Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Level needed for snooker competition

• 06-01-2013 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

Hi

What level of play do you think is needed to play in weekly flyers in Dublin?

I'm living near Terry Rogers' club in Fairview and was thinking about entering some competitions just for the game as I don't have anyone close by to play with. At the same time I've never really played competitions and while I don't mind losing I don't want to be completely out of my depth.

I used to play a bit with mates when I was younger but not much at all in last 5-10 years - had a game a few months back which was my first game for a few years. My highest break in 3 frames was 24 I think so I don't know if that's way below the standard needed?

Cheers
    L

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

loadwire wrote: »
    Hi

What level of play do you think is needed to play in weekly flyers in Dublin?

I'm living near Terry Rogers' club in Fairview and was thinking about entering some competitions just for the game as I don't have anyone close by to play with. At the same time I've never really played competitions and while I don't mind losing I don't want to be completely out of my depth.

I used to play a bit with mates when I was younger but not much at all in last 5-10 years - had a game a few months back which was my first game for a few years. My highest break in 3 frames was 24 I think so I don't know if that's way below the standard needed?

Cheers
    L

I played a lot when i was younger with my friends but got a bit bored because it was friends just having a laugh but i took it more serious and it was bit to easy for me. I started to play against the locals and a few lads i got to know. If anything i improved over all and i liked the competition and standard even it was tough. I didn't win any matches just a few frames but it was a different level and i learned a lot and improved my own game which is what i wanted to do. I got my highest break shortly after of 76. The tough part was losing and the odd thrashing but it was a great learning experience.

I've not played in 7 years. Not sure what the standard is like in Fairview but my advice from my own experience is sign up and go, you'll learn a lot more and improve your own game playing in competitions weekly and you will enjoy it if you like a bit of competition too.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

Thanks for the reply FB, think I'll go along for one or two and see how it goes anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

loadwire wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply FB, think I'll go along for one or two and see how it goes anyway.

i'd say to definitely give a go. it will only improve your game. i used to play in a lot of the fliers in breaks sc in drumcondra where the fliers comps were handycapped which gave everyone a fair chance

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mic99

give terry's a try you can't go far wrong as all the competitions are handicapped and if you can compile a break of 24 you can obviously pot a ball so give it a go you'll get plenty of encouragement in fairview from the lads they are a good bunch of guys and good luck mic99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

How does handicapping operate in snooker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Does anyone fancy a frame sometime? I haven't played in ages so I'd be brutal:pac:, I'm on the northside of the city

Advertisement