Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keeping things ticking over?

• 06-01-2013 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

Unless the super-four has some unforeseen issues, I intend to keep the PX off the road for a few months. Just in terms of keeping the battery in good nick how long should I take it out for on a quick spin each each week.

Would say doing 8-10 miles once a week keep it in good nick?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

If it is garaged you would probably be better off getting a trickle charger like an Optimate or similar. Short journeys can cause condensation on the inside of your engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

As above, I would park it up in the shed, stick some fuel stabiliser in a full tank and run it through the system.
    Hook up an intelligent charger and leave it until the weather improves.
    BTW, Louis have a good deal on their 75th anniversary charger right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Sadly I don't have access to any indoor facilities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Mr Motorcycle

Odysseus wrote: »
    Unless the super-four has some unforeseen issues, I intend to keep the PX off the road for a few months. Just in terms of keeping the battery in good nick how long should I take it out for on a quick spin each each week.

Would say doing 8-10 miles once a week keep it in good nick?

That milage should be fine it will allow the engine and other components to warm up properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Odysseus wrote: »
    Sadly I don't have access to any indoor facilities.
    Have you got a cover for it?
    If you can keep it out of the rain thats a major plus.
    The battery can be removed and left in the house on charge.
    If you run the fuel stabiliser through the system and brim the tank you'll stop any condensation happening inside the tank which causes corrosion and other bad effects.
    Running it for 8 miles a week is a waste of time IMO, I have had bikes stored for a long time and as long as you keep the battery charged and the tank either completely full or bone dry then you are fine.
    Its when a bike sits with a half tank of petrol and a battery slowly going flat that the problems occur.
    Condensation forms and runs to the bottom of the tank and starts to rust and react with the alcohol in the fuel.
    You start and run the bike and the gunge is sucked into your carb or fuel pump.
    Thats how fuel problems start.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Have you got a cover for it?
    If you can keep it out of the rain thats a major plus.
    The battery can be removed and left in the house on charge.
    If you run the fuel stabiliser through the system and brim the tank you'll stop any condensation happening inside the tank which causes corrosion and other bad effects.
    Running it for 8 miles a week is a waste of time IMO, I have had bikes stored for a long time and as long as you keep the battery charged and the tank either completely full or bone dry then you are fine.
    Its when a bike sits with a half tank of petrol and a battery slowly going flat that the problems occur.
    Condensation forms and runs to the bottom of the tank and starts to rust and react with the alcohol in the fuel.
    You start and run the bike and the gunge is sucked into your carb or fuel pump.
    Thats how fuel problems start.

Cheers, yeah I do have her covered, I will get some of that fuel stabiliser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,408 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

2-stroke, right?
    I was going to say that you should change the engine oil after taking it out of storage. Ideally change it before putting it in storage as well. But this is on 4-strokes where combustion acids get into the engine oil. That's also the reason why it's better to store a 4-stroke bike properly rather than give it a short run every now and again, you'd only be adding condensation and combustion acids into the engine oil. It takes a lot longer than people think to get the oil fully heated up on a run, the coolant heats up quicker than the oil and unless you work the engine reasonably hard, on a short run the oil might never get fully hot at all.

On a 2-stroke you've only got gearbox oil to worry about and no combustion acids there.

Ideally get both wheels off the ground and reduce both tyres down to 20psi to avoid flat spots, cover the bike, and keep the battery indoors if you can't hook up an optimate or similar up to the bike. Even if you can't get fuel stabiliser, fill the petrol tank up to the brim so there's as little air (and water vapour) in the tank as possible.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....are you sure your PX even has a battery ? Mine doesn't.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....are you sure your PX even has a battery ? Mine doesn't.....

I had to replace it last year; or at least I hope it is connected to something:pac:

Advertisement