Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IBT esential?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Joeranty91 wrote: »
    so can somebody please give a final answer to this question

This question was already answered several times. Did you not read through the thread before posting?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

P.C. wrote: »
    You need to
    - Pass theory test
    - Complete IBT
    - Get insurance

Then you can ride on your own.

Pass theory test
    Get learner permit (Can't do IBT without it)
    Complete IBT
    Get insurance

Then you can ride on your own

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You wouldnt ride down a motorway with no crash helmet,would you??

Think about it.

Do it propperly and legally...or dont do it at all.

Its as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭razor_ryan

What about people on their 2nd learner permit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

I rode bikes of all sorts as a teen but never did my full Licence. Returned to biking 30yrs later kicking the ars@ out of 50. Had to do IBT upto level 5 to get the A permit. It has drilled me to save myself and be a better rider.....it has been the best loot I have ever spent. Hours on end with a guy you nearly want to hate chirping in your ear do this, do that......I nearly want to string up the instructor initially as mr know all here.....well out on my own that niggling instructor has saved my ass with positioning, road sense, life savers etc etc drilled into me. The gas thing is that b@ll@x of an instructor who made my life misery drilling me in all types of weather......we have ended up good pals.

IBT is utterly essential......it engrains the tools and methods to be a safer rider (a) for you and (b) for other road users.

Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

IBT is utterly essential......it engrains the tools and methods to be a safer rider (a) for you and (b) for other road users.

Totally disagree with that but if the law says you have to then just do it and get on with enjoying the summer.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    Totally disagree with that but if the law says you have to then just do it and get on with enjoying the summer.

I couldnt agree more with that statement actually.

Id love to see how many non IBT full licence bikers here would actually be able to do the IBT and then pass their test 1st time around again,with reagrds to their mental awareness and physical bike skills and road positioning.

paddy147 wrote: »
    I couldnt agree more with that statement actually.

Id love to see how many non IBT full licence bikers here would actually be able to do the IBT and then pass their test 1st time around again,with reagrds to their mental awareness and physical bike skills and road positioning.

Good for you, but how would that make it essential? surely the fact that they are still on the road disproves your point.

Good for you, but how would that make it essential? surely the fact that they are still on the road disproves your point.

I totally agree with the statement above .

An IBT makes a person more mentaly aware and conscious and also makes them a safer rider for it too.

You seem to think not.....but thats your opinion,which you are entitled to.

But please do tell me how you think that above statement by Suasdaguna1 is not a correct statement.

But please do tell me how you think that above statement by Suasdaguna1 is not a correct statement.

Fairly obvious but I don't believe IBT is essential, it's a good idea maybe but not essential -that's how.

• Advertisement

Fairly obvious but I don't believe IBT is essential, it's a good idea maybe but not essential -that's how.

Why is an IBT not essential for anyone who wants to get their bike licence and ride a bike??

Why is an IBT not essential for anyone who wants to get their bike licence and ride a bike??

Where does it say that?

Obviously if the law requires it then any new rider has to do it but I really don't see the need for it in the first place, I don't know a single rider who didn't already do their homework albeit unofficially before they started.

Where does it say that?

Obviously if the law requires it then any new rider has to do it but I really don't see the need for it in the first place, I don't know a single rider who didn't already do their homework albeit unofficially before they started.

Im asking you to tell us why an IBT is not essential for a person to get a licence and ride a bike on the road.

You are the one who is saying its not essential...so please tell me why it isnt.

Im asking you to tell us why an IBT is not essential for a person to get a licence and ride a bike on the road.

You are the one who is saying its not essential...so please tell me why it isnt.

Troll much?
    I didn't say IBT isn't required to get a licence or anything like that,, please take time to read the post you're getting all worked up about.

Troll much?
    I didn't say IBT isn't required to get a licence or anything like that,, please take time to read the post you're getting all worked up about.

Read your posts again from Post 37 onwards

You dont agree that an IBT is essential.

I have asked you several times now why it isnt essential...and you will not answer me.

Dont avoid me and dont avoid your own posts.

Instead please tell me why its not essential for a person to do an IBT to get their licence and ride a bike.

Read your posts again.

You dont agree that an IBT is essential.

Please tell me why its not essential.

Once again, please read my post carefully, you're obviouly having difficulty with it.

IMO IBT isn't essential to engrain the tools and methods to be a safer rider (a) for you and (b) for other road users. By all means feel free to disagree.

I haven't avoided anything, what are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

When you are a fugh wit like me that's out of the loop so long and sits up on a 1200cc bike , one needs all the help they can get.

I just don't know where you are coming from thinking you can jump up on a 1200cc bike without instruction.....that's where I was at.

I just don't know where you are coming from thinking you can jump up on a 1200cc bike without instruction.....that's where I was at.

Did I say anything even remotely like that anywhere?

You can do it but I wouldn't recommend it.

Once again, please read my post carefully, you're obviouly having difficulty with it.

IMO IBT isn't essential to engrain the tools and methods to be a safer rider (a) for you and (b) for other road users. By all means feel free to disagree.

I haven't avoided anything, what are you on about?

So you must have reasons why an IBT isnt essential....seen as you dont agree with Suasdaguna1......(your post 37)

Please post those reasons.

That is what is being asked of you on several occasions now.

Why do you think its not essential for a person do an IBT in order to get a licence and ride a bike.

So you must have reasons whay an IBT isnt essential.

Please post those reasons.

I believe anyone considering riding a bike is capable of making their own mind up about training and that they shouldn't be forced to pay for lessons they could get from another experienced rider.

Why do you think its not essential for a person to not do an IBT in order to get a licence and ride a bike.

Once again, please read the post, I never said in any shape or form that anyone can/ should get a licence without completing IBT, now instead of repeatedly accusing me of this can you actually show me where I posted this?

• Advertisement

I believe anyone considering riding a bike is capable of making their own mind up about training and that they shouldn't be forced to pay for lessons they could get from another experienced rider.

Once again, please read the post, I never said in any shape or form that anyone can/ should get a licence without completing IBT, now instead of repeatedly accusing me of this can you actually show me where I posted this?

Bladespin...you have said on several posts here that its not essential...since post 37.

I asked you why it wasnt or isnt essential.

You wouldnt answer me.
    You finally answered me on post 51.

Now it was a very simple question that I asked you,and you couldnt seem to understand or answer,and you seemed to get muddled up a fair bit,by posting different things and flip flopping around.

I think you actually need to read your own posts from post 37 onwards and read what you were asked,and then what you posted.

Bladespin...you have said on several posts here that its not essential...since post 37.

I asked you why it wasnt or isnt essential.

You wouldnt answer me.

It was a very simple question that you couldnt seem to understand or answer,and you seemed to get muddled up a fair bit,but posting different things.

I think you actually need to read your own posts from post 37 onwards and read what you have posted.
    Think you need to just get a grip.

I answered every time you questioned me, read again please.

I disagree IBT is essential to be safe rider - I really don't understand your problem with this, can you show me how I'm wrong?

I never once said you can get a licence without it, show me where I did this? I'm very aware of what I posted.

Edit* You never asked me why I didn't consider IBT essential, you kept asking how it wasn't essential for a licence etc, something I hand't posted.

Think you need to just get a grip.

I answered every time you questioned me, read again please.

I disagree IBT is essential to be safe rider - I really don't understand your problem with this, can you show me how I'm wrong?

I never once said you can get a licence without it, show me where I did this? I'm very aware of what I posted.

No one ever said that of you or about you.

You were asked wny it wasnt essential for a person to do an IBT.

Go and read your posts and what you were asked,

Keep on track here now with the posts and what you were asked.

I asked you a simple question from post 38 onwards,and you couldnt seem to grasp that question and answer it.......until post 51.

PS-You flip flopped all over the place with out any reasons for why you thought it not being essential and then you went on about trolling.

Why do you think its not essential for a person do an IBT in order to get a licence and ride a bike.

Did you not post this above Paddy, or have I missed something?

Flip flop? What on earth are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Joeranty91 wrote: »
    so can somebody please give a final answer to this question
    I pass my bike theory test today, can i get insured today and ride on the road tomorrow?
    or do I have to do this ibt course before i get on the road?
    someone mentioned to me that i only have to do one lesson before i go on the road, is this true?

Final answer : get your learner permit and then complete the FULL IBT course before you can Legally ride on the public roads alone.

Did you not post this above Paddy, or have I missed something?

Did you not post this in reply to a person saying that an IBT was/is essential for getting their licence......

I then asked you why it wasnt essential for a person to to an IBT in order to get their licence and ride a motorbike.

You wouldnt asnwer me.

All you could come up with was waffle and "its obvious" and then talk about "trolling"..........................in other words flip flopping and avoiding a very simple question.

READ YOUR OWN POSTS AGAIN.

Did you not post this in reply to a person saying that an IBT was/is essential for getting their licence......

Did I say anywhere it wasn't essential for a licence? No, not once, once again read my posts and you'll see this.

Just so we're very, very clear:

is the statement I disagreed with, nothing else, no mention of licence etc, if you actually read my previous posts you'd see I advised the OP to complete their IBT etc.

Did I say anywhere it wasn't essential for a licence? No, not once, once again read my posts and you'll see this.

Re-read your own posts for a change.

You now seem to say/suggest (as your one and only reason) that an "experienced biker" can teach a person the exact same things that an accredited IBT bike instructor can and will teach a person on the road.

You serious about that?

Just so we're very, very clear:

is the statement I disagreed with, nothing else, no mention of licence etc, if you actually read my previous posts you'd see I advised the OP to complete their IBT etc.

And whats an IBT for again and what does it do for a rider.?

Engage your brain.

• Advertisement

Re-read your own posts for a change.

I have, you're seeing things.

You now seem to say/suggest (as your one and only reason) that an "experienced biker" can teach a person the exact same things that an accredited IBT bike instructor can and will teach a person on the road.

You serious about that?

I didn't say that either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement