Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Controller mod chips

Options
  • 06-01-2013 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭

I was having a look around the web for a clip-on keypad for the ps3 controller and ya know when you get the list of search results, there were an awful lot of links to 'mod chips' for ps3 or Xbox controllers, basically mods that enable super rapid fire and LOTS of other options that would give you an edge in FPS gameplay, what are your thoughts on these things and do you think they're widely used? I have started to wonder in some online matches.. Personally I think if you use them you're cheating, simple as that. I know that people say ''well you can use them offline and switch them off when you go play online'', (you can mess with settings and switch them on or off in a separate menu) but who the hell is gonna do that when they have their favourite setup to win? The very fact that some of these are advertised as 'undetectable in online play' soon puts paid to the notion people wouldn't use this (considerable) advantage in online play. So.. I wonder about the guys who use these, do they feel like winners when they trash ya? Coz I wouldn't if I were you. If you gotta have an unfair advantage to be able to win games, you're a less than average shooter and should maybe take up knitting or something, so FUCK OFF.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

From eHow.com:

Common Mods

One of the most common mods for PS3 controllers is the rapid fire mod. Rapid fire mods allow a button to press faster than human speed for faster controls -- mostly used in shooters with the "Fire" button. Other controller mods allow you to automatically detect enemies and shoot, handle reloading in shooters automatically and change shooting rules in the environment, such as drop and shoot.

Controller Mods and Legal Issues
    Controller mods are legal -- there is nothing wrong with taking a controller that you own and making changes to it for your personal use. Think back to the Super Nintendo and the third-party controllers with the "Turbo" function, which pressed a button automatically and faster than humanly possible. Just as these were legal to purchase in the store, the same applies to modern console controllers -- though you'll only find them sold online. While there's nothing wrong with using these controllers in single-player offline games, using your modded controller in a multi-player online game may violate the PlayStation Network's Terms of Use, which CONSIDERS A PLAYER USING MODDED CONTROLLERS AS CHEATING.

ETHICAL ISSUES

While there's no legal issues regarding your modified PS3 controller, it's unethical to use the modded controller while playing an online game. Using a modded controller against other players to gain an edge isn't fair play, is considered a form of cheating and isn't likely to gain you a lot of friends on the online gaming circuit. Most gamers consider the use of modded controllers as cheating and will report known cheaters to the PlayStation Network.

BAN RISKS

Although many controllers are sold as undetectable, certain behavior red flags you as a cheater to other players. If you're reported to the PlayStation Network as a cheater, there's a chance you can be banned from online play with that PlayStation Network ID. PlayStation Network does ban for cheating, which it describes as "Doing or utilizing anything that gives the player a greater advantage than is intended for normal game play." Furthermore, certain games can ban you from their services for cheating. In August 2010, Rockstar Games banned known cheaters from "Red Dead Redemption" on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

There are ways to spot use of a modded controller, mainly they are the hail of bullets you get from sniper rifles (yeah, lol) and guns that would usually give two or three round bursts. Modded users like the drop shot, where they drop to the ground to shoot, prone, automatically on pressing the fire button. Sometimes you can detect a two shot pattern but really really fast, as in two shots stop, two shots stop, but superfast. Don't confuse modded with just plain fast though, or double tap. Some people are just faster than you. You should be able to tell a mod though. I have the rapid fire attachment on my gun in Black Ops but with my mother of all lag problems it'll still come across as thud...thud... thud...etc so I'll never get confused with someone using a modded controller lol. I have a satellite broadband connection, all I can get here in the sticks, so lag will always be a problem for me, but not so much so that I'd want to cheat. At least the kills I do get are down to my skills as a player, not a controller mod.

*cough* I gather you're all using modded controllers.

*runs like fuck*

Advertisement