Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IBT esential?

• 06-01-2013 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

After the Theory Test is passed, is it posible to get a provisional licence and get on the road without IBT?

What would be the steps to get on the road?

1.Theory Test
    3... etc.

Thank in advance
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

IBT is essential, your Learner Permit isn't really valid without it.

It's one of the cheaper things you'll spend money on for a bike when getting started, so just get it done :) It's a one off if you're over 24, if not it's a 2 time thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

RSA has all the info.
    You must do IBT training 1st before you can ride alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

you technically do not have a licence/cert/what ever you want to call it till after the IBT..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Mr Motorcycle

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Hi All,

After the Theory Test is passed, is it posible to get a provisional licence and get on the road without IBT?

What would be the steps to get on the road?

1.Theory Test
    3... etc.

Thank in advance
    Gary

First off is not a provisional licence

Its a LEARNER PERMIT in other words a permit to learn.

You must do the IBT before you ride a motorcycle on a public road.

Insurance companys will quote you for cover but you are not insured unless you have an IBT cert.

Even if you have paid the premium and have the insurance policy in your hand.

Theory test
    Obtain learner permit
    IBT
    you must hold a learner permit for a minamum of six months before your allowed to apply for your test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Try not to take shortcuts when it comes to motorbikes m8....you will live longer. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Try not to take shortcuts when it comes to motorbikes m8....you will live longer. ;)
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Ill be doing all by the book wanna do it and be as safe as possible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Insurance companys will quote you for cover but you are not insured unless you have an IBT cert.

This bit isn't true but do the IBT and all will be fine.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    This bit isn't true but do the IBT and all will be fine.

I think you will find that it is

If you have an accident your insurance company will pay the third party for any damage (they are legally obliged because they took your money)

However you will be fined /and get points for no insurance by gardai
    Once the conviction has been processed by the courts

Then your own insurance company can persue you for any damages which they paid to the third party

(As explained to me by a traffic core garda,but sure what would he know its only his job)

The issue here is the legislation which covers the IBT, the insurance companys are quiet within their rights to offer you cover but its up to you to comply with the law

Insurance companys are just that ltd companys

The law however is a differnt matter

As i have said many times before ,i didnt know, wont cut it when your standing in front of the judge

If your so sure just ring your own insurance company(ask to speak to a supervisor) and ask that very question

You might be suprised with the answer

The bottom line is no IBT cert = no insurance

I
    If you have an accident your insurance company will pay the third party for any damage (they are legally obliged because they took your money)

As I said, you are insured. There have been numerous threads about this re restriction, permits etc.
    Insurance companies thankfully can't write the law (nor do traffic corps for that matter), your facts are correct and you're contradicting your original post.
    Once you have insurance, you have insurance, simples, the gardai should/would be more interested in your permit, btw, the gardai cannot fine you or give you points, that's for the court.

Totally agree it's stupid to go without it but facts are facts, once they've taken payment you are insured, you're taking a massive risk on something silly tbh, better to be safe and unlike the restriction laws this one actually makes a bit of sense.

• Advertisement

As I said, you are insured. There have been numerous threads about this re restriction, permits etc.
    Insurance companies thankfully can't write the law (nor do traffic corps for that matter), your facts are correct and you're contradicting your original post.
    Once you have insurance, you have insurance, simples, the gardai should/would be more interested in your permit, btw, the gardai cannot fine you or give you points, that's for the court.

Totally agree it's stupid to go without it but facts are facts, once they've taken payment you are insured, you're taking a massive risk on something silly tbh, better to be safe and unlike the restriction laws this one actually makes a bit of sense.

The point is in the eyes of the law you are not insured unless you have an IBT cert

If you were insured then you would not be open to points/fines from the courts
    The bit that sez
    Once the conviction has been processed by the courts

Read the post properly i didnt say the gardai gave you the points or fines

The law is the bottom line because the insurance company will use the law when they take the shirt off your back to recoup their money

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

As far as i understand your insurance would be null and void as you gave false information

I was told that in order for your licence to be validated you HAVE to complete the ibt course:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

nerrad1983 wrote: »
    As far as i understand your insurance would be null and void as you gave false information

I was told that in order for your licence to be validated you HAVE to complete the ibt course:cool:

Nobody knows until it happens. All guesswork ATM. In theory any of the above could happen and the law is there but it's up to a judge in the end.
    Btw no insurance if charged is 5 penalty points and a mandatory court appearance. Enough said.

The point is in the eyes of the law you are not insured unless you have an IBT cert
    What do you base this on?
    You are covered 3rd party, once covered you are complying with the law on the insurance point, permit is a different thing, I have yet to hear of anyone prosecuted using that logic.
    The law is the bottom line because the insurance company will use the law when they take the shirt off your back to recoup their money

Absolutely right.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

just gonna chime in and play devils advocate, gonna repost somthing i posted on another forum but nobody really knew the answer to.

bitburger wrote:
    I know ive asked this before and since i know several people driving around without ibts(that need them) i thought i would bring up the question again because i was having it out with one of the mates the other day and the EDT (car ibt) does not need to be done before going on the road apparently

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Driver-Training/Car-Training-EDT/Commonly-asked-questions-about-EDT/
    Is it an offence to drive a car before I finish EDT?

It is not an offence as long as you are complying with all other regulations (Insurance, car tax, NCT, accompanying driver etc) but you will have to complete EDT before you can sit your driving tes

the same faq regarding ibt does not have the same question within it, I know a good few ibtless people stopped who have had nothing said to them also.

Where abouts in the statue book does it say its a requirement to have it? also wondering what would the charges for driving without an ibt be? lets not include the insurance argument since its already been covered on here.

just trying to educate myself a bit better, thankfully im pre ibt but will have to do a module 5 sometime in the future when the time comes to move from my A2 to A, have to pass the old A test first and get my A2

What do you base this on?
    You are covered 3rd party, once covered you are complying with the law on the insurance point, permit is a different thing, I have yet to hear of anyone prosecuted using that logic.

Absolutely right.

statutory instrument si 681/2011 in other words the law
    covers IBT have a good read of it and then come back and tell me that you dont have to do IBT before you go on the road

when you do read it and realise you are not complying with the law unless you have an IBT cert or your accompanied by an instructor

so no your not covered on the insurance point

read the small print on your insurance you must disclose all relavent facts
    the fact that you dont have a IBT cert as required by law is pretty relavent wouldnt you say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I think you're going a bit off topic here. Bottom line is:

1. Test
    2. Learner permit
    3. Ibt

Until you have these u can't/shouldn't drive.

szatan84 wrote: »
    I think you're going a bit off topic here. Bottom line is:

1. Test
    2. Learner permit
    3. Ibt

Until you have these u can't/shouldn't drive.

i agree with you to a degree, but we are debating the point as to why you need an IBT cert.

And its standing in law and the implications for insurance so its still relevant

statutory instrument si 681/2011 in other words the law
    covers IBT have a good read of it and then come back and tell me that you dont have to do IBT before you go on the road

when you do read it and realise you are not complying with the law unless you have an IBT cert or your accompanied by an instructor

so no your not covered on the insurance point

read the small print on your insurance you must disclose all relavent facts
    the fact that you dont have a IBT cert as required by law is pretty relavent wouldnt you say

Where did I ever mention it was ok not to do IBT before going on the road?

I never said it was legal either, please take just a minute to actually read posts you're commenting on.

Once again, yes, you are covered third party regardless.

As requested, could you give one example of someone being prosecuted for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pauric141

so you cant hold an ibt untill your 16 and a half ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

pauric141 wrote: »
    so you cant hold an ibt untill your 16 and a half ?

16 for an 'M' or A1 Learner Permit ('M' will change to 'AM' from 19th Januaty)

bitburger wrote: »
    just gonna chime in and play devils advocate, gonna repost somthing i posted on another forum but nobody really knew the answer to.

Where abouts in the statue book does it say its a requirement to have it? also wondering what would the charges for driving without an ibt be? lets not include the insurance argument since its already been covered on here.

just trying to educate myself a bit better, thankfully im pre ibt but will have to do a module 5 sometime in the future when the time comes to move from my A2 to A, have to pass the old A test first and get my A2

Go to RSA.ie and put IBT fines into the search box (No IBT punishable to a min fine of 1000 euro for a first offence).

It is in law that you must have IBT completed before you ride on a public road unaccompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

thanks roadcraft, actually found the Statuatory instrument which says you need the ibt after asking above there, does that mean that us bikers must have ibt but car drivers do not need to have edt done until they want to take a test?

interesting the guards dont seem to be enforcing it though,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

bitburger wrote: »
    thanks roadcraft, actually found the Statuatory instrument which says you need the ibt after asking above there, does that mean that us bikers must have ibt but car drivers do not need to have edt done until they want to take a test?

interesting the guards dont seem to be enforcing it though,

Answer is Yes.
    learner Bike riders must have the compulsory IBT training done before they can ride alone legally.
    A Car learner should have a full licence driver with them in the car when driving. They are only obliged to have the EDT lessons completed before their car test.
    Car learners are NOT restricted to the size of engine or power.

Blame the people who were elected to represent the people of this country.

Answer is Yes.
    learner Bike riders must have the compulsory IBT training done before they can ride alone legally.
    A Car learner should have a full licence driver with them in the car when driving. They are only obliged to have the EDT lessons completed before their car test.
    Car learners are NOT restricted to the size of engine or power.

Blame the people who were elected to represent the people of this country.

I have heard a rumor that all thats about to change in the very near future in relation to edt.
    That said i dont know a lot about EDT as i only instruct on bikes but watch this space

I have heard a rumor that all thats about to change in the very near future in relation to edt.
    That said i dont know a lot about EDT as i only instruct on bikes but watch this space

Heard the same thing from a fairly reliable source.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pauric141

Roadcraft wrote: »
    16 for an 'M' or A1 Learner Permit ('M' will change to 'AM' from 19th Januaty)

so am will be for a 50cc 45kmh restriction ? the learner permet doesnt change its just a differnt letter(s) ? have i got it right

pauric141 wrote: »
    so am will be for a 50cc 45kmh restriction ? the learner permet doesnt change its just a differnt letter(s) ? have i got it right

'AM' Mopeds (Same as before) & Light Quadricycles.
    'A1' Motorcycles Max 125cc 11kw (Same as before) & Motor Tricycles not exceeding 15kw.
    'A2' Motorcycles not exceeding 35kw or 0.2kw/kg & not derived from a motorcycle of more than 70kw.
    'A' Motorcycles & Motor Tricycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Joeranty91

so can somebody please give a final answer to this question
    I pass my bike theory test today, can i get insured today and ride on the road tomorrow?
    or do I have to do this ibt course before i get on the road?
    someone mentioned to me that i only have to do one lesson before i go on the road, is this true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Joeranty91 wrote: »
    so can somebody please give a final answer to this question
    I pass my bike theory test today, can i get insured today and ride on the road tomorrow?
    or do I have to do this ibt course before i get on the road?
    someone mentioned to me that i only have to do one lesson before i go on the road, is this true?

You need to
    - Pass theory test
    - Complete IBT
    - Get insurance

Then you can ride on your own.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement