Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eye cream - scam or necessity?

• 06-01-2013 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if you think an eyecream is needed as one approaches a certain age? I'm 32 and usually just use regular face moisturiser. Is the eye cream thing a big scam or do you believe this area of face requires different attention? Also what do you consider the best out there (on a budget -no creme de la mer) if you do believe its a necessity.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Anyone any input?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I saw this before http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/eye-care/_/you-dont-need-an-eye-cream-and-heres-why#What I read a book she wrote where she analyses all the research in cosmetics and comes to conclusions. However, there probably isn't one correct answer on this one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I have an eye cream from Bobbi Brown which I've started using regularly; I bought it when I was feeling insecure about aging, and I'm only 25 :rolleyes: I haven't noticed any discernible difference, to be perfectly honest, but I spent good money on it so I'll keep using it!

Honestly, I think diet and general lifestyle play a bigger role in combating the aging process more than cosmetics, but maybe someone else has had a different experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Im 27 and was just beginning to notice some fine laughter lines around my eyes before the summer. I bought a Boots eye cream http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Vitamin-E-SPF15-eye-cream-15ml_955892/?CAWELAID=352132686 just to see. Now, after about 3months I still couldn't see any difference so stopped using it and wow about two weeks later I realised that yes it was making a massive difference! Lines just seemed to appear out of nowhere. So I have been using it ever since and now have my sister using it too!

I forgot to pack it over Christmas and noticed a similar thing. To be honest I do think its all down to hydration but I like what this very affordable option offers me.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Thanks for the replies..I do think diet and healthy living are the major contributors alright..external moisturiser also seems to be key but I doubt a different one to that used on the other parts of the face is necessary..maybe how it's applied (tapping gently with ring finger) may also make a difference..I actually have that boots cream but never used it for long periods..may hold off buying more expensive creams and use this along with my kiehls ultra facial moisturiser used on rest of face :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Used eye cream since I was about 30. 40 now and no wrinkles. Think it's just as important as moisturiser.

I use either Clinique or Dermalogica - not the cheapest but I've had the Clinique one I'm currently using for about 9 months and have about one more week out of it.

BTW, neck cream is the new eye cream for over 40s

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

Ya i think myself that eye cream makes a difference. The skin around the eyes is thinner and more delicate than the rest of the face and i think it gets hydrated very quickly . I got the clinique laser focus one before Christmas and i really think it has made a difference in just under a month. Eye cream tends to be expensive but you only use a tiny bit of it so it lasts ages!! ive been using all brands of eye cream and even this doesn't do much for my bags it has softened out a few wrinkles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I think it's important to use something on the eye area but dedicated eye creams are a scam really - it's usually the same formula as your face cream, but it's weaker as they contains less active ingredients (as not to irritate the skin around the eye) and they come in smaller containers, while typically costing more.
    Just use your regular face cream (unless you're allergic, in which case scrap the above and use a dedicated gentle eye cream).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hmplantchick

I am an Avon rep and a lot of my customers use the anew eye cream and say it really works its about 25 to purchase but well worth it. Ask your local Avon rep about it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Na'h its a money making racket, chicks will buy anything to keep themselves looking younger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I was using one (dr nick lowe anti dark circles) didnt know if it worked a lot I knew it made some difference but wow started using it and realised yes it does make a huge difference! brill stuff I will be getting more of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Na'h its a money making racket, chicks will buy anything to keep themselves looking younger.

Have you personal experience of using eye creams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

mood wrote: »
    Have you personal experience of using eye creams?

Yes, I have over the years on and off but have stopped using them for good recently. They had the opposite effect on me, so I’d be very cautious for anyone using them. I’m 37…male, I guess I started experimenting with them when I hit 30.

I first used the Garnier roll on, after a week of using it underneath my eyes started pulsating. That lasted for quite a while so that went into the bin. I’ve used a few different creams, let me say I was careful applying them and sought advice from females beforehand. I only used a touch sparingly, it seemed to eventually seep into my eye, giving my eyes a bulging effect underneath.

I had to eventually go to the eye and ear hospital to get a bulge removed. I never suffered from dark circles as does no one in my family. I ended up looking like a racoon on smack. Since I’ve stopped applying this expensive worthless shíte my eyes have more or less resumed normal service.

Eating healthy, drinking plenty of water and quitting smoking has help tremendously.

Advertisement