Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-founder needed ASAP

Options
  • 06-01-2013 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My name is Curtis, I am on the hunt for a tech co-founder (to be blunt). I have a start up idea that finished 3rd out of 60 at the Dublin startup weekend in Google last year. I have recently applied to the Launchpad accelerator program, at that time i had a tech co-founder who has since left for full time employment, this has come at a bad time seeing as the idea has made it through to the final pitching stages of Launchpad which currently i will have to do myself.
    Launchpad is an accelerator based in the National Digital research centre next to the Guinness storehouse, the program gives up to €20,000 in funding for its 3 month period along with office space and on hand mentorship.
    I am aware that i have not given you any idea of what the start up is yet, without giving to much detail away it is a web to app service that creates temporary social networks for sports
    And if you are interested in the startup and the program, please contact me ASAP(i can't stress that enough), and if you are not maybe you have someone in mind who might be.

Thanks
    Curt

curtis.cleverbox@gmail.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

curtisdean wrote: »
    My name is Curtis, I am on the hunt for a tech co-founder (to be blunt). I have a start up idea that finished 3rd out of 60 at the Dublin startup weekend in Google last year. I have recently applied to the Launchpad accelerator program, at that time i had a tech co-founder who has since left for full time employment, this has come at a bad time seeing as the idea has made it through to the final pitching stages of Launchpad which currently i will have to do myself.
    Launchpad is an accelerator based in the National Digital research centre next to the Guinness storehouse, the program gives up to €20,000 in funding for its 3 month period along with office space and on hand mentorship.
    I am aware that i have not given you any idea of what the start up is yet, without giving to much detail away it is a web to app service that creates temporary social networks for sports
    And if you are interested in the startup and the program, please contact me ASAP(i can't stress that enough), and if you are not maybe you have someone in mind who might be.

Thanks
    Curt

curtis.cleverbox@gmail.com

You are going to have to be able to sell it a lot better than that, to get anyone to give you a second glance to be honest.

Why is your idea so great, what do YOU bring to the partnership (hint: the idea is not enough), whats your background etc, have you managed a start up before/been involved in new business development for an existing company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Why is your idea so great, what do YOU bring to the partnership (hint: the idea is not enough), whats your background etc, have you managed a start up before/been involved in new business development for an existing company?
    In fairness, he's gotten it to the point of the final pitching stages of Launchpad, which would imply that there's almost certainly a business plan, revenue model and at the very least some technical specs, if not prototypes. He may also bring more to the table personally, but hasn't said so far.

I do agree that even one line of text to sell himself would have done him good. It will probably also save him a lot of time if he points out that you'll have to be able to support yourself for at least 6 - 12 months, as judging from the level of funding, there won't be any money to pay even nominal salaries, for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

In fairness, he's gotten it to the point of the final pitching stages of Launchpad, which would imply that there's almost certainly a business plan, revenue model and at the very least some technical specs, if not prototypes. He may also bring more to the table personally, but hasn't said so far.

I do agree that even one line of text to sell himself would have done him good. It will probably also save him a lot of time if he points out that you'll have to be able to support yourself for at least 6 - 12 months, as judging from the level of funding, there won't be any money to pay even nominal salaries, for a while.

You are far more optimistic about whats required to pitch than I am :)

Reading the launchpad site, it says up to 20k (obviously a big difference) which is actually 5k per founded(minimum two, hence his panic stricken post) and 5k for the project. So its really 15k. So really, if any developer is going to touch this, 10k out of the 15k should be going to them along with a decent equity share.

I'm not for a moment minimizing the work the OP has done, just putting it into the context I view it in.

ChRoMe wrote: »
    You are far more optimistic about whats required to pitch than I am :)
    Pitching for up to €20k doesn't require much, TBH. Smoke, mirrors and blarney will seal it most of the time, in my experience.
    Reading the launchpad site, it says up to 20k (obviously a big difference) which is actually 5k per founded(minimum two, hence his panic stricken post) and 5k for the project. So its really 15k. So really, if any developer is going to touch this, 10k out of the 15k should be going to them along with a decent equity share.
    LOL. Well spotted ;)
    I'm not for a moment minimizing the work the OP has done, just putting it into the context I view it in.
    Indeed. I wish them well.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well the guy brings photos :D

http://flavors.me/curtisdean#1ab/flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

If the idea is all that great, why didn't your co-founder hang around? Was there trouble in the camp?
    What ownership of this has your other co-founder?

MagicRon wrote: »
    If the idea is all that great, why didn't your co-founder hang around?
    Probably because he has bills to pay. Even with a good partnership and great business idea, the financial pressure of not bringing in a salary for a prolonged period of time does have its toll, and this is probably the most common reason business partners leave a start-up, or start-ups wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

This is the sort of thing we have the positions vacant sticky for (and read the rules at the top of that thread please, especially those regarding salary and equity). Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement