Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Palestine" - A dirty word for the BBC

• 06-01-2013 6:21pm
    Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭

Was just listening to a British-Iranian rapper Mic Righteous perform live in a BBC Radio program via Youtube.

The ever-neutral BBC censored out the word "Palestine" like it was a vulgar term, Incredible.

It comes between 2,45 and 3.15.

To put this into context the same network and the same host on the same show were happy to broadcast a different British rapper K Koke glorify armed robbery and gun violence in a rap dedicated to his gun.

From 3.30 on.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

They should have censored the whole lot and saved us from that crap :pac:

What exactly is the conspiracy though?

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    They should have censored the whole lot and saved us from that crap :pac:

What exactly is the conspiracy though?
    That the BBC silenced the expression of an artist on one of their shows and that this censoring by the BBC, which turned "Free Palestine" into Free Pah...." was biased and politically motivated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Oops, looks like they forgot to censor it a few thousand times

J7L57.jpg

Conspiracy debunked, next please..

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Oops, looks like they forgot to censor it a few thousand times

Conspiracy debunked, next please..
    I don't know how to respond tbh. It's clear that you don't understand what it means to debunk as you certainly have not debunked anything. A for effort though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I think he's saying that the word Palestine isn't censored and has shown a search for Palestine with some results on the NBC website

seannash wrote: »
    I think he's saying that the word Palestine isn't censored and has shown a search for Palestine with some results on the NBC website
    Which would be fine if the thread involved the BBC never having mentioned Palestine, in any context, ever. I don't believe that anyone of a sound mind could actually draw that conclusion. I don't believe that Jonny drew that conclusion. Either way his so-called claims of debunking are absolute nonsense.

Which would be fine if the thread involved the BBC never having mentioned Palestine, in any context, ever. I don't believe that anyone of a sound mind could actually draw that conclusion. I don't believe that Jonny drew that conclusion. Either way his so-called claims of debunking are absolute nonsense.

Unless it happens again, there isnt much to debunk. It's a one off rather than a conspiracy. If it happens again, then you have a case and one I'll probably be agreeing with.

"Palestine" - a dirty word for the BBC

No it obviously isn't. So that title.. debunked. In fact, it's used all the time by the BBC.

Obviously this particular programme didn't want any political content whatsoever in any way shape or form, you can't get any more impartial than that, it's almost anal.

What's the conspiracy theory?

"Palestine" - a dirty word for the BBC

No it obviously isn't. So that title.. debunked. In fact, it's used all the time by the BBC.
    If you insist on pedantry then I shall make it clear: THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT THE BBC REFUSING TO MENTION THE WORD PALESTINE.

As I am sure you are aware it is context that gives meaning. In this case we have an artist proclaiming "Free Palestine". I am also sure that you are aware that Palestine is not "free" but exists under a brutal Israeli military occupation. This is the context.

If you've watched the videos presented then you will have witnessed the BBC censoring this valid statement of solidarity with a victimised people from an artist on a BBC show. THIS IS WHAT THE THREAD IS ABOUT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

If you insist on pedantry then I shall make it clear: THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT THE BBC REFUSING TO MENTION THE WORD PALESTINE.

As I am sure you are aware it is context that gives meaning. In this case we have an artist proclaiming "Free Palestine". I am also sure that you are aware that Palestine is not "free" but exists under a brutal Israeli military occupation. This is the context.

If you've watched the videos presented then you will have witnessed the BBC censoring this valid statement of solidarity with a victimised people from an artist on a BBC show. THIS IS WHAT THE THREAD IS ABOUT.
    I think that's a fair observation but do you agree that as this is a once off it's not a conspiracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,491 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

So there is a memo given out to people in the BBC telling them to censor the word Palestine whenever they see it, but only on day time radio?

Why would they care about that?
    What's wrong with the idea that it's just them not wanting any political stuff on that show?

Do you have other examples of them deliberately censoring Palestine and only Palestine?

Nope it's about a hiphop radio show censoring lyrics for a song they consider too political.

What is the conspiracy theory?

Does the BBC have a Zionist agenda?.. or do you just have it in for them?

ane Corbin lying through her teeth ]
    Incidentally, this is her (deceased) husband Lord Maples, the former President of the Conservative Friends of Israel.
    http://www.parliament.uk/business/news/2012/june/death-of-lord-maples/

Unless it happens again, there isnt much to debunk. It's a one off rather than a conspiracy. If it happens again, then you have a case and one I'll probably be agreeing with.
    Here are other cases of BBC "impartiality". Here is Tony Benn speaking on the BBC in 2009 about their (and Sky's) refusal to air a Gaza charity appeal after the Israeli systematically destroyed all means of living in Gaza and massacred over a thousand people, mostly children.

A year later you had Jane Corbin lying through her teeth in the BBC's Panorama program which was to use all kinds of deception to whitewash and legitimise Israel's massacre of 9 people in international waters (as well as Israel's piracy, wounding, kidnap and torture of the rest of the hundreds of others from all around the world that took part in the flotilla in 2010)

Corbin, who had been in Gaza for the making of sham documentary stated as fact that there was no humanitarian crisis in Gaza after Castlead. She said that there was no shortage of food and medicines in Gaza (therefore there was no need for these activists to try and break the illegal Israeli blockade).

As I said she was shamelessly lying. This was at a time when (which was later to be revealed by Gisha) the Israelis were meticulously calculating the bare minimum calorie intake to survive and then only allowing less than half of that into Gaza.

A few months after Corbin's "investigation" which allowed her to state as fact that there was no shortage of medicines available in Gaza the Norwegian government sent two doctors to assess the situation. A crisis they described as "heartbreaking".
    The survey by Hegna and Vikanes found that more than a third of these essential drugs are missing completely, and barely 7% of the remainder exceed 2 months supply. Furthermore, 25 items are scant, with less than 1 month's supply on hand, and there are 23 items for which less than 2 months of supplies are available. There is a shortage of sutures, latex gloves, exchange transfusion sets for newborns, and ethyl alcohol.

An updated tally by WHO issued a fortnight later showed 150 drugs and about 136 disposable items remain out of stock, even after the most recent health ministry deliveries were inventoried.
    http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...484-4/fulltext
    ane Corbin lying through her teeth ]
    Incidentally, this is her (deceased) husband Lord Maples, the former President of the Conservative Friends of Israel.

Here are other cases of BBC "impartiality". Here is Tony Benn speaking on the BBC in 2009 about their (and Sky's) refusal to air a Gaza charity appeal after the Israeli systematically destroyed all means of living in Gaza and massacred over a thousand people, mostly children.

A year later you had Jane Corbin lying through her teeth in the BBC's Panorama program which was to use all kinds of deception to whitewash and legitimise Israel's massacre of 9 people in international waters (as well as Israel's piracy, wounding, kidnap and torture of the rest of the hundreds of others from all around the world that took part in the flotilla in 2010)

Corbin, who had been in Gaza for the making of sham documentary stated as fact that there was no humanitarian crisis in Gaza after Castlead. She said that there was no shortage of food and medicines in Gaza (therefore there was no need for these activists to try and break the illegal Israeli blockade).

As I said she was shamelessly lying. This was at a time when (which was later to be revealed by Gisha) the Israelis were meticulously calculating the bare minimum calorie intake to survive and then only allowing less than half of that into Gaza.

A few months after Corbin's "investigation" which allowed her to state as fact that there was no shortage of medicines available in Gaza the Norwegian government sent two doctors to assess the situation. A crisis they described as "heartbreaking".

And I can give examples of where the BBC has been accused of being pro-Palestinian..

Still don't know what the conspiracy theory is.. the BBC isn't impartial enough?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

It's a sad state of affairs when the BBC need to block the word Palestine, mainly due to as Tony Benn says, Israeli pressure, just shows the influence this small regime holds over western media and ultimately minds.

And I can give examples of where the BBC has been accused of being pro-Palestinian..

Still don't know what the conspiracy theory is.. the BBC isn't impartial enough?

Show some "Pro Palestine" from the bbc..

• Advertisement

I'll wait till you have the gall to post up what the conspiracy theory is here before I start posting more examples..

What's the conspiracy theory brownbomber?

I'll wait till you have the gall to post up what the conspiracy theory is here before I start posting more examples..

See post 4, and remember we are looking for examples that YOU think displays pro-Palestinian bias. Not the Israeli government or failed Tory backbenchers who coincidentally were also again Conservative Friends of Israel. You may as well type BBC into search at abefoxman.com

The conspiracy theory is that the bbc child molestor masters don't want the word "Palestine" broadcast.

That would give legitimacy to the state of "Palestine"

See post 4, and remember we are looking for examples that YOU think displays pro-Palestinian bias. Not the Israeli government or failed Tory backbenchers who coincidentally were also again Conservative Friends of Israel. You may as well type BBC into search at abefoxman.com

Why do their accusations of bias not count? Perhaps because they themselves are biased and view anything that is in fact unbiased as biased towards the other end because it doesn't fall neatly into their beliefs?

stuar wrote: »
    I clearly said BBC, so did you.

EDIT:

Are u thick, I said from the bbc

The duo :)

Brownbomber highlighted instances where he accused the BBC of not being impartial - i.e. being biased.. in his examples he gave two where the BBC were allegedly being pro-Israel (or anti-Palestinian)

To which I replied:

to which you asked..
    Show some "Pro Palestine" from the bbc..

The opening line of the first link is..

"The Israeli government has written to the BBC accusing its Middle East correspondent, Orla Guerin, of anti-semitism and "total identification with the goals and methods of the Palestinian terror groups" over a report on a 16-year-old would-be suicide bomber last week."

Accusation of pro-Palestinian bias, the source of which is the BBC.

The second link is the BBC admitting it was biased toward Israel. The BBC admitting to being biased. You can't get anymore "from" the BBC than that.

Here's what I said again..

Which is why I am repeatedly asking BB what the conspiracy theory is, because I know believe this is just a thinly veiled attack on the BBC for apparently being anti-Palestinian.

The irony of the pair of you "discussing" bias is something else ;)

King Mob wrote: »
    Why do their accusations of bias not count? Perhaps because they themselves are biased and view anything that is in fact unbiased as biased towards the other end because it doesn't fall neatly into their beliefs?
    :rolleyes: I NEVER said that they don't count, did I?

Obviously what is required is for Jonny to share some instances of BBC coverage that HE CONSIDERS to be biased in favour of the Palestinians. Not what someone else is claiming.

Here is the BBC not being political at all through music
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/thelive8event/

The duo :)

Brownbomber highlighted instances where he accused the BBC of not being impartial - i.e. being biased.. in his examples he gave two where the BBC were allegedly being pro-Israel (or anti-Palestinian)

To which I replied:

to which you asked..

The opening line of the first link is..

"The Israeli government has written to the BBC accusing its Middle East correspondent, Orla Guerin, of anti-semitism and "total identification with the goals and methods of the Palestinian terror groups" over a report on a 16-year-old would-be suicide bomber last week."

Accusation of pro-Palestinian bias, the source of which is the BBC.

The second link is the BBC admitting it was biased toward Israel. The BBC admitting to being biased. You can't get anymore "from" the BBC than that.

Here's what I said again..

Which is why I am repeatedly asking BB what the conspiracy theory is, because I know believe this is just a thinly veiled attack on the BBC for apparently being anti-Palestinian.

The irony of the pair of you "discussing" bias is something else ;)

Yea ok, but I asked FROM THE BBC, not about the bbc, FROM THE BBC, as in www.bbc.co.uk/ILOVEPALESTINE/ANDHEREIAM/FULLOFCRAPASUSUAL.html

• Advertisement

The conspiracy theory is that the bbc child molestor masters don't want the word "Palestine" broadcast.

That would give legitimacy to the state of "Palestine"

False, reread the thread.

:rolleyes: I NEVER said that they don't count, did I?

Obviously what is required is for Jonny to share some instances of BBC coverage that HE CONSIDERS to be biased in favour of the Palestinians. Not what someone else is claiming.

Nope, I got them from the same section that includes yours.

They are allegations of bias, the same as yours.

Yea ok, but I asked FROM THE BBC, not about the bbc, FROM THE BBC, as in www.bbc.co.uk/ILOVEPALESTINE/ANDHEREIAM/FULLOFCRAPASUSUAL.html

Stuar.. I have provided this.

You don't seem to understand the thread, so I have no idea why you are commenting..

If you do understand what BB is going on about, please explain what the conspiracy theory is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I don't think discussions of "media bias" should be in the conspiracy forum.

Otherwise, you might as well include 000s of threads from Soccer, After Hours and Television forums, which make similar accusations, in here. If they're not deemed relevant here, then neither is this thread and it should be in the Politics (or media) forum.

As should most of the Syria and Middle East threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Israel says that the BBC is biased in favour of Palestine.

Palestine says BBC is biased in favour of Israel. Or at least BB says that it is on this one occasion.

I gather from this that the BBC just can't win.

Sacksian wrote: »
    I don't think discussions of "media bias" should be in the conspiracy forum.

Otherwise, you might as well include 000s of threads from Soccer, After Hours and Television forums, which make similar accusations, in here. If they're not deemed relevant here, then neither is this thread and it should be in the Politics (or media) forum.

As should most of the Syria and Middle East threads.
    I disagree. Every thread that has ever been in this forum could reasonably be placed elsewhere. The range of topics that could be potentially discussed in this forum are infinite provided that they have a conspiracy hook. Unless people want "conspiracy theories" to be simply a place to discuss the stereotypical nonsense conspiracy theories such as bigfoot and alien abductions etc. This is all beside the point though.

• Advertisement

Nope, I got them from the same section that includes yours.

They are allegations of bias, the same as yours.
    :rolleyes: Yes. But they are not YOUR allegations. How many times do I need to say it?

I disagree. Every thread that has ever been in this forum could reasonably be placed elsewhere. The range of topics that could be potentially discussed in this forum are infinite provided that they have a conspiracy hook. Unless people want "conspiracy theories" to be simply a place to discuss the stereotypical nonsense conspiracy theories such as bigfoot and alien abductions etc. This is all beside the point though.

Even they could go into the unexplained forum :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

The ever-neutral BBC censored out the word "Palestine" like it was a vulgar term, Incredible.

They edited out the term "Free-Palestine" not "Palestine". Bit too subtle for the OP. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Yes. But they are not YOUR allegations. How many times do I need to say it?

Neither are yours. You didn't personally discover the Nigel Benn interview.

In fact.. it's documented on the same page as the bias allegations I just listed.

In fact.. it's documented on the same page as the bias allegations I just listed.
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Rap can be cringe worthy stuff at times, but yeah, bad firm from the BBC olrite.

There is a very clear distinction that goes without saying (so I can't believe I actually have to say it).

I stand by my examples. You on the other hand have erected a great big fence between you and your's for you to sit on and play mind/word games.

nocoverart wrote: »
    Rap can be cringe worthy stuff at times, but yeah, bad firm from the BBC olrite.
    I agree on both counts. Not a fan of rap at all for the most part but I liked his raw energy and passion.

Tony/Nigel

Old whhite ex-MP / black heavyweight boxer

Easily confusing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

reprazant wrote: »
    Israel says that the BBC is biased in favour of Palestine.

Palestine says BBC is biased in favour of Israel. Or at least BB says that it is on this one occasion.

I gather from this that the BBC just can't win.

If everyone is accusing you of being biased against them, then you're probably doing something right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Where exactly is Palestine?
    It seems to cover differing regions depending on whom you speak to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I disagree.

There is no conspiracy here - who is conspiring??

The BBC need to be conspiring with someone (or people within the BBC need to be conspiring as a group) for it to be a "conspiracy". That's generally what "conspiracy" means.

As incredibly offensive as the Sandy Hook thread is, it does actually allege that many different parties / agencies are working together (i.e. conspiring).

Surely posting in politics would give this issue as wide an audience as possible? Do you not want to raise it to a broader audience?

Where exactly is Palestine?
    It seems to cover differing regions depending on whom you speak to.
    Israel has one view. The entirety of the international community has another.

Sacksian wrote: »
    I

Surely posting in politics would give this issue as wide an audience as possible? Do you not want to raise it to a broader audience?
    We'll just have to agree to disagree then. As for that point above the answer is no, I am not an activist, I am only here for my personal entertainment which involves conspiracy theories discussion, which is why I opened the thread here as I am interested in discussing the conspiracy angle.

What you also need to consider is that while my conspiracy-rich OP may technically and imo appropriately be suitable for other fora the reality is quite different. For example, there is a prolific CT poster currently serving a ban from boards.ie for posting a "conspiracy" post not in the CT forum. Literally just for that! I have been on the receiving end of this kind of patronising attitude from mods in other forums as well on boards - "Conspiracy theories is that way >>>" and other kinds of arrogant bollox.

In short, "conspiracy theories" are not actually welcome elsewhere on boards.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. As for that point above the answer is no, I am not an activist, I am only here for my personal entertainment which involves conspiracy theories discussion, which is why I opened the thread here as I am interested in discussing the conspiracy angle.

What you also need to consider is that while my conspiracy-rich OP may technically and imo appropriately be suitable for other fora the reality is quite different. For example, there is a prolific CT poster currently serving a ban from boards.ie for posting a "conspiracy" post not in the CT forum. Literally just for that! I have been on the receiving end of this kind of patronising attitude from mods in other forums as well on boards - "Conspiracy theories is that way >>>" and other kinds of arrogant bollox.

In short, "conspiracy theories" are not actually welcome elsewhere on boards.
    Or to put it in less newspeak terms, forums like politics have a higher standard of evidence (ie. has one) and a lower tolerance for sensationalism.

And in politics, one instance of accused bias from a biased person does not a case make.

• Advertisement
Advertisement