mine is G2420HD, presume the 22 is G2220HD or something).

An excellent point well made Dreddy, exactly the kinda post we need more of, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Please invest in some A2/A3 posters with brackets printed up, and some Sharpies onna string.

We can probably get brackets done faster, everyone can see when their next match is, and we don't have to stress out the ladies running the tourney :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

If you PM me, there's no issue with sending stuff you've ordered to me and then I'll send it on (or if someone wants to come and get it). Only thing is that it's Carrickfergus, so it's a bit on further North than if you got one of the Belfast guys to do it.

Given the distance, work and Uni, I really dunno if there's much more I can do. Just turning up is difficult enough a lot of the time.

Advertisement