Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear router from UPC

Options
  • 06-01-2013 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

Very briefly, this router needs to be rebooted frequently for Wireless. The cabled part works perfectly.

Anyone had these issues?

Is it worthwhile investing in a new one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

Firstly, check if there are any updates for the current firmware available. Is it just one device you have connected wirelessly that loses connection causing to reboot or do you have multiple devices connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Firstly, check if there are any updates for the current firmware available. Is it just one device you have connected wirelessly that loses connection causing to reboot or do you have multiple devices connected?

I have 3 wired and 2/3 wireless. I looked up the site for a firmware upgrade and the latest available dates from 17/02/2009 which seems a bit ancient. What the upgrade addresses is:
    • NTP static IP address issue.
    • Scheduling fail when set the scheduling rule overnight.

Would it be worthwhile to upgrade the firmware for this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

bette wrote: »
    I have 3 wired and 2/3 wireless. I looked up the site for a firmware upgrade and the latest available dates from 17/02/2009 which seems a bit ancient. What the upgrade addresses is:
    • NTP static IP address issue.
    • Scheduling fail when set the scheduling rule overnight.

Would it be worthwhile to upgrade the firmware for this?

Worth trying alright. You could also try installing DD-WRT on it if it's supported which is a better firmware overall.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

yoyo wrote: »
    Worth trying alright. You could also try installing DD-WRT on it if it's supported which is a better firmware overall.

Nick

Thanks for that. Will try the upgrade first. Tomorrow like.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You could also check to see if there are other wifi networks around you which might be on the same channel as your own network. If so change away from the one you are on.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

Theres a setting on a router i used before, can't remember the setting name: it disconnects and forces wireless clients to reconnect after a specific time interval. If its time interval is set too low, some machines wouldn't reconnect.

Advertisement