Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rice's from Ofally,Eglish

• 06-01-2013 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi
    I live in UK but my greatgrandad William Rice was born 1853 in Eglish,Offaly and in 1873 joined the army and it says he was living in Fivevally Offaly at the time he joined up.
    His father
    Family Name 1 RICE
    Forename 1 THOMAS
    Landlord
    Family Name 2 MAXWELL
    Forename 2 ROBERT
    Barony EGLISH
    Union PARSONSTOWN
    Parish EGLISH
    Townland BALLYNACARD
    Place Name BALLYNACARD
    Place Type TOWNLAND
    Publication Details
    Position on Page 15
    Printing Date 1854
    Act 15&16
    Sheet Number 30,31
    Map Reference 4
    Mother on his baptisem down as E.NEIL no first name
    I was just wondering if any Rices still live there or help going back on Thomas find more on my Surname
    I do not no if either illiam or Thomas had sibblings
    would also like to find out were surname came from
    Dominic Rice
    UK

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I'm certain I've come across these same details recently somewhere before ... maybe someone else searching for the same family connection ?

Do you have a marriage cert for your William, what's the occupation given for Thomas ?

As for the origins of people with this surname - MacLysaght lists two variations for the surname Rice and Rhys, and suggests at least two origins for the name a) from Wales, many ending up in Munster, and b) those in the north east Anglicised from an old Irish name. There could be other places of origin for various individual Rice females - e.g. descendants of plantation and settlement families, other Anglicized Irish surnames etc

Shane

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

No mention of any Rices in Eglish in the 1901 Census

shanew wrote: »
    I'm certain I've come across these same details recently somewhere before ...

How about this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Salfordl68

I'm certain I've come across these same details recently somewhere before ... maybe someone else searching for the same family connection ?

Do you have a marriage cert for your William, what's the occupation given for Thomas ?

As for the origins of people with this surname - MacLysaght lists two variations for the surname Rice and Rhys, and suggests at least two origins for the name a) from Wales, many ending up in Munster, and b) those in the north east Anglicised from an old Irish name. There could be other places of origin for various individual Rice females - e.g. descendants of plantation and settlement families, other Anglicized Irish surnames etc

Shane
    Hi Shane
    Its more than likley its me Ive place this on few forums to see if any one can help
    no occupationfor Thomas on marriage cert
    Dom

Salfordl68 wrote: »
    Hi Shane
    Its more than likley its me Ive place this on few forums to see if any one can help
    no occupationfor Thomas on marriage cert
    Dom

what sort of marriage record is it ?

Civil marriages in most areas (certainly Ireland/England/Wales & Scotland) should show father's occupation .

S.

• Advertisement

just saw on the RootsChat thread (thx Ponster) that the marriage was in Manchester in 1886 - sometimes if father is deceased at the time his occupation can be omitted...

His occupation might have helped the search - e.g. if he was a soldier he could have moved around, if he was a farmer he could appear on Tithe records etc...

S.

just saw on the RootsChat thread (thx Ponster) that the marriage was in Manchester in 1886 - sometimes if father is deceased at the time his occupation can be omitted...

His occupation might have helped the search - e.g. if he was a soldier he could have moved around, if he was a farmer he could appear on Tithe records etc...

S.
    Its my brick wall
    Thomas Rice were are you lol
    D

S.
    Just found a Thomas Rice in the tithe record 1833 cummum reynagh offaly could this be him but were is cummum reynagh?
    Any help
    Dom

Just found a Thomas Rice in the tithe record 1833 cummum reynagh offaly could this be him but were is cummum reynagh?
    Any help
    Dom

Bear in mind the date on that that Tithe record .. might be a little too early for your Thomas, also Titles dont cover urban areas, and usually only cover agricultural properties (why occupation might be important...), and there are also many exemptions - so not everyone appears..

Reynagh is the civil parish and it's located in the west of Co. Offaly close to borders with both Galway and Tipperary. The townland is probably a variation in spelling for Cummeen.

Eglish civil parish is immediately to the east of Reynagh.

Shane

so this could be Thomas's father ?(Williams granddad) I remember some saying farmers on Rice side when I was young??
    Dom

• Advertisement

experimenting with the free Index on RootsIreland, the closest match for a sibling of your William seems to be a Thomas Rice, with father also Thomas in Birr RC parish in 1852. Birr RC parish is immediately south of Eglish.

Cant work out mother's surname from the index - this search doesn't always work ... possibly not indexed, but firstname seems to be Mary

The RC parish for the civil parish of Reynagh, mentioned for that Tithe record, is 'Gallen & Reynagh', and is listed on the RootsIreland website as Cloghan/Banagher (Banagher is the principle town in the parish).

A search of the Index for marriages for the name Thomas Rice shows four results in the available records for Co. Offaly - one in 1830, the other in 1836 (mentioned in the RootsChat topic). I didn't work out the exact year of the other two, but they are much later...

Both of these marriages are listed in Eglish RC parish.. although neither seem to cross match to a bride with the initial E. or surname [O']Neill, but possibly worth following up anyway....

Shane

experimenting with the free Index on RootsIreland, the closest match for a sibling of your William seems to be a Thomas Rice, with father also Thomas in Birr RC parish in 1852. Birr RC parish is immediately south of Eglish.

Cant work out mother's surname from the index - this search doesn't always work ... possibly not indexed, but firstname seems to be Mary

The RC parish for the civil parish of Reynagh, mentioned for that Tithe record, is 'Gallen & Reynagh', and is listed on the RootsIreland website as Cloghan/Banagher (Banagher is the principle town in the parish).

A search of the Index for marriages for the name Thomas Rice shows four results in the available records for Co. Offaly - one in 1830, the other in 1836 (mentioned in the RootsChat topic). I didn't work out the exact year of the other two, but they are much later...

Both of these marriages are listed in Eglish RC parish.. although neither seem to cross match to a bride with the initial E. or surname [O']Neill, but possibly worth following up anyway....

Shane
    Shane
    I got William baptisem record from this site mother down as E.Neil
    I did E-mail them asking if transcription mistype but
    I don't get answer from them so I don't no if the E is first name or what
    My head spins with my Rice line just need the brick wall to loosen a little lol
    Dom

If you want to check out the original of that baptism in the NLI to see if you can make out anything else, the film number is Pos. 4175. It's listed as Eglish or 'Eglish & Drumcullen'

Shane

If you want to check out the original of that baptism in the NLI to see if you can make out anything else, the film number is Pos. 4175. It's listed as Eglish or 'Eglish & Drumcullen'

Shane
    Shane
    How do I go about do that never done it before
    D

Shane
    How do I go about do that never done it before
    D

NLI = National Library of Ireland, it's on Kildare St, Dublin.

RC films are 'self-service', in a room just up the stairs and to the right. Look for the film number in the cabinets on the left on the way in, and take to one of the Microfilm machines to view.

Some registers and films have indexes, but for others it's just a case of browsing through by date. There are usually separate sections in the registers for baptism and marriages.

note : you have to leave coats, bags, phones etc in lockers downstairs...

Shane

NLI = National Library of Ireland, it's on Kildare St, Dublin.

RC films are 'self-service', in a room just up the stairs and to the right. Look for the film number in the cabinets on the left on the way in, and take to one of the Microfilm machines to view.

Some registers and films have indexes, but for others it's just a case of browsing through by date. There are usually separate sections in the registers for baptism and marriages.

note : you have to leave coats, bags, phones etc in lockers downstairs...

Shane
    Thanks Shane
    I am unable to get over to view them dew to illness
    But thanks for all your help
    Dom

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Hi,
    I'm from Eglish, i was brought up beside ballynacard and i'm sorry to tell you that there are no Rice's in that area at the moment.

but I have a chat with my father this evening and ask if he remember the Rice or any of the stories about them in the area.

I suspect that entry, or that section of the register, is difficult to read... possibly faded or damaged..

Unfortunately RootsIreland dont include images for their records at the moment, just the transcripts. Maybe they will add this feature at some stage. Recently they added a facility to order images for records for parts of one county ... think it may have been Co. Derry.

S.

Hi,
    I'm from Eglish, i was brought up beside ballynacard and i'm sorry to tell you that there are no Rice's in that area at the moment.

but I have a chat with my father this evening and ask if he remember the Rice or any of the stories about them in the area.
    Thank you so much toxicity you could be the one that breaks my wall down if you need more info please ask
    I hope some one you talk to may have info about my Irish surname Rice
    Places name in info u I've got Eglish ballynacard,Birr and Five valley
    Domain
    :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

i was just talking to my father there,

I'm sorry to say that the name hasn't being in the area for a long time.
    Daddy moving into Eglish in 1950 and doesn't remember stories about the family,

1840-1850's was a tough time for Eglish with the population droping about 30 - 40 %.
    i'll have a look around the graveyard them i am home next, to see if i can see the name. it was open in the 1820's or 1830.

we are going to check with the familys around the area.
    But i'm sorry to say that we lost one of our oldest and most knowlage familys in the last few years.

if this dosen't work. i have a idea but i'll P.M. you that later.

If he joined the army while living in Eglish that would not have being look on well. i should warn you of this and there was a possablity that he family would dis-owe him. This didn't happen all the time but sometime your hear bit of stories.

The other thing is i'm head to poland for 2 weeks on Wed and i live in Dublin. so the earlest i'm going to be a home is 3 weeks at least.

• Advertisement

i was just talking to my father there,

I'm sorry to say that the name hasn't being in the area for a long time.
    Daddy moving into Eglish in 1950 and doesn't remember stories about the family,

1840-1850's was a tough time for Eglish with the population droping about 30 - 40 %.
    i'll have a look around the graveyard them i am home next, to see if i can see the name. it was open in the 1820's or 1830.

we are going to check with the familys around the area.
    But i'm sorry to say that we lost one of our oldest and most knowlage familys in the last few years.

if this dosen't work. i have a idea but i'll P.M. you that later.

If he joined the army while living in Eglish that would not have being look on well. i should warn you of this and there was a possablity that he family would dis-owe him. This didn't happen all the time but sometime your hear bit of stories.

The other thing is i'm head to poland for 2 weeks on Wed and i live in Dublin. so the earlest i'm going to be a home is 3 weeks at least.

Thanks for this looking forward to your finding
    I think William may have joined when his parents had died
    D

You mentioned on another forum that William came over with his cousin, Thomas Rice, son of Roderick Rice.
    If it possible to chase this line and find the common ancestor ?

Either way I think you may need to plan a trip to Dublin and hit those records :)

I have place on many forums but nothing as todate with William's cousin
    even one left Ireland for U.S.A
    given name: Joseph
    surname: Rice
    last place of residence: Kings Co., Ireland
    date of arrival: 15 Apr 1908
    age at arrival: 34y
    ethnicity: British, Irish
    port of departure: Londonderry
    port of arrival: New York
    marital status: S
    us citizen:
    ship of travel: Furnessia
    I am sure he is Thomas's brother
    Dom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

A problem with Eglish parish, is that it's so small, it's likely that a person moving a couple of miles, would be in the parishes of Ballyboy/Kilcormac, Birr, Drumcullen or Ryanaghs. Eglish was really an island parish, surrounded by bogs and marshes, so its easy to see why a family might disappear from the area in a generation.

that Joseph Rice is listed on the Ellis Island records -a few more details that might help trace him...

Last residence is King's County, but place of birth is Co. Carlow

Name & address of nearest relative - Maggie Rice, Dublin Rd. Carlow

Occupation for Joseph appear to be 'Warder'

his US destination is his nephew Jas[?] M. Shea, of 416 West 49th St. NY

he's 5ft 11 inches, has fresh complexion, brown hair, and grey eyes...

S.

a more recent thread on RootsChat I was probably thinking of..

Rice surname in Offaly

I'm almost certain I've come across this Maggie Rice at Dublin Rd., Carlow before, but havn't figured out where yet....

a more recent thread on RootsChat I was probably thinking of..

Rice surname in Offaly

I'm almost certain I've come across this Maggie Rice at Dublin Rd., Carlow before, but havn't figured out where yet....

William may have had a sister Margaret so did she have Joseph out of wed-lock?
    So he may be Williams nephew?
    Dom
    Also William had grey eyes as army records state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭tanoralover

There is a Joseph Rice is Ballinacard in 1901 and 1911. Possibly a son of Roderick although his age is a bit off. Look at the original images because they have been mistranscribed.

There is a Joseph Rice is Ballinacard in 1901 and 1911. Possibly a son of Roderick although his age is a bit off. Look at the original images because they have been mistranscribed.
    Will have a look at original today on PC
    My heat uncle William Rice name his son Joseph and in them days that's what they did
    I ask if you all would kindly keep looking as brickwall seem to be coming down brick by brick :-)
    X

• Advertisement

Just wondering if any one has found any more info about Rice's yet???
    Still the only brick wall I've got
    Dom

This is the baptism of my greatgran father:
    Baptism
    Name: Rice, William
    Date Of Birth: September 15, 1853
    County Of Birth: offaly
    Place Of Birth: Eglish
    Parent's Residence EGLISH , PARSONSTOWN, BALLYNACARD
    Mother's Name: Neil, E
    Father's Name: Rice, Thomas
    Source Of Record: http://www.rootsireland.ie/

looking to find more on him before he moved to UK around 1878
    would like to find his parents marriage and infon on them as well any help would be greatful
    Dom:)

without a full name for Thomas's wife or a location where they came from or married, I think it may not be possible to work any further back.

I presume you've already checked the Eglish parish records for a possible marriage ?

Not all parishes have records back as far as the 1850s, and not all those available are on Rootsireland etc. There may also be gaps and missing or damaged pages in registers - so there may not be a record available.

S.

I have check Eglish with no luck :-(
    this is the BIGGEST BRICK WALL in my tree cant find any thing about them when in Ireland
    Dom

Have you checked with Kilcormac? Ballynacard is on the border, and people from there may have considered Kilcormac church their local, I know most out there do now, anyhows.

Bogger77 wrote: »
    Have you checked with Kilcormac? Ballynacard is on the border, and people from there may have considered Kilcormac church their local, I know most out there do now, anyhows.
    I have not looked in Kilcarmac but if any one could I would be greatful
    Dom

• Advertisement

Transcripts of Kilcormac RC records seem to be included on RootsIreland

edit : the parish is sometimes listed as 'Balliboy & Killoughy'

Thanks for info will have a look hope it free lol
    Dom

I'm pretty sure we already tried marriages in Co. Offaly on RootsIreland and there was nothing promising anywhere in Co. Offaly

I'm pretty sure we already tried marriages in Co. Offaly on RootsIreland and there was nothing promising anywhere in Co. Offaly
    I think we did but some one found a marriage in Raynagh(hope I've spelt it right :-) )
    Dom

edit : the parish is sometimes listed as 'Balliboy & Killoughy'
    we can blame Cromwell for that part, Ballyboy was the more important village before he came to visit

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Rice's from Ofally,Eglish

When the subject of the Rice family came up on the History Forum a while ago I recommended to the person that he contact Fr Gerry Rice, the parish priest of Kilcloon in Meath, as he's also a very well known historian in Meath, 130km from Eglish.

He can be contacted here. He should put you on the right track regarding this sort of thing. Go n-éirí an t-ádh leat/Best of luck.

Rebelheart
    Thanks for your info I have sent him a e-mail today about my Rice surname from Eglish so will see what he send back fingers crossed
    D

Sent Fr.G.Rice e-mail but still not replied to me yet :-(
    any one else who can help me find more on my Irish ancestry I would be very greetful
    Dom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

For what its worth; from "The Offaly War Dead";
    RICE, THOMAS. Rank: Pte. Regiment or Service: Leinster Regiment. Unit; 2nd Battalion.
    Date of Death:05/07/1918. Service No:3512. Born in Birr, King's County. Enlisted in Birr, King's County while living in Birr, King's County. Died.
    King’s County Chronicle, October, 29, 1914.
    On Monday 26th October, Mr Thomas Rice, High Street, Birr, succumbed to a brief illness, and we understand that a few hours before his death he was informed that a couple of his sons in the Leinster Regiment at the front were wounded. He also had the distinction of having a third son in the same Regiment. He was formerly a tenant farmer on the Myshall Estate at Tinlough, Riverstown, but falling into depressing conditions he came to reside in Birr, where that kind hearted man, Mr J. J. Byrne, seeing his worth gave him constant employment. For the past few months he worked for the Presentation Brothers by whom he was greatly respected. The funeral to Pallas testified to the respect in which he was held.
    Midland Tribune, July, 1918.
    Private T Rice, of the Leinsters, has died in hospital in France. Previous to the war he was employed by the Birr Presentation Brothers in Birr.
    King’s County Chronicle, February, 1916.
    Three sons of the late Mr Thomas Rice, High Street, are serving with the Leinsters, viz;--Privates Thomas, with the 2nd Batt. In France for 15 months and never got a scratch; Albert, at present in hospital for the second time; John, wounded, and sent out again, and is at present stationed at Birr Barracks.

King’s County Chronicle, July, 1918.
    The news of the death of Private Thomas Rice, of the Leinster Regiment, in an hospital in France, was heard with great regret. He was on the reserve on the outbreak of war, and had been in innumerable engagements. In civil life he was of a quiet disposition, an industrious worker, sober and reliable, and was fast employed by the Presentation Brothers, who had a high opinion of him. Two other brothers were also in the army.
    Grave or Memorial Reference: V. C. 47. Cemetery: Longuenesse (St Omer) Souvenir Cemetery in France.

Advertisement