Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IPhone 5 - What GB would you recommend?

• 06-01-2013 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

My 8GB iPhone 3G has been full to the brim for a while now and it's time to upgrade. However should I skip the 16GB iphone 5 and go for the 32GB model or is this overkill? I plan on keeping the new phone for a few years (thankfully I don't suffer from "upgrade-itis" and feel I have to upgrade constantly) so will the 16GB be sufficient or should I get the 32GB?

Most of my saved data is music btw.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

If it was me and the iPhone 3G will hold out until the summer i'd wait and buy
    the iPhone 5's (or whatever it will be called) then with 32GB of memory.

The reason for this is:
    • I found the battery in the iPhone 5 not to be up to scratch, and the next one
      should be improved.
    • 16GB probably isn't enough for somebody who holds onto a phone for an extensive period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I've put off upgrading the phone for so long now as each new version didn't tempt me enough. However my trusty 3G is creaking at the seams now and is due an honourable retirement shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I had the same debate with myself, in the end I went for the 32GB one and am glad I did. I think Ive used just over 14 GB and Ive only had it since Nov! Some Apps take up a lot of space, my photos all syn from my macbook and i like having them to hand, shot some video clips.....its easy to fill up quickly :) I could definitely free up space if needed, but for now Im happy not to have to pick and choose what gets to stay on my phone. I have everything at my fingertips. Plus, I would think the resale value would be good on a 32GB as when I was buying I wanted a 4S as it would have been cheaper.....but apple only sold the 16 model online, so it looks like they discontinue the larger storage models when they introduce new phones.

Thanks for the advice. My current operator, O2, is working out the most expensive for the 32GB model by far and is in no mood for doing any sort of deal, despite the fact I've been with them 15 years. So I'll be moving to someone else soon, just have to see who's best.

Thanks for the advice. My current operator, O2, is working out the most expensive for the 32GB model by far and is in no mood for doing any sort of deal, despite the fact I've been with them 15 years. So I'll be moving to someone else soon, just have to see who's best.

O2 really only care about business users - my boss got three free 16GB iPhone 5s recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Would advise (at least) 32GB as well... All files are getting bigger, apps but with improved camera and hd video it's mainly photo/video that's eating my storage. A short film clip takes up the same space as few hundreds photos. Have the iPhone 5 (32gb) since it came out and don't/can't back up to the cloud anymore as its more than 5gb of storage (mainly camera roll) and I hardly take photos/videos...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

32gb is plenty I reckon. Even for an audio whore like me and loads of games and apps I still have about 15gb free. Plenty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

32GB is definitely the way to go. 16GB is just too small. The photos and videos you take are bigger than the ones taken with a 3G so therefore will take up more space. Apps are also getting bigger and bigger

I've been leaning towards the 32GB but the reps in the various mobile shops are pushing the 16GB (because no one wants them???). Didn't really want to change to another phone provider as practically everyone I know is on O2 and so my calls to them are free. However O2 are not only dearer for the phone but also for their monthly price plans

Finally, my brother got a 16GB model free recently from O2 when he informed them he was moving network. He always gets the freebies:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Told O2 i was moving networks they didn't care and was with them 15 years. Now with Meteor 199 euro 32 gb iPhone 45 euro a month and 5gb of data O2 at 45 a month 700mb data so moved happy with coverage so far other than no roaming for 2 months. Would say 32gb is the way to go had 16gb iPhone 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I have over 35gb of music. I have a 64gb iPhone. My next phone will be a 16gb. Get iTunes match if it's mainly music you have.

Ok bit of a hassle having to download your albums all the time. But You can keep a good few on it. But If your in wifi alot. It's not a huge problem. I admit its very handy carrying your full library. But hey you can only listen to 1 song at a time. That's the way I look at it.

I just can no longer Justify the price of a 64gb iPhone anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I went for 16gb model, which I am regretting a little bit.

Don't get me wrong, the phone is fantastic, but I had to subscribe to iTunes Match due to my expanding music collection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I only put a couple of music playlists on my iPhone and I have never needed anything more than 16gb. With Spotify and cloud services etc, larger size storage isnt need for most people IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Only you can really answer that question. 16GB is more than enough for me but for someone else it may not even come close to being enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

plumped for the 64gb myself.

only have 8 gig free

I'll go for the 32GB as I'll keep the phone for a few years. When's the iPhone 8 coming out btw?:p

Just have to decide on a new phone provider now. Jeez trying to compare their price plans is a head wrecker??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I'll go for the 32GB as I'll keep the phone for a few years. When's the iPhone 8 coming out btw?:p

Just have to decide on a new phone provider now. Jeez trying to compare their price plans is a head wrecker??

Well if you plan on keeping it a few years and have a bit of cash handy it works out cheaper to buy from apple and then go on a sim only plan. I'm in the uk at the moment and bought from apple, bill with 3 is only 12 pounds a month, unlimited data. Will def work out cheaper than me paying 40 or more a month to Vodafone or whoever in the long term. Plus if you move abroad or go travelling you can easily swap as the phone is unlocked

Advertisement