Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recovery From Cruciate Ligament

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Well lads im eager too hear from some of the lads who posted here earlyier!
    Im now 6 months post op...Have NO pain day too day.Have been back jogging and running with no problems and am about too begin "light" soccer training (no contact)
    was on holidays last week and swimming quite alot and got a small pain in my knee the last day but i had been working it very hard all week

My question is mainly too the lads who have had surgery how did ye know when you were ok too go back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I found returning from the injury you need to be very careful approaching the transition to training. A lot of the stresses on the knee occur outside of contact so you'll still be at risk. I rushed mine and partially tore it when turning left (it was my right knee) felt fine up to that point. Just make sure you keep at the weights and exercises to keep it goin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

MrMac84 wrote: »
    My question is mainly too the lads who have had surgery how did ye know when you were ok too go back?

When my physio told me so.

There's a lot to do and I know you say you're doing light, non contact stuff but that's a million miles from the real thing.

It's not even contact that's the problem, it's sudden, sharp movements like turning quickly with all your weight on the recovering knee.

I wouldn't be going back playing properly for a year post op personally, but I was very strict with what I did in terms of taking zero risks. It paid off in the end.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    When my physio told me so.

There's a lot to do and I know you say you're doing light, non contact stuff but that's a million miles from the real thing.

It's not even contact that's the problem, it's sudden, sharp movements like turning quickly with all your weight on the recovering knee.

I wouldn't be going back playing properly for a year post op personally, but I was very strict with what I did in terms of taking zero risks. It paid off in the end.

I'm not going back too sharp movements at the moment more just ladders and sprints in straight lines.i have no plans too start doing ANYTHING involving sharp movements or contact I.e full training untill December at least which is a full 12 months post op.

As for weights I haven't been doing any on my knee just squats and excersises at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

I'm approaching seven months post surgery and started running a month back.

I have no real pain just a few niggles. I do have a little bruise at the back of knee which the physio thinks is a little bit of cartilage that has flecked off my meniscus causing a small bleed. The tear was in a bucket handle shape and I tore and healed it a few times which made the repair difficult. I might require a little cleanup to remove it which I dont mind. For the minute they are happy to let me batter on with rehab and will assess in July.

In reality I am about six weeks behind in rehab. I had massive trouble with my hip flexor and groin on the operated leg when I started the weighted exercises. It was simply down to compensation. My quad couldn't handle the exercises so my groin and hip kicked in to help. I did some dry needling therapy and some rest and eventually it died down.

I am back squatting and deadlifting along with leg presses and leg extensions. The weights are small but I am able to increase the weight slowly as the weeks go on and can see an increase in strength week by week.

MrMac84 - Were you tested on the isokinetic machine before you started running? I got the go ahead to start once I could reach the recommended power output.

I have no plans to play anything this year. I am a hurler but played a fair bit of soccer (astroturf) before the injury. The one thing the physio recommended was to stay away from astroturf, especially in situations where its a "kickabout". She said that the surfaces are very hard on the knees especially after surgery like this but also that these games are usually between guys who are out for a bit of devilment and it takes one bad tackle and you are back in the hospital again.

statto25 wrote: »
    I'm approaching seven months post surgery and started running a month back.

I have no real pain just a few niggles. I do have a little bruise at the back of knee which the physio thinks is a little bit of cartilage that has flecked off my meniscus causing a small bleed. The tear was in a bucket handle shape and I tore and healed it a few times which made the repair difficult. I might require a little cleanup to remove it which I dont mind. For the minute they are happy to let me batter on with rehab and will assess in July.

In reality I am about six weeks behind in rehab. I had massive trouble with my hip flexor and groin on the operated leg when I started the weighted exercises. It was simply down to compensation. My quad couldn't handle the exercises so my groin and hip kicked in to help. I did some dry needling therapy and some rest and eventually it died down.

I am back squatting and deadlifting along with leg presses and leg extensions. The weights are small but I am able to increase the weight slowly as the weeks go on and can see an increase in strength week by week.

MrMac84 - Were you tested on the isokinetic machine before you started running? I got the go ahead to start once I could reach the recommended power output.

I have no plans to play anything this year. I am a hurler but played a fair bit of soccer (astroturf) before the injury. The one thing the physio recommended was to stay away from astroturf, especially in situations where its a "kickabout". She said that the surfaces are very hard on the knees especially after surgery like this but also that these games are usually between guys who are out for a bit of devilment and it takes one bad tackle and you are back in the hospital again.

No i wasnt.Ive never heard of this machine too be honest.Ive an appointment with the surgeon on Friday ho so maybe then.I havent started any leg press's or leg curl's yet im thinking about joining the gym too begin those.I was told too get a balance board too.My balance is very good my physio has said and it would get better if i bought one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Well lads im eager too hear from some of the lads who posted here earlyier!
    Im now 6 months post op...Have NO pain day too day.Have been back jogging and running with no problems and am about too begin "light" soccer training (no contact)
    was on holidays last week and swimming quite alot and got a small pain in my knee the last day but i had been working it very hard all week

First off, congrats on your progress thus far!

http://www.tabatatimes.com/injury-101-when-are-you-ready-to-return/

Here's an article I thought was pretty good on this area. I'd suggest that at some point you're going to want to source a good sports focussed physio and explain that your goal is to get back playing ball and ask for specific advice and assistance in getting there. Your surgeon and general physical therapists will be looking at this from a different perspective - return of basic function.

There's no one size fits all approach on this. You'll need a different roadmap back to full fitness than someone else. Sounds like things are going well, but it would be worth additional expertise as you start getting back to kicking a ball imo.

So I'm glad too say over 14 months post op I've no knee pain and back too all sports full contact twisting and turning no problems!

I thought of this thread as a lad on my team has just ruptured his acl this week and is asking me lots of questions

Advertisement