Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMDI

Options
  • 06-01-2013 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Can someone please recommend a good 'middle of the road' HDMI cable please..

2 meter HDMI is what we want to use.
    What is the latest version ? 1.5?

Any advise is appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Pink16 wrote: »
    Can someone please recommend a good 'middle of the road' HDMI cable please..

2 meter HDMI is what we want to use.
    What is the latest version ? 1.5?

Any advise is appreciated :)

As cheap as you can get really, digital is digital. A €500 cable will work the same as a €2 one. The only thing that may happen the cheaper ones is the are more fragile, but I have a cheapo one thats fine.
    Think pound shops do them, failing that adverts, ebay etc. Think Tesco do cheap cables on occasion. It really is the cheaper the better for them (in the sense that your wasting your money paying over the odds for a digital cable)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I got a set of HDMIs in Aldi - i think they were 2m - can't remember the price but they were less than a tenner for the pair

AFIK HDMI versions refer to the protocol put across the cable rather than the physical cable or ports.

Also agree on the cheap being as good as the expensive:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20056502-1/why-all-hdmi-cables-are-the-same/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

€1.50 for 1 in Dealz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

if you can't find the length you want in the €2 shop, amazon can be handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It's digital, it's ones and noughts, it either works or it doesn't, there is no in between. In English this means there is no difference in picture quality between a cheap and an expensive cable. Just make sure you don't buy a shabby cable that will fall apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Get a high speed one on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Even PC World have accepted the act that people aren't prepared to be ripped off anymore. Yes, they do still have the fancy brands because there's always a sucker who will fall for the BS sales pitch (e.g. 'aim to spend 15% of the value of the TV on cables' :eek:) but if you look close enough there are 'no brand' cables on the racks as well.

I bought a 3m cable in Tesco for my PC for about 19.99

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It'll only make a difference if you plan on watching your tv from the other end of a field or if you plan on pushing the connection to its absolute limit OP, so cheap cheap cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

But don't forget that unlike the Blu-Ray player cable, you will be connecting and disconnecting that HDMI cable multiple times and you do not want either of the plugs to fall apart so don't go too cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pink16

Great thanks a million!

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    Get a high speed one on ebay

No such thing, High speed HDMI applies to the player and the TV, the cable makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

PogMoThoin wrote: »

No such thing, High speed HDMI applies to the player and the TV, the cable makes no difference.
    It could do for future proofing! 3D and 4k resolution etc. Might make sense if the cable was being expensively buried behind the wall for instance. I suspect this isn't the case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭blade1

PogMoThoin wrote: »

I thought there is standard and hi speed.
    Hi speed for 1080 and beyond.
    Also better for blu-ray.
    I've bought about six hi speed ones.
    I think I paid around €3 each for them so no big deal.

High speed HDMI refers to the connecting devices. A cable rated for HDMI 1.3 will most likely do HDMI 1.4 without any issues. It's just a buzz word to sell HDMI cables that use Cat 7
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/Cat_7.html

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pink16

TheChizler wrote: »
    It could do for future proofing! 3D and 4k resolution etc. Might make sense if the cable was being expensively buried behind the wall for instance. I suspect this isn't the case though.

Yes they are being hidden in the wall

Advertisement