Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney marathon of the lakes 18 may 2013

Options
  • 06-01-2013 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about this? Not a whole lot of info on the website and haven't received a response from their enquiry form in weeks. Just looking for a map and elevation guide really.

Also, doesn't it seem odd that are two marathons in the space of a few weeks? Would it not make sense to merge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭webpal

Thanks but that's last years thread, which was cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

It's the same organisers who are organising the Hardman Triathlons. The reviews from that have been very good.

I'd feel better about this marathon if I knew why last year's was cancelled, though.

Merging the two marathons isn't an option, really. They are run by two different organisers. They are two different events and the routes will be completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭webpal

Anyone up for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

webpal wrote: »
    Anyone up for this?

Yup, I'm in for the full and my running buddy is after switching to the half as a lead in to Cork Marathon.
    My wife is due around the beginning of June so might be a bit hit 'n' miss, just going to treat it as a nice long training run in scenic killarney before portumna.
    Route map and elevation profile (click up)

Not sure why last years was cancelled, but as said above the organisers got some great feedback after hardman, I know one person who did it and is still raving about it, rates it among the best events he did, from an organisational point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Live updates...just click on the runners names...a certain mod we all know is burning up the course...

http://www.racetecresults.com/results.aspx?CId=74&RId=10152

Great running Thomas, looks like it was a sprint finish ?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Thomas started out with the 3:15 gang but got itchy feet by the first mile and bolted off like a greyhound, never to be seen again! Great running and very close to getting second.

Just back from this.
    A new PB for me so happy with that.
    Scenery was cracking, the views across the lake to the inviting mountains was a fantastic backdrop.
    Running with so much greenery was nice and relaxing as well so it made the distance easier. (it honestly felt like a nice long training run)
    The smell of wild garlic and the pockets of bluebells really set the place up. (Jesus I'm getting soft :o )
    A nice course to run on, there wasn't any problem with congestion, even at the narrow sections.
    Good support, especially with a lot of the half runners hanging around.
    The 3 laps went easily.
    The tea and brack at the finish was well received, multiple times :D:D:D:D
    A good first running of it, a few areas to improve on but nothing massive, nothing too do with the race itself.
    I met a few boardsies which was nice, and I met the RD after the race and he is a gent, was openly looking for peoples opinion and feedback, which looks good for any future runnings.
    This is a good value race, I look forward to a repeat visit next year.
    Thanks to the pacers as well, another super job, well done.

belcarra wrote: »
    Thomas started out with the 3:15 gang but got itchy feet by the first mile and bolted off like a greyhound, never to be seen again! Great running and very close to getting second.

That pretty much sums up my race. :D And thanks. :)
    mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Great running Thomas, looks like it was a sprint finish ?!!

Thanks. It wasn't quite a sprint finish. I saw the guy in second place ahead of me with a mile to go and went for it, but he heard me coming and responded in kind, and there was no catching him after that. I was 5 seconds behind at the line.

I'm glad I did what I did. Had I stayed with the 3:15 group and seen the results afterwards, knowing full well that a top-3 place had been there for the taking, I would have been angry with myself for not grabbing the opportunity. I'm still annoyed with myself for throwing away a possible victory in Sixmilebridge last November.

The race itself was lovely, if very different to your average marathon. I loved running in the National Park, it was well organised and the organisers seemed very open to feedback afterwards and promised to look at improving whatever details need improving next year. I'm definitely planning on coming back next year.

There was one fly in the ointment though, namely that my Garmin measured the course as 26.12 miles, and others had similar readings (I know all the pacers were confused). The organisers are confident that the distance was accurate after measuring it with a Jones counter and I know from personal experience that GPS readings in the park can be all over the place, so it's perfectly possible that the course was indeed accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

I only ever one marathon that was short on Thr garmin. I would be very peed off if I ran a pb and it was short. I might claim it but I would know inside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Yeah, my garmin was 13.03 for the half and I know 2 others that were 12.88 and 12.78. There was a fair bit of tree coverage around most of the course which likely put the garmin off a bit. But there certainly is a question mark there.

I only ever one marathon that was short on Thr garmin. I would be very peed off if I ran a pb and it was short. I might claim it but I would know inside
    blockic wrote: »
    Yeah, my garmin was 13.03 for the half and I know 2 others that were 12.88 and 12.78. There was a fair bit of tree coverage around most of the course which likely put the garmin off a bit. But there certainly is a question mark there.

I agree with both of you here. I'm almost relieved that I did not run a PB on that course as I would now have a question mark hanging over my time.

One comment on the munsterrunning blog said he noticed that the miles on his GPS in the "open" were spot on but not in the area that was heavily covered by the trees, which makes him/her think it was the GPS that was out, not the official measurements. If that is wishful thinking or a genuine argument, I do not know.

However I enjoyed it very much and I'm pretty sure I'll be back next year. Next time I'll decide beforehand if it's supposed to be a race or a training run, though. :rolleyes:

Yeah, my garmin came up at 42.08km, so again a little short.
    I would agree with the tree cover causing problems, it was gloriously dense in places.
    I had a quick scan through the (per second) tcx file and it looks like it didn't have any drops, but too many individual points to accurately verify, so I'm going to go with the tree cover theory and keep my PB, thank you very much. :D:D:p

I'm sure I'll get over the guilt / doubt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

An interesting experiment here on garmins and the effect of running in dense tree coverage. Think I will give it the benefit of the doubt.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/06/2011-sport-device-gps-accuracy-in-depth_09.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

That pretty much sums up my race. :D And thanks. :)

Great run Thomas, congratulations on stepping onto the podium!

I didn't realise there were so many marathons in Killarney as just this morning I got an email about the Killarney Marathon on July 20th! Is it just the two or are there any more hiding there :)

opus wrote: »
    I didn't realise there were so many marathons in Killarney as just this morning I got an email about the Killarney Marathon on July 20th! Is it just the two or are there any more hiding there :)

Those two are the only ones I know about :D

Both are new this year, though the one in July used to be a 15 miles with a stupid name.

I think the RD is getting a bit fed up with this:
    Guys, just to clear up any confusion as there seems to be a lot of comment from garmin GPS wearers. The distance for both races was measured with a Jones counter, not once but twice, 3 months apart as i wanted to be 100% sure the distance was correct. And it is. Those wearing GPS please note that i have had mails from people claim they measured the full course it at anything from 26.1 miles to 27.9 miles which just shows how inconsistent and unreliable they were. There is more tree coverage on the route than on most other marathons which as you know affects the GPS. So please, if anyone wants to come measure it themselves with a jones counter feel free but they will absolutely find that the measurement was correct.

We'll just have to take his word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

Well done Thomas on the podium finish. I ran this on saturday and enjoyed it. Really liked the course and the fact that it wasn't too packed on the route added to it. Number collection on the day was a big plus for me and shower facilities afterward also. Would definitely go back and run this again if on next year. Thanks to Grellan for pacing the 3.15 and also to Seamus who helped to pass the miles away so quickly.

Advertisement