Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IBT esential?

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

bladespin wrote: »
    I have, you're seeing things.

I didn't say that either.

I believe anyone considering riding a bike is capable of making their own mind up about training and that they shouldn't be forced to pay for lessons they could get from another experienced rider.

Doesnt an IBT have to be done with an accredited and certifed IBT bike instructor for a very good reason???

A reason which you disagree with from post 37 onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

paddy147 wrote: »
    I believe anyone considering riding a bike is capable of making their own mind up about training and that they shouldn't be forced to pay for lessons they could get from another experienced rider.

Yep,Im seeing what you posted.

Ok then, show me where I say that "an "experienced biker" can teach a person the exact same things that an accredited IBT bike instructor can and will teach a person on the road." - I do think that should be an option though, after all it's basic training.

Also, isn't an accredited IBT bike instructor just an experienced rider after all?

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Ok then, show me where I say that "an "experienced biker" can teach a person the exact same things that an accredited IBT bike instructor can and will teach a person on the road." - I do think that should be an option though, after all it's basic training.

Read the post again and also what you disagree with on post 37.

Then ask yourself this......

Whats an IBT for and what its purpose for a bike rider???

Read above this post again.

Just did, enjoyed it but don't see where I said it's exactly the same thing, just that basic training is basic training, and the experienced rider option should be available.

I also struggle with justifying IBT anyway, I don't see how it's reducing accidents etc.

Just did, enjoyed it but don't see where I said it's exactly the same thing, just that basic training is basic training, and the experienced rider option should be available.

I also struggle with justifying IBT anyway, I don't see how it's reducing accidents etc.

But surre you could be riding bike for 10,20 or 30+ years.

That doesnt mean that you know everything on the likes road safety,road positioning,bike maintanance and general safety awareness and of other road users and also road signs/markings.

Thats where an accredited IBT instructor comes into play.

An IBT is essential for a person wishing/wanting to get their licence ride a bike on the road....regardless of whether its a little bike or a huge big powerfull sports bike.

IBT is essential for alot of reasons.

• Advertisement

Thats it for me...bed now.

Nite bladespin.

Take care and be safe out there tomorrow.

Allready 1 biker death down in Athy this bank holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

You can do it but I wouldn't recommend it.

That's why I did the whole ibt thing upto level5 which was a requirement for what I wanted to do, plus more instruction thrown it. Your agreement that IBT training is worthless is utterly flawed. If it saves another life well that's a win win.

It's saved me by being disciplined....what were my other choices? Look up done deal or my local supermarket....bike instructor available?

Your agreement that IBT training is worthless is utterly flawed. If it saves another life well that's a win win.

Where did I say that? I never said it was worthless.

I don't think it's essential to be safe but I'd recommend training to anyone,
    I just think it should be their choice to do it and who to do it with - that's all.

Can anyone recommend an IBT instructor who knows everything about bikes and roadcraft? No? It's just not possible but I's bet that if a learner spent 16 hours riding with your average experienced rider they would be pretty safe, not perfect but safe, at the end of it - that's my point.

On an aside, if safety was the ultimate goal then the same rules would apply to cars but they don't you can legally take a car on the road with an experienced driver as a learner without ICT etc, how come that's considered fine but different? Another reason I have an issue with compulsory IBT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Troll

Troll

Where?

Off for a blast, hopefully it stays dry, as Paddy says above, have a safe and enjoyable long weekend regardless of whether or not you're IBT'd ;)

Oh and watch the speed, there's supposed to be a clamp down today.

• Advertisement

Where?

Off for a blast, hopefully it stays dry, as Paddy says above, have a safe and enjoyable long weekend regardless of whether or not you're IBT'd ;)

Oh and watch the speed, there's supposed to be a clamp down today.

You are still here/online though.:pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Right, enough of this crap. Paddy can take a 2 week holiday - and it will be longer next time. I'm sick of the constant reported posts. Others please don't feed the trolls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement