Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Monitor/Graphic Card Query

Options
  • 06-01-2013 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

Probably a simple one here but I'm working on an inspiron 545 desktop running 64 bit windows 7 and I've set it up with a splitter to attach a Dell monitor and an LG Flatron monitor.

Originally the LG wasn't displaying anything but I've changed the resolution so it's now showing up.

Here lies the problem - the monitor, whist picking up a signal, is showing a duplicate of the main dell monitor, but it isn't showing up in the display settings in order for me to change it to an extension monitor for the dell. Nor is it showing up in device manager after scanning for hardware changes.

I've downloaded the latest graphic driver from Dells site, rebooted, changed the refresh rates etc. and to no avail.

I'm wondering if there's something simple I'm forgetting that could allow it to show up and allow me to use it how I want or is it that my graphics card (Intel G33/G31) is simply not good enough to provide me with the functionality I want :confused:

Appreciate any input!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

That's what a splitter does. The Dell page says it has a PCI-E x16 slot, a cheap dual head graphics card would get you what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

Usually with Dell's the splitter is used with a PCI-Express graphics card, not the onboard graphics which im guessing is what you have the splitter plugged in to. Hazard a guess that the external graphics only has the power to drive two independent monitors and not in the case of the onboard graphics. I may be wrong but Post the Dell service tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

platinums wrote: »
    Usually with Dell's the splitter is used with a PCI-Express graphics card, not the onboard graphics which im guessing is what you have the splitter plugged in to. Hazard a guess that the external graphics only has the power to drive two independent monitors and not in the case of the onboard graphics. I may be wrong but Post the Dell service tag.

Bang on - PCO Express G33/ G31 graphics card

Service tag is 97Z8H4J

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

To follow up on this, I purchased an Asus geoforce 210 1GB DDR3 graphics card for the PC, put it in, installed the drivers etc. from the CD provided with it.

Still no good - I can't get the monitors to work together either

a) With a splitter or
    b) With on monitor in the VGA slot and the other in the DVI

It's strange - I can get the wallpaper showing on both screens but the PC is unresponsive after that - I'm unable to change the resolution or see the taskbar/task manager etc.

Additionally my Belkin wireless adapter USB won't work when the graphics card is in.

I've yet to google the issue in case it's something simple but my initial thoughs are that the PSU isn't strong enough to support the graphics card.

Would welcome any suggestions here

Advertisement