Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about giving keys back to the bank..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

mrmitty wrote: »
    If you read my post correctly you'll see what my crystal ball is and no, there is no contradiction in my post.

Further to my post I'd argue that there is no meeting of the minds in these contracts because on side , the buyer has pertinent information withheld (sales history) and therefore these contracts should not be enforceable
    The only people I'd like to see in shackles are the people who were the architects of this ponzi scheme.
    Again, how many of them are held accountable?
    The wink, wink, nod, nod culture in Ireland is despicable IMO.

I fully agree with your last sentiments - the "ah shure it'll be grand!" approach coupled with the "who you know" mindset is indeed one of (if not THE) biggest problems we have in this country really and until it changes we won't ever evolve/grow as a country.

But part of that is accepting responsibility for ones actions and choices in life - such as in the case of the OP here. No one forced him to sign for a mortgage, and I'm sorry "but everyone else was doing it/the media told us the prices were only going to keep rising" etc isn't a valid excuse in my book.

No one NEEDS to own property. It's something I can only put down to the 800 years nonsense of "dey tuk our land!" that has left us with a national obsession around owning a half-assed built semi-D in the middle of nowhere or a shoebox sized "apartment" in the suburbs for the price of a small fortune just to "get on the property ladder" (a term I despise I have to say)
    That and greed/keeping up with the Joneses - where many people became convinced that they too could become property kings, flipping them every few years for a tidy profit.

Well I'm sorry, because while I have every sympathy for those who are now genuinely struggling as a result, but those choices were made by people who were aware (or whose duty it was to be aware) of all the responsibility and consequences of that action - INCLUDING the line "your investment/home may go down (in value) as well as up"

Again, I got the calls every fortnight too from the bank offering me "free money" and I had friends telling me that "shure renting is dead money" (which it's not - I have the sole use of a apartment right now that's 8 minutes from my workplace, close to major shopping centres and the M50, LUAS adjacent etc - none of which I could have afforded if I was buying), but maybe because I was a teenager in the 80s and lived through some very hard financial times as a family, I appreciate the value of a euro and thus realised that no way was the aforementioned shoebox/semi-D on the northside of Dublin (for example) every actually WORTH nearly half a MILLION of those euros!

I'm not saying I'm a financial guru or could see the future, but it shouldn't be my problem (or financial liability as a taxpayer) that others went nuts and overextended themselves either - no more than I'd expect anyone else to pay my personal loan for example.
    mrmitty wrote: »
    And respectfully I'd argue that it's attitudes like yours that if left unchallenged will guarantee many more generations of of Irish to be condemned to subjugation.

Again. as per the above, this might sound harsh but that's tough! You roll the dice and you take your chances. There's no guarantees in life, just as there never actually was in property. Certainly the lenders should be legally required to work with their clients to make those repayments realistic/manageable but that's as far as it goes. I have my own debts and bills to pay, I don't need anyone else's as well.
    cookie1977 wrote: »
    I'd agree with some of what you say but that debt forgiveness in some situations is valid. Say a person looses their PPR/PDH and they have no money. Bank sells home and there's still an outstanding balance. If it's shown that the owner cannot pay and payment would lead to penal servitude then the overhang should be forgiven. Let the person start again. There's no more that can be down to them.
    I can see where you're coming from, I really can, but the fact is that that debt doesn't just disappear - it's merely passed on to someone else. In this case that's the customers of that bank through higher fees/charges, and seeing as the public "owns" most of these banks now, the taxpayer generally has to pay the tab - and THAT'S where my problem is with it.

If it were the case that the banks were absorbing these losses from their own balance sheets then I'd be more open to the idea, but they're not and they won't when they can pass the bill off to the rest of us.
    Re politics. Why not enter yourself (honest question that). Also a proportional representation system with a list system would stop the parish politics substantially

You wouldn't be the first to suggest that :) but alas as the system exists today any real change is impossible (party whip system being one big reason). Even if you run as/vote for an Independent, you'll still end up with one of the "big two" who as as bad as each other

Unfortunately the ones needed to make those changes are the ones who benefit most from the current system... which brings me back to the start of this post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

The Net figure isnt as dramatic -- 52,700 came to Ireland during the same period - 20,600 of whom were Irish nationals

Any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Net migration is actually -34,400.

Considering we're supposed to be in a baby boom the population shifts downward from the boom years are huge.

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/441562-population-and-migration-estimates-april-2012.html#document/p1

236252.jpg

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

I can see where you're coming from, I really can, but the fact is that that debt doesn't just disappear - it's merely passed on to someone else. In this case that's the customers of that bank through higher fees/charges, and seeing as the public "owns" most of these banks now, the taxpayer generally has to pay the tab - and THAT'S where my problem is with it.

If it were the case that the banks were absorbing these losses from their own balance sheets then I'd be more open to the idea, but they're not and they won't when they can pass the bill off to the rest of us.

You wouldn't be the first to suggest that :) but alas as the system exists today any real change is impossible (party whip system being one big reason). Even if you run as/vote for an Independent, you'll still end up with one of the "big two" who as as bad as each other

Unfortunately the ones needed to make those changes are the ones who benefit most from the current system... which brings me back to the start of this post :)

It does come back to the banks but there are a major cause of all of this. I still dont see how you can push blame and therefore cost solely on to all people in arrears. The solution will cost someone yes but why not create a super tax for a period of time on the banks or a super fine (as was muted by the USA on their banks). Yes the banks will recoup it through charges etc but what exactly do you do about that?

I said it before, I still think that there's so much arrears and so much more potential arrears if/when rates or more taxes/external pressures increase (there is a time bomb that's going to go off soon, maybe late this year maybe next year but very soon as far as I'm concerned). If you want the domestic economy to grow you've got to give people confidence to spend and no matter how much some hate the idea of debt deals or limited debt forgiveness, we need these people to be spending in the economy. I've talked before about deals that may help with this but like it or not something has to be done other than out right repossessions and saddling people with debt for decades. It has to. The economy will not grow without it without it.

• Advertisement

I said it before, I still think that there's so much arrears and so much more potential arrears if/when rates or more taxes/external pressures increase (there is a time bomb that's going to go off soon, maybe late this year maybe next year but very soon as far as I'm concerned). If you want the domestic economy to grow you've got to give people confidence to spend and no matter how much some hate the idea of debt deals or limited debt forgiveness, we need these people to be spending in the economy. I've talked before about deals that may help with this but like it or not something has to be done other than out right repossessions and saddling people with debt for decades. It has to. The economy will not grow without it without it.

The problem with what you're advocating though is that it validates reckless spending and a shirking of responsibility as an acceptable lifestyle choice.

Person A goes mad in the good times, buys his new BMW every year, overextends himself on his mortgage, foreign holidays, home improvements, credit cards, loans and then cries foul when it eventually comes time to pay the piper

Person B is prudent.. saves for what he wants (maybe with a manageable loan), makes the car last longer, rents a place and puts some money aside.

Why should B have to pay for A's mistakes - in fact why should B pay his bills at all when A can be "forgiven" or gets to "start over" entirely!

I suppose it's an inevitable consequence of our PC, compo-seeking, blame someone else except yourself, culture that has grown in the "modern world" since the late 80s - but I still don't see how it's the "right" choice!

Maybe I realy AM old (at 37!) because I was raised that you take responsibility for your actions and your decisions, pay your debts FIRST and then "party" and that there are no shortcuts in life.. guess my parents were wrong, because in modern Ireland that seems to be exactly what's being advocated by a lot of people.

More fool me for playing by the rules of society and expecting everyone else to do likewise I guess!

Yes but was it all reckless spending and shirking responsibility. Do you actually really believ it was all that? Because I dont. That to me is generalisation. It's too simple to say everything fits that nicely together because it simply isn't true. Yes of course some did do what you say but not all. And to punish those who are trying to sort themselves out isn't going to help everyone.

We've bailed the banks out (rightly or wrongly) and it seems we've benefited very little as a society (socially and economically).

If there are options to help people who are struggling with their primary residential property then all these must be explored. Giving back the keys or bankruptcy should not be the only options for these people who are trying to get back on their feet and who are trying to cut their cloth to their measure.

We'll all benefit from this I believe. I'm in agreement in that people should take responsibility for their actions but I dont want to drive every nail into them if they're doing everything they can to pay back debt and get on with their lives. Yes go get the ones with BTL's and who are still trying to live teh life of reilly while not paying their mortgages but not everyone is doing this and it is those that need this help.

If there are options to help people who are struggling with their primary residential property then all these must be explored. Giving back the keys or bankruptcy should not be the only options for these people who are trying to get back on their feet and who are trying to cut their cloth to their measure.

We'll all benefit from this I believe. I'm in agreement in that people should take responsibility for their actions but I dont want to drive every nail into them if they're doing everything they can to pay back debt and get on with their lives. Yes go get the ones with BTL's and who are still trying to live teh life of reilly while not paying their mortgages but not everyone is doing this and it is those that need this help.

That's where manageable repayments that change according to changes in the person's circumstances come in.

I'm not expecting that someone who's found themselves laid off, on the dole on €800 a month should pay every last cent of that to the bank - but they should be paying something

For example...

As I've said here before, I was laid off at the end of 2009 and out of work for a year. the FIRST thing I did on day 1 of my unemployment was call the bank to renegotiate payments on my personal loan. I similarly called the ESB and gas companies to explain the situation to them.

As a result, I paid a significantly lower amount each month while I searched for work. It wasn't easy, but I managed it and when I got a job a year later, even though it involved a 1000 km per week commute and paid less than my old one, I still rang the bank back and offered to pay more (not the same as the original amount, but a fair number based on my increased means).

THAT'S how (in my opinion anyway) you manage your debts. Sure it means swallowing your pride, being upfront and honest about it, and being fair with the bank - but the idea of "just walking away" from my responsibilities, or saying "ah shure, I'll pay you back when/if I get a new job!" was never on the table and to be honest, never even entered my head.

It may take me longer, and it may cost me a little more (interest adjustments etc), but in the end I'll repay everything I owe because that's what I agreed to do, and it's not your responsibility (or anyone else's) to pay it for me. It was my choice to take on those debts and I have to live with the consequences.

That's where manageable repayments that change according to changes in the person's circumstances come in.

I'm not expecting that someone who's found themselves laid off, on the dole on €800 a month should pay every last cent of that to the bank - but they should be paying something

For example...

As I've said here before, I was laid off at the end of 2009 and out of work for a year. the FIRST thing I did on day 1 of my unemployment was call the bank to renegotiate payments on my personal loan. I similarly called the ESB and gas companies to explain the situation to them.

As a result, I paid a significantly lower amount each month while I searched for work. It wasn't easy, but I managed it and when I got a job a year later, even though it involved a 1000 km per week commute and paid less than my old one, I still rang the bank back and offered to pay more (not the same as the original amount, but a fair number based on my increased means).

THAT'S how (in my opinion anyway) you manage your debts. Sure it means swallowing your pride, being upfront and honest about it, and being fair with the bank - but the idea of "just walking away" from my responsibilities, or saying "ah shure, I'll pay you back when/if I get a new job!" was never on the table and to be honest, never even entered my head.

It may take me longer, and it may cost me a little more (interest adjustments etc), but in the end I'll repay everything I owe because that's what I agreed to do, and it's not your responsibility (or anyone else's) to pay it for me. It was my choice to take on those debts and I have to live with the consequences.

Yes but not everyone is as educated on these matters. The banks dont go through things with you in the event of problems. Many people get scared, get worried, dont realise that they should do exactly what you did. I know many would like to blame them and say tough luck but that isn't necessarily their fault.

We have a culture (partly due to our penal laws on debt which are the worst in Europe) of not talking about it. If people did talk about it and banks worked with people then maybe we wouldn't have as much problems. Even looking at the reporting on arrears on the central bank website shows worrying statistics. There are large numbers of people going back into arrears even after a deal has been done. If the correct deal was done then this shouldn't happen. Certainly not in the numbers that the central bank is reporting.

I'll give you an example that happened to me. I wanted to reduce my capital payments on my PPR/PDH by 400 for 1 year to help my family out while we're at the peak of our costs (kids). I went through the MARP process and the banks own mortgage advisor said that my current expenditure on "entertainment/scoial life/ presents etc..." was very low, as were my bill costs and that was I sure I did not want to increase those costs. I told her they were what they were because we're economising and know I wanted to be 100% honest about it. She agreed I needed the 400 euro per month for the short term (this would mean I was still paying full interest, part capital for 1 year) and that was what she proposed to her bosses (our bank). The bank came back and refused the offer and instead only offered an 11 year extension to our mortgage reducing the monthly repayments by only 200 euro. We accepted reluctantly as it would take too long to go through the internal and external appeals process but this to me was a stupid mistake on the bank (except for the significant increase in interest the bank will get on the life of the mortgage).

Now if they're unable to see the merits and negatives of a deal where I wasn't in arrears (pre arrears) and still (in my mind anyway) screw it up the offer then I cannot believe that they are properly negotiating with those in arrears and substantial arrears.

Many in arrears are scared and worried and dont know what to do and this needs to be addressed as currently it all seems to be in the banks favour (particularly with the new legislation due in soon). PS I'm 35 ;)

Yes but not everyone is as educated on these matters. The banks dont go through things with you in the event of problems. Many people get scared, get worried, dont realise that they should do exactly what you did. I know many would like to blame them and say tough luck but that isn't necessarily their fault.

We have a culture (partly due to our penal laws on debt which are the worst in Europe) of not talking about it. If people did talk about it and banks worked with people then maybe we wouldn't have as much problems. Even looking at the reporting on arrears on the central bank website shows worrying statistics. There are large numbers of people going back into arrears even after a deal has been done. If the correct deal was done then this shouldn't happen. Certainly not in the numbers that the central bank is reporting.

I'll give you an example that happened to me. I wanted to reduce my capital payments on my PPR/PDH by 400 for 1 year to help my family out while we're at the peak of our costs (kids). I went through the MARP process and the banks own mortgage advisor said that my current expenditure on "entertainment/scoial life/ presents etc..." was very low, as were my bill costs and that was I sure I did not want to increase those costs. I told her they were what they were because we're economising and know I wanted to be 100% honest about it. She agreed I needed the 400 euro per month for the short term (this would mean I was still paying full interest, part capital for 1 year) and that was what she proposed to her bosses (our bank). The bank came back and refused the offer and instead only offered an 11 year extension to our mortgage reducing the monthly repayments by only 200 euro. We accepted reluctantly as it would take too long to go through the internal and external appeals process but this to me was a stupid mistake on the bank (except for the significant increase in interest the bank will get on the life of the mortgage).

Now if they're unable to see the merits and negatives of a deal where I wasn't in arrears (pre arrears) and still (in my mind anyway) screw it up the offer then I cannot believe that they are properly negotiating with those in arrears and substantial arrears.

Many in arrears are scared and worried and dont know what to do and this needs to be addressed as currently it all seems to be in the banks favour (particularly with the new legislation due in soon). PS I'm 35 ;)

Well see that's my point though - the banks need to be made (legally required if need be) work with their customers to agree realistic and manageable terms with them that are appropriate to their changing needs.

What happened in your case is that process failed. You approached them openly and honestly and went through their processes and they still rejected something which their own application officer conceded you needed.

That's an internal process failure where the faceless "review board" didn't note this conclusion from their own staff member (or it wasn't included on the internal application), and ultimately you now being in arrears (if I read that right) is their fault, not yours.

That's what I'm talking about when I say lenders should be forced to work with people. If you hadn't given them full disclosure of the situation, or if you hadn't been entirely honest about the circumstances and they rejected it, or if you hadn't approached them at all until they had started chasing you for money then that's different but by the sounds of it you did everything you could to avoid going into arrears.

All you need to do then is keep full records of the application, any correspondence/notes, details of people you dealt with etc - so that if (god forbid) it does get messy/legal down the road, you can show you honestly made a genuine effort to repay which is all you can do... but there's a massive difference between restructuring an agreement to manageable levels, and asking for part/all of that agreement to simply be "written off"/"forgiven" and THAT'S where my problem lies with the idea.

EDIT to add: In your place I probably would have rejected the €200, pointed to the conclusion of their own staffer and told them to go look at it again/take me to court and the judge can decide.. but that's easy for me to say sitting here! Like my own situation at the time, I realise it's not always that simple when you're faced with the pressures that prompted the request in the first place.

• Advertisement

Well see that's my point though - the banks need to be made (legally required if need be) work with their customers to agree realistic and manageable terms with them that are appropriate to their changing needs.

What happened in your case is that process failed. You approached them openly and honestly and went through their processes and they still rejected something which their own application officer conceded you needed.

That's an internal process failure where the faceless "review board" didn't note this conclusion from their own staff member (or it wasn't included on the internal application), and ultimately you now being in arrears (if I read that right) is their fault, not yours.

That's what I'm talking about when I say lenders should be forced to work with people. If you hadn't given them full disclosure of the situation, or if you hadn't been entirely honest about the circumstances and they rejected it, or if you hadn't approached them at all until they had started chasing you for money then that's different but by the sounds of it you did everything you could to avoid going into arrears.

All you need to do then is keep full records of the application, any correspondence/notes, details of people you dealt with etc - so that if (god forbid) it does get messy/legal down the road, you can show you honestly made a genuine effort to repay which is all you can do... but there's a massive difference between restructuring an agreement to manageable levels, and asking for part/all of that agreement to simply be "written off"/"forgiven" and THAT'S where my problem lies with the idea.

No I'm not in arrears. Thankfully. When we accepted the offer we wrote to them saying we wished that it was officially recoded that we were extremely disappointed that they rejected both ours and their own mortgage advisor's recommendation. But again that's because like yourself I've tried to be proactive as well as open and honest about my finances. Not everyone is like this and they need help. Like you say the banks should be forced to deal effectively and not just the usual sop of term extension or interest only. These measures for many people in arrears are just pushing the problem down the road for a short while. People dont have clear guidance on how to deal with debt. All the government can offer is a website and a free visit/consultation with an accountant. If we put as much effort into dealing with these people in arrears as we have with dealing with the bank debt we'd be in a much better position as a country then we are. Because all we're doing at the moment is closing our eyes to the bigger problem facing us in time.

I would not favour debt write off's where people stay in their home but as I linked to with McWilliams idea earlier. A process where part of the debt is parked for a period and the other part of the debt is continued to be paid off monthly and the family remain in situ then the property sold at an agreed date down the road (10-20years) and the bank take their share/percentage of the property value to repay the debt.

this frees up some cash for said family to spend in the domestic economy. The debt is repaid in full and their are reasonable consequences for the debtors but not penal ones. This is on the understanding that up until the deal was done that the family have done all they can to curb spending and this is the only realistic option other than repossession.

EDIT to add: In your place I probably would have rejected the €200, pointed to the conclusion of their own staffer and told them to go look at it again/take me to court and the judge can decide.. but that's easy for me to say sitting here! Like my own situation at the time, I realise it's not always that simple when you're faced with the pressures that prompted the request in the first place.

As I said it would have been a slow process to appeal and at the end of it we could still be seen as uncooperative with the bank. We took the option that with formally complaining while accepting the offer we could use that as evidence later if god forbid we ever do go into arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Trust me they're already leaving:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/emigration-at-famine-levels-as-200-leave-country-each-day-3339480.html

What do you think is keeping the live register and thus our social welfare numbers/costs down?
    How many of them owned houses?

the_syco wrote: »
    How many of them owned houses?

No idea of the stats but simply by leaving (for what ever reason) and reducing our population and thus the numbers paying taxes (and buying goods in the economy) there is a greater burden on the rest of us. Although it could equally be said by leaving some are saving us money by not claiming social welfare etc...

No idea of the stats but simply by leaving (for what ever reason) and reducing our population and thus the numbers paying taxes (and buying goods in the economy) there is a greater burden on the rest of us. Although it could equally be said by leaving some are saving us money by not claiming social welfare etc...
    I'd say most people leave due to no job here, and so won't need to be paid social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP

What's the situation with your tenant?

Do you even know if they are still resident in the house? Have they not paid cos they've left & not told you? Are they still there?
    Is there a " management" company or Estate Agent involved?

Do you have/know a neighbour who can give you insights?

Was the house hired out through an agency etc? Have you tried calling the " tenants" etc ; what response did you get etc.

First few posters were right; the bank can sell at any low rate they want. "My" company always did credit checks for any director they were going to be dealing with. We refuse a lot credit on sale of goods/services; credit card transactions or bank transfer & clearance delay. Not a great way to be trying to negotiate deals & business for the rest of your life. Not to mention many professions, jobs and opportunities that this will preclude you from ever having.

It seems to be the tenant that's the straw that's breaking your back. Can you deal with this? Do you have any friends you can rely on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

They should have bailed out boi and aib, stayed completely out of anglo,
    leave it to bondholders ,let it fail ,as dictated by market forces.
    Putting billions into anglo made no sense,most loans were to builders ,or developers ,it was built on speculation and reckless lending .
    IT would maybe have been bought by a private company for its assets.
    INstead we are left paying billions to bondholders.
    a woman was on the radio 2 weeks ago,loan 400k, house worth 2ook,dublin,south, works 3 days a week, she pays x amount per month.
    WAY less than the full mortgage, single woman,1child.
    THE bank just look at her income, say pay x amount per month.
    LEAVEs Her with enough to pay esb,food, basic expenses.
    HER Income is down by 65 per cent since 2008.
    She,s looking at getting rid of internet connection to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The thread is asking for advice on his problem : problem tenant ,not paying the rent & walking away from his obligations.

Why not suggest something on these themes? Start with the tennant....

Unfortunately the OP hasn't come back on with any more info.

Since you're out of the country OP the onus is on the tenant to collect tax. Have you been paying tax up until now? If so why dont you threaten to report the tenant to the tax man for not collecting the tax. They may also be claiming rental tax credits on rent they're not paying. It might scare them to pay or leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Please walk me through this slowly. How exactly has the country benefitted and in what tangible ways from the bank bailouts?
    Also, to what extent do you believe the banks that were bailed out were 'systemic' as you put it, and do you actually believe that the alternative to bailing out those banks would have been 'total chaos and turmoil'?

Deep breath.
    We have had this debate many many times either her or in Politics and I would still be of the opinion, like a lot more people I would guess, that two banks were systemic to the Irish economy.
    They would be BOI and AIB.
    The number of people banking with them, the number of businesses banking with them, would mean their demise would have disasterous consequences for the Irish economy.
    Claiming otherwise is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Anglo and INBS definetly were niche players, too exposed to the Irish property bubble and this was evident at the time of the bailout/guarantee.
    Also CB and IFRSA also knew, yes knew, the shenanigans that they had been up to over the years and that should have been enough to warn the Dpet of Finance and government.
    Of course CB, IFSRA, Dept of Finance and government were incompetent gimbs looking out for their mates.
    So much for regulation and governance.

Yes there would have been consequences to the demise of those two, probably for pension funds and the like or for banks that had exposure to them (ehhh IL&P/PTSB for instance).
    But IMHO it would be similar to battelfield triage where limbs were removed to protect the body itself.
    Trying to save everything was a death sentence of sorts.

Of course you may have the opinion that they should all swing, but lets be realistic how would our country function if the majority of people and businesses had no bank in the morning ?

I have been employed in 5 different companies and contracted in a lot more.
    I would say 80% odd of them used either AIB or BOI for their banking.
    What would happen to those businesses if suddenly their bank was gone.

The benefit, if you want to label it as such, to us bailing out systemic banks was that we continued having some semblance of a banking system, even if it is insolvent and not fully functioning from the lending perspective.
    If they hadn't been bailed out we would have had riots in the streets as people were queueing looking for their savings.
    Overnight the majority of people's cash flow, credit cards, bank cards would be useless.
    Now if you want to try a Pol Pot year zero then that is fine, but if you want to have an economy of some sort it aint good.

BTW I am using the definition of "bailed out" loosely here, I am not getting into the actual mechanisms, but just generally agreeing that the taxpayer would have to come to their aid in some monetary fashion.
    riclad wrote: »
    leave it to bondholders ,let it fail ,as dictated by market forces.
    Putting billions into anglo made no sense,most loans were to builders ,or developers ,it was built on speculation and reckless lending .

Totally agree.

BTW if you keep typing like that I will get you a new keyboard for next christmas. ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    I think AIB and BoI were pretty much balls deep in Anglo at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

the_syco wrote: »
    I think AIB and BoI were pretty much balls deep in Anglo at the time?

I think they were exposed in a big way to Anglo alright.

RE uk bankruptcy ,there,s an article in the irish independent ,yesterday,businessman brought to court ,by bank, and nama.
    Owes bank 29million.HE transferred all his propertys to his wife,
    applied for uk bankruptcy ,has to wait till may for it to be complete.
    HE owns various propertys in dublin,temple bar area.
    Whats the point of giving loans to a married person,if they can just go to uk,get bankruptcy ,and transfer their assets to their spouse?
    MR quinn tried to do this and his bankruptcy application was refused in belfast,
    as most of his business,depts , assets,are based in ireland.

even so the government could have said,anglo is a private company,
    we will gaurantee ,aib, and boi.And thats it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

riclad- please, please, please use a bit of punctuation, grammar and syntax- it'll make your posts a hell of a lot easier to read.

The case you're referring to looks likely to end up in the highcourt- and its more to do with the rent receivable, and the fact that the properties weren't declared to the UK bankruptcy courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 smurf73

There is no easy answer to your situation. I was in a muddle similar to this at the start of the recession. What I did was sell the house myself and did it up and worked hard to pay back the bank and now I've finally sorted it and I'm saving for a new home. It hasn't been easy at all and most people who have found themselves in this situation will agree. One thing is this I do feel you are better to sort it out than hand it over to the banks as this way you may get free of it financially quicker. The other option is deal with tenant, kick them out and do up the property get good tenants in at a good deal and get maybe a deal with the bank. Interest only is not an option as the loan will never be paid down try and see if you can pay variable or fixed option as interest rates are expected to go up this year. Maybe you can sell when the market comes good again ... Either way their is no pain free or quick solution but doing nothing and hoping it wil go away isn't an option either my friend :-)

IF you choose to go interest only, the payments are reduced by 50 per cent approx .ITS a short term solution .
    You should concentrate on getting out the tenant ,by following the legal eviction process.eg Give notice, at least 4 weeks notice to quit ,send registered letter etc
    You should register the tenant with prtb, as this gives you some legal standing.Otherwise you could end up getting fined for not being a registered landlord.
    It,s possible you may have to take the tenant to court ,to complete the eviction process ,If they do not leave after getting notice to quit.
    You are the landlord ,its up to you to carry out the eviction process in a legal manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭modo85

op the bankruptcy in the uk seems one of your best options, i know of a couple in serious n/e who rented a house for 3months and 1 day and got their bills sent to their place (up north) to prove thye were living their and were able to claim bankruptcy in the uk and everything is grand for them now. another option is personnal insolvency. another selling the house, lets say you still owe 150k after they sell that will stay in the mortgage account.. in the meantime you go and rent another property, the bank will get you to fill out a balancing sheet with your ingoings and outgoings (you must tell truth 100% or lima will hunt u down and cut ur balls off), the bank will send this to the top boys in the bank who will in turn assess this and decide what u can afford to pay off the 150k a month.. if u refuse to pay this amount they will bring u to court were the judge will decide how must to pay over a certain amount of time ( the judge is more likely to be on your side than the bankers)..

when all is sorted lima and all the cry babies will open their payslip and see a 1 euro increase in tax :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

modo85 wrote: »
    op the bankruptcy in the uk seems one of your best options, i know of a couple in serious n/e who rented a house for 3months and 1 day and got their bills sent to their place (up north) to prove thye were living their and were able to claim bankruptcy in the uk and everything is grand for them now. another option is personnal insolvency. another selling the house, lets say you still owe 150k after they sell that will stay in the mortgage account.. in the meantime you go and rent another property, the bank will get you to fill out a balancing sheet with your ingoings and outgoings (you must tell truth 100% or lima will hunt u down and cut ur balls off), the bank will send this to the top boys in the bank who will in turn assess this and decide what u can afford to pay off the 150k a month.. if u refuse to pay this amount they will bring u to court were the judge will decide how must to pay over a certain amount of time ( the judge is more likely to be on your side than the bankers)..

when all is sorted lima and all the cry babies will open their payslip and see a 1 euro increase in tax :D

clearly you havent read the ops full post. Wants to open a business back here next year, if he applies for bankruptcy he cannot be the director of a company for a significant length of time ergo that is a terrible option for him besides which the OP can pay and wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭modo85

no its not a terrible option once discharged from bankruptcy you CAN be a director of a company... no he would be stupid to keep paying even if he can afford to when legally there is ways around not paying it.. just cause a few of you think it is morally wrong doesnt mean he shud keep paying, thats what is wrong with people in this country they always do what is morally right even if it is totally the wrong option, he needs to do what is best for him not you or anyone else... do you think the tds and politicians are doing what is morally right for you???????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

modo85 wrote: »
    no its not a terrible option once discharged from bankruptcy you CAN be a director of a company... no he would be stupid to keep paying even if he can afford to when legally there is ways around not paying it.. just cause a few of you think it is morally wrong doesnt mean he shud keep paying, thats what is wrong with people in this country they always do what is morally right even if it is totally the wrong option, he needs to do what is best for him not you or anyone else... do you think the tds and politicians are doing what is morally right for you???????

Morally wrong?
    I'm not sure if you're aware of how the bankruptcy process works.
    You can't ringfence one bad debt from the rest of your assets/means and get rid of that bad debt.
    It affects any other assets you have- and your credit record.
    If you have other property- it can be purloined to pay the debt, and your ability to hold credit cards etc is also closely monitored.

In the UK you can get discharged from your debts within 12 months- however any other assets can be used to satisfy those debts as part of the process- and if you try to hide assets, the entire process can be voided.

An inability to pay is wholly different from not wanting to pay but being capable of doing so. Thats what people here are saying. Morality aside- the OP is capable of servicing the debt, and indeed has plans to open a business here. He doesn't want to service the debt. Different matter altogether.

Advertisement