Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohemian FC Talk/Transfers/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Well that settles that. It's definitely convincing that we can grind out results like against Shels and UCD, and even staying in it in games like Rovers. We won't go down if we continue to perform like this but we definitely have to keep one eye behind us.

Nangle played great and I'd definitely start him tomorrow. There's no communication in the defence. Maybe it's the keeper, maybe it's the inexperience or maybe it's the lack of Heary. I think it's a bit of all three.

I don't think it's all the keeper's fault but there are some times he should have come and collect. Similarly there were times when Pender should have kicked it in to row z but he waited for the keeper to collect a ball that wasn't his and far too many times did the ball bounce without anyone going for it. Everyone think it's someone else's.

Derry on Friday should be interesting. I'd definitely settle for a draw. If the pitch improves we should get some serious results in Dalyer.

I'd go for

Delaney
    Pender----Lopes----Paisley
    Byrne
    Mulcahy

Traynor
    McEvoy
    Buckley
    Nangle
    Devanney

I'd make a few changes if players are fit, for instance if Heary or Lyons are fit they must play!
    Buckley shows great support when playing wide right and he brings defensive qualities to the team. Moore will be an impact sub if needed. He hasn't played 90 minutes this year so perhaps he doesn't have 90 minutes in him or perhaps he's carrying a knock or perhaps a player who does as much running as him isn't suited to just part time football.

There's a degree of depth to the team which is good to see but I'd really like to see Hanaphy and one or two others play. I thought Murray played well against Rovers but the pitch did not suit him at all! Perhaps Michael Barker, Andy Mulligan and Dara Reynor too in the upcoming games.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Supposedly there'll be live commentary here - http://www.live95fm.ie/Home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Lucan Bohs wrote: »
    Supposedly there'll be live commentary here - http://www.live95fm.ie/Home

Excellent stuff. Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Vital 3 points last night. Bray's first goal was a freak. Looked like we were never gonna get a break. Good 15 minute spell in the second half with 2 goals put the points on our side.

Lineswoman was horrendous IMO. At least 3 times she flagged Bohs offside which was never the case. Throwing the flag up when not even in line with play.

Got a free woolly hat coming through the members gate. Nice gesture and well needed. Cold windy night in Phibsboro.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Lineswoman was horrendous IMO. At least 3 times she flagged Bohs offside which was never the case. Throwing the flag up when not even in line with play.

She was terrible alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Win in Richmond and you go above Rovers..

dfx- wrote: »
    Win in Richmond and you go above Rovers..

I realised that last night and got excited. I can't see us getting anything there though.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Game on Monday is down for a 5.45 ko on extratime, anyone know why? Won't be able to make it as a result.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Game on Monday is down for a 5.45 ko on extratime, anyone know why? Won't be able to make it as a result.

tomorrow, or next week? Next week is a Bank Holiday.

tomorrow, or next week? Next week is a Bank Holiday.
    Tomorrow

• Advertisement

Tomorrow

Weird, could be something to do with the sunlight.

Or extratime could be wrong.

Down as 7.45 on our site actually

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Maybe there's some cock-up between 17.45 and 7.45. It wouldn't make any sense to have it before 6 of a school day.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Don't know whether to head along tomorrow. College exam at 9 on Tuesday morning. :(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10034054/Liverpool-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-boosted-by-arrival-of-two-new-scouts-from-Manchester-City.html

Kevin Hunt joins Liverpool as a scout! Wish him the very best!

On the pitch, Stephen Paisley and Niall Forrester have both left the club.

I suppose I'd like a striker and centre back. Someone like Aidan Price would be ideal at centre back. Absolute tank of a man! He could teach Lopes a lot and never goes hiding, well at least he didn't when he was with us.

Up front, I'd glady take a player who doesn't do much but who could score a few goals or can at least link up well. Even a Neale Fenn type player would be nice. Holds it up and sets up chances for Lyons or Devanney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

BOHtox wrote: »

As a Liverpool fan I can honestly say I'm delighted he has joined us . He was the best player to ever spend a good chunk of his career in the LOI .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10034054/Liverpool-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-boosted-by-arrival-of-two-new-scouts-from-Manchester-City.html

Kevin Hunt joins Liverpool as a scout! Wish him the very best!

On the pitch, Stephen Paisley and Niall Forrester have both left the club.

I suppose I'd like a striker and centre back. Someone like Aidan Price would be ideal at centre back. Absolute tank of a man! He could teach Lopes a lot and never goes hiding, well at least he didn't when he was with us.

Up front, I'd glady take a player who doesn't do much but who could score a few goals or can at least link up well. Even a Neale Fenn type player would be nice. Holds it up and sets up chances for Lyons or Devanney.

Scratch that! I want Aidan Downes back :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Gareth Coughlan supposed to be signing for you.

Looked decent before Quigley broke his leg. Think he was with Dundalk last season.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Looked decent before Quigley broke his leg. Think he was with Dundalk last season.

What position does he play?

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »

He had bags of potential that lad. Youth Ireland player wasn't he?

What position does he play?

Right wing as far as I know. That'd leave us with a lot of wingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Scratch that! I want Aidan Downes back :cool:
    Where is Downes now i know he went to Australia but then came he's not with any league club and looked like a decent striker with us.

I remember seeing Coughlan make his debut against us at the Carlisle Grounds a few years ago. Looked a good prospect and caused Powell a lot of problems.

The leg break when he was at Pats obviously would've set him back a long way but hopefully he still has something to offer. I'd have thought he could be a better option on the right than Devaney or Wilson.

I remember seeing Coughlan make his debut against us at the Carlisle Grounds a few years ago. Looked a good prospect and caused Powell a lot of problems.

The leg break when he was at Pats obviously would've set him back a long way but hopefully he still has something to offer. I'd have thought he could be a better option on the right than Devaney or Wilson.

Remember we signed Downes as a winger but put him straight up front?

Perhaps that could happen. Maybe Coughlan, Devanney and Wilson I'm sure COULD play up front if we needed them to. I'm only counting a squad of 18-20 depending on who you count as you will actually play. So Coughlan mightn't be a terrible signing. We definitely need a centre back and striker though. Not sure why Hanaphy hasn't gotten his game tbh. Not saying he'll be a season changer but he knows where the net is and mightn't be the worst option to play a few games.

Remember we signed Downes as a winger but put him straight up front?

Perhaps that could happen. Maybe Coughlan, Devanney and Wilson I'm sure COULD play up front if we needed them to. I'm only counting a squad of 18-20 depending on who you count as you will actually play. So Coughlan mightn't be a terrible signing. We definitely need a centre back and striker though. Not sure why Hanaphy hasn't gotten his game tbh. Not saying he'll be a season changer but he knows where the net is and mightn't be the worst option to play a few games.

Hanaphy has apparently been unavailable due to work commitments.

Hanaphy has apparently been unavailable due to work commitments.

That's a pity but a reality in this climate. We can't expect people to give up their living to play a bit of football a few times a week. It's happened to Mulcahy, Paisley, Niall Forrestor and now Hanaphy. Two of whom have left. A few others are juggling full-time college and work too I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

I'm not liking missing all these games. Missed away to Drogs, away to UCD and at home to bray. It's looking unlikely I can get to Cork on Friday too. Only was at the away to Pats in between. Before that I had only missed Cork away. Stupid college exams!!!

Shocking result last night but if anything it could be the reality check we needed. We were never going to finish mid-table. We were never going to qualify for Europe and we're not going to do well in any of the cups. If we finish one point off the relegation zone I'll be delighted.

A few signings in July along with a better pitch at Dalyer and at least we should pick up a few points at home.

Just hoping Rovers don't pick up some form now while we're in the pits!

We're in trouble big time. Wasn't there tonight as I was working but I believe we were awful. We really need a leader from somewhere. When Heary's not there it seems we're missing a huge part of the team.

I'm hoping we sign one or two in July as well. We seem to be short in defence and seem to lack a bit of creativity in the middle. We're really missing the players we lost last year. I'm not complaining that we shouldn't have lost them or we should have signed better replacements but it has to be fixed in July before it's too late.

There are some positives however. We're 7 points off 12th and we're only 1 point behind the two others above us in what will probably be the bottom 4. It's a mini league down there. Even Cork may be dragged down there. Don't panic.

Keep calm and carry on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

We're in trouble big time. Wasn't there tonight as I was working but I believe we were awful. We really need a leader from somewhere. When Heary's not there it seems we're missing a huge part of the team.

I'm hoping we sign one or two in July as well. We seem to be short in defence and seem to lack a bit of creativity in the middle. We're really missing the players we lost last year. I'm not complaining that we shouldn't have lost them or we should have signed better replacements but it has to be fixed in July before it's too late.

There are some positives however. We're 7 points off 12th and we're only 1 point behind the two others above us in what will probably be the bottom 4. It's a mini league down there. Even Cork may be dragged down there. Don't panic.

Keep calm and carry on...

Upcoming home game against Shels will test those calm levels.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Upcoming home game against Shels will test those calm levels.

Big time. Hoping to take time off work to travel away to Sligo. Not expecting too much but even if we nicked a point it'd be great!

Home to Shels then is a big game. I can't even remember the last time we won tbh. Then away to Derry. We only have 4 games in July so hopefully that will give us some time to improve on the training pitch. We really need to start taking points at home. The thing about our style of play is that we can be left easily exposed. It's all great going for a goal when you have a good defence but we seem to be caught out a few times. And when goals are hard to come by it leaves us open for defeats. I'd rather we stick to our style and be a team of hatchet men who play 9/10 men behind the ball and hoof it up to the big man, despite the fact that that system could pick you up more points.

Bohs will be fine

UCD and Bray are going through their good patch of the season. McDonnell at Shels is the unknown factor right now. He was asking the bench for the players' names tonight, but there were signs that he was righting some problems.

• Advertisement

It's really worrying to go from a performance so full of heart against Rovers last Friday, to utterly conceding the game from the very off tonight. I suppose maybe the fixture pile up is having an effect, but it seems to keep happening.

What can you say when words are not enough?

No passion from the players tonight. While we create nothing going forward it was individual mistakes that cost us goals. Heary was shocking for the first two and I was still drowning my sorrows in the bar for the third. Didn't think it was a red or a penalty either. Suppose that kind of evens it out. Definitely need one or two players in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bohs playing Bradford in a friendly at Dalyer on 20th of July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Might actually head along to that.

Always kind of had a soft spot for Bradford. The crowds they were pulling in L2 were phenomenal, coupled with the fact that a large proportion of people from Bradford actually follow Leeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Is the game against Drogheda still on? Haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise except for the whole bucketloads of rain thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

It wasn't really a prolonged period of rain so should be ok

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hi guys, might be heading to Dalymount for the friendly today.

Where can I park near the ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

awec wrote: »
    Hi guys, might be heading to Dalymount for the friendly today.

Where can I park near the ground?

Was that game against Glenavon? How did it go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

eire4 wrote: »
    Was that game against Glenavon? How did it go?
    2-1 to Glenavon here's a write up from the forum
    All u19s played against a very experienced
    Glenavon side which included,Mark Farren,Guy
    Bates,William Murphy and Gary Hamilton,they
    where a credit to the club,never out of their dept and
    deserved a draw at least,played some lovely
    football,thought Jake Hyland had an excellent game along with center half Paul Andrews,Eoin Rhodes
    scored our goal,gave experienced William Murphy a
    few problems,they lost their way after what seemed
    a serious injury to Dale Flynn,and credit to the
    Glenavan players for their concern,especially
    Murphy. 1 Jake Menton 2 Dale Flynn 3 Reece Duffy 4 Arron
    Henderson 5 Paul Andrews 7 Paddy Collins 8 Jake
    Hyland 9 Eoin Rhodes 10 Adam Kelly 11 Fionn
    Reilly 16 Alex Scully subs (all played )16 Gary
    Nathan 15 Jack Carey 19 Ryan Nolan 23 Josh
    Kennedy 25 Mark Osborne 27 Daniel Ball Goals Glenavon Guy Bates.11min...John
    Connoly.86...Bohs Eoin Rhodes.31

Thanks for that. Sounds like a good run out for the younger lads.

• Advertisement

Very poor again on Friday in a must win game.

A real chance we will go down this year and with the current financial issues we may never get back up.:(

Caretaker manager who doesn't even have his badges. Major worrying times ahead. Could kill the club if we go down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Very poor again on Friday in a must win game.

A real chance we will go down this year and with the current financial issues we may never get back up.:(

Caretaker manager who doesn't even have his badges. Major worrying times ahead. Could kill the club if we go down

Weren't you the lad who laughed at me when I suggested Bohs might be anywhere near the relegation battle?

CSF wrote: »
    Weren't you the lad who laughed at me when I suggested Bohs might be anywhere near the relegation battle?

Not me pal, you can check my posts if needed. Any decent Bohs fan won't deny the trouble we are in.

I don't mind dropping down a league tbh but I don't think club could survive if we went down.

I don't mind dropping down a league
    The First Division is a hellhole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lucan Bohs wrote: »
    We've the potential to be pushing for 5th ( Setanta Cup). Certainly we should be aiming to do better than your team of many journeymen ;)
    My apologies. It was this silly bugger.

Are we a little more confident about staying up?

Friday August 30 St Pat’s Ath v Bohemians - Already taken a point out there

Saturday September 7 Bohemians v Sligo Rovers - Took a point off them in Sligo already this year

Friday September 20 Shelbourne v Bohemians - Our away form is better than our home. Must win game! We already won out there and our squad is better now than it was.

Friday September 27 Bohemians v Derry City - Don't have much hope for this game. Derry are a top side who we never seem to be able to beat, even when we were good. Anything here is a bonus

POSTPONED TBC Limerick v Bohemians - They beat us twice already this year but we were unlucky to lose both. We should have beaten them away. 1 nil up and they were down to 10. At home we lost by a single goal to nil. Could have gone either way. We're definitely due something from here.

Saturday October 12th Bohemians v Dundalk - Similarly to Derry I can't see us taking anything off these.

Friday October 18 Bohemians v Bray Wanderers - Must win again. We beat them twice already and we must do it again!

Friday October 25 Drogheda Utd v Bohemians - points here for the taking.

I think we could get 10 points from the last 8 games. I think we could get more, could get less. But 10 is definitely achievable. Will it be enough? pfft

I'm still happy with the win against Rovers. Take each game as it comes and see how other results go! We were 10/11 to finish last with PP a few weeks ago. Can't see us anything like that now! TBWRA

Would yous feel confident if yous finished in the playoff? I don't see Bohs finishing bottom (I think that'll be Bray) but possibly second bottom depending on how Shels and UCD go.

I think we can push on yet. I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that it'll be Bray + either us or Shels. I don't think Drogheda and Limerick are out of it. Cork perhaps are just about out of it but can still get dragged in. About 30 points should be enough to avoid the play-offs. If you look at out form under Heary and Shels' form under J Mac I don't think it's too different to the teams a few places above them. So games with them 4/5 teams could go either way. So it could happen that some other team could get dragged down. UCD too of course.

With regards to the play-off it's hard to tell. I haven't seen any first division football this year so I can't judge its level. I can't imagine there's too much difference between us and Athlone for instance. I still think we're a better team when the occasion is there though, as seen on Friday.

Would yous feel confident if yous finished in the playoff? I don't see Bohs finishing bottom (I think that'll be Bray) but possibly second bottom depending on how Shels and UCD go.

I wouldn't be happy finishing in the playoff place (if you offered it to be before we beat Rovers I may have said otherwise), but I think we'd be favourites going into a game against Longford or Waterford. I haven't seen them play, but on paper we should be good enough.

I think Shels and UCD would be favourites also in such scenario.

• Advertisement

I think Bohs would be ok if they ended up in a playoff against Longford or Waterford. Its all still very tight though so anything really is possible from staying up altogether to finishing bottom and going down. Hopefully the win against Rovers is a positive turning point that sets Bohs off on a good run.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement