Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: Alarm keypad unresponsive post power cut

Options
  • 06-01-2013 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Perhaps those in the know might be able to assist me please? It appears,judging from the status of my computers when I got up, that I had some sort of power cut overnight and my apartment alarm keypad is now unresponsive to any input.
    • Its an "Alarm Lock ALC8" system for which I have the manual (about 20 years old).
    • The single digit 'Zone' readout is displaying a steady "-" (hyphen). There are multiple possible readouts listed in the manual but this is not one of them.
    • The three lights on the pad labelled 'Armed', 'Ready' and 'Bypass' are unlit.
    • There has been no sound emitted at any stage
    • Any and all possible key presses/hold-downs have no effect whatsoever

Picture attached of its current state. I know nothing about alarm systems and nor does my landlord (Its installation predates his ownership of the property). Any suggestions other than call an engineer out?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

My First suggestion would be to power it down completely & power it back up on mains power only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Thanks for the response. However, I have no idea how I would go about powering the system down/up completely. There is no mention of this procedure in the manual. The only controls are the buttons on the keypad which are unresponsive. There is a large white box with the same Alarm Lock logo on it in the next room beside the apartment's fuse box but it has no switches. When you say mains only, are you implying that the the standby battery in the keypad (mentioned in the manual) should be disconnected? Any elaboration would be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Open up the other big box and disconnect the battery and mains . Wait about a minute and power it all back up. Be careful with mains power .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Be careful with mains power .
    Indeed! I think I shall be calling upon a professional; I have no desire to fly across the room.:) Thanks anyway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

xper wrote: »
    Indeed! I think I shall be calling upon a professional; I have no desire to fly across the room.:) Thanks anyway.

Is there not a fused spur beside the main panel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

xper wrote: »

Turning off the mains in your home should turn off the power to your control panel.

If your not comfortable doing this then don't.. Better to be safe that sorry :)

Advertisement