Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to new zealand

• 06-01-2013 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭

Whats new zealand like at the moment to live in.Is there plenty of work right across the board or is just generally in construction.Is it a child friendly country,whats child care,schools ,education like in generally.Is there a good health care system hospitals and so on.Is it a dear place to live with food ,rent and so on ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Whats it like to live in? Excellent.

Is there plenty of work right across the board or is just generally in construction?
    - Plenty of work right across the board, Construction being one of the boom sectors due to the earthquake.

Is it a child friendly country?
    - Come on, really? What kind of question is that? Of course it is! In my opinion the kiwi lifestyle for children is better than that is more 'wholesome' (not better, just different) to that of Irish kids.

whats child care,schools ,education like in generally?
    -Education seems good (not that I can speak from experience, no kids) but their schools seem to have more focus than what I've seen at home, and be more driven.

Is there a good health care system hospitals and so on.
    - Yes, good health care system, not that I've needed it in the 2.5 years I've been here.

Is it a dear place to live with food ,rent and so on ...
    - Auckland is expensive, rent is high due to the housing shortage, and food costs are a bit dearer than home, however the work/lifestyle balance and actual summer sunshine makes up for this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭GalwayGirl00

Hey, my husband has been offered a job around Christchurch in construction.he has been out of work here in ireland 2years, so he really wants to work. We are a bit worried bout the price of rent etc, can anyone gives us an idea on how much rent he would pay, taxes etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

trademe.co.nz for looking at properties

Tax is lower than in Ireland, GST (VAT) is also lower, motor tax is lower, fuel is cheaper, car insurance not mandatory, house insirance etc will be higher with earthquake risks (all of NZ)
    Pay Level, Tax ex ACC, Tax inc ACC
    up to $14,000 10.5 cents 12.20 cents
    from $14,001 to $48,000 17.5 cents 19.20 cents
    from $48,001 to $70,000 30 cents 31.70 cents
    $70,001 and over 33 cents 34.70 cents
    No notification** 45 cents 46.70 cents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

car insurance not mandatory

But you'd be an utter moron not to get at least third party insurance, which is massively cheaper than in Ireland anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,100 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pay Level, Tax ex ACC, Tax inc ACC

And there is ACC, which a 24x7 no-fault, accident insurance scheme, funded by a payroll tax.

It means you can organise a neighbourhood bbq without needing public-liability insurance!

If you have an accident, it pays to fix you up, and part-pays your wages (80% last time I claimed) while you're off work.

It's actually the thing I miss 2nd most. (real sunshine is the 1st most missed!)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for the info, now on the other hand if he takes the job and all is well, i would be joining him with our 3 kids. Given they ages of our kids i would need to live near a primary, secondary and a college! Any ideas on good areas to live with good schools?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

MrCreosote wrote: »
    But you'd be an utter moron not to get at least third party insurance, which is massively cheaper than in Ireland anyway.

you have default third party insurance by dint of the rego so don't need to do that. Comp is dirt cheap anyway though. I'm 28, 7 years licence, driving a 3.5l petrol and is only $380 for me and the wife :):):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Good areas in CHCH - Merivale, Riccarton, Cashmere, Avonside
    Bad areas in CHCH - Linwood, Aranui...

I live in Avonside, its not posh but not a dump either. Of course the "better" the neighbourhood the more rent you pay. I'm living in whats pretty much a red zoned area and my house is 600 dollars a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

you have default third party insurance by dint of the rego so don't need to do that.

Not in NZ. In Australia you do (some states at least).

It's not the end of the world because personal injury claims all go under ACC but you would still get stung for property damage.

+1 on ACC being awesome though. It's the reason so many public events can be run, like running/cycling events and even the good old sausage sizzles.

Red zone area??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Red zone area??

My street and the three streets beside me are being demolished starting in six weeks time. Red Zone. Earthquake hit Avonside pretty bad. They're turning it into park land because nothing can be built in this area anymore because its right on a fault line.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 danielstook

Hey, my husband has been offered a job around Christchurch in construction.he has been out of work here in ireland 2years, so he really wants to work. We are a bit worried bout the price of rent etc, can anyone gives us an idea on how much rent he would pay, taxes etc?

hi galwaygirl,

do you mind me asking, what job was your husband offered ? how did it all come about? could you please tell me a little about the process please?

thanks !

Advertisement